Need Practice – Taking Requests [Closed for Now]

EbenLynx

[Closed to new requests until I can catch up]

Hello there! I’m fairly new to the site, and I figured I could use this part of the forums to get some drawing practice. I’m an animation student, currently attending Westwood College, but with my school’s heavy focus on 3D art, and my tendency to get distracted when drawing on my own time, my fundamental drawing skills have gone a bit stale. Fortunately, I tend to do better when working for someone else, and so I would like to take your requests (preferably stuff with OCs). This is my first time taking requests, so I welcome any advice on doing so. I also welcome critique on my work, regardless of how brutal.

As I mentioned, I am a college student, and also already working on a side project, so it might take me a while to get around to and complete requests, so please be patient. I draw with vectors directly in Adobe Flash, so it’s possible to add animations to the drawings (I’d prefer to keep these as simple as possible in the interest of time). Here’s a link to my DeviantART gallery for samples of my drawings and animations: http://eben-swf.devi...rt.com/gallery/

Queue:

- BlindJester

- BrainedBySaucepans

- ArcadePerfect

- Starbuster

Hooray!! ^^ How do you feel about gypsies..?

One time when she was doing a reading, she wrote her number on the pony's hoof and said that her future looked clear. She's very flirty, and I think that it would be awesome if you would be able to show off this side of her a little bit, but if not, that's cool too. C:

Anyways, here's what she looks like..

post-4257-0-12550600-1347007083_thumb.pn

And here's her information..

Name: Licorice Black

Sex: Female

Species: Earth Pony

Eye Colour: Emerald Green

Coat Colour: Her coat is a lovely cornflower blue.

Mane/tail colour/style: Licorice's mane is light grey and very long. Most of the time, it flows freely out from under her darker grey headband

Physique: She has an average physique, but is very femininely shaped, a little larger in the chest and hips.

Cutie Mark: An eyeball-ish palm-like figure (See picture below)

Origin/Residence: She was born in Las Pegasus, but grew up traveling with her family in their caravan.

Motivation: She has always been interested in magic, potion making, strange creatures, and the seemingly unreal. Licorice is very passionate about what she does, and loves to share it with others.

Flaws: Licorice can be a bit of a flirt at times, which sure can bring her troubles. She also wishes with every bone in her body that she had been born a unicorn, rather than an earth pony.

Personality: A very peaceful creature, Licorice loves to make friends and have fun. She loves talking with her peers face to face. She can be either very quiet or very talkative, depending on the situation. She's pretty easy going, and is extremely open minded. There seems to just be an aura about her... But maybe that's just her perfume.

History: "Wealth, love and health! COME ONE, COME ALL! Your future depends on your actions today.. IT'S FUN FOR BIG, AND IT'S FUN FOR SMALL! It's all up to you! So what are YOU going to do?! Black family fortunes." Licorice knew the flier well. She couldn't stand her family's business. At least, not the way that they went about doing it. She had always been deeply interested in everything her parents were leading others to believe that they could do for them. Knowing that it was all a hoax, just for the sake of bits, really hurt Licorice's heart. The books which her parents had displayed in the caravan in order to make their guesstimates about customer's futures and their card readings seem as believable as possible were legitimate books on the topics, however. Licorice studied and studied from them, teaching herself how to do what her parents failed at doing in a rage of pure passion. Eventually, ponies would request for her to do their predictions. She would never do anything for bits, no matter how much her parents had begged her to. She still disagreed with their little family business, just because of her mother and father's constant falsehoods through it. They'd only make other ponies believe that what they were saying was accurate; neither Licorice's mother or father actually believed in the stuff their selves.

Parents: Licorice's mother was a unicorn, her father an earth pony. Her father had always been more of a rough, straight to the point sort of guy. Her mother used to tell her stories as a foal before bed each night, which Licorice loved to help create and add to. Her mother sometimes used to joke that she had a younger brother who had been sold to the gypsies, but she knew that her mother was just joking about it.

Cutie Mark Story: Licorice's father had a customer who he'd told had a short life line, and the customer was not happy about it. He went home very worried that Licorice's father had been correct. He did some research on his own, and discovered that the line had been very misread, and that, if this stuff was even real, he actually had a very large life line. He studied up himself, realizing how wrong Licorice's father had been throughout the whole thing. He came back to the Black family caravan the next day, very upset. The customer asked for a refund, but Licorice's greedy father told him that the best they could do was a re-reading, thinking that he could just tell him some good things were in store for him and be done. The stallion revealed himself to be a member of the Royal Guard, and told Licorice's father that there would be consequences if they messed it up again. Seeing how worried both of her parents seemed about it, Licorice volunteered to try. They were very skeptical about letting her, as she was just a foal, but her father insisted to her mother that he couldn't be hard on a foal. Because she had studied up on things, she was able to tell it accurately, pleasing the guard. Although she did not get a tip, she did get her cutie mark after the reading.

Likes: Magical things, peaceful environments, playing the gypsy violin, candlelight, things that simply cannot be understood, the moon, nighttime, potion making, owls, otherworldly things, romance, classic rock, and other oddities.

Dislikes: The disapproval of other ponies, failure, having been born an earth pony rather than a unicorn, when ponies use magic to be mean, power being abused, and when her friends go to bed too early.

Other Info: She had to be home schooled because of the constant traveling. Licorice is very intelligent. She is charismatic when she wants to be, but quite when it's appropriate.

Thank you everso much, Scamp! ^^ And welcome to Canterlot!

I request that you draw a picture of Sweetie Belle tutoring Scootaloo in math, but Scootaloo is paying more attention to how pretty Sweetie Belle is than the book!

Also Sweetie Belle isn't so good with math, so draw the book upside down.

An interesting idea, but I was hoping to focus more on OCs.

Hmm. I love to get my ponies drawn when I can. :)

How about my Hopesong? I don't have any art of just her solo. Feel free to use the existing picture on the profile as a reference if you'd like.

Right, sounds good. Is there any particular pose or situation you’d like her in?

Hooray!! ^^ How do you feel about gypsies..?

One time when she was doing a reading, she wrote her number on the pony's hoof and said that her future looked clear. She's very flirty, and I think that it would be awesome if you would be able to show off this side of her a little bit, but if not, that's cool too. C:

So... A flirty gypsy pony? I can do that. Did you want me to draw her in that scenario you described? If so, could you tell me a few more details, like who she was with, where they were, etc?

I’ll queue these up on a list and get started as soon as I can, but do remember that it may take a while, as I have other things to work on as well.

Wow, rock on! Thank you Scamp C: YES- She is a flirty gypsy pony! ^^ Umm, that was more of just an example of how she can be flirtatious, I haven't actually thought about an idea for the piece, but that could totally work! :3 I actually never said who it was that she did that to in the rp, so just a random pony of your choosing would work fine for that. She once said that ponies are souls with bodies, not bodies with souls, so it wouldn't matter if it was a guy or a girl. Oh! Another thing that I forgot to mention was that she winks a lot, so I could imagine like, the pony facing away from the picture, holding the hoof up that she wrote on and she could be like, winking back at him in front of the caravan. Haha, but you probably have more of an eye for these things than I, so if you'd rather do something else for it that would be cool too :#3

Right, sounds good. Is there any particular pose or situation you’d like her in?

Eh, whatever you'd like to do with her is fine, I think. I'm not looking for anything super elaborate or exciting. I'll leave it up to you. :)

Eh, whatever you'd like to do with her is fine, I think. I'm not looking for anything super elaborate or exciting. I'll leave it up to you. :)

Done :D I'm having some trouble trying to use the gallery, so here's a link to a DeviantArt submission: http://eben-swf.devi...t.com/#/d5g7ugj

I'll admit she came out looking somewhat older than I intended... I tried to make her look older than the CMCs, but younger than the mane cast, but I've always been terrible with young/pre-teen characters. Plus, I'm still getting used to drawing ponies.

Practice request you say?

Sign me up!

How about you try drawing my Melody Spark!

I don't have a great ref for her yet, but it should do the job.

Link is in the side

<=====

Can do! I'll add you to the queue.

Wow, rock on! Thank you Scamp C: YES- She is a flirty gypsy pony! ^^ Umm, that was more of just an example of how she can be flirtatious, I haven't actually thought about an idea for the piece, but that could totally work! :3 I actually never said who it was that she did that to in the rp, so just a random pony of your choosing would work fine for that. She once said that ponies are souls with bodies, not bodies with souls, so it wouldn't matter if it was a guy or a girl. Oh! Another thing that I forgot to mention was that she winks a lot, so I could imagine like, the pony facing away from the picture, holding the hoof up that she wrote on and she could be like, winking back at him in front of the caravan. Haha, but you probably have more of an eye for these things than I, so if you'd rather do something else for it that would be cool too :#3

Hello again. I've been away from my computer for a couple days (which is naturally problematic for digital artists), but here's a pencil sketch I did while out and about: http://eben-swf.devi...scraps#/d5gjbf9

I chose to go with a simpler scene to avoid possibly biting off more than I can chew and completely ruining it. I want to put some kind of witty dialog in the blank area beside her head. I still plan to finish this with colour in Adobe Flash, so if there's anything you'd like changed, let me know, because Flash is like art with cheat codes.

• Like 1

That looks amazing, even just as a sketch. No need to enable cheat codes, because I think it's looking awesome, and I'm exctied to see it finished. The facial expressions turn my gigglebox and make my insides smile! :> I like the idea of the witty dialogue! Would you like me to come up with something for it, or..?

That looks amazing, even just as a sketch. No need to enable cheat codes, because I think it's looking awesome, and I'm exctied to see it finished. The facial expressions turn my gigglebox and make my insides smile! :> I like the idea of the witty dialogue! Would you like me to come up with something for it, or..?

I thought about having her say "I foresee a romantic evening with a beautiful gypsy in your near future." But if you can think of something more suitable for her, do tell - I wouldn't want to use something out of character for her.

Flash is like art with cheat codes.

I knew there was a reason I did all my drawing in Flash...

If you're still taking requests, could you please draw my OC Prof. Ashen Smirk absorbed in his research? Here's a link to my RP app: http://www.canterlot.com/topic/10903-professor-ashen-smirk-final/