Human Pony Spin-off - From the Toy Fair

WillowWisp

An issue of a magazine from the Toy Fair confirms a new spin-off show where the ponies go to a new world and take human forms:

Scan from the magazine here.

Character design concept of Trixie

It's not connected to the main show and will be it's own AU series. Still...

Why?

I was thinking it would be a classic young child school show. Teaching them the about school, bullies, and other school stuff. In the back of my mind I can't break the thoought that this is a show for the Bronies, and that the rating will be higher.

The mane 6 are all young independent working ladies, none of which go to school. It doesn't make sense to put them in high school or earlier.

Also: I don't put much stock in this rumor at the current time.

It's not a rumor. It's an official press release at the Toy Fair.

:I Read the artical. I wouldn't post just a fake or speculated image.

It's not a rumor. It's an official press release at the Toy Fair.

It isn't a press release as I understand it. A press release comes from the parent company, and is distributed to MANY outlets for them to cover the material.

Read the artical. I wouldn't post just a fake or speculated image.

I read what I could of the article. But only the one page? Is the rest of it available? I'd never heard of that magazine. It doesn't have a wikipedia article, and searching their site doesn't bring up that particular article. What is the reputation of "kidscreen"? Are they a big deal? A self-described total circulation of less than 13,000 issues seems like small potatoes to me. Are they really the best source for Hasbro to release information to regarding new shows?

Furthermore, where did thoset Hallway and Trixie pictures come from? It could easily have been drawn by any one of many talented MLP trolls. Heck, it could have been poached by a non-tallented troll from any of the image depositories as far as I know. Even ED calls them speculation, since they were unable to track down the sources.

Note that while the article references "Arnesen" (presumable Finn Arnesen, Hasbro's executive VP of international distribution and development), and has much information from him regarding Hasbro properties, the line regarding the spin off isn't a quote from him, nor is it attributed to him...it is just near a quote from him calling MLP a "top priority".

I'm not saying it is absolutely fake, but it seems fishy to me. Patience is probably warranted.

its hardly a rumor anymore. its been released in an official magazine.

Tabloids are official magazines too.

The mane 6 are all young independent working ladies, none of which go to school. It doesn't make sense to put them in high school or earlier.

Also: I don't put much stock in this rumor at the current time.

Maybe not high school but maybe college, but then again we can't know the aging process of ponies to humans. We don't know hold old the mane six are exactly, and odds are that ponies age differently to humans so pony wise they could be adults, or young adults, but in comparison to humans they are only into their late teens, maybe 17-18. Either way Pinkie will be a year younger then Fluttershy, so if Fluttershy is 18 then Pinkie is 17 :P

Also I am not too sure of this spin-off, but it is a spin off so its story line will not come into conflict with the normal mlp story line. Alternate universe perhaps or something. Possibly some interesting fanfic ideas to sprout from it if it is true and I'm always ready to write something.

If it is true and it does come out, I'll give it a shot. If it has Twilight or Pinkie Pie in it I'll watch it. Oh I wonder if Lyra would make an apperance XD

• Like 1

It isn't a press release as I understand it. A press release comes from the parent company, and is distributed to MANY outlets for them to cover the material.

I read the readable sections of the article. But only the one page? Is the rest of the article available? I'd never heard of that magazine. It doesn't have a wikipedia article, and searching their site doesn't bring up that particular article. What is the reputation of "kidscreen"? Are they a big deal? A self-described total circulation of less than 13,000 issues seems like small potatoes to me. Are they really the best source for Hasbro to release information to regarding new shows?

Furthermore, where did thoset Hallway and Trixie pictures come from? It could easily have been drawn by any one of many talented MLP trolls. Heck, it could have been poached by a non-tallented troll from any of the image depositories as far as I know. Even ED calls them speculation, since they were unable to track down the sources.

Note that while the article references "Arnesen" (presumable Finn Arnesen, Hasbro's executive VP of international distribution and development), the line regarding the spin off isn't a quote from him...it is just near a quote from him.

I'm not saying it is absolutely fake, but it seems fishy to me. Patience is probably warranted.

Tabloid are official magazines too.

The source comes right from a booth by Hasbro at the Toy Fair. The magazine happens to be the publication they release to vendors and attendees of the show. There is even a video doctumentation of the actual magazine.

Hasbro has also sumitted copyright requests for the show name, as well as some consept products that go along with it.

The reason nothing comes up when you currently search is because Toy Fair doesn't release annoucements until the end of the show. This was leaked by an attendee.

I didn't say the magazine was fake. I think the information in the magazine is questionable, so the video proving the magazine exists doesn't do anything for me.

Hasbro has also sumitted copyright requests for the show name, as well as some consept products that go along with it.

Hasbro has submitted two copyright requests with no pictures, that I could find. Do you have a source for the concept products?

I think it's pretty safe to say this is real, though EqD does say the images floating around (Trixie and the Mane six) are unsourced, so their veracity is hard to determine.

I think this is interesting news. I have serious reservations about the choice of setting if it's a school as that seems very reductive compared to the setting FIM has. At the same times, I didn't expect to like FIM itself from what I heard and saw at first so I'm keeping an open mind. I'll watch the show and come to my own conclusions in regards to the quality.

If it's good, then this is pretty cool as it may just give us something new to follow between seasons of FIM. :)

• Like 1

I think this is interesting news. I have serious reservations about the choice of setting if it's a school as that seems very reductive compared to the setting FIM has. At the same times, I didn't expect to like FIM itself from what I heard and saw at first so I'm keeping an open mind. I'll watch the show and come to my own conclusions in regards to the quality.

If it's good, then this is pretty cool as it may just give us something new to follow between seasons of FIM. :)

Thats what I was thinking.

I didn't say the magazine was fake. I think the information in the magazine is questionable, so the video proving the magazine exists doesn't do anything for me.

Hasbro has submitted two copyright requests with no pictures, that I could find. Do you have a source for the concept products?

Most have been taken down. As I said this is all suppose to be knownledge to Toy Fair venders and attendees only. It's only because one of them scanned and video tapes the magazine that the information is out as it is. It only was presented today. It came along with talk of the made for TV movie. Most information will not be openly out there until Toy Fair has ended.

As with everything, I'll give it a chance, see how it plays out but it does raise questions with me....

Are there not enough shows with this new premise already?

Will Fluttershy and RD be able to fly & will Rarity and Twily be able to use magic/TK?

Actually, I will leave it at that.... there are just too many questions/possibilities about mixing the lore of Equestria and the real world. (If the new show is set there.)

Hmmm..... not sure what to think of this humanized spin-off. Is this a blatant cash-grab by Hasbro? Well duh, but so is FiM and almost everything else on the Hub. Is this a lazy cash-grab? That too, but a whole bunch of other successful franchises have to deal with lazy tie-ins that exist because it's "safer" to use already-established IPs.... and most of those franchises march on anyway.

Just one thing though: I don't see the issue with the Main Six physically transforming into human teenagers. From what we understand, the process of a pony maturing into an adult is a lot simpler than it is for westernized folks, and seems to skip the "teenage" phase completely. In fact, the concept of a human "high school" just might be completely alien to ponies. I will assume then that much of the storylines will focus around how the Main Six (notice how I no longer use "Mane"?) successfully infiltrate our society.

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic. Even if this whole enterprise turns out to be a flaming wreck for us FiM fans, at least we have proof of Hasbro's confidence in the moneymaking power of this franchise. :P

This tickles me funny. I want to support this as much as I support FiM, but at the same time so few details about this are known, most critically whether it's simply a rumor or actually going to happen, that I'm afraid to get super excited about it only for it to be disappointing.

Among other questions (are the girls going from Equestria to Earth, is it simply Alternate Universe where it's the similar girls just always as humans instead of ponies, etc), I think the biggest question is who the target audience is. Is it still going to be targeted towards younger girls, or is it going to be targeted toward the bronies? I've heard both, and I'm not sure how to react to the possibility of it directly targeting us, the older folks.

I guess, really, what it boils down to, is whether it will maintain the (usually) high quality of FiM, or be a spin-off that spins off into the realm of "potentially good things gone horribly wrong." On top of, you know, actually existing.

Also, is it me or do the girls looks suspiciously similar to a certain

of humanized ponies?

Now, on a more serious note. From what I've seen, the only stuff that's *CONFIRMED* so far is that there's gonna be a spinoff series called "Equestria Girls" and it'll be aimed at teenaged girls instead of the single-digit audience FiM was aimed at.

The humanized pony images, thus far, don't have any confirmed source. They could very easily be somebody trolling.

• 2 weeks later...

if that is the official design to me it looks a bit...."Fan Work-y"

Thus far the Mane 6 Ponies have been depicted as being young adults, probably in their 20s, and if it follows the same pattern that many other original worlds do it has many similarities in terms of culture which means that most of them would have to 21 or older since they wouldn't be able to enter a contract and thus could not own a house (True in Twilight's case Celestia probably arranged for her to live in the Library then Applejack's house was the first building built in Ponyville so she's living in her family home, and Pinkie we don't know her exact arrangement, but Fluttershy, Rarity and Rainbow Dash all own their own homes), but I suppose they could always wave it off as being a side effect of the Pony to Human spell that makes their Human forms a different age from their true forms.

But I compared it to a fan image because a number of people have had Human versions of the Mane 6 be High School students, I don't really understand why to me it doesn't make sense, in addition to the point I previously mentioned, most of them either have their permanent job or are taking steps toward it and people who do continue a job they have in high school for the rest of their working lives tend to be either very successful or very unsuccessful. I suppose the logic behind it is that it's a case where you could easily have a mix of character types that may be difficult to have with college or university and somebody who is still school aged would be easier for children to identify with than somebody who has finished schooling started their career (though that still doesn't explain the fan works). Though I would have thought that Monster High would have a monopoly in terms of human characters with non-human colouring (and again a surprising number of fan works have made the Mane 6 Humans but left them with skin the colour of their coats)

Still I won't object too strongly if whatever designs they have do something to dispell some of the (Other) Humanised Pony troupes that I'm not especially fond of, though if they do go with those colours and they've been transported to our world that could be interesting considering Applejack and Rarity are the only ones who are close to normal Human colours; can you just imagine explaining the others

"Why is that girl pink?"

"She has a mild sunburn"

"And that one is yellow...."

"She suffers from chronic jaundice"

"And what about those blue and purple ones?"

"They have a skin condition that makes them bruise easily"

• Like 1

if that is the official design to me it looks a bit...."Fan Work-y"

Thus far the Mane 6 Ponies have been depicted as being young adults, probably in their 20s, and if it follows the same pattern that many other original worlds do it has many similarities in terms of culture which means that most of them would have to 21 or older since they wouldn't be able to enter a contract and thus could not own a house (True in Twilight's case Celestia probably arranged for her to live in the Library then Applejack's house was the first building built in Ponyville so she's living in her family home, and Pinkie we don't know her exact arrangement, but Fluttershy, Rarity and Rainbow Dash all own their own homes), but I suppose they could always wave it off as being a side effect of the Pony to Human spell that makes their Human forms a different age from their true forms.

But I compared it to a fan image because a number of people have had Human versions of the Mane 6 be High School students, I don't really understand why to me it doesn't make sense, in addition to the point I previously mentioned, most of them either have their permanent job or are taking steps toward it and people who do continue a job they have in high school for the rest of their working lives tend to be either very successful or very unsuccessful. I suppose the logic behind it is that it's a case where you could easily have a mix of character types that may be difficult to have with college or university and somebody who is still school aged would be easier for children to identify with than somebody who has finished schooling started their career (though that still doesn't explain the fan works). Though I would have thought that Monster High would have a monopoly in terms of human characters with non-human colouring (and again a surprising number of fan works have made the Mane 6 Humans but left them with skin the colour of their coats)

Still I won't object too strongly if whatever designs they have do something to dispell some of the (Other) Humanised Pony troupes that I'm not especially fond of, though if they do go with those colours and they've been transported to our world that could be interesting considering Applejack and Rarity are the only ones who are close to normal Human colours; can you just imagine explaining the others

"Why is that girl pink?"

"She has a mild sunburn"

"And that one is yellow...."

"She suffers from chronic jaundice"

"And what about those blue and purple ones?"

"They have a skin condition that makes them bruise easily"

"And the orange one?"

"She's related to Snookie."

• Like 2

And I'm sure you've all seen this by now..

hasbro2superjumbo.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/02/business/hasbro-expands-transformers-brand-into-new-media.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2&

Yep. They look like the High School girls I remember. Blue and yellow skin..Wings...Cat ears on the tops of their heads. Long tails. Of course, my High School was on Three Mile Island. :razz: