Friendship is Magic Movie

Whitehawke

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Seems there might be a movie on the horizon, though if it's supposed to be complete by the end of this year then we're still far from the release. DVD means it's not a theater release though. (Which is fine by me, I like to watch movies at my pace and the price gouging is getting out of hand.)

mother-god-meme_zps4e4fc6b4.png

Where do I sign up. I hope it turns out being theater release as well. Would love to see this in the theaters, it would definitely bring a lot of the brony's and pegasisters out which would make for a lot of great times and new friends. I could even see them doing a small give-away like they do with some of the Yu-Gi-Oh! movies where they gave away a card for the event.

Even if its just the DVD release, I'd buy like 5 of them. :3

This could be good or bad. Good because it's an FiM movie. Bad because, generally speaking, a movie signals either the immediate death or the beginning of the long and agonizing death of a series, I'm afraid to say.

Eh, a movie can't be that bad of an ill-omen for the future of the series. South Park got its movie way back in the third season, and it's been chugging along just fine ever since then.

It is a movie. 1X66 means it is one continuous run of animation. All previous two-parters appeared as 2X22, DVD compilations do not appear on their animation scroll. This is one 66-minute long episode, which since it is called a DVD would imply that it is a straight-to-DVD movie. There may be special features or even additional bonus episodes, but there is going to be a 66-minute long straight to DVD movie. You can take that to the bank.

Only question is, what will it be about? John de Lancie said he had done another role as Discord for the show, yet I doubt that it will have anything to do with Season 3. It would make sense if it was a movie with him as having that extra star billing would equate to a bump in sales for the DVD.

• Like 1

Eh, a movie can't be that bad of an ill-omen for the future of the series. South Park got its movie way back in the third season, and it's been chugging along just fine ever since then.

Yeah, but that's South Park. They can continue to have topics because most of their episodes relate strongly to current events, thus meaning that in theory they can never run out of content. My Little Pony, however, can only do so much, and many animated series did everything in their movie, thus causing their show to die off, or deteriorate into a boring state of repetition (SpongeBob SquarePants for example, or even the new Fairly Odd Parents). There are exceptions; for example, Futurama was originally supposed to end with the creation of the three movies, but it was later picked back up by Comedy Central and made even better than before.

Oh, you don't have to be so pessimistic, if that is the case there's the distinct chance that everyone working on it noticed it too and are going to do what they can to prevent that happening

Besides, The Powerpuff Girls went on for a couple of years after their movie and the main reason for why it ended was because they always planned for it to have no more than 6 seasons (true I was somewhat disappointed with the movie when I saw it and didn't watch it for ages afterward, but that was mainly because I had expected it to be a more current story and that their origin would be in a regular episode and back then I still had trouble dealing with things that didn't meet my expectations)

There's one family anime series that I enjoy that lasted for 7 seasons (over 350 episodes) despite 5 of those seasons being followed by a movie (granted they had a more theatric feel for the movies and they were generally handled the same way as the season finales, true some of the fans here were annoyed with the series during the second to last season, but the ones in Japan didn't mind it, and a good part of it was resentment that a number of the manga chapters had not been adapted and some of the fan favourite minor characters had gone for a long time without appearing)

Hamtaro ran for 4 seasons (over 200 episodes) and each season was accompanied by a movie, like the other family anime I mentioned it had a "Slice of life adventures" feel for most episodes with something big for the season finales and the movies

For the first generation of My Little Pony they actually had the movie come before the series and it had over 60 episodes which was generally unheard of for girl's shows at the time

And really they've managed to do a lot of things that few other series have managed to pull off, they've managed to stay in touch with their fan base without alienating the original audience, they've made a likable Pretty Girl character despite the Pretty Girl trope being somewhat blacklisted and often being used for either the antagonist or the dumb one, they even managed to make an episode about descrimination despite the fact that it's a topic nobody wants to handle anymore without anyone flagging it for touching on the subject, I think they can manage to do one 66 minute movie without jumping the shark

In short have a bit more faith in the series staff, stop worrying that they're going to screw up and just enjoy what they do right and worry about the mistakes when they actually happen

• Like 1

I wonder if this is a movie, or just a really amazing finale special that's apart from S3?

...S3 needs to start already.

It's called a My Little Pony DVD. If it was meant for television, it wouldn't have the DVD tag at the end. This is a direct to DVD movie.

This could be good or bad. Good because it's an FiM movie. Bad because, generally speaking, a movie signals either the immediate death or the beginning of the long and agonizing death of a series, I'm afraid to say.

One name: "Super Mario Bros" The 1992 movie was a bomb (Bad way). And our Italian stereotype still goes strong.

The Ninja turtles are other exception, last movies where "meh" but the first one was from 1990 and turtles didn't go out of fad until 1996, then they came back, but in an underdog way dunno if this counts as long and agonizing death.

All generalizations are false... (even this one)

The first MLP movie dated of 1986, and G1 gone strong 'til 1996, then came G2, and with, the blind tries of actualizing the product.. G3, G3.5 basically stabs in the dark trying to remake the 80's success... And with G4 they scored big time.

If it is a straight-to-DVD release, it's going to spell a sticky situation for anypony that tries to upload it to youtube. I think this is one instance that Hasbro can't really be idle about distribution. However, this is just pure speculation at this point, so we'll have to see what happens in time to come.

One name: "Super Mario Bros" The 1992 movie was a bomb (Bad way). And our Italian stereotype still goes strong.

The Ninja turtles are other exception, last movies where "meh" but the first one was from 1990 and turtles didn't go out of fad until 1996, then they came back, but in an underdog way dunno if this counts as long and agonizing death.

All generalizations are false... (even this one)

The first MLP movie dated of 1986, and G1 gone strong 'til 1996, then came G2, and with, the blind tries of actualizing the product.. G3, G3.5 basically stabs in the dark trying to remake the 80's success... And with G4 they scored big time.

The Ninja Turtles movies where always a separate franchise from the shows. It doesn't really compare

Personally I doubt how well a movie would work. I would love a good movie but of the three two parters only the second one seemed like it needed to be longer and it still wasn't up to theater quality

• 2 weeks later...

An MLP:FIM movie huh?

You know what I think would be a good idea for a FIM movie? Okay, so there are these three witches, and they invent this gunk called "Smooze"... nah just kidding. Although I think a lot of G1 stories, retold with the Mane Six in the lead, could probably be seriously improved upon.

I think what dooms a lot of movies of TV Series is high expectations. People think the movie is gonna be ten times better, and most of the time what they get is just an extended standard episode. So I think it would help going in to expect this to be just an episode of MLP in long format, and not something that'll set our world on fire.

Of course, they could always surprise us by animating Cupcakes or something. And then cats will grow wings and fly us into space.