[Correspondence] AMA: Princess Edition [OPEN]

Dio

[colour=#000080]It was another casual day in Ponyville. Ice had just finished up her day at her store and finally got time to check her mail. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"A letter from Celestia? I haven't done anything wrong have I?"[/colour][colour=#000080] she thought to herself aloud at first until she opened the letter. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]

[/colour]

[colour=#000080]My dearest subjects,

With the success of the latest Canterlot Royal Public Relations open house, I have decided to open up additional avenues for the ponies of Equestria to contact the palace and get to know the Princesses better. For the next month, Luna, Cadence, and myself will be answering letters from you! You can ask just about anything within reason. We will answer your questions within our abilities, time, and prudence. Thank you all for participating!

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia[/colour]

[colour=#000080]

[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Oh, well I feel silly now. Of course the princess would send bulk letters. I don't even know what possessed me to think I would even remotely be in trouble..."[/colour][colour=#000080] she said to herself. She made her way back into the store and went up into the living quarters of her store. It wasn't as clean as she would have liked it, but as she was preparing for a wedding it was to be expected. Or at least that's what she thought. With a bit of her own magic, she separated three different parchments. One that she would send to each princess. She doubted that hers would get any sort of response, but it was still a kind gesture either way. She labled all three of the letters to the appropriate princess and to decide which one she would write to first, she closed her eyes and shuffled them around in the air. The parchments landed back on her desk and Luna's had been the one that landed on the top of the stack.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]

[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Dear Princess Luna,[/colour]

[colour=#000080]It's me Ice Storm. I don't know if you remember me or not, but we met a good bit ago in Canterlot park. I was sitting on a hill star gazing and another smaller filly joined us later by the name Fire Heart and we went to a coffee shop together. I first off wanted to say thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to have all the conversations with us that you had. That night was truly one of the best nights I had ever experienced in Canterlot.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]I know that I said it many times while we were together that night, but you truly re one of the most inspirational ponies I have ever met. I know that what you've gone through was incredibly hard, and that nothing else can really compare to what you've gone through, but I guess that the biggest reason that I've come to admire your strength so much is that I myself had been a victim of Abandonment, by my own parents no less. And it gives me strength every night that I look up to your stars and I realize what you had to over come, and I know that deep in my heart that if you could over come something as devastating as that then there's no reason that I couldn't be strong and persevere as well. And even though we didn't get to spend a whole lot of time together I still consider you to be one of my closest friends, and the only pony that's actually saved my life more than once without even knowing it. And believe me, every where that I go, I do everything in my ability to support your name and help bring it into the light. And Everything to make sure that you know that you are indeed very much loved. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]It has been your guidance though your sky that has turned me into the mare that I am today, and I have to honestly say that I don't know where I would have ended up without your strength radiating into me from above. It was one of the highest honors to have gotten to meet you Princess Luna, and an even higher honor that you have let me call you a friend. I'm dead set on doing everything that I can on living up to that title. Oh, and before I forget, I've also gotten engaged since we met! Earlier in the week I had sent out invitations for the wedding here In Ponyville. I must ask have you received yours yet? I sent it about a week or so ago and made sure to plan it in the evening time, since I've heard that you tend to do your sleeping during the day, (not that I blame you of course, if I could get away with it I'd be the same way) so that if you had the opportunity and wasn't busy, you could attend. It would mean everything to me if you could attend, but I know that you're extremely busy so I understand completely if you are unable to. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]That being said, I humbly look forward to your response, and hope that all the other letters that you have received thus far, and all the other letters that you will receive, will be as nice as the one that I had sent today. If ANYPONY sends any hate mail let me know, it would be my honor to deal with them personally. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Your Caring Friend,[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice Storm

[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Satisfied with the letter, she looked outside. It was already dark out. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Wow, that took a lot longer than I thought it would. I better at least get this one to the mailbox so that it gets out in the morning. I can work on the other two tomorrow,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said to herself as she went out and dropped her letter in the mailbox. Instead of going back inside to stay however, the night outside was beautiful and she granned the blanket off of her bed and went to her special spot in the park, and decided that it would be a good night to sleep outside. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Well, well, it seemed the royal mail box had received a sudden influx of letters. Princess Luna was happy to oblige all who cared to take time out of their day to send her a note. She had gotten quite a bit more mail than she anticipated, but it was a welcome activity to pass the time through the night. It helped her feel a little less lonely while she was watching over the quiet kingdom, silently sitting at her desk or on her balcony, quill grasped in magic, and the only sounds those of the nocturnal creatures and the scribbling of her pen.

The next post that reached her hooves seemed to be from a ship captain, although the name of his vessel seemed a little unorthodox. Well, Luna still wasn't entirely caught up with the latest trends, so perhaps that was a normal name for a boat nowadays.[/colour]

Dear Thunder Crash,

Thank you for your kind words. It brings a smile to my face to know that the night I helped create and must reproduce every night does serve some purpose, even if I myself cannot always see the results. I must admit, I have not had the pleasure of sailing as of yet. Business in Canterlot keeps me pretty tied down, and when it doesn't, my wings or magical teleportation can usually take me where I need to go. Mayhaps I could pay a visit to your ship sometime when you are docked. Of course, I do not mean to impose, merely that I believe it would be an enlightening experience to go on a short exploration of the sea, and the vessels thereupon.

I must say, however, that the next subject is not an easy one for me to address. But, in the interest of making peace among your shipmates, and also in putting your mind at ease, I shall. Nightmare Moon was a combination of both theories you mentioned. She was formed of my own magic, a manifestation that I created. She was a companion and a friend, one of the only few I had at the time. However, she was forged of hate, resentment, bitterness, and jealousy—all deplorable traits when left unchecked. But there was also justifiable reasoning behind my feelings. I was... not the most popular among ponies, and was frequently overshadowed by my sister Celestia. Despite what I was going through, it wasn't fair to try to punish everypony for things outside of their control. It took... a long time to contemplate the consequences of my actions.

I wish you good luck on your travels, and hope that my answer has been satisfactory. May the stars shine brightly for you, and may the moon light your way on those long nights traversing the sea. I look forward to the time when we may, perhaps, meet in person.

Sincerely,

Princess Luna

[colour=#000080]One down, three to go. Luna looked over the next letter. She found the speech a little different than usual, but she wasn't one to judge somepony based on how they spoke—or in this case, wrote. Ponies came from all over, from different walks of life and cultures. It was always enlightening to learn something new about the ponies in her kingdom, seeing as they had changed so much over time. Funnily enough, that was the exact subject of this letter.[/colour]

Dear Mojo,

Thank you for your compliments on my work. It means a great deal to me when anypony takes the time to acknowledge all that I do. It seems that even though most ponies prefer the daytime, the night is actually the more complicated version of the sky. And yet, sadly, the least appreciated. But I do smile every time somepony mentions the work that I do, whether in person or through the written word like this. Being appreciated is taking a bit of getting used to though.

If I could sum up what has changed, I would just say everything. Even Celestia isn't exactly the same as she was when I was banished. Ponies change, no matter how long you've known them. But, it is true what they say: “absence make the heart grow fonder.” But I digress.

I suppose I would say that the land has undergone the most change. Much of it was unpopulated a thousand years ago. Equestria was new, and small. There were only a few towns, spread out so far that travel between them wasn't feasible for anypony but a princess, or one of the hearty couriers. Any land that wasn't populated was wild, untamable by ponykind. But though life was simple, it was happy.

I don't know that I will ever stop being surprised when somepony asks for a photo or to paint a picture or to make a sculpture of myself. The adoration is appreciated, but usually unexpected. I would be most willing to entertain an audience with yourself, in order to secure my image upon your canvas. Painted portraits are something I remember from the olden days. I'm glad they haven't “gone out of style”, as it were. With all the attention I'm getting, I just hope Celestia isn't the one to get jealous.

As for Nightmare Night, it's no secret that my appearance was a “scream”, and quite literally at that. Although the customs of such an event are still a little new to myself, I have been conducting research into the history and traditions surrounding it, and familiarizing myself with the holiday that brings 'honor' to my alter-ego. I think it would be a fine idea for me to return, though perhaps it's best if you do not mention it to anypony. I get the feeling that a surprise appearance and bold entrance would be a pleasant surprise, if conducted in the right manner.

Thank you for writing me this eve, and I hope that my letter reaches you in good health and good spirits. I cannot wait to have a taste of this “cider”, and many other of the tasty treats found at the Nightmare Night Festival. I am sure that with or without me, it will be a celebration to remember, as it has been in years past.

Sincerely,

Princess Luna

[colour=#000080]Luna placed down her quill, standing up and stretching after her two lengthy replies. She poured herself a cup of hot chocolate from a kettle sitting on her desk, using her magic to reheat it before taking a sip. She sighed happily, preparing more parchment for the next letter. Ah, another from Penumbra, her new pony friend. It was encouraging to the princess that somepony cared to carry on the back and fourth conversation, instead of forgetting or putting off a reply.[/colour]

Dear Penumbra,

I am glad to see you in such high spirits! I hope I can assume that things with your friends are going well? While writing with me is fine, don't forget that you need real social interaction as well. A penpal, even a princess penpal, is not a replacement for a live friend.

I guess stopping by your house in person would be a bad idea then, right? Although I assume you don't live on a mountain, so you wouldn't be able to throw yourself off. But I suppose there's always the risk of a heart attack, even if I announce my intention to visit beforehoof. I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad as all that though, whichever of us has the opportunity to visit first.

The night sky is quite diverse, and actually changes with the seasons. So at different parts of the year, it could be like looking at a whole other sky. I guess that's why there are star maps. You can't really just look at the night sky and know what and where everything is, the same as looking at a land map. I hope that your observation of my work was enjoyable. Perhaps your friends would enjoy stargazing sometime. Maybe you could study the stars a bit, and impress them with your knowledge.

As for the land, much of it a thousand years ago was just as wild as the Everfree Forest. I can see that ponies of all kinds have been busy in my absence, clearing the land and creating new cities and towns. It's kind of amazing, everything that has been accomplished while I was away. It's also a lot to get used to. Keep in mind, though, that while the Pegasi are important, they aren't anymore important than any other pony. Equestria would never be the land it is today without the hard work of everypony who has ever resided here.

I hope that this letter finds you in good health, as usual. I look forward to the next letter from my penpal.

Your friend,

Princess Luna

[colour=#000080]Now, the last letter. Ah, it seemed to be from somepony that Princess Luna was already acquainted with. They had met in Canterlot one night, and spent the evening socializing. Apparently, Ice Storm had plenty more to say than what they had covered during their evening together, but that was perfectly alright with the princess.[/colour]

Dear Ice Storm,

It is good to hear from you once again. I am glad that you seem to be in good health. I hope you have been sleeping well, either in the day or night, whichever you prefer. It is also my hope that you do have other friends, even with the late hours you seem to keep. Have you met up with Fire Heart again lately? You two seemed to get along well, despite your opposite talents and names. Isn't that a saying? “Opposites attract”, or what have you. Not that I'm implying anything beyond friendship.

Thank you for your kind words to me, both in this letter and the night we first met. Such compliments put a smile on my face, and offer me encouragement that Equestria has indeed changed in my absence. I am grateful that you took time out of your day—or night—to write to me in the first place. It's good to know we are still considered friends.

You shall be happy to know that your invitation has been received. It is posted in my chambers as a reminder. I will make every attempt to attend, though be warned that the life of a princess is sometimes demanding, and my activities are not always certain and my time not always my own. At current, I do not have any interfering plans for the date, but one never knows what emergency business could come up. I surely hope that nothing shall stop me being there for your special day.

I hope to see you soon. Feel free to drop by the castle any time before the big day. If I do not see you before then, please know that making it to your wedding will be of utmost priority on that day. Keep in touch!

Your friend,

Princess Luna

[colour=#000080]Ice woke up in the morning bright and early from her restful sleep in the park. Anypony else would dread sleeping outside, but Ice wasn't anypony else. She loved staying out at night. Heck, she spent most of her fillyhood under the stars. Why should her adult life be any different. The stars were her guidance and her strength. She knew that as long as she could still see the stars, then her strength would never be faltered. When she got back to her store though to her surprised the mail had already not only picked up, but returned. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Wow, how long was I asleep?"[/colour][colour=#000080] she thought to herself wondering if perhaps she had accidentally slept away two days. She opened up her letter and was excited from what she read. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]The first set of questions were the obvious ones, hoping that she had been in good health and then asking if she had been able to meet up with Fire Heart again. Ice frowned a bit. It had been quite unfortunate that she hadn't been able to run into her again. Granted she didn't really get up to Canterlot as often as she would like to anymore with how busy her business has gotten. She' imagine she'd have more time though once it started to get colder to come up to Canterlot more, but then she doubted that Fire Heart would be out as much, considering that the cold has a very negative effect on her. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]She then continued on to the part where the princess thanked her once again for her kind words, both then and in the letter. That she truly appreciated what Ice was saying and that the compliments did came a long way to showing her that Equestria had indeed changed. That she was grateful that she took the time out of her day, or night, to send her the letter and that she still considered her a friend. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Why wouldn't I?"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said aloud to herself playfully. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]When she got to the part about the wedding though it filled her with excitement. Not only had the princess received the invitation but she had full intentions, barring an Equestrian Emergency or other unforeseen events occurring, on being at the wedding. That alone made Ice giddy with joy and only further heightened her love for the princess of the night. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]

[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Dear Princess Luna,[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Thanks for writing me back so quickly! I'll be honest I wasn't expecting a response for a couple days at least as I'm sure all three of you are extremely busy with all of the letters you receive on top of the rest of the duties that being a princess entails. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]I, much to my disappointment have not been able to get back in touch with Fire Heart. Since that night I had only been back to Canterlot on a couple of occasions. One of which was actually to meet up with her, but then the Public Relations Open House was announced and I couldn't find her. So I went to that hoping that she would be there. I didn't get to find her but I was able to meet your niece, Princess Cadence. She surely is something special, she even helped me, at least for the most part, bury the sadness of my past by helping me get to the root of the problem. Turns out I was dwelling to much on the things that I couldn't control. You must be super proud of her and everything that she's accomplished. Of course, with you and your sister being the two best teachers in the world, it would be difficult to expect anything less.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]And thank you as well. While I understand that there's always a chance that something could come up, it means the world to me that you have full intentions on coming to the wedding. If something does manage to come up, I know deep down in my heart that you wanted to be here, and the sentiment of that is really something special that can't be duplicated by anypony else.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]As far as dropping by the castle sometime, sure! I'd love to! Just sent me a letter whenever it would be a good time for you. I'd honestly thought about coming for a visit on a couple of occasions, but I was always afraid that when I'd show up, would be at an inopportune time. So whenever would be best for you, I would be honored to come by the castle.I look forward to seeing you soon, and I plan every bit on keeping touch.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Your Friend,[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice Storm[/colour]

[colour=#000080]

[/colour]

[colour=#000080]With a sigh, she wiped off her forehead. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Writing a letter is more strenuous than I though. Especially when you don't do a lot of writing often..."[/colour][colour=#000080] she said to herself as she put the letter in the mail box. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Okay, One more down, at least two more to go..."[/colour][colour=#000080] she concluded as she sat back down at her desk. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]

[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Dear Princess Cadence,[/colour]

[colour=#000080]I just wanted to thank you for all the help you've done. If it wasn't for you and Heart Healer helping me out on that day like you did, then I would have surely been at a loss, and I'd probably have never stepped foot in Canterlot again. Since then I have only managed to make it back up to Canterlot once, but it's for Unrelated reasons. My store in Ponyville has taken off and it doesn't leave me with a lot of time to travel anymore. Considering that everything I sell is frozen though, I imagine that business will drop a bit in the up-coming winter and I'll be able to come on once again.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]In the mean time though, how have you been? Have there been anymore of the Open Houses? If there were hopefully they weren't as disastrous as I had made the other one. I'm still super sorry about that. I know that as "justified" as everypony thought my actions were, I still can't help but feel that I severely over reacted and nearly ruined something you had worked so hard to put together. Speaking of which, I'm still down for that visit to the spa that you suggested at the Open House whenever you'd like to go. I'll just need to know about it a bit in advance so that I can make sure I've made the necessary precautions at my store. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]That being said, there's a snow cone here with your name on it if you ever decide that you want to pay a visit or if your ever in the area. You're more than welcome to stop by at any time, and hopefully you'll get to be here in about a month when my wedding rolls around. I do hope that this letter finds you in good health and that we are still on pleasant terms. Again, I'm sincerely sorry about what happened at the Open house.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Your Hopeful Friend,[/colour]

[colour=#000080]

[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"One more,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said setting the letter to Princess Cadence aside figuring she'd drop both of them in the mail at once. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]

[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Dear Princess Celestia,[/colour]

[colour=#000080]It is most unfortunate that of the three princesses, that you are the most popular of the princesses and yet the only one that I've actually yet to meet in person. That is one thing, that I hope that someday that I can fix. I must say that I've had the honor of talking to both your sister and your niece, and your sister has become one of my closest friends. She's been an inspiration to me ever since I was a filly due to a very hard and rough foal-hood that I had, but her stars and her guidance that she gives in the overnight sky every time that she raises the moon is almost unparalleled to ponies that have had troubled lives because of what she's had to over come. She's a testament to everypony that we can all over come our rough pasts to be a pony that can be a shining example and fun to be around. You are truly lucky to be able to call her your sister. To this day she's the most amazing pony I've ever met.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]As previously mentioned I've also had the privilege of meeting your niece as well at the open house that you spoke of in your original letter. you must be very proud of everything that she's accomplished and been able to do up to this point. She's even been able to help me, through a bit of counseling, work the built up hurt, anger, and tension inside myself to where I feel much more relaxed. Of course it didn't help that the main thing that started everything was the simple fact that own parent abandoned me when I was a foal in the pursuit of status and wealth. Princess Cadence and Princess Luna both have been able to help me through that in their own ways and now I'm well on my way to getting married next month. I honestly don't think I'd be the mare that I am today if it wasn't for Cadence's help putting my mind at ease and Luna's guidance and Inspiration. I can only imagine how much more wisdom I would be able to obtain by being able to meet and listen to you at some point. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]As far as everything else goes though I do have one question. How do you deal with everything? Like honestly, I only run a small business on my own and it's hectic enough trying to keep track of everything that's going on in one building, let alone an entire nation. I can't imagine the amount of stress that it puts you through on a daily basis. How or what do you do to be able to cope with it all and be able to calm yourself after a stressful day?[/colour]

[colour=#000080]I await your hopeful response.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Yours Truly,[/colour]

[colour=#000080]

[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Phew,"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice stated aloud looking outside. Those three letters had taken almost the entire morning to write. Of course she didn't really write short letters either. She took the two letters to Celestia and Cadence to the mailbox and placed them there with the one to Luna. Now all she could do was wait for the responses.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ah, another letter! This one was from Ice Storm again. Luna took her supplies out onto her balcony to read the mail and compose a reply, while she looked at the stars. She took extra parchment with her, perhaps for sketching or writing, if she fancied it tonight. But first, to return the letter.[/colour]

Dear Ice Storm,

Well, truth be told, my duties are a lot less straining than those of the day time princesses. There is plenty for me to keep occupied with, of course. While there may be many more ponies out compared to a millennium ago, the activity in the city and all over Equestria is still pretty minimal. As such, I welcome every letter I get. It's a good opportunity for me to socialize, without the hassle of arranging a time that is convenient for all.

I am glad that your experience with Princess Cadance was pleasant. I admit I don't get to see her as often as I would like, but my time with her is always joyful. With my being gone, Celestia has taught her most of what she knows. It's wonderful that she was able to help you, though. Perhaps she would somehow be able to help me with my past, as well.

If some emergency comes up that keeps me from the wedding, know that my heart and mind will be there, at least. But, so far so good. Nothing is currently interfering with my intention to go. I can't wait for your big day... but I bet that you're even more excited than I am.

And, as I said, my princess-ly task are much more flexible than those of Celestia. But if you're in the neighborhood, it couldn't hurt to stop by, right? Although choosing a date and time would probably work much better for both of us. Be sure to let me know when it would be best for you. Perhaps I can get in contact with Fire Heart before then, and arrange for her to join us as well, if that's alright. For now, though, I'm sure I could manage to get her address, if you would like to have it. Well, hope to hear back from you soon!

Sincerely,

Princess Luna

The letter that came across Thunder's desk surprised him; not so much that it really came, but so much that it came as quickly as it did. Of course, timing was probably second nature to someone that controlled the moon and stars. Reading over the letter, he smiled, and then let out a sigh of relief at the information that was disclosed. He'd be tacking this up in the galley for sure, just to make sure that anyone and everyone who even thought to start up that old argument could see the fact of the matter. Thank the stars, it would be much quieter without all the bickering.

Dear Princess Luna,

I do hope this letter finds you well, and in good spirits.

The night sky brings a smile to my face as well, especially when seen from somewhere without "light pollution" as I've heard it called. The country and the ocean are excellent places for viewing... though, I suppose a captain's opinion would be biased considering the profession. As far as imposing goes, perish the thought! You wouldn't be imposing at all! I welcome a visit whenever you like. And... since you mentioned when we're docked, it actually does just so happen that we're... well, docked... sort of.

Alright... so... we're actually stuck on a sandbar right now. Navigating the rivers of the Everfree Forest with an ocean going vessel... not one of the brighter ideas of my short career as this vessel's captain, I must begrudgingly admit. I have my crew working on the construction of a makeshift drydock right now. With any luck we can alter the flow of the river around the ship and dig ourselves off the sandbar. Once that's accomplished we should be free to sail away. The construction is slow going, so we'll be here some time longer. If you get the opportunity to visit soon, we're actually very easy to find. We are, coincidentally, stuck at the bend in the river closest to the Lunar Palace. If you're atop it, you can actually see the light of the lanters in our upper rigging at night. I only know that after flying up to satisfy my curiosity. Thank the heavens I'm not a cat.

Your answer has helped quite a lot, thank you. You've put my mind at ease twice over - once because I don't have to worry about spirits, and twice because I don't have to listen to my crewmen bicker like schoolchildren anymore.

I know something like that isn't easy to talk about though. I can't say I've ever been through something that stressful, but... my father, well... he's been around a long time, and has plenty of stories of his past. Some lighthearted, and others... far from. Of course, when it comes to you... I never have been able to understand why you weren't more popular than you were. It really makes no sense to me. Sure, yeah, your sister is responsible for the sun... we can't exactly live without it... but it's not exactly the most creative thing. I'm sure anyone can agree about that. It doesn't exactly change. Just moves from one side to the other - and actually hurts the eyes to look at it. I much prefer the moonlight - softer, gentler, and in my personal opinion a more beautiful thing. It seems to make everything it shines upon positively glow.

I look forward to that as well. Perhaps I may even come visit you if I were to be given such an opportuniy. Though... something makes me doubt the palace guards would be very... accepting... to the idea of letting a pirate captain inside the palace. Well, unless they got to clap me in irons. I'm sure they'd just love that.

Sincerely,

Thunder Crash

P.S. I don't know what, if any, difference it would have made... but personally I wish I'd been alive back in those days, before everything happened... Wish I'd been able to become acquainted with you, and if possible, friends with you. It probably sounds silly to you, but even as a colt listening to stories, when it came to you and your sister, you were always my favorite. I just wish you could have been spared the pain, sadness, and anger from back then.

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#000080]Another letter from Thunder Crash had reached her desk. After reading it's contents, Princess Luna debated replying at all. To not do so would be rude, after she had already sent one correspondence. But to do so would be consorting with... well, a less than noble type, namely a pirate. She hadn't been quite aware just what kind of sailor he was when he had vaguely mentioned his profession in the original note. Well, she'd already sent one letter, so it was too late now. Besides, she couldn't deny that, though he may have been a pirate, his letter was as civil as anyponies, and as a princess she owed him the same courteous as everypony else that had written in.[/colour]

Dear Thunder Crash,

You are right that the sea and open countryside probably offer the best view of the night sky. However, a thousand years ago you could go just about anywhere and see all the stars perfectly. I am grateful that the towers of Canterlot stretch above the city, enough for myself to not be affected by the lights below. It would be pretty difficult for me to do my job if I couldn't even see my work area, don't you think?

But do you require assistance with your vessel? I probably couldn't send any guards, but... well, since I offered to visit anyway, I might be able to offer my services. You don't get to be a few thousand years old without learning quite a bit of magic. It wouldn't take very long to get you out of the situation. But I know that sailors commonly have a fierce sense of pride and independence, so I can understand if my services would be unwelcome and would not be offended if my help was denied.

Thank you kindly for your compliments; they are most welcome. Your sentiment is appreciated as well. I have been receiving many more than I was accustomed to since I came back to Equestria. But I am trying to adjust. Times have certainly changed a lot. Pretty much everything has taken getting used to though, I suppose. New terrain, new ponies, a vastly different culture... Well, that's for me to worry about, anyway.

I might consider extending an invitation for you to visit the caste, but you're probably correct that—how can I put this politely—your kind would not be welcomed by most. I have no current prejudice against you nor your crew, but not everypony can be as understanding as a princess was raised to be.

Sincerely,

Princess Luna

The letter that graced his desk was undoubtedly from the Princess of the Night, and that fact alone made him slightly giddy. He managed to keep a calm demeanor, but the sight of it did make him happy. He hadn't been sure if she'd write back once she realized just what sort of sailor he really was, but was glad for the reply he received. As he read it over, he held in a laugh at the thought of other ponies not exactly accepting what he was. He didn't expect them to, nor did he really care if they did or not. Electric had, and he didn't really need anyone else to. Of course, having friends was never a bad thing. Getting his stationary ready, he sat down to begin his reply.

Dear Princess Luna,

That would truly have been a sight to see, I think. I've often wondered what things were like a thousand years ago, and even before that. I'm hardly a historian, but it's always been a fascinating topic. So far as those lovely towers are conscerned, yes, I can see how that would be quite the problem. Would be like a workbench with no light... odd as the comparison might be. Which... actually makes me wonder something. Were the towers always so tall, or is that new?

Personally, I would greatly appreciate any help that you could provide... though I'm not sure how my crew would react. They'd appreciate it, no doubt, but... well, this was our trial by fire, in a sense. My father is the Admiral of our fleet; three ships in total, including mine. I'm the newest captain and I was supposed to essentially prove myself. I fear that if I got outside help before we had a true opportunity to do this ourselves, my crew would lose all respect for me. Not to mention I'd likely never hear the end of it from my father. A pirate asking for help (or even accepting such if were offered) from royalty is something rarely heard of. It leaves them in a debt, and often means becoming a privateer. Being that it's been... well, far too long to recount since there's been a real conflict, it leaves privateers with little way to repay their debt or make a profit. And a crew that isn't making a profit isn't very... happy... with their captain. You can see the problem there, yes?

Of course, there are numerous ways around that, but really, honestly, what's the point of being a privateer if you can't really fulfill the station properly? It would be akin to being royalty without any control of, or involvement with, the government. It becomes a title, a station, and effectively nothing more. I'll spare you the rant about becoming a merchant in the stead of piratical endeavours. Simply put, in summary, it's mostly about the merchant's rather monotonous lifestyle.

Back to proper topic though... I'm not sure about help, really. I would appreciate it greatly, but it's not a decision a captain should make without imput from his vessel's staff officers. I assure you though, I'll be speaking with them soon and shall have a more finalized answer by the next time I write you.

You are most welcome for the compliments and sentiment, I assure you. So far as all your adjustments go, I'm very sure you'll do just fine. I imagine it will take time, but in due time I foresee you adjusting very well. If ever you need a helping hoof though, you can always call upon me and I will do my best. Never feel as though you can't ask for help, dear Princess. After all, to ask for help shows the strength of mind in recognizing that it is needed.

If you extended an invitation to me, I wouldn't be bothered by the opinions of others. After all, I wouldn't be there to see them. Rather, I would be there to visit with you. As well, if I have an invitation from a Princess... the royal guards can't very well go against that, now can they?

Also... thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure if I would hear from you again considering my... station, in life.

Sincerely,

Captain Thunder Crash.

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#000080]Yet again, she found a quick reply from the pirate Thunder Crash gracing her desk. She supposed he didn't have much else to do, what with his ship being stranded and his crew unable to sail. Were he out to sea, the stallion would likely have to wait until the ship reached port in order to send a response, but at the current he was stuck in the nearby Everfree Forest.[/colour]

Dear Thunder Crash,

Hm, the towers... Well, there wasn't really a need for them. Equestria was much smaller, most ponies living in close proximity to each other and the royal palace. There was also the lack of light pollution, as I mentioned before. Sure, the castle in Everfree had tall towers, but they were more for show than convenience. I suppose the size of the castle was also a way to show the strength of Equestria. It was much larger than any other establishment at the time, and served as a reminder to ponies that there was somepony looking out for them. You should also keep in mind that Canterlot is built on a mountain. Of course it's going to be tall!

But do please let me know if I can offer you aid, some evening. The nights do frequently get rather dull. I understand your being reluctant to accept my help—I must admit, I was a bit reluctant to offer it in the first place, when I learned of your actual profession in your second correspondence. I suppose it's a bit funny, how I at first thought you were just a common sailor! I suppose that was just my lack of cultural know-how coming into play.

It's funny that you say I should not fear asking for help, yet you yourself have declined my offer for assistance, due to a seeming sense of responsibility and pride. I guess a visit is one thing, bailing you out, as it were, would be entirely another. Under your circumstances, though, calling upon you and your crew in the near future might not have the best results. Mayhaps it would be better to arrange a more private meeting between the two of us, when finer times have fallen upon you. You need only let me know when is the best time for me to see you—or you to see me, whichever. The choice is entirely yours.

With how quick your previous letters have been, it seems you do not have much else to do, besides exchange words with this princess. I shall await your next correspondence, and hope I shall not be disappointed in my patience. I do also hope that my letters to you have brought you some sort of enjoyment, or somesuch. I don't always find myself very interesting, but many ponies have begged to differ, since my return. Well, I wish you the best in freeing your vessel.

Sincerely,

Princess Luna

Guiding Light stared nervously at the blank sheet of paper in front of him. He desperately tried to think about something, anything to write to Princess Luna. He remembered meeting her at Sweet Apple Acres when she stoped by to buy some apples just like him. He remembered how nice she was to him in speaking with him and even answering some questions about his light magic. Strangely, everytime he thought about that day and of her, the image of her kissing Applejack seemed to creep into his mind. He had no idea why that was so special to be remembered, but he felt embarassed when he thought of it and dared not tell others.

At last he came up with an idea of what to say and as he levitated his quill he began to write:

Dear Princess Luna,

Hello there. It's Guiding Light from Ponyville. You probably remember me from Sweet Apple Acres, but if you don't that's ok. i know you must meet with many ponies each day. You told me to write to you, so that's what I'm doing. I remembered the advice you gave me about finding somepony to teach me in Canterlot, and I asked my parents if they could take me there. They said yes! So, hopefully I'll find a pony there to teach me as there aren't any in Ponyville who can teach me. Except Twilight Sparkle who you mentioned, but I haven't talked to her yet.

Anyway, how are you doing after traveling to Sweet Apple Acres? I hope you like the apples you bought. mum is making a pie out of some, and I've been eating the rest. I hope things are fine in Canterlot. Oh, and I hope your sister, Princess Celestia, is doing fine too.

So anyway, I just wanted to send you this letter and say hello again. Maybe if you return to Ponyville or I go to Canterlot we'll meet again.

Sincerely,

Guiding Light"

Light almost made the mistake of writing Love before his name. Was it proper to write that to a princess? He'd rather be safe than sorry. With the letter created, folded, and mailed, Light went about his day wondering when he'd get a reply and what it would say.

There were moments where he detested this river and forest, but then there were these moments when he loved the ability to reply so quickly to letters and things. As a colt he'd never really thought of writing letters, but now that he was older he was glad he'd decided to write to the Princess of the Night. It was... fun... and that was something that he wasn't accustomed to - though he certainly wasn't about to complain.

Dear Princess Luna,

Ah yes... it is built on a mountain... I tend to forget sometimes that unless I'm looking at a picture or a map. Granted, I've never really been within sight of it, so it hasn't much been burned into my memory. Imagining it now though... the sheer scale of it... makes me feel pretty small. A mainmast is seemingly gargantuan compared to a pony - a castle spire would probably make me feel like an ant. I can only imagine how long it must have taken to build, even with magic.

Oh, I wouldn't say it was a lack of cultural know-how. Were I royalty, I certainly wouldn't expect the letter of a pirate either! Granted, I don't think anyone would expect that, save perhaps another pirate. We aren't exactly common-place... which is, even in my opinion, is likely a good thing.

Actually, since my last letter was sent, I have convened with my officers. Most of them are in favour of getting help. It was a vote of seven to three. The three only voted against because they're worried about being found out and captured. I can't exactly push away their fears, but they're willing to go with the vote. The crew is being informed as I'm writing this letter, and while I can pick out some muttering... it sounds like a lot of them are actually kind of excited. Knowing my First Mate, he's probably already speaking with the commanding officer of our Marines and getting an honor guard detail assembled. They do ever so much like to show off. Now it seems silly to have been worried about the crew's reaction.

And as a note, had it been personal help, I would have accepted assistance gladly. But because of my crew it makes it more a process of deciding a foreign aid policy. The officers of my ship being somewhat a rough equivalent to the ministers of government you and your sister probably deal with.

Any time is fine for me; it will take a while for the drydock to be finished, and I have nothing to do until then. I'm a pegasus, so I can fly to Canterlot. That might also be the better option, both because it seems more... proper, I suppose... and I haven't gotten to stretch my wings for a while. A long distance flight might do me some good. The real question I suppose is what day and time would suit you best, considering you're the one with the nightly duties. For all intent and purpose, I can leave as soon as I recieve your next letter.

You're right about that... I really don't have much to do besides this, though rest assured, I do find a good deal of enjoyment in writing you. I can easily understand why those ponies find you interesting - you have an air of mystery about you, and ponies are a curious lot. And thank you for the well wishes. Pleasant nights to you, Princess.

Sincerely,

Captain Thunder Crash

Cadence trotted through the hallways of Canterlot Castle, a knit woolen cap sitting at a jaunty angle over her forehead while shades adorned her muzzle. The stares she got from nobles and the like were promptly ignored, while her attendant Solstice Glimmer trotted dutifully along behind the princess, a stony look on her face. After the ordeal in the Crystal Kingdom, the pink alicorn was busier than ever managing both the Canterlot Royal Public Relations and her duties in the north. Needless to say the older ponies on the board just couldn't or wouldn't relocate, and mail between the two areas was more than a little difficult. Thus Cadence had resolved to simply travel between the two, and ever since her last letter had taken a strange liking to the trappings of Hot Trot Alley visitors.

Upon reaching her chambers, the princess found two things waiting for her: what looked like a napkin, and a letter. Levitating her cap and sunglasses onto a bureau, Cadence sat in front of her desk and inspected the tiny tattered square. It WAS a napkin. With writing. And toast crumbs.

"Trying too hard..." she murmured, seeing that the letter was from Wordplay. "Well, I thought I was pretty sizzling. Oh well!"

She opened the letter, her eyes scanning from side to side as she read the rest of the other mare's correspondence. When she read the parting words, the pony's brows furrowed a little. Her penpal was truly determined on that bit, wasn't she? That was alright, part of royal perks was the ability to delegate!

"Solstice," she called to the unicorn in the doorway, nodding toward a sheaf of parchment and a quill. "I'm going to dictate something to you, and I want you to put your own... delicate charm into it," she finished blandly, knowing that her attendant was rather good at saying just the right thing in a non-intrusive way.

"Dear Wordplay," the alicorn began, with Solstice magicking the quill along in the background. "Thank you for your napkin. I bet that toast was delicious. As far as singing in any official setting, I've done so once or twice, although I'm not really sure about my husband. He has been on the REA's Stallions of the Year calendar cover for several seasons though, so I bet he could sing anything and still be fawned over."

"For inspiration, love obviously plays into it but I really enjoy seeing happiness in the smiles of everypony. I guess I'll have to see what I can work out with Shining Armor. In the meantime, have fun with your music!" She turned to Solstice Glimmer. "Did you get all of that?"

"Of course," was the response as the unicorn mare slid a doodle of Shining Armor using Cadence as a hoofball out of sight. "Just adding the finishing touches."

Dear Wordplay,

I've sung once or twice, but never for anything formal or scheduled. Shining Armor isn't musically-inclined, with his split duties as Captain and Emissary to the Crystal Kingdom taking much of his time. Love is always prevalent for me, and I'm sure it will come to you in time. Never stop chasing your dreams!

Sincerely Yours,

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza

Crystal Kingdom Emissary and Councilor of the Canterlot Royal Public Relations Department

Without another word, Solstice Glimmer slid her hasty drawing in with the letter and tied it off without another thought. After all, she figured Wordplay could deserve a little chuckle.

"It's almost time for dinner, Your Highness," the mare intoned. "Shall we head downstairs?"

"I'd love to," Cadence answered, starting to follow her friend out the door before stopping and staring at the napkin one more time. Trying too hard... With a shrug and a self-confident smirk, the princess levitated her woolen cap and shades back into place before strutting out of the room. She wasn't trying hard to be cool, she simply was.

"I'm keeping them," she whispered to no pony, closing her bed chamber doors behind her with a soft snick.

• 2 weeks later...

“Well, I suppose he gets extra points for honesty...” Celestia mused as she read. She had extended the invitation to everypony, regardless of which side of the law they were on. It would be impolite not to respond in kind. Of course, that wasn’t to say she couldn’t be cheeky with her reply...

Notable Thunder Crash,

It must be an exciting career you lead. All that swashbuckling derring do adventure on the high seas; it’s just like something right out of an adventure novel!

I’m afraid your question is quite personal in nature. Asking my origins almost certainly requires me to reveal my age and well, you never ask a mare her age in polite conversation. Suffice to say that it was a very long time ago when the world was a very different place. The safety and peace we enjoy now was bought at a price. Maintenance of said peace is the job of everypony; the guard, the farmer, the schoolteacher, the merchant, even you and me.

May your journeys find you and whoever you meet safe.

Sincerely, Princess Celestia

The next letter? Celestia wrinkled her nose at both the script and the wording, but soon began giggling to herself as she penned a response. While unorthodox, Mojo meant no disrespect. And even if he did, Celestia was known for her good humor.

Dearest Mojo,

Thank you, thank you, oh so much for your compliments! It takes a lot to stay in shape especially with all the deskwork us administrators do in this day and age. The sun-raising is part of my morning workout routine, pardon the puns! I think it’s helped volumes, don’t you?

Hitched? As in marriage? I think you’ll be delighted to know that I’ve been happily married for quite some time! “To whom?” you might ask. To Equestria, of course! There is no greater joy in my life than serving my subjects and ensuring that harmony remains with the citizens of Equestria.

Yes, the interruption was most unwelcome to say the least. Everything turned out all right in the end, however, and that’s really all that counts. We’ll be prepared for future incidents to be sure, though I don’t anticipate the changelings making a return anytime soon.

As for the Gala, try dropping the Canterlot Royal Public Relations office a note. I’m sure they could arrange something :)

Regards,

Princess Celestia

Her final letter of the day was from an unusual pony, one who seemed well-acquainted with both Cadence and Luna. It wasn’t unheard of for those within the bureaucracy and the upper crust to have attended the same functions as the royals and then claim to know them personally, but it was far less common and far more heartwarming to read a genuine letter from citizen.

Dear Ice Storm,

Such is life, is it not? The life of an administrator is a busy one and I regret not being having enough time for all of my subjects. I am glad that Luna is getting along with the ponies of modern Equestria. I was concerned at first that integration would be difficult, but it seems she was a big hit at Nightmare Night and now, with you! I must thank you for being a friend to her and helping her along as she learns the way of the new world. If there is something that we all could use more of, it’s friends.

CRPR was Cadence’s brainchild and I am very happy to see it taking off. Her talents as a diplomat are truly extraordinary and your letter only gives me more examples of what a wonderful pony she has become. I’m also happy to see that in spite of the bureaucratic pomp and circumstance, she still takes time to speak with the everypony; they-- you-- are what’s important after all. Equestria is not Equestria without the ponies of Equestria.

Running the country is no easy task in peacetime and with the crises we have weathered in the past two years, it has been a wild ride to say the least. In spite of the craziness, I do my best to take all things in stride. When you’ve been around as long as I have, you quickly learn that patience and careful consideration get you much further than rushing into things expecting to solve problems quickly. Breaking problems into smaller chunks and solving them methodically one at a time. Has made my time as ruler go much more smoothly.

I find that taking a few minutes each day to meditate has let me practice blocking out distractions as I handle the work that needs to be done. It helps reduce stress levels and keeps me focused when I need it most. Regular breaks and exercise are also helpful, as is the occasional vacation. Luna has been gracious enough to begin learning the ropes of government as of late, giving me a much needed reprieve.

But sometimes there are just those days that can test anypony’s patience. A favorite retreat of mine is indulgence in a glass of Garden Gait Riesling, an epsom salt bath as hot as I can stand it, and a good adventure novel to get my mind off things. Thankfully, those days are few and far between.

I hope this letter finds you well and I wish you and your soon to be husband the best.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia

Swift Squall was sitting behind the mahogany desk at the study in his manor. He bit his lip, unicorn was not expecting writing this letter to be so...hard. But he postponed this too many time already, and it was now or never... swordstallion knew that if he will not write this now, it will keep to eating him from the inside.

Too Princess Celestia

I was meant to write this letter for the long time. Yet, when I search my memory I can't recall why it

took me so long. For I was postponing sending this letter not by days or months

but actual years. Was it a fear? Perhaps, but I believe I found a better

answer.

It was a pride.

Up until now, that pride prevented me from writing. Until some months ago, I used to believe that I can take on a problems presented before me all alone.

And oh, how wrong I was.

It wasn't the most painful lesson I received - but it made me think about myself more then any other before it. It made me revalue my opinions...and I glad I did it. I guess that now, that I found some friends I am little happier. Neither mission I gave to myself nor problems are gone, yet now their somehow easier to get trough. While I still have my pride (and there are some things to be proud for!) it no longer hinders me.

Heh...I written so much already, and yet I didn't introduced myself. For now, until the end of the

letter think about me as Persistent Quill. I am sure it rings a bell - Yes, I am the very same one who wrote articles about situation in Unyasi some years ago.

What I DIDN'T wrote in them though, was the fact that I was one who was at last, partially responsible for the situation in the first place.

The only thing that I can say in my own defence - I had no clue that operations that happened there were illegal, both in the law and morality and that both I and another mercenaries happened to be just another pawns in the hoofs of others, as I found out later. I must admit - I was disgusted with myself back then, when after finding out the truth about this 'trading operations'. And when I return to memory of this days I still am. That was my reason for turning against my former comrades, for them it was just another source of money. I believe you know what happened after this - about articles, militia and finally and end of smuggling activities in that region.

As I mentioned before, I was too proud to write this years ago, so I will write it now.

Thank you.

I don't know if it was you Princess who put your hoof ponysonaly in stopping them, or somepony else, from your administration. Regardless I grateful that this operations was putted to

stop. Now I know that no amounts of articles or militia members would've help, if not for some kind heart that was ready to listen our plea.

Yet, while this chapter of my life is closed and behind me, I am still haunted by memories of that time. It was guilt that made me quite my mercenary life, and while problems in Unyasi are gone the guilt itself remains.

Sometimes I wonder that if I would realize sooner or put more effort, that many things could be avoided. I just can't shake the feeling that what I did back then wasn't enough...this feeling still torments me at nights, plaguing the my sleep with nightmares.

As a pony who had lived for so long I simply must ask - How do you deal with guilt Your Highness?

One does not simply lives for so long without any regrets. Is there some recipe for remaining cheerful and optimistic, despite that? And if there is, could you share it with me?

Grateful

Swift Squall from the House Squallcoast - Fillydelphia

PS:

Now that I managed to write for first time, I think it will be just first of the many letters. If that is possible, send my regards too General Spearstep. While I never joined Honor Guard, as he had hoped, too this day I make good use of the skills he tough me.

Unicorn putted the quill aside at the piece of paper - now filled with his thoughts. He folded it before putting into envelope. And now to send it...

[colour=#000080]As Luna opened yet another letter from Thunder Crash, she mused that it had been several days since she had received a letter from anypony else. Not that she didn't enjoy the pirate's letters, but it would be nice to have a change of pace, and meet some new ponies through the written word. Still, she had a new letter, and it was only polite to answer.[/colour]

Dear Thunder Crash,

Yes, I suppose that would be difficult, seeing as Canterlot is not near any large bodies of water. Not to mention, ships can't really travel up mountains, can they? Although I suppose even the largest ocean vessel is nothing compared to the size of Canterlot Castle. As I mentioned previously, I have not done any sailing for quite some time, so I can't really gauge the size of a boat to that of the towers.

It delights me to hear that you will soon be freed from your plight. Do let me know if all goes well. I suppose that if I don't receive another letter, I'll know that things did not go as planned. But surely your deeds are not really so bad that you would be arrested, right? I figure that, though your line of work is not the most well-to-do, you wouldn't send a letter to a princess and then give her your location if you were a wanted criminal. Right?

And as for your crew, I should hope they don't think less of us just because we carry the title of 'Princess'. The word seems to be quite misconstrued among the public, and the meaning more along the lines of somepony who is 'spoiled', 'pampered', and perhaps even 'lazy', rather than just a title of authority. Indeed, they should not be so uncouth as to assume that Celestia or myself could not hold our own against a band of ruffians.

Perhaps you have not heard the tale of my first Nightmare Night. I descended upon Ponyville in a blaze of glory fit for a royal, and upon my appearance, everypony cowered in fear! Of course... that was not the intended reaction. But see, we can cause ponies to quiver in fear at our sight, send shivers down spines by the mention of our names. A band of pirates would be laughable opponents compared to the olden days of Equestria.

I suppose my constant air of mystery added to that though. I am not the most predictable pony. Unlike Celestia, I'm not out and about all day, attending meetings and seeing ponies. Combined with the fact I haven't been around in the past several years, and that history has skewed my deeds and accomplishments as well as my trials and failures, it's not hard to see why ponies don't know what to think of me. All I can do is strive to change that.

Perhaps I shall see you soon. Feel free to stop by any time.

Sincerely,

Princess Luna

Rose had to read the flyer three times before she believed what she was seeing. Her first thought when she saw the flyer was that it was some sort of prank or publicity stunt. Well, obviously it was for publicity, but for some reason she refused to believe it was being honest with her. All three of the princesses were too busy carrying the country on their backs to answer the no doubt hundreds of letters that this flyer would draw their way. Nopony could cram that much into their schedule.

But slowly, as she walked home, she started transitioning her thoughts from disbelief to curiosity. This could be a golden opportunity to ask questions and get to know the princesses more personally. If she ever wanted to write fictional royalty, it would help to learn more about the real deal, wouldn't it? But who to ask, and what questions?

It got so bad that she couldn't concentrate on the course of her normal writing. Half a page had gone by before she realized that she had accidentally replaced her protagonist with Princess Cadence. She crumpled up the compromised page and tossed it over her shoulder. "Ugh, what to write?" she wondered. The answer came to her after a brief catnap.

To Her Majesty Princess Luna,

I've always had some measure of respect for you, though it was largely from the more symbolic nature of your duties. I've always loved the night and all the spooky associations it has with ponies. Maybe I'm just weird that way, but I love nightmares and scary things a whole lot, and now I tend to associate them with you thanks to Nightmare Night. That's probably unfair to who you really are, though, making you out to be an object of horror and all. Sorry about that.

I guess that's why I picked you to write to, in addition to the fact that you've been gone so long. I got metaphorical whiplash when I got back into Canterlot's music scene after a few years of neglect and saw how much had changed in my absence. I can't even being to imagine how much adjustment you've had to do after a thousand years of being gone! It's really captured my imagination as a writer, but I promise I won't deal with that sort of scenario as it applies to you personally in my writings. So basically my first question to you is mostly just asking what future shock's been like for you, if you don't mind me getting nosy and all.

This next part will probably be less personal, thankfully. See, I'm a writer, and as a writer I love doing research on what was considered the vogue of storytelling in past eras, but that research usually doesn't go past a few generations, partly because of my own particular tastes and partly because records get incomplete the farther back I go. So would you mind me asking what the writing and storytelling culture back in the day was like? What was popular? What captured the ponies' imaginations back then? And probably the most important question: is there a kind of story you're not seeing anymore that you'd really like to make a comeback?

I'm not even sure if you'll answer this letter personally, but I'm used to writing things that end up as useless dead ends, so I don't regret writing this letter either way.

Sincerely,

Rose Madder

A couple of months after sending his letter to Princess Celestia, Earth Writer was settling into his newfound career as a journalist. Having a direct quote from one of the co-rulers of Equestria in one of his early articles had given him quite the leg up, for which he was rather grateful, and he gave her a shout-out in the 20th column he sold to one of the Canterlot Dailys.

After some weeks among the reporter crowd, he began to see a lot of the journalists who worked the celebrity circuit, and while it wasn't his own beat, he was fascinated by their tales of how that little corner of the world worked. It was here that the saying arose, "Bad Publicity is Better than No Publicity." Earth never gave it much serious thought, until after Nightmare Night, when he suddenly connected the idea to Princess Luna.

Of course, he didn't write her right away. Not only was the subject probably not an easy one for her to think about or discuss, but the way in which he proposed to frame it might prove particularly painful. On the other hand, it was beginning to keep him up at night. In the end, he decided that he ought to at least write the letter, even if he didn't send it yet.

Dear Princess Luna,

How are you? I'm not sure how many letters you've gotten, probably a lot, considering the stir of curiosity that followed your return. I was studying in Canterlot at the time, and the stir among the students, especially what I might call the "night crowd" was considerable. I'm currently working as a journalist now, and from what I've seen, it hasn't abated. You've become a kind of mascot for those who keep odd hours, odd habits, or in some way find themselves out of sync with the "normal" world.

For myself, I keep odd hours. I work freelance currently; no publication's hired me yet on a permanent basis. Still, I've started to find a place in what's called the "Fleet Street" crowd. We're called that because most newspapers and magazines have their offices on that road. It's one of the oldest in Canterlot, though I don't know how old exactly.

Life through a reporter's lens gives one an... odd view of the world. You see much more of the sort of ponies that most never meet in their lives, and would probably not want to meet them personally, however much they enjoy reading about them. You know the type I mean? The upper crust, consisting of the more prominent nobles, and publicized celebrities. I can personally attest to the fact that they will, in fact, do most anything to get the public's attention, under the theory that it's preferable to be notorious than unnoticed.

I'm wondering how true that actually is. What do you think about it? I know you've had quite the reputation to live down since you've come back, but what if there hadn't been any Nightmare Night, or Legend of Nightmare Moon? Would it have made returning any easier if ponies hadn't thought you worth remembering at all, and you suddenly had to introduce yourself as a long-forgotten sibling?

Maybe it's because of the company I keep, but I'm honestly not sure. I think, though, if anypony is qualified to give a judgment on the question, it's you.

Sincerely,

Earth Writer

He kept the letter with him for a few weeks afterward, only sending it out a few weeks after Nightmare Night, just so any unpleasant associations would be distant enough in Luna's mind.

[colour=#000080]It seemed that Luna couldn't get a break from the constant mail call. Not that each and every letter wasn't appreciated and treasured. It certainly gave Princess Luna something to do, on the long nights—though she couldn't say they were lonely any longer. Even though met very few of the ponies that had written to her, it was still comforting to know that they would take time out of their schedules to send something to somepony like her.

The next letter she received was from a pony in Canterlot, again. Princess Luna figured that the word would have spread to other parts of Equestria by now, but perhaps ponies thought the fliers were exclusive to the Canterlot elite. Judging by the writing on the envelope, this one had come from a Unicorn. And my my, wasn't she extravagant, addressing it to, “To Her Majesty Princess Luna”. Well, it didn't matter to the lunar princess who was writing or how they wrote. The fact that somepony actually cared to think of her was enough.[/colour]

Dear Rose Madder,

Let me assure you that this is the genuine Princess Luna writing to you. As the flyers are still up about town, and slowly making their way elsewhere in Equestria, I can honestly say that the mailbox of the princesses is still open for submissions. I am glad that you decided to take time out of your schedule to write to me, even if you were not positive you would receive a reply.

I am grateful for you compliment. Well, what sounded like a compliment, anyway. I am aware that my misdeeds are indeed the stuff of nightmares—eternal darkness, no sunlight, crops dying out, an evil ruler... Though I suspect that's all that I deserve, really. Celestia gets holidays associated with the sun and all its gifts, and I'm condemned to forever have celebrations honoring the ghastly and creepy. Even the tales involving daylight contain cute bunnies and mystical beings, while the tales of night involve monsters and myths.

But I suppose it's not all bad for me, really. After all, there are those such as yourself that enjoy the dark stories and festivities. Though the accusations of myself still being Nightmare Moon are finally starting to dissipate, I can't help but be a regular attendee at the Nightmare Night merrymaking. Though it is a holiday to honor my other persona, it has never caused me offense despite its negative connotations toward myself.

But as for what Equestria is like to me now, well... I suppose the best way to describe it would be to say that it's like being reborn. Canterlot Castle, for example, didn't even exist until shortly after my banishment. My old home, which now lies in the Everfree Forest, has since been all but destroyed. There are quite a few more cities in existence, forests have been leveled, rivers dammed over—and yet other places, such as the Everfree Forest, have been left to become overgrown. Equestria as I knew it exists no longer... But at least I have the chance to start anew.

Oh goodness, you want to know about the tales of old? Well, back then, much documentation was spread merely by word of mouth. Stories were written in songs or poetry, and passed down from generation to generation. Our relation with some of the other countries, specifically the Griffons, was not always so peaceful... But I won't go into that. Tales of bravery were what intrigued ponies, slaying Dragons, dueling with Griffons, traveling to Tartarus and back. Although, one did have to be careful what one believed back then. Ponies would go to great lengths to gain the favoritism of others, especially those of the court. There were quite a few who came under false pretenses, talking of their great feats, yet having no proof.

But, with all the peace in Equestria nowadays, and with numerous books to chronicle history, not to mention the newspapers, word tends to travel much faster and be much more accessible. But even though I did so enjoy the songs of old, I certainly wouldn't trade them for the current peace of Equestria. It's sort of wonderful, I suppose, to be able to relax after... being away for so long.

I hope that you enjoyed my letter as much as I enjoyed yours. Thank you greatly for your letter, Rose Madder.

Sincerely,

Princess Luna

[colour=#000080]There was another letter, too, this one seemingly a patron of the “night life” she had been hearing more and more about. It was difficult to tell just which ponies preferred to keep evening hours, as the mail was only delivered during the daytime. As such, Princess Luna could frequently awake to a letter or two brought in with her breakfast, which was actually around the time most ponies were having dinner. But whether they were sent in the afternoon or the night before, she couldn't say. [/colour]

Dear Earth Writer,

I am quite pleasant, thank you very much for asking. I must admit, I have received many more letters than I expected too. Secretly, I think I may have gotten more than my sister Celestia, which was quite a surprise for me. Still, it's a pleasant surprise—and each letter I receive brings a smile to my face, knowing that somepony bothered to even think of me.

I am still getting accustomed to this “night crowd” that you speak of. I frequently run into a more ponies than expected whenever I decide to talk an evening stroll to Canterlot. That is to say, if I run into anypony at all, I find I am still surprised each and every time. Yet nine times out of ten, there will be somepony out and about, and before I know it a crowd has emerged seemingly from the shadows.

Thank you for the compliments on the matter. I suppose I'm beginning to realize just how much of a 'celebrity' I really am, now that ponies are aware of my even existing. I think it will still take some getting used to though, just as most things in Equestria are new to me. But I will adjust, with time, just as ponies are trying to adjust to having two rulers instead of one. If I was shocked to finally be back in Equestria, I can imagine what it must have been like for everypony else as well.

On that note, you wonder how ponies would have adjusted to my return without any prior knowledge of me? Well, I believe that things would be nearly the same as they are now. After all, the Legend of Nightmare Moon was just that—a legend. A myth, considered to be created by some storyteller long ago, to convince foals to eat their hay and go to bed on time, or else Nightmare Moon would come and gobble them up for being bad.

After a few hundred years, myth and reality mixed, and I highly doubt that five hundred years ago, the existence of Princess Luna or Nightmare Moon was even being taught in schools as fact. I suppose Celestia had something to do with clearing my name early on though, so as I could make my return and have a chance at redemption. I suppose the story of Nightmare Moon was still passed down for a few generations, but after awhile everypony assumed their great-great-great-great-great grandfather had just made the story up in the first place.

As for Nightmare Night, the exact year of its creation is clouded, but by that time, Nightmare Moon was nothing but a myth, and my personal name of Luna all but wiped from history. Of course, undoubtedly there are quite a few tomes locked away in the private wings of the castle library, which probably have much more accurate and personal accounts, from those who were present.

But despite my fall from good, I can see quite evidently that Celestia has worked to preserve my name. Allowing my existence to be nearly erased from history has now granted me the ability to integrate back into society. Letting events such as Nightmare Night continue year after year has given ponies something to celebrate, that I can also relate to, in a roundabout way.

I thank you for writing to me, and I hope that my reply has not been too long winded. I wish you good luck in securing permanent work.

Sincerely,

Princess Luna

• 3 weeks later...

207klk0.jpg

News of the Royal Princesses soliciting questions from their subjects reached far and wide, even little Babs Seed heard of it from assorted family relatives she encountered during the last Apple family reunion. Like most ponies, Babs idolized the princesses who kept the land of Equestria a prosperous realm for generations and generations. Naturally she didn’t believe it at first when she learned that her cousin Apple Bloom had actually written frequent letters to Princess Celestia; something to do with “friendship reports”, whatever they happened to be.

Still, Miss Seed envied her cousin for being able to write to the princess whenever she wanted to. Now that all the princesses were openly accepting letters, Babs decided to write a letter herself! Sequestering herself in her room for a couple hours during her spare time, the filly questioned what exactly she should right about. Should Babs ask about how to get her cutie mark? Nah; she didn’t need to have Celestia think that she wasn’t a big girl yet. Maybe she could ask about Celestia’s foalhood? Nope; Babs wasn’t feeling that one either.

After a couple aborted attempts, Babs Seed lost all focus as she let her mind wander. Amongst the random babble her thoughts conjured up, one memory above all else started to gnaw at the filly; the memory of how she mistreated Apple Bloom the first time they met. Babs still felt awful about what went down back then, and even though the two Apple fillies were now on a “best-cuz” basis with each other, Miss Seed reasoned that she needed to do more to apologize to her cousin-

[colour=#daa520]~Hey; maybe I can write about ‘dis to da' Princess!~[/colour]

Now filled with inspiration, Babs hurriedly reached for her pencil with her muzzle in order to write the following letter down:

Dear Princess Celestia,

I’m a filly from Manehatten, and lately I’ve had a bit of a problem with my cuz from Ponyville. You see, when I met her for the first time, I bullied her and her friends so that I wouldn’t get teased myself. While everything’s been patched up now, I still want to find a way to make things up with her. I was wondering, but have you ever felt bad about how you’ve treated somepony before, and what would you do to patch things up?

Another thing too; my cuz also mentioned how sometimes she sends these things called friendship reports to you. What are these reports, and are there other ponies besides my cuz who writes them?

Thank you for letting everypony write to you, Princess Celestia. I hope you and Princess Luna can visit Manehatten sometime; I’d really love to meet the two of you!!!

Yours truly,

Babs Seed :AJ:

After ruthlessly checking her letter for any errors... and staining her paper with multiple eraser marks, Babs finally had a letter she was proud of. Putting her letter into an envelope and stamping it, she finally set outside in the direction of the nearest post box.....

[colour=#e32636]By the time Rose received a reply from Luna, she had completely forgotten she'd sent the princess a letter in the first place. That didn't last long; the memories flooded back into her mind the instant she saw the postmark. She felt as if her heart was in her mouth when she opened that letter and read it word by word.

The first thing that occurred to her was an embarrassment at comparing her lapse in paying attention to underground music to Luna being separated from the whole world for centuries. Being reborn, as her majesty put it, was really the only way to handle her situation, now that Rose thought about it. After all, Rose's entire career and way of life - publishing houses, book deals, perhaps even the idea of universal literacy itself - were inconceivable in the days when Nightmare Moon was first banished.

Luna's letter, and her failure to answer Rose's questions about comebacks, left the unicorn at a bit of a standstill. She'd gotten it in her head to get some kind of inspiration or material from Princess Luna ever since she sent that letter, but the princess wasn't making it easy for her. So she couldn't revive one of her majesty's favorite forms of stories for a new age, given the relative incompatibility of oral storytelling to novels... or could she?

Soon Rose was pacing from one side of her living room to another, ideas filling her head again. There was always something to be said for stories within stories, an examination of the pros and cons of oral storytelling in relation to novels. Maybe somepony could tell variations on the same story that got mutated with each telling. She'd have to dig up the few ancient epics that survived this era, but it could be done, it could be done very easily if Rose kept working at it.

As she walked, she could feel the ideas slipping out of her mind, and immediately started to take notes. She had riddled both sides of a page with ink when another idea struck her regarding the princess. She could tell the story of how it felt to be radically shunted in time, though the idea of embellishing the princess's real life didn't sit well with her. No problem! That called for an alternate world entirely. And what if there was more than one such displaced individual? What if they went into the past as well as the future?

She kept writing down her ideas for hours, until she started yawning and feeling lightheaded. Before she knew it, it was already bedtime. More concrete writing would come tomorrow.

And besides, Rose thought as she tucked herself into bed, perhaps she could see Luna in her dreams again? Hopefully this time they'd be less... revealing.[/colour]

Wisp didn't usually write letters, well not to royalty at least. She just really didn't know what she would say in such. Sure she'd submitted reports of her paranormal research to committees in Canterlot hoping for some sort of recognition or perhaps a chance to share her findings with some of the intellectual elite but that was far different than a personal letter. So she really had a hard time when it came to putting the words on the page, having stared at it for some time with just a blank expression.

Eventually thought she managed to sort her thoughts and by candle light she wrote, hoping perhaps to get some advice.

Dear Princess Cadence ,

You seem like the kind of pony that may be able to help with some... relationship advice. You see, there is a stallion I have met a few times and I really enjoy his company. We even seemed to be hitting it off pretty well. However I had to take a trip. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for a pony in my field of studies but well it went way longer than I thought it would. I wrote him to let him know I was going, as we don't live in the same town, but I never imagined it would be months on end without the ability to reach out to him. I'm sure he probably thinks I just vanished. I've just returned from my long venture and I want to go visit him, but I'm worried.

After all this particular stallion is rather well, I guess handsome is a good word. And clearly any mare would be lucky to have his attention. What if in the time I was away he has found someone he fancies? What if I show up and it ends up just making an awkward mess? I'm never really had any romantic experience and I'm really not sure of myself. He's a down to earth, hard working, wild west kind... and I'm a nerdy, bookish, researcher... but we did have a great adventure together. Maybe I'm crazy for thinking he'd even be interested in some pony like me anyway.

Oh, I'm rambling, sorry. Anyway, what do you suggest for a mare like me? Should I go? And if he's not involved with anypony, perhaps tell him the way I feel? Would it be hard to have a relationship with him since we live a bit a distance apart?

Your's Truly and Confused,

Willow Wisp

Another day, another batch of letters. The sheer variety of mail was astounding. Personal stories, silly anecdotes, friendship reports, and like this one, the occasional tale of perdition and reconciliation.

Esteemed Swift Squall,

It has been a long time, to be certain, but I do remember news reports that cross my desk. Even in so great a land as our own, there are those who wish to make profit at the expense of others, though rarely out of malice alone. The ends do not always justify the means and as one who is entrusted to rule, I know just how delicate that balancing act can be. I personally did not put a stop to the scandal; instead you must direct your thanks to the investigators of the Royal Equestrian Intelligence Network and the REA watch commanders who made the arrests. I trust my authorities and regents to do their jobs effectively when I appoint them. It seems that my trust has not been misplaced.

As for guilt, it is as difficult for me as it is for anypony else. Surely you have read the stories about Nightmare Moon and the Elements of Harmony? It was certainly not easy to fight my closest friend -- my own flesh and blood -- but I could not put my own personal desires above the safety and well-being of my people. I love my sister dearly, but in the end, my duty was to Equestria. But now the nightmare is over and once again Luna brings the beauty of the night sky to my land and your land -- our land.

Guilt is a difficult thing to deal with. Unresolved, it can gnaw at the very soul. Reconciliation goes a long way towards redemption. Your exposure of the Unyasi scandal and your willingness to go to the proper authorities to resolve it already show that you have the desire to reconcile and do what is right. What is in the past cannot be changed. Nopony should ever fault another with that which he or she cannot alter. Instead you must look forward: do what you can in the present to build the future you wish for yourself and Equestria. I cannot guarantee it will be easy -- the right thing never is. But the freedom from the chains of the past and the joy of building something great is worth every labor along the way.

Regards,

Princess Celestia

PS: I will pass your regards to Spearstep and the Joint Chiefs. I’m sure they will be honored by the success of their alum.

Two letters asking about redemption at once? Well, this was certainly a fine coincidence.

Dear Babs Seed,

I’m glad that things worked out for you and Apple Bloom. It’s always good to reconcile with other ponies to get rid of any bad blood. By apologizing and showing that you’re willing to be their friends, you’ve already made up with them. From here on, it’s what you do to make a future for yourselves. Let the past be the past. I speak from my experience getting to know Luna all over again after Nightmare Moon, but that is perhaps a story for another time.

Friendship reports were originally regular reports sent to me by my star student, Twilight Sparkle. But after some thought, we decided that it would help her research greatly by allowing all her friends to file friendship reports. I would talk or write to Twilight about helping with her project. She can fill you in on all the details!

It is my pleasure to allow the citizens of Equestria to write back to me. Luna and I will probably be making a visit to Manehattan in the future. When I do, I’ll be sure to let you know ;)

Regards,

Princess Celestia

207klk0.jpg

Excited to hear that she got a letter marked with the royal seal, Babs Seed immediately grabbed it with her mouth and took it into her room. Once inside, the filly hurriedly opened it and poured over Princess Celestia’s response. Babs raised an eyebrow when the princess wrote down Apple Bloom’s name; the filly didn’t remember writing her cousin’s name down... did she? Maybe her cuz had already written one of these so-called friendship reports about their first meeting? Or perhaps the princess simply knew everything about everyone? How the mind of a foal worked...

Babs Seed realized she was getting ahead of herself, and so she continued going through the letter. A smile formed on the earth pony’s face as she read Celestia’s thought that Babs had already done enough to make it up to Apple Bloom. And even though she didn’t go into too much detail, it seemed that Celestia and Luna had not been on best of terms in the past. As she was just a child living in Manehatten, Miss Seed didn’t know much about the whole history between the Royal Sisters. Maybe now would be a good time for go to the library and find out more, thought Babs.

Princess Celestia didn’t go too in-depth concerning the friendship reports. Her Highness had suggested writing instead to her student, Twilight Sparkle. Finally, the princess mentioned the possibility of visiting Manehatten in the future. Reading the good news, Babs resolved to keep a look-out to see when the princesses would come to town. And yes, maybe she’d write to Twilight about participating in her project too.....

A white, soft dust appeared under his hooves as Ardent Will entered his home in Cloudsdale. He had been on his journey for so many weeks... No wonder the cloudy interior became a bit... messy. A heavy sigh slipped out of his mouth, followed with a shrug just before he headed towards his 'supply' room. His saddlebags were heavy from all the samples he had collected in his travels. With a quick flap of wings he removed them, throwing the plants at his workbench. There were so many unknown species. So many possibilities of creating various antidotes and medicine. There was just a single item he needed now...

Putting the rest of his gear aside, grown Stallion approached a locked cabinet. He flied up and reached for the key hidden somewhere between the clouds in the ceiling. After turning it inside the lock, he pulled the doors, uncovering a rich pile of books, various notes and papers. Without hesitation he pushed them aside and started reading through book titles placed a bit deeper. [colour=#a9a9a9]"...Mmmh... Badlands, Canterlot, Clopton Shores... Where could it be...?"[/colour] - Ardent moved a few books - [colour=#a9a9a9]"...Great Nimbus Lakes... Suntrot Bay, ah, should be close now! Stalliongrad, Stalliongrad... where are you..."[/colour] - it took him a few minutes of searching, but to his disappointment and surprise Will didn't manage to find a book he was searching for. He leaned back and stared onto shelves with stoic stare. [colour=#a9a9a9]"How am I supposed to work without essential facts and information...?"[/colour] - Will could easily answer this rhetorical question. He couldn't work this way.

He started searching through his papers once more. [colour=#a9a9a9]"How am I supposed to fulfill my vows to Princesses if I can't wo-"[/colour] - his movements froze suddenly when he spotted a piece of paper and ink. An idea and one information he heard lately flashed through his mind. He quickly stepped back. [colour=#a9a9a9]"No, I couldn't. That would be heresy... I'd be tainted..."[/colour] - Princesses we're deities for him, he couldn't simply... write a letter. Or... could he? Another wave of thoughts filled his mind: [colour=#a9a9a9]"Honestly speaking... if what we believe in and hear is truth, it would do me no harm. And perhaps..."[/colour] After long struggle he finally decided to give it a shot.

[colour=#808080]
Your Majesty Princess Celestia, Shining Shield of Equestria and Protector of the Ponykind,
[/colour]

[colour=#808080]Your highness, I truly believe you remember our eternally loyal and ancient Destrier chapter. Even though our role has changed over the decades, our main purpose of serving your will remains unchanged. It is an honor to watch over ponykind in your name, a privilege we'd never dare to resign from. But, perhaps, I should skip needless facts and continue with the reason which pushed me into writing this letter, allowing myself to shamelessly steal your precious time.

My duties in our chapter differ from typical ones. I have been choosen an apothecary. Healer. Herbalist. During many years of my service I've learned a lot about plants and utilized this knowledge to heal and strengthen ponies. But today I've encountered an issue which occured to me in past already, multiple times, but this time I can't overcome it on my own.

After each trip I bring back foreign, unknown to me species of plants. I always used local libraries and my own knowledge to discover their features, but once again I find myself in shortage of materials required to do so. I beg you to forgive me my impertinence... but I have a humble favour to ask. The Canterlot library is well known for its vast amount of books speaking of every single possible topic. Unfortunately, I fear my recent meetings with royal guards resulted in slight... cracks, to put it lightly. I always served Your Majesty, but for once I require Your help...

Could you please raise the Royal Forces awareness concerning my humble person? After all, even though there are differences between us, we all serve the same purpose. Your highness, isn't peace what all true ponies strive for?

May sun, moon and magic watch over You, your sister and your niece.[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

Cadence trotted happily along the halls of the Crystal Keep, a rather large lollipop shoved into her cheek while she hummed. After all, she was saving the cook from a possible cavity! He'd had far too many sweets as of late, and the princess would never wish a visit from Doctor Colgate on anypony. One never knew when that crazy dentist was watching...

The alicorn slowed, a haunted look crossing her features as echoes of drills and maniacal laughter played through her memories. She couldn't get here, right? There's no way she could even know where the Crystal Kingdom was out in the middle of all this snow! But she had been one of Cadence's bridesmares, she could find out.

"Crystal Heart protect me," she whispered, carefully removing the lollipop from her mouth as she approached her chambers.

As per usual she spared a glance to the small table outside the large, ornate doors that led to her bedroom, and almost continued on until she spied a tiny white corner of something peeking from the space between the furniture and the wall. Curious, the rose mare tugged at it with her magic until a slightly-dusty letter was pulled free and hovered in the air before her. Cadence sighed. It looked like a careless guard had tossed the letter onto the table where it had nearly slipped to the floor.

Mail was obviously a little harder to receive out here in the Crystal Kingdom, considering distance and the necessity that it be delivered by train due to hazardous flight conditions, but this looked like it had been there a while. How was she supposed to respond in a timely manner if she didn't know she had mail? Without further ado the princess took the letter into her greeting room and sat before her desk, moving a fresh scroll and quill before her.

Dear Willow Wisp,

My sincere apologies for the tardiness of this response. After reading your letter, I do have some words of advice for you! While everypony worries that spending time apart will slowly wash away everything they once had, true connections of the heart don't fade as easily. You say you and this stallion had a grand adventure together, and obviously you shared some feelings. If he truly cares for you and you informed him that you were leaving for the chance of a lifetime, he should understand even if you took a little longer than anticipated.

Have you ever had a close friend move far away? Most ponies assume that when they meet again the friends will have lost all that they had in common. Yet more often than not, they still share that which formed their bond in the first place. With relationships, that affection can be a little more fickle but the same principle applies. If anything you and your special somepony experienced more together than most! After all, opposites attract. Ponies who do all of the same things get bored a little more easily, whereas you bring the spice of variety into his life!

If nothing else, I would recommend going just to get closure on the situation. Whether he's involved or not, you'll know rather than wondering each day. If you tell him how you really feel, I personally am assured that he shouldn't have lost any of his candle for you! I hope this helps, but in the end only you and your special somepony can decide what's right for you. Best of luck to you both!

Segui il tuo cuore,

Princess Cadence

Far away in the town of Ponyville, a certain unicorn mare looked up from her current patient's twitching mouth and narrowed her eyes, an ear tilting as though she heard a far-off voice calling to her.

"Royal cavity," Colgate whispered, starting her drill once more.

• 2 months later...

Public relations was something that all monarchs dealt with. Balancing the needs of the many against the needs of the few was an eternal problem and though Equestria was at peace, ponies still disagreed. Just as well, though, as homogeneity would be far too boring for life in Equestria. Celestia picked up her quill as she finished reading the letter of differences and disagreements, penning her response in swirling script.

Noble Ardent Will,

Many have come and gone in service of Equestria. Each was different in mind, body, and soul. Were we all the same, life in Equestria would fail to exist as we know it. But with each difference comes potential conflict of interest. If what one pony believes is in opposition to what another firmly believes in his or her heart, who is to say which is right?

I am certain that the Guard firmly believes in the duties they perform. Fault them not for their zeal, as that zeal is what carried the Destriers in the heady days of Discord and Nightmare Moon. But the Canterlot Public Library is open to all citizens of Equestria by law. I trust that no Destrier shall be a danger to my citizens in a public space such as that. Gently remind them of this. If it continues to be a problem you are welcome to file a report with the garrison commander or CRPR.

Your service and devotion to the Equestrian ideals are to be commended. May the sun bless your steps.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia