Canon map of Equestria

hi_resolution_equestria_map_by_pixelkitties-d59w4iv.png

So this official map has been recently revealed by Pixelkitties, demonstrating the geography and landmarks of Equestria. So many unvisited places!

BrianblackBerry must be weeping right now...

Note the "Not to scale" on the bottom left, and the lack of "that place" that's introduced in Season 3. I guess if it ever gets updated, it might be expanded even further.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't know what Brian is going to do when he finds out... This could be something of a headache in regards to our RP. :/

That aside, it still is kind of cool. :)

Could someone who is well acquainted with the cannon locations explain which locations are completely new?

Also, how do I get one of these maps?

Also also, I am a HUGE fan of that "Dragon's be Here" shout out to the maps of olden times.

Pardon me for wearing my sceptic hat, but should we really consider this map canon if it hasn't been featured on the show itself? Unless FiM's creative staff had a hand in developing the map (which I somewhat doubt given the nature of how merchandising), this map may end up being no more official than the current RP map. For a prime example of a franchise's merchandising featuring inconsistent geography, just look at The Simpsons. In every Simpsons game that allows you a chance to roam or drive around Springfield, the street layout and location placement change in every single game. In other words, unless we have confirmation that the FiM crew will commit to a geographically-consistent Equestria as depicted in this map, I feel there is no reason yet to scrap the current RP map.

With that said, I hope a clearer image of the map shows up in a few days; some of the names are kinda hard to read in the image.

Pardon me for wearing my sceptic hat...

Can anyone think of anything from the show that contradicts this map?

But what really matters is this: does the show move from here on out with this as the guide? I'm ok with the world changing to this if it stays consistent once they draw a line in the sand.

This is awesome! Anypony noticed the 'Yonder to Griffons' on the right of the map?

Also, I bet the Badlands at the South of Equestria was where Spike met the dragons.

Yeah, I couldn't really make out the 'Yonder' part.

Probably was the place. Sure has enough lava to fit the setting.

Can anyone think of anything from the show that contradicts this map?

No obvious contradictions; Ponyville, Canterlot, and Cloudsdale are located in their correct spots as per the map featured in Family Appreciation Day. But that's not what concerns me.

But what really matters is this: does the show move from here on out with this as the guide? I'm ok with the world changing to this if it stays consistent once they draw a line in the sand.

And that's the big question. With all the Chaos Geography present in the show already, I wouldn't trust anything less than an in-show map of Equestria pinpointing all the periphery cities surrounding Canterlot/Ponyville. Unless we see such a map in an episode though, I would prefer it if the RP stuck with BrianblackBerry's map (which I admit I have become rather fond of).

Hmmm, I suppose that if it comes down to it, nearly all the locations that originate in the RP (Stalliongrad, Aquellia, Itaily, ect.) could be relocated... if rather painfully. At any rate, it's probably not a good idea at this time to make a new RP map until we have a clue as to the whereabouts of "that place" in Season 3.

Hey, don't worry about our RP map too much. We've already added places that aren't in show, and probably never will be. It's already inaccurate! I say let the mapmaker handle it, and if we need user input, there will definitely be a topic up for you guys. We've got our own established board canon, with elements that will never be in show anyway. We've already steered off the path of completely true canon. So maybe the map will change entirely, maybe it won't. This map does give us some new locations, and there will be at least one more in season 3, so we'll probably wait to see if anything is revealed about these places.

Pixelkitties posted a link to a high res (10 Megs) version of the map. So here's a link to a link.

http://my.deviantart...sages/#/d59w4iv

Some other posters..Hopefully someone will post a better pic of the "Season 2" poster.

http://www.equestria...cture.html#more

Observation: the "official" map appears to be very very loosely based on North America. Note that all the periphery cities are located in the approximate spots that their real-life namesakes would be on a real map. There's even a Vanhoover in the northwest corner! Assuming that the real world can serve as a somewhat reliable guide for placing Equestrian cities, then Hoofington/Washington would probably end up on the south shore of Horseshoe Bay (fittingly right next to a swamp), while poor ole' Trottingham would be on the other side of the Pond from Equestria-proper.

Nitpick alert: I think Los Pegasus should actually still be Las Pegasus, since Las Vegas seems to be the more obvious namesake for the place than Los Angeles.

Ah, until seeing the higher resolution, I missed the "hollywood" parody.

Also, I had been unable to read "vanhoover" and "hayseed swamps"

I can't think of any swamps in the USA that are even close to "hayseed" in name. Am I missing something?

The most fascinating thing is that the railroad goes off the map both to the north and to the south. It will be interesting to find out if that is relevant...

I don't think the Hayseed Swamps are meant to correspond to any real location, just as there's little-to-none real-life inspiration for the locations that make up Equestria's "Core" (Ponyville/Canterlot/Cloudsdale/Everfree). On that note, I wonder if the city of Tall Tale just south of Vanhoover has a real-life namesake?

Nitpick #2: Shouldn't "Dodge City" actually be Dodge Junction? :?: