[Canterlot Castle] Awards Banquet - Day 1 [Open:See OOC]

starswirlthebearded

Dunder's heart skipped a beat when he felt the familiar lips of Fire on his cheek. After his fighting and injuries, even though they were light, mental and physical stress wasn't needed. He tried to push it off... Squall, Fire. Ironically, seemed like he only had Blueblood left. And no matter what the other ponies thought, Blueblood had tried his best in the Unyasi, and had at least stepped out of his royal comfort-zone. After months of surviving together, the pegasus could sympathize with the unicorn stallion and at least bare his company.

The pegasus sighed, glancing over at Fire and Squall, another rush of sadness overtook him for a moment, long enough before he got his hoof over to the menu to look through it. He took a seat next to Blueblood and glanced through, back and forth, he knew all the plates, and how to prepare most... The pegasus looked over at Blueblood, "Hey! What are you getting? I'm thinking something hefty to fill myself up on, I'm pretty hungry after eating hospital food. Though, actually, enough ponies were in the hospital that they got fresh food from the outside." He chuckled, then cleared his throat, seriousing up for a repeat, "So yeah, what are you getting?"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blueblood couldn't say that he was privvy to Dunder's history with mares, but the series of expressions on the pegasus stallion's face was enough to indicate that one was there. Not a happy one, the Prince would bet. He leaned in close to whisper, "Word of advice; the less you involve yourself with that sort of thing, the better off you are. You're lucky, at least; they won't swarm you if you don't want them to." And that was indicative of the unicorn's own history.

From love, the topic naturally turned to food. "I'm having the vegetables, hummus, and watermelon salad. I prefer fresh and simple foods. I'll suffer through dinner at the Savoy, but I'd rather spend money on good ingredients than fancy cooking." That might have been a bit insensitive, given that he was speaking to a chef, but no one would accuse Blueblood of being an over-sensitive type.

["Moto...?" Squall said when his sweetheart suddenly appeared. Really, when she became sneaky like that? Oh, right...she mentioned that she was in great form right now, her uniform only highlighted that. Excellent...in more then one....No! No time for such thoughts.

"I assure you Swift, there are things being done. Mostly things I am not privy to, mostly due to them being of a magic nature, but I know Princess Celestia is not treating the Changeling's invasion lightly.", she slowly made her way towards the noble-pony as she spoke, "I seriously doubt I would have stayed in the R.E.A. if she took this lightly. Those monsters attacked by father and sister. While I wish to see those dreaded monsters rounded up and banished to the furthest corner of Tartarus, I have a feeling our beloved Princess knows more of these creatures than we know."

"Yes....I know it just...." Squall paused, trying to find the right words. "Fire...I am not the pony who can just sit on his rump. I suppose I always need to face some foe - in one form or another - to wrestle, for a peace of mind. Whatever it's some thugs or faulty roads or some super villain. But so far every one was straightforward - outsmart or deck it out....But those cockroaches...are different. Elusive. Cunning. You don't even know where to begin." he whispered, and in his voice was heard so rare for him tone of helplessness. "I know that...Princess have some kind of plan...probably. And better that she kept it secret....They can have eyes and ears when we don't expect them too.

But I can't just stand aside. They hurt me. They hurt children. They hurt your family. The hurt You. Call it a grudge, but I want to have a part in making their lives harder....even if it would by a small one." Swift's words got sharper, and the dangerous glint could be seen in his eyes.

"I know in my heart when she decides what to do with these Changelings, it will be for the best, but for now, could we get back inside? It's starting to get a little chilly outside and I'm also a little on the peckish side, but I'm not going back without you.", she held out her front right hoof.

"Well...for starters I would try fly-traps." unicorn wisecracked in a deadpan tone, but his expression softened when Moto mentioned both cold and hunger. He returned the nuzzle and covered her in the flap of his white trench coat.

"I am sorry. You so often wore your armor that I tend to forgot that cold can bother you."

Squall followed mare's proposition and they returned inside. But as they made way towards their table, they accidentally bumped into one of the waiters. Squall was so focused on warming and walking close to Fire, that he didn't noticed the staffpony.

Thankfully, this waiter managed to regain balance - only spilling some champagne...but not the next one.

This waiter, was pushing trolley on which rested...no reigned, big monstrous gargantuan CAKE.

The cake so HUGE that it seemed that its creator wanted it to rival the towers of Canterlot Castle. And it was served on trolley. By the pony.

And this pony slipped on the spilled beverage. Squall watched in horror as the waiter tried to catch the balance by leaning on the cart....which of course was futile and instead, it sent the trolley speeding forward. Toward the table at which Lyra and Derpy was sitting an talking to be precise.

Noblepony rushed forward to catch the dessert that was on collision curse with two chatting - and unaware - mares. Time seemed to slow down, as Squall galloped to prevented catastrophe.

"I make it. I make it. I make it. ImakeitImkeit." he kept saying in his mind.

With a heroic leap, Swift managed to outran the sinister cake and place himself between its victims!

"Wait....why I won't catch it with telekinesis? It's not big deal. I mean, it would nullify a kinetic force. Yeah, I do just that and..."

His thoughts was interrupted when trolley hit him at full speed. And despite Squall dramatic attempts, a sweet contents of dessert fell over now not only at both mares, as they supposed too, but a stallion as well.

Three ponies got coated in cake, cream and caramel sauce so completly that only their eyes were seen. In case of the Lyra and Derpy they were blinking in surprise, Swift's were squinting in annoyance instead.

"....Sometimes life can be bitter." Squall shaped silhouette sighted. A second later a licking sound was heard.

".....Or not. Its toffee and vanilla." he judged. Sometimes even he could see 'bright' sides of the situation.

Other waiter eyed the scene with an open jaw. So surprised was that unicorn, that he didn't noticed that one of the curtains caught fire from the Burning Creme Brulee that he was carrying.

As Haywire sat next to Shadowe, the rust colored filly witnessed the fall of the huge cake from a distance. This event caused the blank flank in the fancy dress to burst out laughing, laughing so hard, she fell out of her chair onto the floor.

"HA HA HA! That thar's the funniest thing I ever did see! Lookie at all that cake on the floor and..."

Instantly, Haywire got an idea. She had been on her best behavior all night, even relinquished all her firecracker rockets for this formal dinner party. But seeing THIS, this was one opportunity she couldn't pass by.

"Pardin me, Shadowe, but I'm gonna go fer some cake!" Haywire neighed as she galloped off towards the fallen cake. Leaping up on a table to get a better 'angle' for landing, the fast moving filly took one giant leap off the table.... and into the fallen cake!

"GERONIMO!" She neighed moments before impact, sending up a plume of cake, frosting and creme upwards before her head poked out, chewing on the huge bite of cake she had just taken. She knew she'd probably get in trouble for this, but the cake was already fallen to the floor anyway, and now she could brag about being the first filly to dive head first into a cake at a royal function!

“Personally,” Derpy Hooves added; “I wouldn’t be able to get into that feeding on love thing. What happens if a changeling can’t find love? Could they survive by living on normal food?” All these thoughts about changelings made the pegasus think about someone else; “Hmmm… I wonder how that one changeling we locked up is doing? You think they let him knit in the dungeons?”

"Hehe. That's a good question," Lyra started with a nod. Their group, the group at Fluttershy's place had actually gone and captured a changeling leader. Lyra had shut the cage herself. She was proud of herself, though it did beg the question of how that changeling was doing. "Hmm, maybe Princess Tia would know how our changeling's doing? We should ask her later!"

"As for food, I dunno. I never really thought about it..." Lyra started, looking up for a moment. She didn't really know much of anything about changelings. "They do have mouths and teeth and stuff. Maybe they can eat normal food too?" She paused a moment before smiling and nodding."Either way, if I was a changeling I wouldn't have to worry about the love part. I got more than enough love to keep me happy!" she cheerfully added.

“WHO-HOO, WE ROCK!!!”

Derpy blurted out a cheer at the end of some words from Celestia. Lyra could really get behind the sentiment here. She raised a hoof herself and joined in. "That's right! Team Ponyville is the best~!" she called out loudly a smile on her face.

Then some stuff happened. Lyra wasn't sure why, but in the next moment she was covered in cake. Lots and lots of cake. She instinctively looked beside her, but no... Derpy was not at fault. She was covered in cake and seemed at a loss as well. Lyra licked the cake off of her own face. It was really good. Her eyes focused in on the stallion who seemed to have caused the mess. She tilted her head, not entirely sure what to say at first.

"So is this how cake is always served at royal banquets?" she asked, not so much angry as she was just amused.

2mcczdx.jpg

Derpy’s thoughts for that one changeling came to a sudden end, due to a big chunk of cake covering her entire face. Almost immediately, her first thought was that somepony initiated a surprise food fight; one of the very worst crimes against equinity possible. Even as she wiped frosting from her eyes, Miss Hooves vowed at first to retaliate with a declaration of war along with every bit of food on her plate she had.

To her dismay, the pegasus saw that the servants hadn’t gotten around to delivering her meal yet. Robbed of her ability to fight back, Derpy Hooves instead calmly commented on a peculiar aspect of the bits of cake covering her face. “Hmmm,” she sniffed the air; ”This cake has an unexpected smokey smell to it. I wonder how the chefs pulled that off?” Meanwhile, right behind the oblivious mare, the curtain that caught fire erupted into a spectacular mess of flames.....

It. Just. Was. Not. Fair! Ever since the Grand Galloping Gala Incident, it seemed that every single social function the Prince saw fit to grace was fated to go off the rails into some sort of fiasco. It wasn't even his fault this time! No bad behavior, no rudeness to mares of any kind, just BAM! Cake in the face. Cake all over, in fact.

Blueblood just sat frozen for a few seconds, stiff and trembling at the sudden shock and subsequently-triggered flashbacks. Slowly, he reached a semi-clean hoof to wipe the frosting off his eyes, plying them open from under the layer of sugar. He blinked blearily around him. It seemed that he was on the edge of the 'splash radius,' as it were, and that no other guests, besides the three at the impact point, had been significantly caked... except for that filly who was diving into the mess. He snorted, muttering, "Uncultured rube..." under his breath. Well, what else was he supposed to think?

The next thing he saw, or rather, smelled, caused him to raise his voice. "Fire?" He sniffed again, pinpointing the source at the flaming curtains. "FIRE! FIRE! EVERYPONY OUT!" From irritation to panic in under 2 seconds, it had to be a record. In any case, his only concern was to get out, and he began to shove Dunder forward, since he was closer to the exit. "Get a move on! Evacuate the room!"

m9t4.jpg

“I’m starting to feel a bit torn the more I think of our situation.”, Fire Walker glanced into the stallion’s eyes, “My first reaction is to want to round this creatures up and throw them into the deepest and darkest dungeon, but we both know that would be the end of them all considering how they feed.”, the mare added rather grimly, “We need to learn more about these Changelings. Figure out why they are they way they are and maybe if there’s some way we can help them. During the first attack I heard stories and rumors stating that they were creatures built upon a hive-mind and had no wills of their own. This was disproven after the last attack. They do have wills of their own, along with fears, desires, just like the rest of us. The more we know, the better we will in dealing with them.”

After taking his hoof, the mare lead Swift Squall back into the hall. She looked forward to the nice meal and the speech her most beloved Princess Celestia would give. She let out a yelp the moment the oversized cake was jostled from its trolley. The stallion was quicker on his hooves than she, but the cake still managed to fall rather predictably onto a pair of attendees. Fire Walker had seen the walleyed Pegasus pony before while hanging around Ponyville and felt simply horrible as she and another were covered in gooey cake.

The mare walked over and licked some of the extra frosting from the stallion’s cheek, “Not bad. Was never a fan of toffee. Can never figure out why they never just make these party cakes with the yellow mix. All ponies love yellow cake.", she took another lick before noticing the fire, "Oh come on.", she growled before she scurried off to find an fire extinguisher.

The white unicorn had whispered something, possibly the kindest thing he had said to the pegasus ever. Though, Dunder shrugged off the words, the unicorn didn't know what was going on and probably never would. Dundr just wished he could move on, he sighed and lifted his head up, looking forward. He cleared his throat, "You know, maybe it's better that I am yet to rid myself of sadness. Whilst fighting the changelings, I felt invigorated and didn't fear injury. Charging a changeling officer and his retinue of elite soldiers armed only with my hooves after a night filled to the brim of fighting... I felt red of fear and sadness, I only felt only my heart's beat and my blood run through my veins." Dunder shrugged, "Eh... Sorry, so yeah...watermellon..." Dunder trailed off and then suddenly was hit on the side of the face with cake.

the pegasus wiped it off and examined the frosting, he licked it. "Hmm...vanilla, sugary, but that's more of a personal preference...." He looked over to examine the wreckage of the once great cake. And then the little filly having fun while jumping around in what was left of the cake. He smiled, the little filly reminded him of his own sister... and then he heard Blueblood's remark. His happiness shifting to instant fury, what of this entitled stallion give him the right to judge?! Dunder was about to give his friend a lesson on how to treat others but then the unicorn turned to see fire. Fearing the worse, Dunder looked at the burning curtain too... "Oh...come -"

He was again cut off by the unicorn pushing and shoving at Dunder to leave. This was met with Dunder using one foreleg to shove the pony back with surprising force. Dunder's punches could dent military grade armor plates, and all that force was channeled into Blueblood's broad chest. "Quiet, knave! Have you forgotten your protector? Stay here, you know not what to do and are not accustomed to facing danger!" Dunder spat at the unicorn, He took off in flight, "And stay here unless something bad happens." He commanded as he flew off for the curtain.

The pegasus halted above the fire on the curtains. Unfortunately for him, heat rose up. Unfortunately for the fire, Dunder had the blood of desert-trotting ponies and therefor was not scared of a little heat. He grabbed the curtain above the advancing fire and reached for his dagger...which wasn't there. He felt his belly and his back, under his light pink suit jacket and there was no dagger to be found. Nothing to cut with... He started to bite at the curtain, trying his hardest to cut the curtain to choke the fire of fuel. The flames nipping at his shirt.

Zecoralux_zps9639adbb.png

Zecora took her place at the head table taking in the sights. There were someponies that she recognized as those that fought with her against Queen Chrysalis, while there were a few that were new at least to her. She looked over the menu, eying the different options. There were so many choices that the zebra saw that she had trouble deciding what she wanted as they all sounded delicious.

"All these options sound really good, but which one should I choose for food?"

Before she could choose a filly suddenly dove at the cake, sending a wave of frosting at the head table, some of which hit the zebra with surprise. She licked off the frosting around her mouth.

"I really do love this cake, but maybe a better way to enjoy it you should make," the zebra said to the red filly.

Her nose then caught another scent, not of the cake but of smoke! She turned in time to see that one of the curtains had caught fire and the ponies were making a beeline for the door while one pony was trying to stamp out the flames. Without giving it a second thought, Zecora took the pitcher of water on the table for the guests sitting and tossed it at the flames, hoping that she got all of them extinguished.

"Thank you Princess Celestia but if I may," Zecora said recognizing the compliments of the ponies, "All of the ponies helped save the town on that day. I happened to be there at the right hour, and felt the need to defend the town with all my power."

The zebra responded to the princess's praise rather graciously, which made Celestia rather pleased. True hero's didn't care about fanfare or glory, but rather did what needed to be done. "This is quite so Zecora, which is why I am having a banquet to celebrate everypony and their actions," Celestia began, "And though you make your accomplishments seem like an act of opportunity, you were able to take charge and do what was needed to help many more than just yourself. That alone would make your actions great that day." Celestia nodded as Zecora allowed the REA mare to sit by her.

Then something rather unexpected happened, several unexpected things. While conversing with Zecora, Swift Squall whom had previously gone out after Celestia had finished talking to him about the state of Equestrian security, had bumped into a waiter, which in turn, made the waiter spill champagne, which made the cake purveyor slip and the entire toffee vanilla cake topple over covering several ponies in cake. The incident made one of the waitstaff whom was heating the Creme Brulee for the dessert table for after the main course and set fire to one of the curtains. Sufficed to say this reminded Celestia of the chaos at the Grand Galloping Gala. However unlike that time she was there to manage the situation.

"FIRE! FIRE! EVERYPONY OUT!" From irritation to panic in under 2 seconds, it had to be a record. In any case, his only concern was to get out, and he began to shove Dunder forward, since he was closer to the exit. "Get a move on! Evacuate the room!"

And there it was... Barely anything had happened and already Blueblood was making a scene and trying to rush out. Celestia signaled for the guards to make sure everypony stayed calm and would be able to direct traffic if necessary in the case of an evacuation. However the fire was small and Celestia saw no need to panic over such trifles. She instructed one of the two guards whom were at her table for protection detail to grab the fire extinguisher. Quickly he went off. Celestia cleared her throat and spoke loudly at Blueblood in a commanding, authoritative tone "Prince Blueblood! Calm yourself. You should not panic over such small matters! Now return to your seat and be at ease!" Celestia commanded her nephew as she used her magic to remove the flaming curtain from the rod removing it from the grip pegasus whom was trying valiantly to stop the fire and encase it in a barrier to prevent it from spreading, though some had already been put out by her honoured guest Zecora. Seconds later the Royal Guard rushed back with the extinguisher in tow. "I have returned Princess with the extinguisher as ordered," the guard said with a bow to Celestia. "Good," as Celestia lowered the curtain to ground level. "Now use the extinguisher to put out the fire as I release it from the barrier," Celestia commanded the Guard Pony, whom used the extinguisher with his magic to extinguish the fire as Celestia released it from it's magical barrier. "Thank you for your assistance, now gather the castle housekeeping crew, and let them know we need a new drapery for the main banquet hall and for them to clean up come cake." She sent off the guard once again.

With the fire extinguished she was able to now focus on the more humerous problem of the cake, and the four ponies now covered in it. Celestia cantered over to the delicious mess that was laid across the tables and floors of the banquet hall, somewhat amused by the scene but trying to maintain her composure. She overheard a question posed by a pale green mare...

"So is this how cake is always served at royal banquets?"

Celestia smirked at the question. Using her magic to remove some of the cake from the two mares and tasting it. She licked her lips and smiled when she answered "Of all the royal banquets I've thrown, I must say this is a first... Though I do recall hearing about a cake flying through the air at the Grand Galloping Gala..." Celestia playfully responded to the mare's question. "Fear not though I've sent for the housekeeping crew to clean it up." Celestia lowered her head to whisper "But it is really good cake so feel free to have some more before they come." Celestia straightened up once again and said to the cake covered group which consisted of a little red filly, two mares and the stallion from before, Swift Squall, "You all are of course free to use the wash room before the festivities continue. The mares and filly can use the one down the forward right hall and to the left, and Swift Squall, please feel free to use the one in the rear left hall. If you need help finding it, I'm sure a guard may assist you." Celestia offered her guests a place to clean up after this... tasty accident. Luckily that was not the only cake being served.

The initial shame that Prince Blueblood felt at Dunder's rebuke was blunted, if not neutralized entirely, by the manner in which the Pegasus approached the problem of the fire. To wit, he charged at it with no preparation, and managed to set his own clothes on fire. "What do you think you're doing? Get down here!" The unicorn yanked the pegasus down from the curtains with his own magic, pouring his glass of water over the small flames on Dunder's shirt. If the aim was to make Blueblood ashamed of his panic and cowardice, it didn't exactly work.

In fact, by the time that his aunt's own rebuke reached him, any shame he had was already mixed with resentment. *Well, excu-u-u-use me, Princess, if every safety drill ever run in this castle emphasized evacuation in case of fire. What do you want me to do, be some kind of 'hero' like the flame-feathered pegasus who's flanks I had to save from being roasted?* He had, of course, more than enough sense to never actually say this out loud, but it put him into a visible sulk. Celestia referring to 'the cake incident' from the Grand Galloping Gala two years previous didn't help at all.

He sat back down at his seat, in no kind of mood to talk to anypony at all.

"So is this how cake is always served at royal banquets?" she asked, not so much angry as she was just amused. [/bg]

Celestia smirked at the question. Using her magic to remove some of the cake from the two mares and tasting it. She licked her lips and smiled when she answered "Of all the royal banquets I've thrown, I must say this is a first... Though I do recall hearing about a cake flying through the air at the Grand Galloping Gala..."

"....And I started to think that happens every other Thursday" Squall spoke withe a deadpan tone, but his eyes were smiling. The smile however turned into a blush, when Fire give him a lick....

The mare walked over and licked some of the extra frosting from the stallion’s cheek, “Not bad. Was never a fan of toffee. Can never figure out why they never just make these party cakes with the yellow mix. All ponies love yellow cake."

"Uhhh...Moto...other ponies....are...watching." he mumbled, but mare opted to taste some more of the sweetness that was covering him.

"Yes...All ponies love cake. But don't love it to much, I could get jealous. And as you often mention, I like when you can balance a bit on your stomach....What's that smell?" unicorn asked noticed that something isn't right. He turned around to see that one of the curtains was on it's way to become all charred and crispy.

"Somehow I am totally not surprised." noblepony thrown even more snark, even if everypony in the room wasn't exactly in the mood to hear him. Fire shoot out of the room to find fire extinguisher. Most guests started to get really carried away with the fire too. Well, Squall could only partially understand that. After all there was Princess Celestia in the room - one of best magic users alive - so stallion didn't saw much problem with some embers. He himself had a sword duel in the middle of burning savanna once so one burning curtain wasn't a big deal.

He was again cut off by the unicorn pushing and shoving at Dunder to leave. This was met with Dunder using one foreleg to shove the pony back with surprising force. Dunder's punches could dent military grade armor plates, and all that force was channeled into Blueblood's broad chest. "Quiet, knave! Have you forgotten your protector? Stay here, you know not what to do and are not accustomed to facing danger!" Dunder spat at the unicorn, He took off in flight, "And stay here unless something bad happens." He commanded as he flew off for the curtain.

And there it was... Barely anything had happened and already Blueblood was making a scene and trying to rush out. Celestia signaled for the guards to make sure everypony stayed calm and would be able to direct traffic if necessary in the case of an evacuation. However the fire was small and Celestia saw no need to panic over such trifles. She instructed one of the two guards whom were at her table for protection detail to grab the fire extinguisher. Quickly he went off. Celestia cleared her throat and spoke loudly at Blueblood in a commanding, authoritative tone "Prince Blueblood! Calm yourself. You should not panic over such small matters! Now return to your seat and be at ease!" Celestia commanded her nephew as she used her magic to remove the flaming curtain from the rod removing it from the grip pegasus whom was trying valiantly to stop the fire and encase it in a barrier to prevent it from spreading, though some had already been put out by her honoured guest Zecora.

WHAT WAS WITH ALL THIS HATE ON THE PRINCE? Seriously, Squall himself was quite heavily biased against Blueblood but so far he proved to be quite alright pony. More so even - it was clear that he was quite envious of others here, but alas he was tactful enough not to say it outright. He sounded a little bitter, but who wouldn't after what he came through in the Ponyville and being feed with reproofs again and again?

"You all are of course free to use the wash room before the festivities continue. The mares and filly can use the one down the forward right hall and to the left, and Swift Squall, please feel free to use the one in the rear left hall. If you need help finding it, I'm sure a guard may assist you." Celestia offered her guests a place to clean up after this... tasty accident. Luckily that was not the only cake being served.

"Don't mind if I do Princess. But one thing before I turn myself less saccharine..." he said before giving a quick glance towards Blueblood. And he started talking. Lound enough for everypony to hear.

"I came here believing that it was a celebration for 'A Job Well Done Everypony!'. Not that I believe I deserve to be here but that's beside the point. To pat each other back, say that we hoofed those parasite their rumps. Well somepony getting exact opposite so far." Squall started. It was clear that orange unicorn was very irked.

"Now maybe Good Prince panicked a little. Got scared. Well fine, hooves up who never felt scared. Nopony? Not surprised. Maybe because it's just natural to fear. Not eyerypony got nerves of steel." Swift spoke. Now Blueblood was an adult and he clearly didn't needed some champion who would stand for his honor, but swordstallion wasn't allowing for that verbal garbaged to fly around any longer. He pointed his hoof at Blueblood before continuing.

"And speaking of unnatural....Now I wasn't there at that Night at Good Prince side during that night but I heard some rumors already. About Princess Twilight copycat, a trap masked as Scary House and oh, terror spells so strong that almost turned minds of ponies there inside out!" Squall continued, hissing the last words.

"Well that was what I heard. Now what I saw during that night. I remember Prince back then, helping out while I and few others were trotting around like chickens and trying to snuff some cockroaches that could still be there. He looked badly...like all of us if not more so. I also didn't remember him jumping into first chariot heading towards Canterlot, why he would be completely justified in doing so. Actually Prince took one of the last ones, crazy isn't it? Otherponies from library were still laying on the ground and sobbing, and he was helping? He must have cheated." swordstallion added in really sarcastic and falsely-indignant tone.

"Blueblood here deserves at least a 'Good job' or something for Harmony sake! Instead I saw most ponies selling him some verbal rotten apples, even those who should be friendly to him due to past experiences." Squall made a pause, both to let what he told to sink in for some ponies and to catch his breath . "I admit, I myself was pretty badly biased. But you know what everpony? Nopony perfect. And nopony deserves such biases and junk. Nopony who doesn't have heart black as coal that is. And especially not today. Now excuse me. I will take Princess offer and wash myself from that cake.....and something else. Low flying rotten apples I assume." Swift said before walking towards direction pointed by Celestia earlier.

Listening to the speech from Princess Celestia, Haywire emerged from the pile of cake on the floor. Slowly climbing out and away from the mess, the blank flank filly shook herself hard like a dog, inadvertently flinging bits of cake and frosting in all directions off her fancy dress.

"Reckon I should go clean mahself up," Haywire admitted as she began to walk away from the banquet hall, "I'll be right back!"

The blonde filly galloped into the Ladies Room and quickly cleaned herself and her dress the best she could. Then she galloped back into the room and then stood in front of the Princess.

"Thank ya, Princess Celestia, this has been the funnest dinner I've ever been ta! Oh, and by the way, the cake was delicious!"

Haywire returned to her table, just as the main course arrived.

"YAY! I ain't missed it! I'm as hungry as a horse!"

EjczhWO.jpg

"Yes Silverheart you certainly may sit with me on this day. Although we will have some dining to do, I would very much like to know more about you."

"Thank you, Miss Zecora. I look forward to getting to know you better as well." Said the REA unicorn before pulling out and taking his seat,"I saw the Everfree Forest fire from Ponyville... I hope you're house wasn't damaged." Silver had indeed read most of the reports on nightmare night but most of the info was based around the changelings and the consequences of their invasion on Ponyville, and seeing as the Everfree forest wasn't a patrolled or heavily monitored area there wasn't much info that he could gather on the state of the forest and what lied within.

The stallion didn't have to think hard about what he would order for tonight, A simple and light salad would work. For now he was more focused on some more casual chatting with the guests. Before he could however it seemed that things took a turn for the chaotic. Somepony had caused a chain of events that resulted in a cake falling over and some frosting and the remnants of the cake hit some of the attendees; silver included. The Marish stallion gave one of those looks that could only be described as thoroughly unimpressed and severely annoyed. This visage was entirely obscured though by the thick layer of frosting and cake that now engulfed his face.

The stallion sighed and began cleaning himself off of the frosting so he could at least allow himself to see. With his temporary cake induced blindness he had managed to miss out on most of the Fire incident and all the hijinks that followed. Thanks to the Princess everything seemed alright for the moment. Still wiping some cake off his face, Silver looked to Zecora,"uh... What did I just miss?"

As the prince next to her tried saving the heroic Pegasus, Celestia calmly directed a guard to extinguish the flames while she removed from the rail the drapery. The Zebra was not frightened by the fire, only if it accelerated beyond her control. With the flames extinguished and the cake being cleaned, Zecora settled back into enjoying herself.

"This is quite so Zecora, which is why I am having a banquet to celebrate everypony and their actions," Celestia began, "And though you make your accomplishments seem like an act of opportunity, you were able to take charge and do what was needed to help many more than just yourself. That alone would make your actions great that day."

Zecora nodded with Celestia's recognition, feeling better that her she could be free to celebrate her accomplishments without fear of it seeming like pride.

"Your words are truly worth more than any wealth. Admittedly I do not like to draw attention to myself. But seeing as what you said made me feel great, then I am happy to celebrate."

As she found her seat next to the REA pony, she heard a rousing speech by a pony who appeared upset over how Prince Blueblood was being treated among other ponies. Having not the opportunity to meet this pony before, Zecora decided to meet the stallion.

"Forgive me for my saying, but I feel you attention needs paying," she said to the white unicorn, "It seems as though to other you want to show yourself, to make your talents and good qualities shine like trophies on a shelf. But if this is true then I will tell something I learned that may help you. What ever we do, so as long as it is good and true it will one day return back to you."

Zecora then turned towards the pony who so graciously asked to sit by her. The zebra at first thought that this pony was a mare by appearance only, but as the guard spoke, she could tell it was a stallion she spoke to.

"Thank you for your kind concern. My house thankfully did not burn. The forest still has scars of the battle scene, but hopefully now the healing can begin? Although you do seem ok from what I can tell, did you survive the battle well?"

To say that Swift Squall's little speech in his defense caught Prince Blueblood by surprise would be true, but inadequate. There were so many reasons why the unicorn wouldn't expect anypony to give a speech, and especially for Swift to give it, that the very fact that he did brought him up short and stiff, as if somepony had poured a bucket of cold water over him.

In the first place, it was depressingly true that nopony had really spoken publicly in his defense. The best his aunt would ever say about him was that he was redeemable, but she had never denied in his hearing that anything negative said about him was untrue. Which tied into the second reason that it was surprising: for the second time today, that green unicorn had stood up and publicly called out Princess Celestia herself!

He was left staring as Swift departed to clean himself, and all that Blueblood could say was, "Huh." In that moment, Zecora, the hero singled out for the high table, came down to speak to him. The zebra really had nothing new to say to him that his aunt hadn't said before, but he raised a glass in salute to her. "Well, we'll see."

He returned to being deep in thought, though his sulk was quite dissipated by now. Icing still clung to his mane, but he didn't notice that quite yet.

qwkf.gif

“Oh. Sorry.”, Fire Walker slowly pulled away from the stallion, “Just hate to see cake go to waste, especially when it’s served on such a handsome plate.", she added before she disappeared into one of the side rooms for help. The R.E.A guard came back moments later holding one of the spare fire extinguishers from its strap, but by then, both the drama and the fire was long taken care of. With a grumble and a grunt, she turned right back around and returned the extinguisher to its proper spot before taking a trip back to her seat. While she moved back and forth the mare did overhear all the fussing that was going on in the main room. While she did not care to see her favorite Prince getting frowned upon, she knew he sometimes deserved a little poking or prodding from time to time, and she knew that sometimes panic could be just as harmful, if not even more so when a fire breaks out. But she would not mention that, but instead.

"Yes, I do recall seeing the good Prince out in the dark and in the mud taking a good deal of his time making sure everypony was alright. He didn't have to. He could have hopped on his carriage and got back to Canterlot, but he didn't.", the mare added, 'We might want to go over a proper fire safety film strip one of these days, but beyond that, I can only think of good things when I think of Prince Blueblood. I'd also doubt he would have been invited here if he wasn't an honest to goodness hero like many here.", as she made her way back to her table, Fire Walker made sure to snatch a napkin from one of the empty tables and relieve Prince Blueblood of the slight icing from his mane before taking her seat.

WHY? Every time I need a weapon, I never have it on me! Dunder thought after backing off from the fire and letting the better quipped ponies take care of it. Nightmare night, he had only his hooves and teeth and he ended up getting a couple bones broken and some nasty bruises. And here, he had nothing other than his teeth and hooves and he ends up looking like a.... dunder-head.

Then suddenly he was yanked to the floor. He hated to admit it, but Blueblood was surprisingly strong. Especially after getting splashed on the chest at the hooves of the unicorn, Dunder was having enough, "Hey! Come on! I've put up with fire way hotter than that one..." He protested, but then Swift did another monologue, and then the zebra joined in, and then Fire did too.... By then his anger was dissolved. All he could do was shamble back up to feet, shuffle to the table, take a seat at the table next to Blueblood and pretend like nothing happened. "So... The watermellon salad. See, I want something to fill me up, since I also don't want to have to eat after we leave here." The pegasus casually said to Blueblood.

• 2 weeks later...

Haywire's ears perked up when she heard two words that filled her with joy.

"WATERMELON SALAD! I LOVE WATERMELON SALAD!" the blank flank filly shouted as she rushed up to the table where the object of her desire was placed. "I'm gonna grab me up some!"

The blonde filly soon pick up a bowl, filled it with as much watermelon salad as it could hold and then balanced on her back. Walking carefully back to her table, she then sat the bowl on it and devoured the entire salad in a matter of seconds. Although she was taught better than to display bad table manners, Haywire didn't really care at the moment because she so craved watermelon salad. After she finished, she involuntarily gave out a loud, nearly window shaking burp.

"Oops! Pardon me, y'all," she muttered, looking a little embarrassed.

"Of all the royal banquets I've thrown, I must say this is a first... Though I do recall hearing about a cake flying through the air at the Grand Galloping Gala...Fear not though I've sent for the housekeeping crew to clean it up. But it is really good cake so feel free to have some more before they come. You all are of course free to use the wash room before the festivities continue. The mares and filly can use the one down the forward right hall and to the left, and Swift Squall, please feel free to use the one in the rear left hall. If you need help finding it, I'm sure a guard may assist you."

Lyra looked up from the cake mess to find that none other than Princess Celestia was there replying to her, even going so far as to eat some of the cake off of her! Score one for the even expanding unexpected adventure file of Lyra Heartstrings! This would be one to tell Bonnie when she got back, for sure. Or would it? Maybe princess eating cake off of her would just make Bonnie jealous? She wasn't sure, either way she had to say it was a pretty cool thing to have a common memory with the most important pony in the world. She was so focused on the princess and the cake and stuff that she didn't even notice the fire or any of the other things so much.

"Ha!" she started as she stood up and draped a cake covered foreleg across the alicorn. "Don't you worry about it, Princess! Cakes are super unpredictable like that. They're often found flying every which way. No big. Just a thing that happens," she started as she shoved some of the cake into her own mouth.

"Far as I see it, nothing bad can come from being covered in cake anyway. Only thing better is being covered in chocolate," she said with a steady nod. "Y'know, that actually happens a lot back home.."

She gave a wide grin and pat Celestia on the back before stepping back. "Pretty neat party you got here, by the way," she said, realizing this was the first time she had said anything to her host that evening. "Me and my ol' pal Derpy here have been enjoying it so far," she added, nodding toward the other cake coated mare.

It was... interesting, for Blueblood, seeing so many ponies rally to him. All right, maybe one or two, but that was still more than usual. It aroused mixed feelings in him. On the one hand, he felt on some level he was being pitied, and that is not an easy thing for a self-respecting stallion to bear. On the other hand, just having somepony to stand by you made the opinions of the world much easier to bear. Perhaps this was what everypony meant when talking about the magic of friendship?

He dealt with the ministrations of Fire Walker with as much dignity as one could muster, when a mare was cleaning one like a naughty foal. "Thank you." He said, after she had gotten the last of the icing off. He searched for something complimentary to say, feeling something was due for her statement in his favor. "I don't suppose it will be news to him, but you may tell Sir Squall he knows a good mare when he sees one." He turned away, muttering something about wishing he had half that sense.

As for Dunder, he was making a brave attempt to save face after his display. Blueblood knew all about that, and decided for the moment to lend him that courtesy, offering polite replies, and not in any way acknowledging what had gone before. It was the custom among his class to let the other pony stew in the knowledge of their faux pas, and the Prince had been in the soup often enough.

2mcczdx.jpg

"Pretty neat party you got here, by the way. Me and my ol' pal Derpy here have been enjoying it so far."

“Huh, what?” Derpy Hooves paid no heed to the chaos revolving around the burning curtain. Instead, she used the time wisely to lick every inch of cake off of her body. By the time she finished, the fire had already been put out by one of the castle guards. Just as she finished, Derpy heard Lyra call out her name while chatting with Princess Celestia, finally causing the pegasus to acknowledge her surroundings; “Oh yeah, really awesome party Celestia! Will they throw our dinner at us too?” Given what happened to the cake, such was a very logical conclusion for Derpy to make.

• 2 weeks later...

It didn't took long for Squall to clean yourself. Partially because he decided to not dry his mane at all, instead using the opportunity to slick it back. And if it looked little out of place? So did being covered by the cake and besides, Squall couldn't care less. His clothes were completely spotless, but then again they were enchanted. Some preparation always resulted in pay offs - in this case, smaller laundry bill.

Unicorn rose an eyebrow when he heard Derpy question. Was she...? Was she completely oblivious to the half the things that happened here? It appeared so, since her voice lacked any hint of sarcasm. Swift begun suspecting the she didn't even know what sarcasm was. And how in world she got clean if she stayed here the whole time?!

"...What a strange mare." he quietly muttered to himself as he passed them....

Only to find himself before a filly wolfing down food in such speed matter, that one would think she tries to beat World Record. The following burp ruffled his mane and trench coat as well as leaving stallion speechless for a seconds. Both because of speed at which the salad disappeared and the filly manners or rather lack of such. Then again she was the kid, it justified the last part somewhat.

"......I almost afraid to stay for the dessert." he thrown another snarky comment before finally making the way back to his table. Just in time to appear behind unsuspecting Blueblood and Dunder.

"So... The watermellon salad. See, I want something to fill me up, since I also don't want to have to eat after we leave here." The pegasus casually said to Blueblood.

"Then you should try cheese croquettes Blusty. They are filling, but only enough so to leave place for a dessert." Squall said from behind them "Although you maybe rather like Mexicolt variety of this dish. You are fond of this region cosine if I remember." unicorn recalled. Not only that but Dunder was very skilled in Mexicolt recipes too.

As he waled into their field of vision Swift could see on Prince's face, that his feelings were rather...mixed. Noblepony could sympathize - in the past he used to think in similar but not identical way. However Squall mostly threw his pride away, only letting it to affect unimportant decisions.

"Do not mistake my words for pity Prince. While it's true that I spoke in defense of your name, it was because of different principle then you suspect." swordstallion explained before fetching glass of his favorite pineapple juice.

"Your words are truly worth more than any wealth. Admittedly I do not like to draw attention to myself. But seeing as what you said made me feel great, then I am happy to celebrate."

Celestia smiled at Zecora's words. It was rather refreshing to see this zebra be as humble as she was. "Please, do celebrate to your heart's content. This day is for you and for everypony. You all helped keep Equestria safe." Celestia said to her honoured guest. She was so used to dealing with dignitaries and those ponies whom saw themselves as being superior to all others that it was rather refreshing to have a guest that was the opposite.

"Don't mind if I do Princess. But one thing before I turn myself less saccharine..."

"But of course..." Celestia replied as Swift gave a lengthy speech about Blueblood and his mistreatment. Before the princess could respond he went off to the washroom to clean up himself from the cake. What he said the princess already knew and that was not the reason for her lashing out at Blueblood. He has been in the castle enough to know that the guards lead everypony out in a safe and organized manner in the case of emergency, and that panic does nothing but cause injury. Had he followed procedure, Celestia would have said nothing at all, but that could wait until he returned.

"Don't you worry about it, Princess! Cakes are super unpredictable like that. They're often found flying every which way. No big. Just a thing that happens. Far as I see it, nothing bad can come from being covered in cake anyway. Only thing better is being covered in chocolate. Y'know, that actually happens a lot back home.."

Celestia giggled at the mare's words. She didn't even care that she was covered in cake. "I see" Celestia said still giggling. "I imagine you may be correct, it seems to be happening more and more often." Celestia said while playing along with the bubbly mare. When she brought up chocolate, having had many chocolate fountains before (and planning on having one brought out later) Celestia knew that chocolate hardened... "But, Miss..." Celestia started realizing she didn't know the mare's name yet, but still needing to continue. "Does not chocolate harden when it covers you? Though I suppose... if that does make you happy you may have a chance later to experience that." Celestia said with a knowing wink.

"Pretty neat party you got here, by the way. Me and my ol' pal Derpy here have been enjoying it so far."

"Thank you. I am glad you and your friend are enjoying yourselves." Celestia replied as Derpy chimed in.

“Oh yeah, really awesome party Celestia! Will they throw our dinner at us too?”

"No, I do not believe that is the plan. It should be set neatly in front of you," Celestia replied. "Please if either of you need anything just let someone know, whether it be myself or one of the guards or waitstaff." Celestia said with a smile as she cantered off to go talk to those whom were coming back.

"Thank ya, Princess Celestia, this has been the funnest dinner I've ever been ta! Oh, and by the way, the cake was delicious!"

"You are quite welcome Miss Haywire. I am glad you are enjoying yourself. And if you liked that cake, there should be another coming out, which I'm sure you will enjoy equally as much." Celestia smiled as she noticed Swift Squall's return. Celestia cantered over to him.

"Swift Squall, I appreciate your words before, and I assure you that is indeed the case. I believe though that you misunderstood my words to Blueblood. He failed to follow evacuation procedure which is initiated by the Royal Guard and designed to get every guest out safely." Princess Celestia began to explain to Swift. "He instead took charge and his actions could have caused panic and injury. A true leader, leads calmly, even in the face of fear. Please understand there was no ill will towards my nephew, and I would have done the same if anypony else had done the same." Celestia already had a speech planned for later in the evening which will hopefully be happening soon. "Had he followed procedure there would have been no harm, and nothing would have been said. All the same, I do hope you'll enjoy the speech I have planned Swift Squall for when dinner finishes being brought out." Celestia finished speaking to Squall. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to arrange for this to be cleaned up before we can continue."

Celestia cantered over to her table and signaled for some waitstaff to come over. "Please help clean up this cake. And feel free to eat some in the process, it would be a shame to let so much go to waste." After she said that some waitstaff, and even a couple of guards cantered over to the mess and began cleaning it up, some while taking short breaks to eat some of the delicious cake.

Archived