What anime are you currently watching?

carameldelight

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently watching D.Gray-Man and Persona 4. I also just finished watching Elfen Lied, without crying 8-) . I also wanted to get into Fairy Tail, but that's a huge commitment. Anyone know any good short animes? Like, one or two seasons?

Hmm, well I don't know what your tastes are and how they line up with mine, but Persona 4 is a favorite of mine and I liked Elfen Lied and Fairy Tail okay as well.

These are a handfull of my favorite anime in the 12-13 episode range:

• Puella Magi Madoka Magica (my very favorite :kyubey: )
  • Love Lab
  • Girls Und Panzer
  • Canaan
  • Suisei no Gargantia (13 now, but a sequel is evidently on the way)
  • Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
  • Sora no Woto

And a handful of standouts in the 24-26 episode range as well:

• Steins;Gate
  • Fate/Zero
  • Psycho Pass
  • Cowboy Bebop (though I'd assume most have seen it by now)
  • Noir
  • Nichijou
  • Claymore

As for me, I've finally gotten a means to get back to my regular watching of anime. Started off catching up on Kill la Kill yesterday, which is quite the fun ride. Definitely recommend that for anyone looking for something new.

Gonna figure out now what else to watch now. I missed most of the previous fall season and the start of the winter season due to computer issues, so I got a lot to catch up on. :)

Well first thing's first, i'm going to drop my two cent on the whole "Is Avatar: Last Airbender an anime" issue. Yes, yes it is. I will never understand how someone who has seen the show can claim that it isn't an anime. It really blows my mind. Anime isn't about where it was made, it's about style. That's all it is, a style. A style pioneered in japan, but still just a style. Saying that LAB isn't an anime because it's western is like telling people their art isn't what they say it is because it wasn't created in the country it was pioneered in.

Dubstep came from other inspirations, but really broke out and was pioneered by artists in the U.K. is canadian and US dubstep not dubstep? If you make abstract paintings in california, is your work not abstract painting because it wasn't created in Stockholm where Klint studied art? This only happens with anime, are anime fans so desperate to keep what they like away from western entertainment, that nothing created away from japan can be called anime? That's like refusing to call a duck a duck because it comes from some place out of town.

That said, my list is:

• Vampire Hunter D
  • Noein: Your Other Self
  • Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventures
  • S-Cry-Ed
  • RahXephon
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion (Rebuild)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: 0083 Stardust Memory
  • Hellsing Ultimate
  • Diebuster
  • B Gata H Kei

Well, in its original use in the Japanese, anime is just shorthand of animation. In that sense any animated work is anime.

As the term is used in the west, I suppose opinions will vary, but no, I believe most would agree that where it was produced does in fact matter for what is classified as "anime". The term exists in its western sense to describe animated works from Japan. That's more what it is. Western animation has for years now taken stylistic cues from anime, but even when it's incredibly apparent I'm not sure it should be classified as anime, just as when anime in Japan start taking heavy cues from western animation it doesn't stop being anime. Watching The Legend of Korra (I've not seen Last Airbender, but I assume its similar to its successor in most regards) it really has a completely different feel to me compared to anime, even when in similar genres anyway.

I watch Fairy Tail, Sword Art Online and some Deadman Wonderland. Only problem with Fairy Tail is I only have like the first 5 collectios, which is, what? 4 disks with 6 episodes? I think, so it means I have to wait for the DVD's.

Now that I've had my computer for a while now, I've caught up with the current anime season. I've been watching Kill la Kill, Witch Craft Works, Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda, Nisekoi, Nobunagun, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Ren, and Sakura Trick.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently finished watching both seasons of K-ON! and currently watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Anymore like these two shows?

Two of my favorites, for sure. K-On! is a ton of fun and Madoka is my favorite anime of all time.

Practically everything I was watching just ended. Looking forward to checking out lots of brand new anime toward the end of this week though. :)

Yui-Chan! Azunyan!

Anyway, almost done with Madoka (Lotsa free time).

I'll be scraping off where I left off with Zeta Gundam then go on from there, then hunt for anymore similar to what I mentioned. It's a nice change of pace from what I usually watch.

Hehe. Mugi-chan was my favorite. <3

If you're looking for similar to K-On!, there are a good number of series in that vein of cute, slice of life school comedy. I'd recommend Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, Yuyushiki, Kiniro Mosaic, Non Non Biyori or Love lab, to name what comes to me right away. Possibly Nichijou or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei if you want something vaguely similar in concept but with a more offbeat sense of humor. Or if you want to take it in the route of less humor and more other stuff, there are some things like Sora no Woto or Girls und Panzer which have a K-On! like vibe in somewhat different genres.

If you want something like Madoka, that might be harder to find though. I haven't seen too many shows with all of those disparate elements present. Genei wo Takeru Taiyou is probably the closest in composition given it's another magical girl series that incorporates dark, mature elements. Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya also is magical girl and has awesome action and eye catching production, but it's much more earnest and light in tone. If the genre itself isn't what is important though, the writer of Madoka explores similar themes in the other anime he's written, Suisei no Gargantia, Fate/Zero and Psycho Pass, all of which are good though from entirely different genres.

I've seen Girls und Panzer awhile back. Fun show. In fact, whenever I play the War Thunder ground forces beta, I'm always mentally poked to attempt a proper drift with a PanzerVI.

Thank's for the recommendations anyway :) . I'll start my hunt tomorrow now that I've finished Madoka (Yeah, trying to ignore life right now).

~Nyan. :kyubey:

I'm actually watching what so far has been a (fantasy) slice-of-life series and am enjoying it (odd for me) called Karin (interesting anime about a "reverse vampire" who has to bite people and GIVE them blood isntead of taking it)

I'm actually kind of dividing my anime attention between two different series. A buddy of mine recently got me hooked on Log Horizon, so I've been making my way through that at roughly two or three episodes a day since Sunday. This did also happen a little bit AFTER I decided to go ahead and get caught up on the classic Sailor Moon anime, since I've never actually watched it and the reboot coming out has me curious.

• 1 month later...

I've had a fine run since I last posted. Recently mopped up Gundam Build Fighters before Easter, cleaned house with Rozen Maiden, Madoka Magica Rebellion (Delivered as expecteed), K-ON! Movie (More tea less song, still awesome), and recently finished up Hidamari Sketch.

Currently watching Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, waiting on No Game No Life subs, and waiting on 7th episode of Gundam Unicorn.

This season I'm watching Akuma no Riddle, Blade and Soul, No Game No Life, Selector Infected Wixoss, Soul Eater Not! and Hitsugi no Chaika.

Archived