Season 3 Episode 7 Synopsis

Whitehawke

I'll give my regular episode comments early, but since it's no holds barred spoilers, I'll spoil. :P

"I wouldn't be surprised if they went ahead and made me a Wonderbolt on the first day." Well, if the Sonic Rainboom didn't do it, I don't know what will.

rainbow_dash_shrug_by_dropletx1-d3j6g5i.png

Ah so many new Pegasus characters!

Woah what why does Spitfire sound so weird?

Oh snap Spitfire's Cutie Mark! :o

Ahahaha, they just high-fived with their wings!

'Lightning Dust'? Really Hasbro, are you losing your creativity?

Um, Pinkie Pie... Is the letter going to magically appear in the mailbox, or does somepony have to deliver it? Pegasi aren't Unicorns, you know...

What the hay? Rainbow Dash is no longer the best flyer? :o

Ahahaha they made a tornado and lost control. XD

Wait why isn't Fluttershy flying? Or trying to save somepony?

CerealSpitting.png

RAINBOW DASH QUIT WANTING TO BE A WONDERBOLT?!

Ah man. I hoped Lightning Dust was going to learn some kind of moral lesson.

I gave it a watch, enjoyed it. Though not as good as the last two IMHO still oozing quality.

I will be watching the DVRed version though. Mainly for HDness... the quality of the leak made me want to cry.

Glad to see the pegasi get some spotlight this episode. However, I wasn't as enthralled with this episode like I was with the last two. It seemed to me like the whole 'boot camp' routine was unnaturally forced upon the Wonderbolts just for the sake of the episode's plot. I'll have to give the episode a 3/5.

Glad to see the pegasi get some spotlight this episode. However, I wasn't as enthralled with this episode like I was with the last two. It seemed to me like the whole 'boot camp' routine was unnaturally forced upon the Wonderbolts just for the sake of the episode's plot. I'll have to give the episode a 3/5.

Gah, I know! Spitfire was almost nothing like how she seemed in the past episodes. :/

A boot camp leader was not the pony I apped.

Gah, I know! Spitfire was almost nothing like how she seemed in the past episodes. :/

A boot camp leader was not the pony I apped.

I got the feeling that was a front rather than her true self.

Either that or evil twin. That could explain the different voice. :P

Speaking of Shipping, Marshmallow found her man? ooo. Thunderlane is a pretty cool stallion, yes I am biased.

z5Yvm.jpg

Outside of a few shots of minor fan service, the complete disregard of prior continuity with Spitfire ruined this episode for me. She used to be level headed and reasonable, now she is just a number driven idiot? You could expect rainbow or even lightning to learn something about teamwork. But the fact that SPITFIRE, the LEADER, of the wonderbolts didn't know this, is completely baffling and insulting to anyone with common sense. I really left this episode feeling dumb, and not in the good kind of way. I love Spitfire and Rainbow, but gosh, Spitfire just comes off as some irresponsible as a leader. If I was Rainbow, I would have said no, I shouldn't have to tell you this, and just left. Bad episode, sorry.

I give the episode a 2.5/5, and MLP episodes usually get a free score boost just for being MLP

As someone who has gone through military training, I totally disagree that this was out of character for Spitfire. We've already seen hints before that the Wonderbolts were a semi-military organization (When they attacked giant Spike, and Soarin's uniform at the Wedding.) Spitfire is the Commander of the Wonderbolts. You don't get to that position in a military organization by being nice to everyone. Everything I saw here seemed very in character for someone in a military leadership position. What Spitfire is like OFF-DUTY is a completely different thing.

Watch some footage of military basic training, or, better yet, some SEAL training, since Wonderbolts are an elite organization. Those NCOs doing the training are not like that all the time. They have lives and families and friends. You have to be tough on trainees in a situation like this to weed out individuals who might not be able to take the pressure.

All that above said, great episode.

I have the supposed source of the leak. Aparently a hacker from /mlp/ in 4chan hacked the hubs site and pulled it from there

The link I had was ON the Hub's site. No hacking involved, someone probably just put it up too early.

As someone who has gone through military training, I totally disagree that this was out of character for Spitfire. We've already seen hints before that the Wonderbolts were a semi-military organization (When they attacked giant Spike, and Soarin's uniform at the Wedding.) Spitfire is the Commander of the Wonderbolts. You don't get to that position in a military organization by being nice to everyone. Everything I saw here seemed very in character for someone in a military leadership position. What Spitfire is like OFF-DUTY is a completely different thing.

Watch some footage of military basic training, or, better yet, some SEAL training, since Wonderbolts are an elite organization. Those NCOs doing the training are not like that all the time. They have lives and families and friends. You have to be tough on trainees in a situation like this to weed out individuals who might not be able to take the pressure.

How connected to the royal military are the Wonderbolts, anyway? Despite Soarin's uniform at the Wedding (which could have just represented a pilot's uniform), everything up til this episode seemed to indicate the Wonderbolts were basically a civilian stunt team which happened to do occasional favors for Princess Celestia. Personally, I was expecting a recruitment process more like the NFL Draft and its training camp where the Wonderbolts choose who they know for sure who'll be a good fit, and them acclimate recruits to team-based stunts. Ergo, I found it a bit of a letdown that apparently Spitfire will allow any silly pegasi into her elite team's academy.

And if Spitfire's new abrasive personsa was all just an on-duty act, why couldn't she let her true personality shine through at the end? Judging by the fact that Merriweather Williams wrote the episode, I highly question that hardly any thought was put into Spitfire's characterization other than twisting her into the drill sergeant that Merriweather's story required. I'm sorry, but something about how Spitfire was handled just rubs me the wrong way.

People have to remember before this episode, Spitfire didn't really have a developed personality. Really, what did we know about her beforehand? She was a Wonderbolt and she remembered Dash and that was about it. We didn't know really anything else about her. Even in this episode we don't truly know the true Spitfire, just the front she put up similar to all intensive trainers. That hard nose attitude is expected though, it is part of her job to be hard on them, if she wasn't, she wouldn't be doing her job.

Hmmm realy? That's realy weird and rather unlikely why would they do that?

They prepare all episodes in advance to be posted on the site. What likely happened is someone published it [accidentaly?] while doing a final check.

I love this episode so much it's my favorite out of Season 3! I love LightningDust, but I felt that they were really hard on her at the end, I thought the way they designed the wonderbolts academy was great and since Rainbow Dash is now leader, this means future episodes of her as a WB right?! So excited to see where they take that! Also it was great to see Spitfire's character so well developed :D

I love this episode so much it's my favorite out of Season 3! I love LightningDust, but I felt that they were really hard on her at the end, I thought the way they designed the wonderbolts academy was great and since Rainbow Dash is now leader, this means future episodes of her as a WB right?! So excited to see where they take that! Also it was great to see Spitfire's character so well developed :D

She was a leader at the training camp, that was all. The training camp IS to pick future Wonderbolts, but Dash was never named a Wonderbolt in the show.