[Canterlot Castle] Awards Banquet - Day 2 [Open:See OOC]

starswirlthebearded

Having the little point of politics cleared up, Flying Brick was in a much more relaxed mood, and gave a regally worthy bow to Princess Celestia. "A grand thank you for your care and thoughts. I shall certainly never forget again!" Suddenly, from her bent position, she sprang into a backflip, front hooves touching the table as she launched herself into a series of backward somersaults down the REA table, across the aisle to her own, aiming to land herself in the chair right next to Pyro.

Unfortunately, she didn't quite stick the landing, and fell onto her back with a most conspicuous crash. "Ow... that was better idea in head. Don't try that, foals." Shaking herself off, she looked over the menu, trying to decide upon a dish. "Cheese sampler? I like cheese, yes, and the cabbage salad too, I think. Ah, and the roasted rosemary potatoes!" Having made her order, she settled down, trying to reduce the pounding in her head from her ill-considered stunt.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pyro straightened as Celestia answered him, forgiving him. He smiled before speaking again. "I'll certainly try my best to have a good time here." He said before teleporting himself into a seat. Flying followed soon after, back-flipping her way to the table. Pyro watched, suppressing a chuckle as she crashed onto her back. He looked over the menu that was in front of him as Flying ordered her meal. He wasn't exactly sure of what he should order, since he wasn't feeling too picky at the time. "Alright, I'll have the cabbage salad, and the rosemary potatoes. Water to drink, please." Pyro said, placing his order. He looked over Flying, who seemed to be trying to relieve a pain in her head. "And that's why you don't back-flip into chairs." Pyro said, jokingly to the mare, wondering who else would come sit with them.

CherryBanner.png

Cherry made her way to where Pyro was sitting, spying another mare backflip into the seat beside him. She smiled. It was fun seeing such antics! She trotted over, looking between Pyro and the new mare before speaking.

"May I join you two? Ah...congratulations, miss! That was a superb back-flip! Very impressive! Better than most Pegasi that I know are willing to do...all that fear of breaking a wing..." She went on, her eyes bright as she waited to be allowed to sit. She looked at a waiter and nodded to him.

"I'd like some Fontal Polenta with Mushroom Saute, some fresh Apple Bread and some milk, please. I hope I'm not imposing by ordering here..." She told the waiter, giving a look to Pyro and the mare beside him in apology. At least she still stood, she could always move if she was asked to.

2lcohw5.jpg

"Thank you, your Majesty. We shall allow ourselves, bearing now with your permittance, to enjoy this most festive of celebrations. I hope that was the correct bow. How was my prostration? I didn't want to go with a full face on the floor sort of bow, considering there's a horrible smell in this room like some animal wandered in and did its duty before leaving. Didn't want to find my face in that pile. So a proper hoof over my heart and the other on the ground should have been proper..... Oh, Sorry Moonie."

Another day with Pocket Change, another giggle Moondancer had to hide with a hoof. The young mare wouldn’t have things any other way, all things considered. Once her special companion exited out of babble mode, Moony gently silenced him; “Shhhh, you did fantastic Pocket. Oh before I forget, there’s something I need to ask the boss about…”

“...That is quite alright, thank you for coming down to check.”

Moondancer envisioned herself slapping her forehead over not figuring that Princess Celestia’s guests of honor already had healing spells applied to them. It served the girl right for not taking advanced healing courses back in magic school. With that loose end accounted for though, Moony felt ready to depart from Celestia’s side for the time being; “Well boss, Pocket and I should be getting to our seats now. I’ll leave you to your other guests, Celestia. Have fun tonight!”

"Eh. Your parents, did any of them by chance happen to be instructors in our school?"

After flashing Celestia with a smile, Moondancer quickly spotted where she and Pocket would be sitting down for dinner. As she trotted on over, the unicorn mare answered her coltfriend’s question; “Nah; none of my parents ever got into education. My mom is a stockbroker and my dad’s an appellate judge. As I told you before though, Grandma Moonswirl was skilled enough in magic to teach at Celestia’s School… but nopony in my family was ever a professor at Canterlot University. So uhhhh… I guess that answers your question, tehehe.” As Moony bemusedly finished her explanation, the pair of unicorns arrived at where they would be seated.....

"Bless you!"

The silver maned unicorn laughed for a moment, rubbing a hoof to her nose. Her cheeks were still slightly red with embarrassment at her own faulty magic until she spoke up,"Thanks, Pigpen... sorry abou' that."

"Rascal's doing great, Miss Presteza, thanks for asking!" Pigpen neighed happily. "Poor little guy wanted to come with me to this fancy dinner, but I had to leave him behind. I have a feeling pets wouldn't be allowed in. Besides that, Rascal's keeping watch over the junkyard and Antique Shoppe while I'm away. Perhaps sometime if you happen to be traveling around the Ponyville area, you could stop by my Antique Shoppe! You'd be amazed at all of the things I have to sell there! Valuable things I've discovered by searching around, hauling away junk from houses and even in the trash collections. There's an old saying that 'one pony's trash is another one's treasure.' Forgive me, here I am monopolizing all the conversation. Tell me a little more about yourself, Miss Presteza, if you'd like to."

The young artist gave a bit of a chuckle as the garbagestallion went on about his pet and his antique shop,"No problem ,My li'l friend Fresco was pretty mad about staying at home but I figured the same as you did also I'd be glad ta visit yer shop sometime. I think it's about time we got ta our seats don' ya think? We could continue our conversation there if ya like... but uh... ya might wanna take care of the uh unique smell ya have I'm no' sure everypony at the table will be able ta appreciate it the way you do..." Presteza was trying not to hurt the stallion's feelings, the way he smelt was... distinctive if anything but like she said it was unlikely the other guests could enjoy the banquet with such an odor looming over the table.

"I'll tell ya about myself when we order. I'll try n' see if I can save a seat for ya!"

Seeing her friend from Stalliongrad (who STILL hadn't told her her name yet) backflip over to the table she began to give her some applause but stopped and forced herself not to laugh as the mare fell on her back and soon got herself up and looked over her menu. Before she could take a seat next to Flying Brick a White coated mare took a seat beside her. Presteza didn't want to be rude and ask her to take a different seat so she took the one beside Cherry bloom and began looking at the menu her mouth hanging open as she read the descriptions of all the various food... Despite all the various fancy and delectable looking food the mare decided to order something she hadn't had in a long time since she started traveling.

Looking to Cherry bloom she figured she might as well strike up some conversation again,"Scuse me, do y athink they 'ave good pizza here? I hear Manehattan has the best thought so would that mean the castle chef's aren't as good? By the way I'm Presteza, nice ta meetcha!" said the mare before draping her tail over a seat nearby hoping to hold it for Pigpen.

kzkl.jpg

"Begging your pardon your highness.", the stallion's ears flopped down as he whispered back, "I thought I would be ready for this. Meeting you. Had my lines all picked out. Was going to be smooth. Was going to be clever.", the unicorn couldn't be even more true to his words. It was bad enough that two of the prettiest mares in all of Equestria were standing ever so close to him. There was something about his beloved ruler which just seemed to scrabble the unicorn's brain. She simply radiated power, beauty, and whatever perfume she was wearing was incredible! Or was that her natural scent? While it took a little longer to register than normal, one thing that his princess had said finally found its mark. Moondancer had spoken to her about him in the past. What did they speak about? Just cute little anecdotes? Or did she go into detail? Did she speak of their encounter In the 'Guild Hall' they had worked to hard on resorting? Realizing he was taken up far to much of Celestia's time, he bowed again, an added, "Stiffness. Haven't worn this suit in ages and I have a feeling the dry-cleaner overdid it with the starch, but I will follow your order, Your Majesty.", Pocket Change managed to slap on a actual honest smile and watched as Princess Celestia moved on down to the next pony in his line.

The unicorn followed Moondancer and politely nodded his head as she spoke. As they found their seats, being ever the gentle-colt, the archaeologist-in-training made sure to pull out her chair. As she was sitting, the stallion whispered, "I'm sorry Moonie. With all the distractions all about, I didn't get a chance to say this and I will.", he cleared out his throat, "You look absolutely beautiful today. Just seeing you like this makes all the unpleasantness that was 'Nightmare Night' just wash away." Once the mare was seated, the pony quickly found his way to his seat and studied the menu, "What do you think sounds better, the 'Butternut Squash Gnocchi' or the 'Beet Tart with Dill & Caraway'?". After ordering his meal, the unicorn waited patiently for the ceremony (and the food) to begin. As he waited, he couldn't help but place a free hoof around Moon's.

Pigpen was delighted to be striking up a good conversation with Presteza. Her comments about his smell sort of puzzled him, since the unkempt stallion was very oblivious to his own unique odor. The shaggy, smelly stallion happily followed his new friend over to the table where she had saved a seat for him.

"Oh, thank you so much, Miss Presteza!" Pigpen neighed, seeing the unicorn mare had 'saved him a seat' with her tail. "Y'know, for some odd reason, many ponies kind of shy away from me. It's a complete mystery! I'm a hard working pony that just want to friends with others. Do you think it's because ... I'm... a.... sanitation engineer?"

Pigpen's flies were still orbiting his head, but then decided to do another 'fly by' around the room, passing over Celestia, circling her long horn a few times before resuming their flight back to thier 'master.'

A rather mirthless, "Ha, ha." Was Flying Brick's reply to Pyro as he made his little comment. As if the mare hadn't just figured it out. Still, even injured, she wouldn't stay humorless for long. Another mare was coming beside her, and Brick gave her the trademark greeting: a hearty slap on the back. "Am very happy to hear you enjoy show! Injury risk is stock in trade for performing athlete. Especially when I perform on the city streets; many death defying stunts can be done with cabs and skyscrapers. Good practice for fighting changelings in obstacle course, too."

Having greeted the neighbors and made her order, there was little for the Stalliongrad native to do at present, other than wait for her food, or the Princess' speech.

"Anyways..." Pyro began to say after Flying's unamused laughter. Thankfully, Cherry came up to the table, looking for a place to sit, and inadvertently saving him from having to dig himself out of the little hole he had created with his comment. He smiled at Cherry before speaking. "Of course you can join us, looks like there's plenty of room." Pyro said as Flying perked up and greeted Cherry with a slap to the back. Pyro still remembered when she had slapped his back on nightmare night. She definitely had power, and she wasn't afraid to use it. He had had problems when he went to bed that night. It had hurt to lay on his stomach, due to the explosion that had launched him into the air, it had hurt to lay on his back, mostly because of the Flying's slap, and it had hurt to lay on his sides, due to Haywire's rocks and the changelings that had blindsided him. He had ended up laying on his back, since it was the least painful position, but it was still hard to get to sleep. At least now he could put the night behind him. Pretty soon, Pigpen and the unicorn mare came and sat at the table. Pigpen's smell, of course, came with him, causing Pyro's nose to scrunch up involuntarily. He entertained the idea of burning the smell out of his nose, but he doubted that would be any better than simply enduring it.

2lcohw5.jpg

"I'm sorry Moonie. With all the distractions all about, I didn't get a chance to say this and I will..... You look absolutely beautiful today. Just seeing you like this makes all the unpleasantness that was 'Nightmare Night' just wash away."

Moondancer liked to think at times that she was immune to romantic sappiness, but gosh did Pocket Change sound so endearingly sincere. Maybe it was the fact that this the was longest stretch aside from that first Spellbound meeting where the stallion didn’t compliment the mare of his affections (Moony amusingly estimated that Pocket couldn’t last 15 minutes at most without saying how beautiful, smart, or talented she was). Or perhaps it was the chills down her spine from her companion’s intimate whispers. Heck, it was probably both factors combined which instigated a heart meltdown, and drove Moondancer to give Pocket a big fat kiss on his lips without any regard for the stallion’s ability to breathe, cusping Pocket’s chin with her hoof for good measure.

After a several-second smooch that seemed to last forever, Moondancer pulled away to reveal a sultry-looking face, eager to return Pocket Change’s favor. “I supposed I should have told you this earlier too…” the whispering mare strategically paused as she kept her grip on Pocket’s chin; “...But you have good taste in tuxedos, Mister Change.” Moony winked at her boyfriend afterwards, as her style of compliments always had an air of jest to them rather than playing things romantically straight. But hey; actions spoke louder than words most of time, which the moon-flanked unicorn demonstrated by providing Pocket’s cheek with a big fat smooch of its own. Only after that did Moondancer got around to taking her hoof off Pocket and sit down in her seat.

Moondancer had no opinion on what Pocket Change should order.

"Scuse me, do y athink they 'ave good pizza here?"

Reciprocating Pocket’s clasping of her hoof and ordering fettuccine alfredo with extra garlic didn’t stop Moondancer from eavesdropping on the other conversations taking place; one such random chat piqued her interest. A sharply-dressed light-orange unicorn on the other side of their table was contemplating ordering pizza, so Moony chimed in with her insight as a Canterlot native. “Hey uhhh Presteza is it?” Moondancer got the other mare’s attention; “If I remember right, Princess Celestia’s got chefs from every part of the kingdom working in the castle kitchens. Something about how she always wants every guest to be comfortable with food they're used to. I’m pretty sure then Celestia’s got a real-deal Manehattan pizza chef here, so you're in luck!” Celestia struck Moony as the casual sort, allowing the younger mare to easily imagine her royal boss gorging on the unhealthiest dishes imaginable in a private dining room.....

“I am glad, if you need anything please do not hesitate to ask Radiant.That is good to hear, there will be much to discuss this night. I’m sure you will be good company. Perhaps you could tell me about the open Boot Camp that will be happening soon.”

Radiant didn't even begin to know how to respond to these words. The princess was offering to respond to her needs? The princess expected her to be good company? That was almost unfair. Radiant's breathing quickened slightly as she very nearly began to panic. She needed to play this cool. The princess has asked her a question. She needed to do her best to answer it.

"Er... well... I-I... I'm not sure how very much I know. I signed up with Flash... er... I mean, PFC Flash Sentry, to act as instructors, but we're only so involved in it all and only know so much at this point..." Radiant stammered, finding it hard to keep it all together. "I-I do know that the Citizen Leaders program will allow average civilians a chance to learn and better themselves in an REA environment though... and er... well... it seems like that could be a valuable experience."

Radiant looked down slightly and smiled oddly. It felt like she was stupidly unprepared for this question. She couldn't just admit that she had signed up for it pretty much just because she noticed Flash had though, could she? This was something she was supposed to take very seriously.

"Ah only did what anypony woulda done in mah position, but thanks, Miss Steel. Say, how longa ya been in tha guard?"

Radiant looked toward the filly again. She was at least easier to talk to than the princess she had admired so much for so very long, which was saying something since Radiant had no clue how to talk to children. She'd have do her best though...

"Heroic deeds are not so easily dismissed, young one," Radiant said stiffly, awkwardly, emulating some odd combination of her father, her mother, the colonel and any number of other ponies who popped to mind for her image of an "adult". "Not everypony could have found that courage in her heart, it takes a special courage to do what you did," she added with a disjointed nod.

"As for me, I've been a proper member of the REA for approaching two years now, though there were several months of training before that," Radiant said with a nod. "Of course, my father being a Major, it's like I've been in preparation for it for even longer than that, I suppose."

"Don't worry about me, Princess Celestia. Ah'm an Apple. We deal with all SORTSA lil' injuries down on tha farm. Ah'll only push mahself as far as Ah know Ah can go, not further. 'Sides, the doctors and Twi are smarter than some dumb little filly but they don't know me from a bushel of braeburns. So Princess, Ah ordered somee hay fries and spaghetti. Whatcha gettin'?"

Celestia looked at Apple Bloom with a hint of concern for her well being. Sure she worked on a farm and probably dealt with injury more so than many other fillies her age working on a farm, but Celestia knew that fillies and colts still pushed themselves more often than many mares and stallions in similar situations. "I understand Apple Bloom," Celestia said with a smile. Besides, I'm sure I can check with both Applejack and Twilight to make sure she isn't going too far, and I can ensure she is well tended to here. Celestia thought to herself to put her mind to rest. "As for what I am having, I am simply having a greens salad with daffodil and dethorned rose accents," Celestia replied to the filly. This was Celestia's second banquet in a row, and she really didn't want to eat too much, so a salad would be enough for the night and there was still dessert as well to contend with.

"I'll certainly try my best to have a good time here."

Celestia smiled at Pyroblaze as he teleported to his table. Despite the issues he seemed to be with friends and to be genuinely enjoying himself at his chosen table. Celestia was glad but couldn't give much more attention as festivities were almost ready to go underway, ponies were making orders and soon food would be coming out.

“Well boss, Pocket and I should be getting to our seats now. I’ll leave you to your other guests, Celestia. Have fun tonight!”

"I understand Moondancer." Celestia said with a smile. "I am sure I will, and you have fun as well. If yesterday was any indication it should be a great night for everypony." Celestia said confidently. Sure the ponies were different but everypony knew how to have fun given the right circumstances, and she was sure this was the right circumstance for everypony to at least enjoy themselves.

"Begging your pardon your highness.", the stallion's ears flopped down as he whispered back, "I thought I would be ready for this. Meeting you. Had my lines all picked out. Was going to be smooth. Was going to be clever."

"Stiffness. Haven't worn this suit in ages and I have a feeling the dry-cleaner overdid it with the starch, but I will follow your order, Your Majesty."

Moondancer's special somepony really tried his best, and it brought a genuine smile to Celestia's face as he stumbled over his words and tried to explain why with an apology. Celestia giggled "That is not needed Pocket Change," Celestia pardoned the young stallion as she whispered back "Do you wish to know a secret Pocket Change? The best way to make a good impression is to just be natural and be yourself. You need not try and impress me or anypony else. Being respectful to royalty is fine, but not at the expense of not being yourself. Besides, being the special somepony of a fantastic filly such as Moondancer is pretty impressive itself anyway." Celestia encouraged Pocket Change while imparting a bit of wisdom as well. And once again the stallion made Celestia giggle. "Please do your best to. This night is for you and everypony whom helped during the invasion." With that, the two ponies cantered off to their seats and made their order.

"Er... well... I-I... I'm not sure how very much I know. I signed up with Flash... er... I mean, PFC Flash Sentry, to act as instructors, but we're only so involved in it all and only know so much at this point..." Radiant stammered, finding it hard to keep it all together. "I-I do know that the Citizen Leaders program will allow average civilians a chance to learn and better themselves in an REA environment though... and er... well... it seems like that could be a valuable experience."

Did she just refer to PFC Flash Sentry by his first name and suggest she signed up for a duty because of him? Celestia didn't mind the implication that her soldiers were in relationships so long as it did not interfere with active duties, however this provided Celestia with a new discussion topic, though one that might make Radient Steel even more nervous. "That sounds like it is fascinating, I heard a bit about it last night, but I do wish to learn more. Perhaps I might even visit during it for an inspection," Celestia replied to the REA mare's explanation of the camp. "Now, I do apologize if this is personal, but you mentioned PFC Flash Sentry, even referred to him in a familiar way and signing up for being an instructor because of him. Are you very close with him?" Celestia inquired of the REA mare with a grin drawing across her face as if she knew something she wasn't letting on. She was eager to hear the response and see the reaction to the implication.

HappleBloomBanner_zps996468fa.png

Apple Bloom didn't want to be entirely dismissive of what Radiant Steel said because she was a pony deserving of respect, but Apple Bloom didn't really think what she said was so baseless. Why would anypony else have acted differently? Somepony needed help, you gave that pony help and if their life was in danger you'd do absolutely everything you could to help them, up to and including putting your own in danger if needs be. Heck, she did it for Celestia but she would have done it for ponies she had a great dislike of, including Diamond Tiara. The only difference was that everypony should feel that way about Princess Celestia and Apple Bloom doubted anypony except maybe her father felt the same for Diamond Tiara. But it never did hurt to have your ego stroked, both when you were complimented and when you downplayed your heroics. It felt pretty darn good.

"Well, Ah guess maybe yer right, but Ah'm not sure how special it is. Mah friends woulda done tha same for me, my sister would do the same for anypony, and Ah'm sure you woulda done the same for Celestia. Ah'm right, right? Y'all in the REA are s'posed to be ready to do it for Celestia and Luna and Cadence and Twilight, right? Now Ah think THAT'S special 'cause y'all dedicate yer lives ta it. Ah just did what Ah shoulda done, y'all dedicate yerself ta what NEEDS ta be done. Pretty cool, Ah think. So, two years? Father a Major? That's...above a captain, right? But Ah suppose the way ranks work between the private Guard and the REA are different, right? Otherwise maybe yer dad got ta order aroun' Shining Armor. Ah guess it makes sense how you joined, but how would a normal pony start? And when?" Apple Bloom asked, progressively her voice getting more energetic as the topic moved away from her. Answers were always better than questions.

Which made Celestia's reply give Apple Bloom a small fit of the giggles.

"Sounds like a light lunch for a pony as big as ya, Yer Highness, but Ah figure you have a mite bigger dinner planned than Ah do," and speak of Discord, the food was arriving. Apple Bloom watched with her mouth watering as her plate arrived, almost overfilled with her intensely wonderful order. The spaghetti looked and smelled divine, and the hay fries weren't overly done like at some places that treated you like you ordered dog food every time you ordered. The greens were there more due to her innate desire to eat healthy ingrained in her since she was just a little filly, but truth be told she couldn't tell how well cooked they were. Looked fine to her, would taste fine soon enough.

"Thanks!" She nodded towards the waiter who gave her the plate of food and a glass of milk before she turned all of her attention to her plate. She then realized something...how the hay was she gonna eat it? She couldn't cut any of it. She sighed and looked at it forlornly, scooting in closer and closer and bending down. With great effort she managed to get a single strand of spaghetti in her mouth and she sucked the whole noodle down. This would take forever.

pony9.jpg

"I...I apologize for the acts of some of these ponies. I suppose part of it is my f-fault. I am a fairly rich pony, that lives in Canterlot. They assume you have my stereot-t-type."

Cashmere smiled at TimeSpinner, listening to his words "Thank you..I do truly appreciate it" He assured him and tsked "That's their mistake NOT yours, I was born in Canterlot but am a Ponyvillian at heart, I am constantly disturbed by ponies thinking they are so much better because they arn't 'snobby" like Canterlot ponies, yet act so judgmental" He said giving a certain mare a slight sideways glance "Your support..and words were very kind" He assured him, putting a hoof on his shoulder, waving as the other went to sit down.

"I hope I'm not interrupting...I just wanted to apologize for that...I don't know you, but you have to be a good pony to be honored by Her Highness herself! I just...I don't see why anypony can't sit beside you, aside from you being so highly honored...".

Now at this Cashmere frowned at her, he was trying to stay pleasant but oooooh! The nerve "Miss you should NEVER assume such nasty things about anypony! It's unfair to them to stick them in a box! It's so mean spirited..."He shook his head "Please try to never hurt someone else with your words like you hurt me today..." Cashmere sighed at her next question "Because it is not my place to LET them, there is a seating arrangement, it would be VERY disrespectful to Princess Celestia if I just let someone disrupt it, I am not being snobby I am being considerate of my hostess"

Cashmere was done talking to this one, so he smiled to her politely, his magic glowing and twirling a forkfull of spagetti to AppleBloom, propping it up just so , so the filly can eat "Allow me to assist Captain!"

• 1 month later...

kzkl.jpg

"Thank you, your highness.", the unicorn could not help but turn a light shade of red as the princess spoke to him. While the desire to bend down and kiss his beloved ruler's shiny horseshoes did float around his head for a brief moment, Pocket Change wisely decided against it and simply followed his favorite fantastic filly to their table. While the blush quickly faded away, he couldn't help but keep a smile on his face for the duration of the trip. After laying a few proper and gentle-coltly complements to his date, the stallion's day only got better as the mare planted a smooch directly onto his lips. "Bgglw! Mfrnkf? Dmnkly.", he could only mutter. As she cusped his chin, the stallion was able to utter an, "Grlpyt.", before his brain stopped spinning and he was once again able to focus on what was around him.

This did not last long as he received yet another kiss from Moon Dancer, "Jeepers." The urge to ditch this ceremony and find a more private spot where the smooches would fall like the heavy summer rain quickly popped up, but he knew how important this event was for Moon, along with the others. Also, 'heavy summer rain'? That almost sounded like something his mother would have written in one of her cheesy romance novels. "Oh. Thanks. Was told this just would work with everything." He didn't feel the need to point out that his sister Docket found him the suit. While the stallion was generally happy to snatch up the first selection of clothing that was his size, his twin sibling managed to drag him to a proper clothing store where she found the prefect outfit for the Banquet and it only took them six hours! Horrible memories of the days his granny would drag him to the J.C. Pony's and make him try on an nearly endless line of tacky clothing for some silly family event. Thankfully his sister at least had excellent taste.

After making up his mind and ordering the 'Seitan Piccata', Pocket Change glanced over at Moon Dancer who was chatting with a younger mare about the menu. "Pizza? Really?", he glanced down at the menu and was surprised to see actual listings for his beloved pie. Considering he normally ate pizzas for both lunch and dinner from his favorite pizza joint in Canterlot, he decided his original order would still stay. "Hmmm. The 'Apple Cheddar Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts' sounds like a treat along with the 'Portabella & Kale Pizza with Roasted Garlic Sauce'." 'Wait, did Moon order something with garlic? Even stinky breath would not prevent the mare from getting a few more kisses before the day had ended.

• 4 weeks later...

"Did somepony say we were going to have pizza?" Pigpen asked as he heard somepony nearby mention it. The shaggy. unkempt stallion waited for Presteza's response to his last question. As he did, Pigpen noticed Pyro Blaze at their table. Being the friendly sort of pony, he turned to speak to him.

"Hello friend, I'm Pigpen, maybe you've heard of me! I have a thriving antique shop back in Ponyville."

As he spoke, Pigpen's flies did another 'fly by' around everypony seated at the table, including Presteza and Pyro Blaze.

"See there? Even my flies like you guys!" the smelly Earth stallion neighed with a big, toothy grin on his face.

Pyro had been kind of spacing out, so he was startled a bit when Pigpen started talking to him. He hid it pretty well, a slight twitch being the only indication he had been surprised. He looked over at Pigpen as he introduced himself and said he owned an antique shop in Ponyville. Honestly, Pyro hadn't heard of him before this event, probably due to the combination of living in Canterlot, not caring much about antiques, and not usually going to Ponyville that much. Pigpen's flies decided to visit the other ponies at the table, Pyro included. He resisted the urge to swat them away when they passed, not wanting to hurt Pigpen in any way.

"I actually hadn't heard of you before, but I don't usually come to Ponyville very often either. I live here in Canterlot. My name's Pyro." Pyro said, smiling at Pigpen despite his nose still scrunching from the smell.

"That sounds like it is fascinating, I heard a bit about it last night, but I do wish to learn more. Perhaps I might even visit during it for an inspection. Now, I do apologize if this is personal, but you mentioned PFC Flash Sentry, even referred to him in a familiar way and signing up for being an instructor because of him. Are you very close with him?"

Radiant instantly went red. Why was the princess interested in her and Flash? She glanced away awkwardly and trembled slightly.

"Well... er... I-I'm not sure what you mean... close? We're just friends. We were assigned together at the Gala and a few other times.... and well, we might have shared a dance together at the Army Ball but..." Radiant's voice increasingly approached a quiet, high squeak as her face came to approach her mane in color.

"B-but it's not like there's anything else. It's just... um... he's somepony I can talk to easily..." she said, shivering. She cursed herself internally. Here she was in front of the princess she had idolized her entire life and she was blathering on like a complete imbecile. "But you couldn't be interested in such things, princess. If you do visit the camp for an inspection, I look forward to it," she said more soldierly, trying to save what little face she could. Quickly she turned back to the filly. She hadn't talked to a child since she was one herself, but that was still the easier proposition.

"Well, Ah guess maybe yer right, but Ah'm not sure how special it is. Mah friends woulda done tha same for me, my sister would do the same for anypony, and Ah'm sure you woulda done the same for Celestia. Ah'm right, right? Y'all in the REA are s'posed to be ready to do it for Celestia and Luna and Cadence and Twilight, right? Now Ah think THAT'S special 'cause y'all dedicate yer lives ta it. Ah just did what Ah shoulda done, y'all dedicate yerself ta what NEEDS ta be done. Pretty cool, Ah think. So, two years? Father a Major? That's...above a captain, right? But Ah suppose the way ranks work between the private Guard and the REA are different, right? Otherwise maybe yer dad got ta order aroun' Shining Armor. Ah guess it makes sense how you joined, but how would a normal pony start? And when?"

She nodded. "There is merit to what you say, young filly, but ultimately what it comes down to is the moment. The average pony may say she'll lend a hoof to somepony in need when things turn south, but the average pony is not always so bold as to do so when that time actually comes. Even within the REA, fear, uncertainty and other pressures hang over our heads. Part of a solider's function is to train herself to shut such things out, so that when a moment comes where we are needed to protect those who cannot protect themselves, we are able to do so and do so efficiently. A pony of the REA spends years learning to steel her nerves and become the able shield Equestria needs. Perhaps you only meant to do what you perceived as the right thing, but it remains that in that moment you found commendable bravery that some ponies may never find," Radiant said, emulating the cadence of her father to an extent. She wanted to make sure she said the right things to this impressionable child. Celestia was watching after all, and she needed to make up ground after speaking like a complete fool only moments ago.

"As for your question of ranks, the Guard, or Garrison Force, are a branch of the REA, but definitely part of the same organization. Major is indeed above Captain, so in terms of rank my father did indeed outrank Captain Armor, though they served in different branches. Though he had a very visible profile within the force, the Captain was still young and far from one of the highest ranked soldiers in the REA. Of course, now that he is princes of the Crystal Empire, I suppose it's all a different story," she added with a nod. It was kind of difficult keeping up with all of the child's questions, though she believed she was doing acceptably well so far.

"Sounds like a light lunch for a pony as big as ya, Yer Highness, but Ah figure you have a mite bigger dinner planned than Ah do,"

The princess's response seemed to entertain the young filly, sending her into a giggling fit, which in turn made Celestia giggle as well. "I eat enough Apple Bloom, you needn't worry about that," Celestia replied to Apple Bloom. Celestia's meal then came to her and she began eating it gingerly, knowing that she would soon have to make a speech.

Radiant instantly went red. Why was the princess interested in her and Flash? She glanced away awkwardly and trembled slightly.

"Well... er... I-I'm not sure what you mean... close? We're just friends. We were assigned together at the Gala and a few other times.... and well, we might have shared a dance together at the Army Ball but..." Radiant's voice increasingly approached a quiet, high squeak as her face came to approach her mane in color.

"B-but it's not like there's anything else. It's just... um... he's somepony I can talk to easily..." she said, shivering. She cursed herself internally. Here she was in front of the princess she had idolized her entire life and she was blathering on like a complete imbecile. "But you couldn't be interested in such things, princess. If you do visit the camp for an inspection, I look forward to it," she said more soldierly, trying to save what little face she could.

Radiant almost instantly turned red at the inquiry to her and Flash Sentry. This was not an unexpected response to her inquiry either. The young guardsmare instantly began fumbling over her words to try and explain it. Celestia let out a light laugh at Radiant's reaction. "I do apologize, it seems that it was too personal. Though it is good that you have a colleague that you are able to be so close with and talk with easily. I know quite well the importance of that," Celestia smiled, of course referring to the relationship between herself and her sister. She then moved in to whisper to Radiant "Though you shouldn't be ashamed if there is something more between the two of you, nor nervous that I am asking you about it." Celestia said with a wink, moving back. "Now please pardon me, I do believe it is time to progress with the evening now that the food has arrived."

Celestia rose from her seat and tapped a glass with her silverware to get everypony's attention. "I thank everypony for attending this banquet. It means so much to me to have subjects who would do so much for Equestria and their fellow pony. Today we are here to honour the acts of valor and selflessness in the face of great peril of every pony who was there that fateful night." Celestia paused looking around the room smiling at everypony gathered. "All gathered here today have reason to be proud. You all have helped to save Equestria this past Nightmare Night." Celestia's horn glowed as she pulled a drape off of a stained glass window showing the ponies of Ponyville standing together as the changeling forces are being expelled away. "Your actions will be on display for all to see from hence forth in the great hall." Celestia nodded towards the guard to bring the medals that she had prepared for her special guests. "The two next to me will be especially awarded because they not only fought bravely, but they also sacrificed themselves for me. And though they were not able to succeed in freeing me, their act of bravery and selflessness allowed me to find the strength to break free and expel some of the invading forces." Celestia opened the box which contained two medals. "For her acts of bravery in the face of adversity, despite being one so small, I award Apple Bloom with the Medal of Valor. And to Cashmere for jumping in to help a friend in need and even choosing to take a full magical blast for the sake of another I award him the Medal of Loyalty. If not for these two I might not be standing before you today." Celestia levitated the respecive medals to the necks of her guests. Nodding in acknowledgement. "I will now open the floor to them if they wish to say anything. I once again thank everypony for your brave deeds."

((OOC: After this short awards thing is done the banquet will move to a more open forum, allowing everyone to move about and interact with anyone and at any table at will.))

• 3 weeks later...

HappleBloomBanner_zps996468fa.png

Apple Bloom was pretty darn thankful for having a pony as helpful as Cashmere flakin' her on one side as she spoke with Radiant. He was an odd sort of stallion who reminded her of her cousin Valen, but he was as upstanding as they came despite the poor situation he found himself in. She winked towards him approvingly as he twirled large mouthfuls that stuffed her small face deliciously, her appetite never damaged in the attack. She could eat five full plates of spaghetti and not be a second or two removed from more if they kept it coming, which was a trait the little one shared with her big sis who could stuff a whole city's worth of food down her gullet if she had any inclination to do so. Luckily for the food stores of every town in the Heartland, the Apples were a reserved lot who did not raid the countryside to satisfy their neverending hunger. Yet. What they did was listen intently when important ponies spoke.

And Radiant was an important pony, even if in hearing discussion with Celestia she didn't think of herself that way. Apple Bloom had the greatest respect for those who put themselves on the line for Equestria and a superior sense of admiration and even awe. It took a lot within you to dedicate yourself to something that most of the time seemed so fruitless and unneeded. Back on the farm, the products of your labor could be seen every single day as the progress of a harvest was neverending and time consuming. You charted your life and the passage of time by the manner of the trees. But as a member of the REA, how dod you measure success when everything was fine and there were no threats? Were you doing a good job or were you doing the worst job possible but existed in a state of time that was as peaceful as could be and therefore your flaws were hidden? It took a great deal of belief to think you were doing the right thing then, and your life as well as Equestria's existence hung on your heart being set on the right course.

So, as Apple Bloom blushed a little as Radiant told her just how brave she was, all Apple Bloom could think of was that Radiant was so invested in the REA and her family's history that she couldn't see the forest for the trees. Maybe what Apple Bloom did was a special sort of bravery, but it certainly took a special sort of courage to invest your life into a dream or a vision and from where she was sitting that was what all members of the REA did, and Apple Bloom loved that about 'em. It certainly stirred something inside her but she couldn't tell Radiant so- she had a mouthfull of spaghetti that she was noisily snogging down!

That came to an end when Celestia brought the ceremony to the starting bell and told everypony why they were gathered and awarded her a medal. There were many thoughts that raced through her little Apple head, but the most prominent was simple: Now she had a medal of her own to show her big sister! Why, they could compare medal size and everything. Sure Apple Bloom couldn't compete with quantity, but heck, even Applejack would have to be impressed by her awesome medal! Now if only Granny Smith and Big Mac saved the Princesses once in a while they could all walk around town with medals and be the best ponies ever. And she certainly had something to shove down Diamond Tiara's face.

But now the attention was on the filly, who froze in the spotlight as it were for a second with bright, rosy cheeks from an earlier blush reinforced heavily. She slurped up a long strand of spaghetti slowly, leaving a saucy trail with a silly sound.

"Well, uhh, Ah...just...uhh, it was tha right thing ta do so Ah did it just like mah big sister Applejack woulda done an'...uhh, go Equestria! Yeah!"

• 4 weeks later...

(Sorry I haven't posted anything; I couldn't really think of anything for my character at the moment.)

State dinners had never really been a thing for Flying Brick, and they probably wouldn't be in the future. Not that she was having a bad time, per se, but this was just not the sort of time or place that the Stalliongrad mare felt comfortable in. The food was good, and she had tucked in with all the appetite of an athletic pony, but supper in her house had always been for eating, not speaking. Talking generally happened over the after-dinner vodka. Speaking of which...

"Da, neighbor," She poked the pony next to her, "There is something more firey than apple juice on the menu, yes?" She tried to whisper, and not interrupt the Princess, but her remark came at a very inopportune time, in the pause right after Applebloom had finished speaking. Taken the wrong way, it might have come off as a comment on the young filly's speaking ability. Cashmere would not be the only pony subject to misunderstandings tonight...

Archived