So we all know the Mayan calendar ends on December 21st of this year. And that is supposed to be the day the world ends and such. i honestly think it's just a thing that makes life fun, like the zombie apocalypse. Any thoughts on the subject? Just wanting to know.

(P.S. My birthday is December 21st, also known as the winter solstice, and the first day of winter.)

Supposedly the whole "End of the Maya Calendar is in 2012" thing has been widely discredited.

From Wikipedia:

Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a popular belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun, at Long Count 13.0.0.0.0

Still, it is such an amusing thought that I'm glad people are messing it up. For instance, it was the backbone of this funny "Bug" comic: CLICKY.

Also, I was shocked to visit the Yucatan peninsula and discover that there are still people who speak Maya as a primary language.

On december 21st Hasbro will air the last episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic due to a legal battle with contending toy companies and films over obscure copyright issues via references. With the sudden increase in fan numbers following the premier of Season 3, Bronies will break 1 billion fans.

With the announcement of the premature cancellation, mass riots will erupt in every major city in every country with public internet access. Military and police forces that would normally quell the riots will be seriously undermined due to over half of their forces being involved in the riots themselves.

Trigger happy militaristic micro nations will use the anarchy to their advantage, launching simultaneous missile and nuclear strikes on every super power nation to take them out of the running, opening them up for more free and radical military development and action.

• Like 1

Its all a load of rubbish this whole 2012 world ending thing. there has been so many end of the world events and..oh look! we are still here.

and I am going to wake up on the 22nd of December and say these words "oh yeah that thing happened yesterday....oh well time to draw!" and continue on to 2013 awaiting season 4 of MLP and hopefully a third season of transformers prime.

An apocalypse (ancient Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apocálypsis, from ἀπό and κaλύπτω meaning 'un-covering') is a revelation of something hidden.

The apocalypse is not the end of the world. It is the beginning of a new era. That's all.

Part of me does hope something happens, with how bad things are right now in the world somethings gotta give.

Rather it be on this predicted day or some other day way later somethings gonna happen.

End of the world? Maybe not

Something big happening? Possibly

Its the possibility that intrigues me, no one can say what will happen or what will not happen.

Paranoia is not in my nature, if something happens I can only say:

Bring it on

Considering those fellows didn't factor in leap years, i'd say the world was suppose to end a few years ago.

The Maya had been observing the solstices for at least 1000 years before they calculated the solstice for the year we know as 2012. This was enough time to extrapolate a few thousand years and get an error of less than a day.

The only significance the day is going to have for me is I'm calling it the 100 year pre-versary of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQEgZNqa8jE

Image containing inappropriate content/themes removed by staff.

I was totally going to bring up 2112, but you know. Thanks, Rush, for a masterpiece. Thats my two cents.

Edited by Artax
Content removed.

Those old civs are so much more intelligent then most of the population now-a-days.

That assertion makes me a little angry.

Edit

I deleted my angry words, and will come back in a few hours after I have cooled off and state my case with a clearer mind.

There was a time in human history when nobody had a concept of "zero". So, nah, I think stuff like going to Mars and knowing that washing your hands prevents diseases proves we've been getting smarter.

Fun fact: The guy who pressed the idea of washing your hands before operation was laughed at. A lot. and no one believed him.