How to buy an MLP item from a store without drawing attention..

Soarin

Today, I was at the mall and walked into Spencer's. I saw some unnameable items (if you know what I mean) and in the key chains, I saw a few My Little Pony ones. I was overwhelmed and picked one up and was about to buy it when I realized that I was a guy. Then, after that, I realized how ridiculous it would look if a guy like me, or any of us (someone who doesn't look like they use the computer excessively, which no one here would) went to the checkout with that. I'm not afraid to admit anything, usually, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. How do you all get past this? Is it easier for girls?

• Like 1

I remember when I when into hot topic to buy my first MLP shirt. I was really embarrassed but luckily I had came there with my cousin that day. There was a shirt there he wanted and normally he wouldn't get it on his own same with me and the MLP shirt. So we both ended up getting the shirts together witch helped with a confidence booster when paying for him. What I am trying to say is maybe take someone with you who might like the show or something else that isn't normal for there age. I have gotten over my problem of being a closet brony and wear my MLP shirt proudly now (most of the time). I hope this helped and if not you could always try to by it online. I'm sure what ever it is they where selling can be found online.

What FiM item(s) did you find there? Normally they stock...uh...other stuff.

I'm a firm believer that most retailers don't really give a flying feather what they're selling. More often than not they want to make the sale and get you out of their hair -- it's a store that sells stuff of adult nature, anyway, so I'm sure they've seen everything.

That said, why lie? Take pride in what you enjoy.

• Like 2

Simple... Just do it! The more awkward you look, the more attention you draw. People don't ask questions unless they see need. If you are confident or do it nonchalantly they assume its for someone else. But even then its people around you, not the cashier. Believe me, if they have been working long enough, especially in spencers... A guy buying MLP merch is not the strangest.

• Like 1

I usually do, but the lady behind the register is.. older. There was a really cute, nice girl there before, but then her shift ended and everything went downhill.

\ <-- Hill

\

\

\ ooop

\ OOp <-- Explosion at the end.

Spencers... I didnt know they even carried MLP stuff...

Now at Hot Topic... (granted I loathe the chain for other reasons) I went in there and spent a good 30 minutes discussing MLP with both clerks who were also bronies. So... maybe it's the fact it _was_ hot topic as opposed to spencers, but...

Not that anyone would likely have said anything anyway since I was wearing my wonderbolts shirt and carrying my Rainbow Dash messenger bag (and my wolf tail and my large serpant hooks... actually everyone probably just thought I was a freak :P (of course this was in Atlanta, so on second thought, they probably though I was just normal :blah: ))

I got my blindbags as follows:

Step 1: Walk into walmart

Step 2: Went to the toy isle

Step 3: Looked for the MLP section, found the blindbag box.

Step 4: Did some math to see how many blindbags I could afford

Step 5: Moved a few from box 2 to box 1 (17 in total)

Step 6: Take full display box

Step 7: Walk around walmart for half an hour with display box looking for my ride.

Step 8: walk around walmart for ANOTHER half hour with display box while my ride does grocery shopping.

Step 9: go to checkout and buy 17 blindbags, say "I'm keeping the box" to the six foot tall cute guy at the register

Step 10: Go home and rip open blind bags with my friend!

I'm the worlds most shameless person though, but honestly it's not as bad as you think it is. What impact on your life will receiving a strange look from someone you'll never see again have?

Store clerks aren't paid to tell customers what they should and shouldn't buy. They can actually get fired if they do!

Never under estimate the power of self confidence! If you own something about yourself, only the truly insecure will question you. And if you really do own that something about yourself, those questions will seem rather silly and insignificant to you.

I work in retail and I can safely say that no one working at a big chain store like where I work really cares if you are buying pony stuff. Most of the time we will just assume you are buying it for someone you know like a younger sister or cousin or even a gag gift. Worst case scenario if you are really embarrassed just ask for a gift receipt that will instantly making us go "oh must be a gift" but most of the time were to busy to really care.

I'm a dude who spends a lot of times playing sports or at the gym. I picked up some pony toys, walked up front with my other purchases and owned up to it.

"Oh are these for you sir or a niece?"

"For me."

Conversation was over. I'm a pretty gruff guy at times though also.

• Like 1

I'm a dude who spends a lot of times playing sports or at the gym. I picked up some pony toys, walked up front with my other purchases and owned up to it.

"Oh are these for you sir or a niece?"

"For me."

Conversation was over. I'm a pretty gruff guy at times though also.

Just like I said! Own that something about you!

Brohoof for confidence!

/)

If you really want to be secretive, do it at Christmas. Or buy online.

Unlike many of the other peoples, I don't see a problem with being secretive.

If you don't want people to know, that is fine. Take the fandom at your own pace. Maybe someday you will feel comfortable buying publicly, but if you never do, that is also fine.