Fan Pandering

kunio18

...fans want more content from them, but then they want to complain about there being fan pandering...

:smug:

Yup.

Bronies need to be able to identify the difference between fan pandering/service and the creative process of making a show that the fans will like. It's almost like fans are pessimistic and say the show isn't as good anymore only because they expect it to fail eventually. And the fans who enjoy the show more recognize more often things that are either callbacks or coincidences in the storyboarding of the show that appear to cater to the all-ages humor that we love so much. It's a lose-lose argument, and its ridiculous. However, the moment they start throwing

at us, I'm out of here.
  • Like 1

Its not as if each and every episode is completely filled to the brim with memes and references from what us Bronies have been coming up with. I for one dont really see the harm in fan pandering. Its not taking away my enjoyment of the show and its not too often I see on tv obvious references that the creators are indeed paying attention to their fans' handiwork. Or maybe I havent been watching enough tv or been on the internet long enough...

Besides, Ive wanted to see Trixie again since her first appearance. She's too strong of a character to be seen just once and then you forget about her. I enjoy call backs, keeps up the continuity of the show in my opinion.

I think many fans blur the line between "fan pandering" and "writing characters-in"

A prime example would be when Luna came back for "Sleepless in Ponyville".

SO MANY BRONIES got butthurt about that, because they thought it was "fan pandering".

...Friends and neighbors, did it ever occur to us that maybe the writers wrote Luna in because she was part of the episode. Not EVERYTHING is a shout-out, and not everything will. Heck, Trixie coming back is not a shout-out, because they are both RE-OCCURRING CHARACTERS. They have nothing to do with fan demand, because the writers technically aren't even allowed to follow our demands. Fanfiction is NOT inspiration to the writers, as that would be ILLEGAL in many senses.

In general, the MOST fan pandering we've seen is Derpy's original appearance, and that was more of a shout-out than pandering. Besides that, I have no idea where people are pulling that the writers are "pandering" to us.

Anybody who's concerned about this is as hysterical as Twilight Sparkle.

And you DO NOT want to be as hysterical as Twilight Sparkle...

twilight_psycho_by_demoness_crystallia-d4e4vmw.png

• Like 1

The thing with the fandom that I've noticed recently is that it seems like the people who are obsessed with their own headcanons, the presence of Derpy, and the possibility of fanservice, are the ones who tend to go down the pessimistic road of claiming the 'fandom is dying.' How about watching the show for the original reason why you liked it in the first place?

I was one of those after the episode "The Last Roundup" where I was annoyed because I couldn't have a conversation with someone about the episode without them gasm-ing over the blond pegasus having a voice. I like Derpy just fine, but what about the other 21 minutes of the episode? Did no one else watch it? I even heard some people say they seriously had to take a break from the episode after Derpy talked because it was giving them an adrenaline high that kept them from focusing on the episode. Wow, really? Again, I don't have a problem with Derpy, I just think people need to chill the buck out. It's just a cartoon. We should really just relax. If you're someone who really thinks pandering can be a problem here, perhaps you're focusing too little on the foundation of the show, the mane six, the morals, the character antics, the horse puns, and the fact that in Equestria friendship=magic, which since the first season has increased in value and is being executed very well, even through it's third season.

The thing with the fandom that I've noticed recently is that it seems like the people who are obsessed with their own headcanons, the presence of Derpy, and the possibility of fanservice, are the ones who tend to go down the pessimistic road of claiming the 'fandom is dying.' How about watching the show for the original reason why you liked it in the first place?

I was one of those after the episode "The Last Roundup" where I was annoyed because I couldn't have a conversation with someone about the episode without them gasm-ing over the blond pegasus having a voice. I like Derpy just fine, but what about the other 21 minutes of the episode? Did no one else watch it? I even heard some people say they seriously had to take a break from the episode after Derpy talked because it was giving them an adrenaline high that kept them from focusing on the episode. Wow, really? Again, I don't have a problem with Derpy, I just think people need to chill the buck out. It's just a cartoon. We should really just relax. If you're someone who really thinks pandering can be a problem here, perhaps you're focusing too little on the foundation of the show, the mane six, the morals, the character antics, the horse puns, and the fact that in Equestria friendship=magic, which since the first season has increased in value and is being executed very well, even through it's third season.

Best part of the episode was the homage to I Love Lucy. End of story.

As for Derpy, I don't mind her, but I think this fandom makes a big deal out of her because she is theirs. However every background character is technically. You can make a list! Yes, Studio B took it upon themselves to put Derpy in just about every episode. And that is really nice for the fandom, but it makes people crazy. And personally, I am liking the season more because she is not as prevalent. Let her show up when it makes sense, she doesn't need to be everywhere.

I definitely feel there is a lot of stuff in season 3 that was popular among the fandom, whether in fanfics or just in general. I'm not sure if it's coincidence, or if they're actually gearing things toward the fans. I feel that it IS a bad thing, because I didn't start watching the show for the shout outs. I want to watch an unbiased show for kids, that is magical and colourful.

That is true, I personally feel like this show is getting more, in a word, mature. But I for one, like it that way. It shows that MLP is more then just a mindless, emotionless, shell of a little kids show. (Like we see too much of nowadays)

I definitely feel there is a lot of stuff in season 3 that was popular among the fandom, whether in fanfics or just in general. I'm not sure if it's coincidence, or if they're actually gearing things toward the fans. I feel that it IS a bad thing, because I didn't start watching the show for the shout outs. I want to watch an unbiased show for kids, that is magical and colourful.

This sums up my thoughts perfectly.

I feel that Season 3 has been a significant downgrade from Season 2. (Though Season 2 IS when it all started. The Last Roundup fiasco and Rainbow Dash constantly being put in sunglasses for no reason) All of the pandering is just so obvious, so hamfisted. And people can wonder - why is this a bad thing? Because when you try to pander to an audience, make an active effort (especially an audience a show was not made for), it detracts significantly usually from the work rather than just doing your own thing and continuing to allow it to be good in its own context. It's like they're shoving it in the faces of bronies for them to eat out of a plate. "Look what we did! Now love us!" Knowing this honestly makes me feel a little disgusted and disappointed with the crew. Can't they have the confidence that their show CAN be good enough without needlessly pandering to a periphery demographic that it's not even made for? An occasional reference or shout out for them is okay. But the levels the show has been getting lately... all I can say is at least the latest episode was centered around Applejack. It didn't have much pandering in it at least.

I feel pandering to bronies too detracts from it being a show for little girls. And the only one, at that, that's actually any good for them. A show made for females is now trying to pander to a base of males. As a female myself, that makes me a little upset. There aren't enough good shows for us out there. It almost feels like the bronies stole the show away from little girls. Honestly? The demographic of teenage males and older is quite lucrative. It's often what most marketers try to pander to. You guys have enough good shows and choices for you. Little girls do not. It's just sort of disappointing. If you like the show for what it is anyway and accept that your demographic is not the primary one, you don't need to be pandered to.

• Like 1

Isn't it amazing how quickly this fandom will turn on the crew when regarding shout-outs?

Remember when people were looking for Derpy every episode in Season 2?

Remember when we all loved Derpy being in The Last Roundup? How much we loved the crew? Now we're bad-mouthing them?

Whatever. Personally, I just WATCH THE SHOW. I say we stop pointing at and nitpicking every little hint to us, and do what the crew EXPECTED it to cause...for us to chuckle and love the crew for the love they reciprocate.

Is that too much to ask?

Trixie coming back for revenge? That's a panderin'.

Dashie taking Scoots under her wing? That's a panderin'.

AJ getting her own song for once? Oh, you better believe that's a panderin'.

• Like 2

do some of you feel that the brony era is coming to an end because of these quarrels?..or at least fading

I've said this previously and I'll say it again: all fandoms have stupid quarrels. MLP:FiM was never special in this regard.

Trixie coming back for revenge? That's a panderin'.

Dashie taking Scoots under her wing? That's a panderin'.

AJ getting her own song for once? Oh, you better believe that's a panderin'.

I'm not sure about this, especially considering the time lapse between an episode getting finished and its first rough draft as a story. Trixie's return was originally going to air in an earlier season. Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash have long had a relationship building, and Applejack hasn't had a song until this week's episode. The existence of the show is itself pandering, only if we choose to view it as such. I think there's a difference between a story and world following a natural continuity and blatantly catering to fans. It's not a bad thing, especially if it's done right and in a balanced way that doesn't detract from the core of what makes the show special to those who are fans of it.

Because she annoys you in general, or because it was feeling over-done?

The entirety of the character bothers me in lieu of the popularity she has with the fans. Her only true notable qualities seem to be wall-eyes and klutziness. I could have sworn that the periphery demographic came to love and appreciate this series because of the wit, lore and excellent character design and development. Derpy Hooves exhibits none of these traits, and yet people can be made to believe that the series is about her, or that she has some great eligibility as a character because she "belongs" to the fandom, never mind that it was a mere animation error that even brought her to life from the pit of hell known as 4Chan.

Points all well made, and again, thank you for pointing that out river.

Amy Keating Rogers said in her panel "I've often wondered if anybody saw the other 20 minutes of the episode [Last Roundup]."

She also said that "Derpy is a creation of the fans. She belongs to you guys, and nobody can take that away."

It really was a fantastic panel. It's a shame she's not writing for FiM anymore. :scream:

• 2 weeks later...
Bronies need to be able to identify the difference between fan pandering/service and the creative process of making a show that the fans will like. It's almost like fans are pessimistic and say the show isn't as good anymore only because they expect it to fail eventually. And the fans who enjoy the show more recognize more often things that are either callbacks or coincidences in the storyboarding of the show that appear to cater to the all-ages humor that we love so much. It's a lose-lose argument, and its ridiculous. However, the moment they start throwing
at us, I'm out of here.

thats it, im outta here!

fans want more content from them, but then they want to complain about there being fan pandering...

Remember when we all loved Derpy being in The Last Roundup? How much we loved the crew? Now we're bad-mouthing them?

"I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of bronies, sir .

The what?

The duality of bronies. The Jungian thing, sir."*

I personally like the shout-outs, although I prefer the cultural references to the brony ones.

I do wonder those that complain about 'pandering' risk driving themselves away from the show or at least diminishing their enjoyment.

Trixie is back!

A: A good episode where a former rival is redeemed?

B: Blatant Trixie fan pandering? GRAAAAGH!

Luna is able to influence dreams and prevent nightmares!

A: A display of (royal) pony culture that reinforces the fact that the princesses take a serious part in the running of their kingdom (with worrying questions about the 'millennia of nightmares' that occurred while Luna was on the moon)?

B: Blatant Luna fan pandering? GRAAAAAGH!

Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo share a touching moment!

A: That's just adorable! It really shows how their relationship is progressing in an episode that addresses issues of how others see you?

B: Blatant Scoota-love pandering? GRAAAAAAGH!

I'm not saying that shout-outs, blatant and not, don't exist but take a moment to consider that thing that you are sure you have seen in a pic/fan-fic/headcanon....

There are only seven plots **

Blatant human pandering

post-3119-0-42928800-1357561857_thumb.pn

GRAAAAAAAAAGH!

*With relevant apologies.

** TVtropes link. Fairly warned be ye.

I feel like season two had more pandering to the bronies then season three. Season three has plots that appeal to bronies and thats awesome. Season two seemed like it tried to have reaction faces constantly and things that could be made into memes, at least thats how I see it