Summer of Pony ~ Session VIII [S1E19-20]

l6abs.png

Summer of Pony '12 ~ Session VIII ~

Introduction/Schedule

Previous Sessions:

I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII

A Dog and Pony Show, Green Isn't Your Color

Welcome to Session VIII of Summer of Pony! Sorry we're running a bit late. I forgot that I left Weesh in my closet. We have a fun game in store this week for all of you trope-hunters out there!

Rarity fans, your time has come! Everyone's favorite fashionista is revealed for the world to see her faults and triumphs. But first...

Session VII Speedpaint Results!

LOTS OF PICTURES!

final.png

final2.png

final3.png

Weesh, Slave of Rose

Scootaloo1minutechallenge-day161.jpg

Sweetiebelle1minutechallenge-day163.jpg

Diego "the Amazing" Havoc

rarity_1minute.jpg

sb_1min.jpg

Ginger "the Destroyer" Mint

thetest-1.jpg?t=1339372439

Angie "Dairy Queen" Cakes

SCOOT.jpg

Parker "I drawed a chicken" Izing

mlp_speedpaint_challenge_by_boss_hoss1-d53iqqf.jpg

Boss "I raise real ponies" Hoss

Nice job, everypony! I'm really surprised to see what some of you can do in a minute! Fantastic!

So much pony! Watch:

"A Dog and Pony Show" Original airdate: March 11, 2011

When hunting for jewels in a cave with the help of Spike, Rarity is kidnapped and held as slave labor for a group of canines known as the Diamond Dogs.

"Green Isn't Your Color" Original airdate: March 18, 2011

While perusing photographs of the dresses she made for the Gala, a famous fashion photographer, Photo Finish, is more interested in Fluttershy than Rarity. Meanwhile, Twilight Sparkle tries to keep secrets told to her by Rarity, Fluttershy, and Spike, with help from Pinkie Pie. Forever.

To be honest, I only remember Pinkie Pie and her "forever" thing. Also Rarity's "This is whining." So...I'll watch these and get back to you! *squee*

A Dog and Pony Show is the episode that made me a Rarity fan, and is my goto episode to show a new person when they tell me Rarity is their favorite character. Why? Well, the biggest reason you can see below in my first entry for this week's game. It deepened her character, while being uproariously funny. I connected both to her fear, and then her comfort as she moved about in her element, even if it was deep under ground.

Game of the Week: Trope Hunter!

A collaborative exploration of the Tropes in this week's episodes

Procedure:

1) Watch/Remember Episodes

2) Identify Trope

3) Post: Incremented trope number, name of trope, link to the trope on TVTropes.org, and an explanation as necessary.

I shall start us off:

#1: Damsel in Distress, Rarity in Spikes daydream sequence, averted by Rarity in the real storyline.

#2: etc.

How many tropes can we find in all?! Let's find out!

K12ax.gif

So... what you are saying is that this week's theme is being sucked into the void that is known as TVTropes.org...? I'm not sure how I feel about this...

Oh well I suppose I can play along.

Must...not....click...too much... -keep repeating that mantra-

Uh, Rose? You put one of my pics in Parker Izing's spoiler box. But thank you for "The Amazing". Made my day! :)

TVTropes? Hah! I'm not getting suckered into that again! *spends one or two hours a day trawling for pony pics on Ponibooru*

Both these episodes are really good. I may actually watch them again this time, instead of going by memory, or only watching parts. :P

To be honest, I only remember Pinkie Pie and her "forever" thing. Also Rarity's "This is whining." So...I'll watch these and get back to you! *squee*

I love the bit where she stamps her little feet whilst saying "But I thought you waaaanted whiiiining"

Uh, Rose? You put one of my pics in Parker Izing's spoiler box. But thank you for "The Amazing". Made my day! :)

TVTropes? Hah! I'm not getting suckered into that again! *spends one or two hours a day trawling for pony pics on Ponibooru*

Both these episodes are really good. I may actually watch them again this time, instead of going by memory, or only watching parts. :P

Oops! Sorry about that. Fixed! :)

hi hi

So, um... yeah. I'm not so good at that whole TV trope thing. I guess I'll just have to do another wall of text commentary that maybe one and a half people will read. :P

I admit this episode was never at the top of my favorites list, but I certainly don't think it is bad by any stretch of the imagination.

And I actually enjoyed this episode a lot more watching it through this time than I did the first time. Knowing what to expect from the pacing made the episode not feel quite as rushed. Also, this may have been the episode when Tabitha St. Germain really started pushing the limits with her voice acting. The way she turns the accent up to 11 during the imagination sequences, and her different squeaks and things. Top notch for sure.

Starting the episode off with something sensational, I gotta say that Sapphire Shores is an awesome character. She's got the voice, she's got confidence practically bubbling out of her mane, and she's got a unique pony model to boot. How awesome is that? Mares don't usually get unique models. I especially like the pointy nose she's got, it reminds me of Woona from Moonstuck (although I think this predates that little filly by a while.)

Elvis costume? ... yeah, I could see it working for Sapphire.

"Spike, a lady is never jealous." That's not what it looked like to me. :lol: Seriously though, Spike does manage to pull off some lines that aren't just a self conscious attempt to impress Rarity, so bonus points for him.

The way Spike digs through the ground like its nothing though, perhaps he really is an Earth Dragon or something?

Someone needs to make a Spike version of the Noooooo Button, assuming they haven't already done so and I'm just missing it. If you ask me, Spike was a lot more convincing.

Maybe its just me, but I think Fluttershy's method for getting down the holes is the best. Just stand in the middle and watch :P (Hey, it worked about as well as anyone else's)

Now for some controversy! Spike may be trying to save Rarity, but after seeing Applejack's reaction after his Dragon Lancer daydream, my money is on Spike x Applejack*.

Applejack_and_Spike_S01E03.png

Spike_and_Applejack_giggling_S1E26.png

Spike_Applejack_best_party_ever_S2E10.png

* I'm not actually serious, but what would an episode thread be without a bit of controversy? Actually, if I remember correctly, this episode drummed up quite a bit of controversy back when it first aired. People thought that Rarity whining was an example of "Females Being Manipulative," which I recall disputing at length. (and would dispute again if anyone tried proposing it now.)

Once again, Pinkie Pie steals the scene by zooming through the tunnels like its an amusement park ride and performing a swan dive at the end. :D

Twilight Sparkle: "No! I can't use the gem finding spell."

Spike: "No Twilight, you are the gem finding spell."

And then Twilight was Rarity.

I suspect that since friendship is magic, friendship is part of what powers Twilight's special talent for magic. She sure seems to have picked up a lot of new spells since she came to Ponyville anyway. Perhaps the fact that Rarity needed her help in turn helped give her the focus needed to cast the spell? Thats my head-canon anyway.

"Dogs do not pull, ponies pull!" Aaaactually, hate to break it to you Mr. Diamond Dog, Sir...

800px-Iditarod_Ceremonial_start_in_Anchorage%2C_Alaska.jpg

The lesson of this episode actually works well for kids I think, especially in that context. Kids need to not cooperate with kidnappers as best they can.

Anyway time for the remix of the episode. This one was hard to find, and its mostly for humor value. I thought you wanted whining (DJ D-Dog mix)

Starting the episode off with something sensational, I gotta say that Sapphire Shores is an awesome character. She's got the voice, she's got confidence practically bubbling out of her mane, and she's got a unique pony model to boot. How awesome is that? Mares don't usually get unique models.

I could definitely get behind more Sapphire Shores. I will admit that it is just a little strange to hear a voice like that come out of a white pony : )

And Rarity's response! Makes her seem human. Er, real. I got a chance to talk one-on-one with the author of "mouse guard" once, and I was a bubbly mess. I think I cried, and I am not sure I said anything intelligent, but he didn't make me feel bad about it. And then I ran away.

Also: #6: An emotional faint from Rarity

I don't think I've ever met anyone famous before, but I suspect I'm just as capable of "flipping out" as the next person, or as Rarity would say, being quite in awe.

I think it depends on the timing of the meeting and how sudden it feels.

I didn't think that I would get to say anything to David Peterson, and when he was suddenly alone, I jumped at the chance to talk and realized in the aftermath that I had made a fool of myself

When I suddenly found myself face to face with Paula Poundstone after a show, I was completely terrified. There was zero warning, and I just said a few words and ran away before I could repeat the David Peterson experience.

But if I ever saw Mark Rosewater, I bet I would be ok, because not only has he answered over 100 of my questions on his AMA, he publicly acknowledged that I ask good questions when people started complaining about how many of mine he was answering.

Also: #8 Death Glare, from pinkie, played straight, but also messed up when she tries to eat an apple in dramatic fashion.

hi hi

Oh my glob! Twilight's face in that second comic... its actually the expression she has in the episode too! :lol:

Anywho... Its time for Green isn't Your Color! This is one of my very favorite episodes, probably number three if I had to place it in order. (Rating episodes in order is pretty hard to do though, so I might be wrong about that.) Watch, I'll end up not being able to say much about this episode.

Love how excited spa pony looks when rarity says "the usual" I bet Rarity spends a bit of bits. Once again, another good example of how ponies truly enjoy the work they do. I'm really quite envious of the cutie mark system Equestria has going.

I only just noticed this now, but there's some really cool ambient music that I can barely hear unless I crank up the volume playing during the spa scene. I'd never turned up the volume for this episode before, but I'm glad I did.

Even though Fluttershy didn't really like being in the spotlight, it fits Rarity so perfectly to be able to recognize her grace and poise. Seeing the very best in somepony is right in line with the Element of Generosity, especially when you consider how closely tied generosity is to having an appreciation for things above and beyond yourself.

I tried jotting down notes for things to remember to write about, but sweet merciful celestia, the bit between Spike, Twilight and Pinkie Pie about his crush on Rarity is just too good for words. If you ask this ponynaut's humble opinion, the running "FOREVER!" gag and everything that goes with it is right up there with "who's on first," in the class of universally funny routines. The interplay between characters who know and characters who should but are either pretending or are unable to catch the hints that the audience is clued into plays a big part I think.

Also, 100% the truth: Trust is super duper extra important in just about any relationship, be it friends, family, romantic, etc. Losing trust really is a surefire way to lose a friend. Important life lessons, as demonstrated by ponies. :)

(Interesting thing to notice: did you see the way that assistant pony jumped into the background after opening up the camera case? Crazy perspective work there.)

When I go to a photo shoot, I often end up taking hundreds of pictures. Sure, thats really easy with digital photography these days, but even back in the days of film, not using a full roll of film at an assignment would have been crazy. I wonder, do they use magic to develop photos? I bet that would make things easier than sitting in a dark room for hours.

I can understand why Rarity would have Twilight's gala dress on her dress hanger, but why does she have the dress Twilight wanted her to fix a button on too? :P

I love all of Photo Finish's assistant ponies, they all have such clever designs. I'm not sure if they've had another pony in the show with their tail done straight up like the orange haired assistant.

"Don't be ridiculous, you're only facing a large crowd of ponies who will be watching your every move and silently judging you." One of the best lines in the episode. :D

During the Fluttershy fashion montage, seeing that carrot flavored drink on the banner that was being pulled through the sky really makes me wonder what a carrot flavored soda would taste like. I mean, I absolutely love carrot cake, so I bet someone could make a delicious carrot soda.

Fluttershy's reaction to being a star in this episode really exemplifies a sort of duality about her character. She may not stand up for herself and she does feel its important to help out her friends, but at the same time, she doesn't like being pushed around or having decisions made for her. Even simple things like Spike fussing over her dress was enough to get a grumpy look on her face. I remember some people saying back in season 1 that Fluttershy raging was contrary to her character, but I think its an integral part that makes a lot of sense. She has strong feelings but tries to keep them bottled up inside, but when she can't hold it in anymore, she ends up bursting out (as it were.)

I know I said this before when this episode came up the first time and everyone was talking about it, but I loved how they got the whole "letting it out," thing right. Contrary to popular belief, catharsis doesn't reduce anger or stress. "Letting it all out," by screaming or punching a pillow (or kicking a vase) doesn't help. All it does is make you feel more comfortable with being angry, and that leads to anger management issues when you make a habit of it.

"Who is saying these things?" Oh my, I love the total deadpan way those lines get delivered.

I don't know what it was, but watching this episode again, even though I'd seen it plenty of times before... That part where Rarity confesses that she wanted Fluttershy to fail? I got a tear in my eye. Call me sappy if you must, but I think that is a really heart touching moment.

I think I'm going to have to watch this episode again sometime soon, but for now I must sleep. Before I go though, its time for the remix of the episode:

Interesting comments Ginger. How did Fluttershy get to be graceful? She certainly didn't develop it in order to be noticed.

And this certainly shows the Spa ponies at their finest. I wasn't sure exactly why I like them so much, but I think you are on to something there. They love their job, and Rarity appreciates their work very much.

And now I have to go back and watch the assistants again...

hi hi

Well, if my experiences playing hide and seek as a child are any indication, going unnoticed takes a lot of grace and dexterity. Or maybe its all those years of tiptoeing through the minefield known as social interaction. :P

I think the troubles of Equestria are part of its charm. Its not that there are no problems, no work that needs being done in Equestria, but that ponies are encouraged to and rewarded for helping out -big or small- and as a result, things actually get done and in a timely, orderly fashion to boot. Sure, it may be an oversimplification, but thats the overall impression that I get.