The end of the world

kunio18

I have to say, that I'm not really afraid of December the 21st...

(ok, besides some horror film monsters, there is little I'm afraid of^^')

I simply think (like some others as well), that the Maya simply build that calendar and would have built more tables with a further date, if they were still alive. At least they had their own names not only for time units as 10 or 100 years, but there was a single name actually standing for 61 million of years, and why should anyone make up a name for such an enourmous amount of time if they knew, that the end of the world would be in less than an thousand of years?

(again, there is that theory with aliens... maybe they have hidden a big bomb in the center of the earth, timed for December the 21st?)

Unless... maybe the world ends on December 21... and the 31 is the end of the end of the world... so everything just kind of ceases to exist for ten days before coming back.

Oh no ! We will be missing christmas ! It's the end of the world !

Edit, seriously :D : I am not afraid at all. We had lots of end of the world predictions, we will have lots more. And nothing will really happen. There isn't even a prophecy or anything this time, just a calendar doing a big jump in its numbers.

To be honest (and legitimately serious), at this point I'm more afraid that nothing will happen. No changes, no big evolution, no life-altering revelation not even a cataclysmic apocalypse. At this point in human history, I'm not asking for a natural disaster, or for penguins melting our icecaps or anything drastic. All I would love to see out of the 21st is some sort of idea, or, well, something.

Anything.

And so I knowingly set myself up for failure, and I ask myself: why? Why do you even want this? And to be honest I really don't know. Maybe I just want something to really mix up global events; something to really make people think. And that won't happen. Everything will stay exactly the same with the same normal day-to-day events, with the same people with the same mentality with the same problems and the same solutions and the same hate and the same peace and the same everything. Nothing will change. Just... nothing. Nothing at all.

And isn't that just a little sad.

To be fair, the past century has been pretty awesome. We crossed the Atlantic with an airplane for the first time, then set humans on the moon just about forty years later, and then there's also the internet and all the technology advancements we have. With airplanes we can be anywhere on the globe in less than a day, and with cellphones and internet we can communicate instantly with anyone, anywhere.

None of this really make people think. Yet at the same time this century have had a bunch of revolts and revolutions and people asking for justice and equality, too. It's not like nothing is happening ... it's that even fast-going changes are slow enough not to happen overnight, so you don't always see them. All the things that happened seems normal, in a way. The future is always tomorrow, it's never going on now.

I always laughed at this idea because I had a certain vision in front of my eyes.

Mayans: We're predicting time! We're predicting time! We're writing our calendar! We've made it until 21st of December 2012 (in our calendar of course)

Suddenly!: Hernán Cortés

Mayans: We're no longer predicting time! We didn't survive long enough to predict more!

I always imagined it as the guy carving the calendar just one day standing up, saying "You know, I've been doing this too long. I've predicted thousands of years into the future. I need a break." And he never goes back to it.

For my part I'm working at learning the Great Big Sea cover of It's the End of the World As We Know It, just for the sheer impressiveness of their speed.

Well just in case I did make this:

Several clips used in that music video are from British films.

One of them is Threads, probably THE most depressing and horribly realistic film about what would happen if a Nuclear war did go off, basically Britain's answer to The Day After but even worse on the depressionometer. If you're old enough I recommend giving it a watch.

The other is When the Wind Blows, a cartoon short also about the after effects of nuclear war, though still depressing it isn't quite as brutal in its honesty as Threads.

In reference to the Mayan Calendar, they ran out of stone, not days.

In reference to the real end of the world, it'll be when we all blow ourselves up/the sun goes supernova and eats us/the universe dies of heat death/big crunch/etc, delete as belief dictates.

Several clips used in that music video are from British films.

One of them is Threads, probably THE most depressing and horribly realistic film about what would happen if a Nuclear war did go off, basically Britain's answer to The Day After but even worse on the depressionometer. If you're old enough I recommend giving it a watch.

The other is When the Wind Blows, a cartoon short also about the after effects of nuclear war, though still depressing it isn't quite as brutal in its honesty as Threads.

Correct on all accounts.

I also used a clip from "protect and survive"

And Doctor Strangelove.

I don't believe in the end of the world is nigh. as my science teacher put it '2012 is the greatest hoax of this year. the mayans didn't predict their own deaths, so how could they predict ours." he also mentioned the leap year point Vedana brought up. there are also 'Modern day Mayans' that agree that the calender isn't a countdown to the end of the world.

I will end this on what a 'modern day Mayan' thought about the movie:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6519923/Ignore-the-movie-2012-will-not-be-the-end-of-world-say-Mayans.html

Actually, it's been cancelled. There's an archeology site that has calculations for the Mayan calendar far beyond 2012, also the calculations weren't for predicting the end of the world, it was because the Mayans had similar concerns about the world ending; they were actually reassuring themselves it wouldn't end