Fun and Useless Facts

All Best Before dates on packets of crisps manufactured in the UK fall on a Saturday.

When threatened, the hairy frog (or "horror frog") intentionally breaks its own bones to produce claws that puncture through the frog's toe pads to become defensive weapons.

Hippo milk is pink.

A fish has a memory of 3 seconds.

In order to gain one pound in weight, a seal has to indirectly consume 10,000 pounds of tiny marine plants called phytoplankton. The 10,000 pounds of phytoplankton are eaten by 1000 pounds of tiny marine animals called zooplankton, which in turn are eaten by 100 pounds of small fish such as herring or anchovies, which provide food for 10 pounds of larger fish, which are eaten by the aforementioned seal.

Crystal Quartz has a Mos Hardness Scale of 6, meaning in can scratch tile. Diamonds are a 7 on the scale.

Rose Quartz and and Smoky Quartz are formed by different atoms in the mixture.

Amethyst is a variant of Quartz.

Lapas Lazuli is made of three types of minerals: Lapas (the blue part), Lazulite (the white), and iron pyrite (fool's gold)

Flourite is a mineral that is found in toothpaste.

Calcite can bubble when a diluted acid is applied to it.

Halite is made of Sodium Chloride (table salt), so in licking this stone it will taste salty.

Alexandrite (my birth stone) appears different colors in different lights going from pink to green to black. It is also more expensive that a diamond.

The Hope Diamond (a large blue Diamond) resides in the Museum of Natural History in the Smithsonian.

Coal comes in two types: bituminous (faster burning) and anthercite (longer burning).

(Yes, I collect and study rocks and minerals as a hobby).

The human mind doesn't read individual letters, but words as a whole, so if words are jumbled up, as long as the first and last letters stay the same, the mind can make them out. So spelling doesn't matter!

The national anthem for the united states was created by a flag company in an attempt to stay in business.

The bayonet is rarely used as an actual weapon in war. It's actually just supposed to make a line of charging soldiers look scarier.

eating Chocolate in the morning is healthy

The Cuban missile crisis was Russia's retaliation for the united states putting Nuclear missiles in turkey (which is relatively the same distance to Russia as Cuba is to the US)

Not sure if these are useless (especially the chocolate one) but I find them interesting, and it took me awhile to remember them off the top of my head :P (I did not use google xD)

The novelty of Ice Cream in a Cone was said to be created on accident at a World's Fair when a man selling ice cream ran out of cups and met another person who was selling cone cups.

American currency is made with more Zinc than Copper or Silver.

Lockheed Martin's experimental military aircraft facility is called "Skunk Works."

Centralia Pennsylvania was a town, but due to mine fires burning, the town has been evacuated and demolished.

Lakeside Amusement Park in Colorado has been the inspiration for the Lakeside Amusement Park in the Silent Hill series.

The Sternum, which connects the ribs together and forms the front of the rib cage, is made of cartildge, not bone.

The Salk vaccine, used to treat Polio, was given free of charge to patients.

The youngest marriage was between a 20 month and a 21 month child. It was the result of the settling of a land dispute between two farmers.

Knoebel's Amusement Park has a special rollercoaster named the Phoenix. It was discovered in Playland Park in Texas (an abandoned park) and was named the Rocket. Each piece of the coaster was numbered and shipped to Pennsylvania and rebuilt. In 1985 the coaster was renamed the Phoenix and has been considered onw of the best wooden rollercoasters in America.

it takes 13 workers to run a SPAM factory.

SPAM is made of ham and shoulder meat, not mystery meat.

when SPAM was invented because back in the day, it was hard to compete in the market with fresh ham. canned ham was the better option.

SPAM was originally called "spiced ham".

the name SPAM was invented by a drunk man at a party. the party was held for the purpose of thinking of a name, because drunk people are creative people. nobody remembers exactly what it means, although you would think it's a mixture of the words "spiced" and "ham".

Manitoba was a country for a month.

"If you break your legs, don't come running to me!" lol (of topic)

Contrary to popular believe, the Daddy Long Leg spider is not the most poisonous spider in the world. The Phoneutria nigriventer.

Portal 2 Was Originally Set In The '80s And Had Giant Chickens And Smoking Robots

Halo (the game) didn't start off as a shooter, it was meant to be a real time strategy game. Steve Jobs was stoked about it, too.

If you can read this, that is cool!

• Like 1

Greek Fire was a weapon used in naval battles where when coming in contact with water it bursts into flames. To this day, no one has figured the exact formula for it.

A fish has a memory of 3 seconds.

Suddenly, Dory is the only character on Finding Nemo that makes sense to me now. xD

eating Chocolate in the morning is healthy

Now if only I actually liked chocolate. Can we change that to Skittles, please? D:

Frogs can't swallow with their eyes open.

Elephants are the only mammal that can't jump.

The norm used to be pink for boys and blue for girls.

Oysters can change their own gender.

And on the subject of Pokemon, it was started from Satoshi's childhood hobby of collecting insects and Pikachu became the mascot because its yellow color scheme is easily recognizable to children.

Greek Fire was a weapon used in naval battles where when coming in contact with water it bursts into flames. To this day, no one has figured the exact formula for it.

Naphtha and Sodium :kissy: You wellcome! (well that´s my theory) based on Sodium: A metal that reacts violently with water, and Naphtha, an old petroleum derivate that burns, mix it and presto! (I'l mix some sulfur as oxidizer so it don't extingishes underwater and oil so it clings (like in Rome's "Tunica molesta")

Love the smell of napalm in the morning.