Other Fandoms

Discussion time! I've noticed in my time as a brony that lots of fandoms tend to meld together and cross over. The two biggest fandom mixes with MLP that I notice are the Sonic and Dr. Who fandoms. Personally I only have time for Brony stuff (if I had more free time, I'd probably dive into Dr. Who). But it got me thinking...

What other fandoms are you a part of?

How long have you been with them?

What has your experience been with other fans of this fandom?

In your opinion, how do your other fandom(s) compare to the Brony fandom?

Is MLP your primary, or secondary fandom?

And of course, would you like to see more interaction between the MLP fanbase and your other fandom(s)? Do you think the increased interaction would be helpful to either/both?

Please keep in mind that every fandom has it's dark areas and jerk faces, as well as it's crowning moments and wonderful people. So lets keep this in mind and keep it civil!

I'm in the Capcom fandom

been with em for years now

Tell the truth, a lot of the Capcom fandom are complete whiners, if its "Hey, we made a new IP, try it out!" or "Hey, we're catering to the fans, like you've been freaking begging us to!", the Capcom fanbase always has to whine about something, always saying it is a trap or something, and how Capcom is purely evil and greedy, it just makes me want to yell "TAKE A LOOK AT THE DANG MIRROR!", Capcom have made plenty of great games, and you fans repay them with nothing but flaggawaddling zip whiddle first class whining.

And to be fair, Capcom have done things in the past that made me angry too, such as the DmC reboot. And despite this I said "I'll be open minded, give it a chance if you show me some decent gameplay, or maybe bring back original Dante."

The Anti-DmC fans just said

"GET RID OF NT! THEY MADE A SELF INSERT!" \

or the pro-DmC fans said

"LOL UR JUST MAD CUZ HAIR IS BLACK!"

It cannot compare to the brony fandom as it is the polar opposite, while the brony fandom is made of civil, open minded people, the capcom fandom is made mostly of close minded jerks.

(Please note: I am talking about the Capcom Unity forums, not the Capcom fanbase as a whole, alot of the fanmade sites are pretty open minded, a reason to stick to them instead.)

Primary is definitely brony.

I definitely think Capcom fandom can take a few lessons from Brony fandom

Proud member of the Halo Nation and all things Bungie XD Whilst I have met a few not so likeable people, the others have been great. Plus Bungie loves their fans and the community! I'd say im tore between Bronies and Halo. Though I have been with Halo for longer so only time will tell :D

Primary is MLP.

There is no second thing at the moment. There are many other works that I care about, but I am no longer involved in any of the forums or other hallmarks of a fandom of these other things.

Previously, I was a fan of the webcomic Megatokyo, and I still have a blanket, a poster and an autographed sketch hanging in my living room, but eventually the update schedule (and the brashness of the other fans) frustrated me out of thinking about it daily. Nowadays I try to check the site once a month or so.

I've also been part of an SG-1 fandom. This MLP fandom has been the best so far.

Are you planning on answering those questions krytpchild?

Primary is MLP.

There is no second thing at the moment. There are many other works that I care about, but I am no longer involved in any of the forums or other hallmarks of a fandom of these other things.

Previously, I was a fan of the webcomic Megatokyo, and I still have a blanket, a poster and an autographed sketch hanging in my living room, but eventually the update schedule (and the brashness of the other fans) frustrated me out of thinking about it daily. Nowadays I try to check the site once a month or so.

I've also been part of an SG-1 fandom. This MLP fandom has been the best so far.

Are you planning on answering those questions krytpchild?

Oh, right!

Well uh, actually MLP is my very first and so far only fandom! I've never been drawn to any fan based content or discussions in anything else really. My first and only fanfictions (both written and read) have all been MLP fanfics, and although I've done a little guilty gear fanart that came out horrible, I've only ever done fan art (or any real art) for MLP!

For me, it's a close tie mbetween mlp and Kingdom hearts.

I've only been an mlp fan for the last half a year..... Kingdom hearts is my childhood.

In comparison.... Kingdom hearts fans are spoilers, trolls, and kids who "Think" they know how to sword fight thanks to playing a video game. yaoi fanfics and obese cosplayers are also very common..... we also do nothing but whine about waiting for the next main console game....... it's only been 6 years.....

interaction? Neeiiighhhhhhhhhhh....

For me, it's a close tie mbetween mlp and Kingdom hearts.

I've only been an mlp fan for the last half a year..... Kingdom hearts is my childhood.

In comparison.... Kingdom hearts fans are spoilers, trolls, and kids who "Think" they know how to sword fight thanks to playing a video game. yaoi fanfics and obese cosplayers are also very common..... we also do nothing but whine about waiting for the next main console game....... it's only been 6 years.....

interaction? Neeiiighhhhhhhhhhh....

Sounds alot like the Zelda fandom

But Who cares, I actually do know how to sword fight, and own twin katanas IRL, do I go showing it off? No. Because I didn't learn it from Devil May Cry, I trained with them, and used them to realistically battle.

What other fandoms are you a part of? Well, I am not actually in any other kind of fandom where people talk about the shows and speculate and make original characters. Primarily I am a toy collector, so there are a few communities that I am a part of. The My Little Pony, more traditional fandom (which is Toy-centric and little, if any, attention is paid to the media), Studio Uoo, and don't click this if you are horrified by creepy dolls: Blythe

• My Little Pony since the CBMLP Listserv days. So at least 1998, but an active collector sans internet since 1995. And of course a bona-fide target-audience appropriate little kid who just SQUEALED when she got Dream Castle for Christmas, and got ponies for every special occasion from 1984 until about 1988. (to the point that if I ever won one of those room makeover prizes that were constantly advertised on TV at the time, I would have made a huge table with a landscape for all my pony playsets.)
  • Studio Uoo since around 2008. In order to get these figures if you are not Japanese you have to Network.
  • Blythe since 2007.
  • Various indie rock label messageboards since 1999 (mostly Barsuk, Elsinor and K Records)

I'd lurked on the fringes of a few other ones throughout the year, but they just seemed too full of posturing and drama, so I never actively participated.

• I've seen a little drama in the MLP toy fandom, but for the most part not everyone takes plastic ponies that seriously and are pleasant.
  • The Studio Uoo fandom is a little small, and some people are a little elitist (In an "i have them all, why are you photographing the same 6 figures you have) kind of way, but the creator is such an adorable guy with such a fun vision that it makes a difference. And every once in a while you met a gem of a person who also enjoys them. Most of my interaction with this fandom comes from Flickr.
  • The Blythe Fandom. Well, that one is an interesting one. For a good deal of it, the people are great, ESPECIALLY the people local to me. It's a very "trusty" kind of community where every day people are letting total strangers borrow or work on dolls worth several hundred dollars, and EXTRAORDINARILY generous (someone is ALWAYS raising tons of money for a cause through custom doll auctions) I met two of my closest friends who have not been co-workers first through this community (we have way more things in common than just these dolls that we barely ever talk about them anymore), and most of this interaction is through Flickr. Like the My Little Pony toy fans, though, sometimes you will meet people who just don't seem to get that these are just plastic toys and not worth all the drama.
  • The indie rock messageboards, The KRecs one, once upon a time, was a completely wonderful place, and I met my future husband's roommate (at the time) through it. She came to visit me, dragged him along and the rest is history. I still have IRL friends from the Barsuk one even though I haven't posted there in at least 5 years. Elsinor was just people from the Barsuk board obsessing over the Rev. Hydra.

• Apples and oranges. There is more talk of customization and technique in the other communities I am in, and most of the chatter is about things totally not related. They're all very :"collection sharing" communities. The people are for the most part equally nice, and the little attention babies are about the same. There is considerably less talk about Anime and video games in the other fandoms though, and I am not expected to simply understand a reference to meme as a reference joke because it is not that kind of culture.

• Primary. But really, we're talking about an all-encompassing love of the line, period. Not just FiM. This is the only one I RP at though.

And of course, would you like to see more interaction between the MLP fanbase and your other fandom(s)? Do you think the increased interaction would be helpful to either/both?

• I am pretty OK with it as-is. I don't like to force ponies on other people. There is quite a bit of overlap between most of the fandoms I am in, so it's cool for my purposes. (Even so far as the fact that the the girl who animated Holly Dash is actually also a Blythe collector).

Let's copy Flutterscotch...

What other fandoms are you a part of?

Sonic the hedgehog.

Duh, since 1991

Good, generally...

Not at all, I dunno if Sonic still counts on me, basically I abandoned it

Primary Of course.

Dunno, Sonic fandom is famous after how divided it is, I doubt on the value of their possible aportation, or if told aportation being a poisoned gift.

I don't know if this counts as a fandom or not... I'm a member of the SCA, a reenactment group. It's a whole different world.

But we have a lot of the hallmarks you would associate with a "fandom." We dress up in funny clothes we spend hours making, there are long arguments over what is and isn't accurate representation, opposing interpretations of limited media (people will argue for hours how a tent in the background of a painting would have been assembled.

It is my primary because I've been doing it for 7 years and have thousands of dollars invested in it.

However, I do more MLP reading/writing on a day-to-day basis. Been a brony for a year and a few months, not sure exactly when...

Since the SCA has been around for over 40 years and has a real structure, there is an actual power base and very real politics. So "fights" get a lot more entrenched there and there are often very real winners and losers in conflicts.

Beyond that I collected manga and anime, but was never active in the fandom beyond talking to the 2 or 3 other geeks at the comic shop that bought the same stuff.

My first love is Anime and it will always be the first fandom in my heart. Might take that love with me to the grave. I started out with anime around the late 1999 and joined a local community. That community blossomed and soon I attended anime cons like crazy. We even have our own Manga published (which is still on sale for today locally here, the rights are owned by my EX and she makes a living out of it) and its going strong to this day. I eventually became head admin of the local community forums. We had Anime Episode Viewing in libraries (way back when broadband internet was a luxury) and thanks to Anime, I got into RPing.

As I graduated college and started to have a job, I joined a local Playstation Enthusiast group. I was soon helping out in showcasing what Playstation (PS3, PSP) had to offer in local cons and anime cons. I was part of the public relations team for our community and even started writing video game reviews for a local video gaming magazine. I even had the pleasure of talking live on air in a local radio station that talked about video gaming. I'm still part of that group but no longer participate in cons or other PR stuff. I just thought it was time for the "youngins" to handle the next step and I just sit back and help with other simpler stuff.

As for MLP, I've only been a brony for barely a year but its had such a huge impact that its also right to the top of my list with Anime. I can't choose from the two. I love them both. Aside from the two fandoms I mentioned above, MLP has taught me how to vector ponies (which got featured in an EQD drawfriend - its drawfriend #9), do subtitling projects (like this:

) and others things I'd love to go into detail. This fandom has enabled me to do things I would have never thought of doing in my other two fandoms above. I guess you could say that this will be on the top of my list but its tied with my anime fandom since I had a lot of memorable and good times with my anime community.

Other fandoms that I may have had a brief moment with:

Steampunk - Got so into this when I started college, sadly it died when I graduated.

Dungeons and Dragons - I've been into this for so long since high school and got addicted to it in college. I still have a few games with old friends every now and then.

Star Trek (TOS,TNG,DS9,VOY) - The only fandom that I shared with my mom. She loved TOS and VOY a lot that we spent times together watching this when it aired on TV. We finished most of the seasons together, especially the reruns of TOS. I enjoyed this particularly because hey, how cool is it to be in a Sci-fi fandom with your mom? I still watch my VOY collections in memory of her (she died a few years ago from cancer).

I've previously been active in the South Park, Minecraft, Sonic, Pokemon, Half-Life, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars online communities. After a while, I've stopped actively participating in each of them and I know that one day, I'll leave MLP behind when I find a new primary fandom to belong to (but not today, though :D). In my experience, MLP stands out the most for the extremely high-visibility of fanwork; no other fandom as a whole seems to value and promote fanwork as much as MLP's. No other fandom seems to value proselytizing to potential 'converts' as much as MLP's as well; one of my long-time online buddies (the one who encouraged me to watch the show, in fact) takes great pleasure in finding others willing to give MLP a chance. I believe MLP fans and other fandoms benefit from more interaction as long as we are not acting like we've just come out of 4chan, hehehe.

At the moment, I do not actively participate in any other fandoms, unless you count contributions to certain gaming boards, namely Tribes: Ascend.

Also, concerning Capcom...they are dead to me. Capcom's poor treatment of the Megaman franchise literally kills part of my soul. Megaman has always been one of their most popular (and original) franchises, and to see Capcom openly neglect it despite the resounding fan support has caused me to lose faith them.

• 2 weeks later...

OOO I love filling out questionsss.

What other fandoms are you a part of? Doctor Who, and Avatar (both The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra). And, heck, I'll admit it -- furrydom, to a lesser degree.

How long have you been with them? Doctor Who, since high school. I had no patience for sci fi until I had foot surgery my freshman year of high school and had noooothing to do. And my mom thought it would be funny to make me watch the 1996 movie while I was on heavy painkillers. (The movie was not good, but Paul McGann was great.) Then she started me on the Tom Baker episodes and I was hooked.

I'm pretty sure people in the next county over could hear the fangirl screech when they announced they were rebooting the series.

Avatar, for a shorter time than MLP even! I hadn't even watched it until earlier this year and was instantly hooked.

Furries I ended up with kind of as an accident. I drew animal people as a kid (as 10-year-old, not only were people hard to draw, they were boring to draw), and I had friends who also drew animal people, and we sort of collectively ended up finding people who also drew animal people. So, furries. I was way more into it in middle and high school than I am now. I try to fight the feeling on occasion, but a combination of going to art school and furries being the punching bag of the internet shamed me into other pursuits. :<

What has your experience been with other fans of this fandom? Pretty awesome. Granted, I mostly bop around Canterlot and EQD on occasion, but for the most part the people I've met have been respectful and well-behaved. I occasionally see fallout of Tumblr-drama on the ask blogs I follow, but when is there not Tumblr drama?

In your opinion, how do your other fandom(s) compare to the Brony fandom? I love Avatards like I love my bronies. And I honestly prefer bronies to most Whovian gathering places (though individuals are pretty cool, one-on-one). It seems like there's a lot of negativity in the Doctor Who communities I've found.

Despite being the whipping boy of the internet, furries are pretty cool for the most part. Some are into some weird things, and also into oversharing, which is a terrible combination, but I've met my fair share of really chill and awesome ones.

Is MLP your primary, or secondary fandom? Primary. Avatar's looking to be a close second. I've loved Doctor Who for longer than both combined, but I'm not nearly as involved with the community.

And of course, would you like to see more interaction between the MLP fanbase and your other fandom(s)? Do you think the increased interaction would be helpful to either/both? I've seen Korra!ponies and it pleases me immensely. And, duh, Doctor Whooves! There's so much Doctor Who/MLP interaction. It's fantastic, like bananas.

It'd be nice if there were less resentment/"KILL IT WITH FIRE" attitudes towards furries, but that goes for the whole internet basically. I don't necessarily consider myself a furry so much as someone who draws them on occasion, but the furry community is where I did a lot of my artistic growin'. I got a soft, fuzzy place in my heart for it.