Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

Rabukurafuto

So a few months ago a book was announced on Amazon as My Little Pony: Equestria Girls 2, slated for an April release. Checking on it again, the book has now been revealed as My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks.

Rainbow%2520Rocks%2520book%2520cover.jpg

So now it ties into the new toyline and planned film/special. No story details outside of a band theme yet, but it appears that either Twilight returns to Equestria High or we get a story with her human counterpart (unlikely since they all have pony attributes again). DJ Pon-3 looks like she will be making her first important role, and Sunset is nowhere to be seen for some reason (maybe her attempts at being kinder didn't go so well).

There is also a possibility that "Rainbow Rocks" is not just a book, but a second movie. Here's an excerpt from an "Ask Me Anything" session that Tara Strong did over the weekend:

Q:
Anything at all you can spill about Equestria Girls 2, ostensibly subtitled as "Rainbow Rocks"?

A
: It'll be adorable!

Now, that's not proof, but it does raise the possibility that this is going to be another movie. Needless to say, the vocal members of the fandom who hated EqG are going to be all up-in-arms over this...

I welcome a new movie. EqG wasn't perfect, but it was cute and a lot of fun. I'd like to see how they approached doing a sequel, and if it's about them forming a band of some sorts, that is a strong indicator it will be a platform for a lot of great new music.

That cover for the book gives some pause, I suppose, though I dunno. I was skeptical going in about the character designs for the first film and I got used to them watching it. Still, Rainbow Dash really just looks completely different with her hair so long, It's kinda weird.

Either way, I'm gonna go into this one with even more optimism than I did the last. I look forward to seeing what we get from this next phase of Equestria Girls.

Heh... I'll actually probably be kinda disappointed if we don't get another full feature from it...

I didn't think there would be another film yet since season 4 is a full 26 episodes instead of 13 (I now think season 3 was shorter due to work on Equestria Girls). I wonder if this means a different team is doing the bulk of the work.

Shimmer could be a good guy but as a result not really important enough to be on the cover

I was expecting Sunset to play a season 1 Twilight role in future stories, but maybe something else is planned for her.

I am so very very okay with Pony meets Jem.

It would be truly outrageous. A FANTASY.

But seriously, Jem was amazing and a Jem flare could only improve HumanPonyMovie2. Just think about it: Daniel Ingram does Jem tunes. Just think about it.

I can't tell much as well, even if the cover is official, we might have a Twilight from the human world moved to Canterlot for further studies? Sunset might play as secondary character. I also hope Flash Sentry get to be a secondary but also more developed than the last movie. After all, surely he can't stay away from the sequel forever, he will decide to chase after that Twilight or stick with Sunset.

As for the villain, I know so far that Trixie is the one, ever since I've been watching Uotapo's artworks of Sunset Helper, we might see something, especially I like this one,

http://uotapo.deviantart.com/art/Versus-431035166

Heh. cute clip. Watching them perform with instruments makes me recall the anime K-On!, where funnily enough the keyboardist was my favorite too. :)

But yeah, I can say I'm looking forward to this. That they're embracing the music component to me seems like a winning strategy. The music from first film (especially the central number in the cafeteria) was ultimately probably the biggest take away. If they build on that and take it more into a pop rock direction, that could actually be really fun.

I know it'll cause a stir, but for me, this'll be just another thing to look forward to. ;)

Heh. cute clip. Watching them perform with instruments makes me recall the anime K-On!, where funnily enough the keyboardist was my favorite too. :)

But yeah, I can say I'm looking forward to this. That they're embracing the music component to me seems like a winning strategy. The music from first film (especially the central number in the cafeteria) was ultimately probably the biggest take away. If they build on that and take it more into a pop rock direction, that could actually be really fun.

I know it'll cause a stir, but for me, this'll be just another thing to look forward to. ;)

I agree only I'd prefer for them to take it more in an 80s glam rock direction. They have the look, they just need the sound.

And they should TOTALLY get David Bowie to be their instructor for the big competition (we all know there will probably be one).

Also... Rarity with AX Synth Keytar is perfection. And AJ as bassist is also perfect. I think they should have given Twi a guitar or a synth board though. She should be doing more than just vocals.

Fabulous. I'm even more excited now.

Since the title of this one is Rainbow Rocks it implies that Rainbow is the focus. I hope this means more films follow with a focus on a different pony. Applejack Athletic Meet. Fluttershy's Furry Friends. Rarity's Charity. Pinkie Prom.

Hoho, after watching that clip again, the humor returns when AJ is right, Rarity is gonna surprise herself and indeed she brought with her is some diamond dogs. :) With the band like that, I wonder if Flash is the one teaching them and if the rivalry is with Trixie. That's my assumption.

It'll be interesting to see how this continues to develop. A sequel was inevitable given that time and resources were put into developing this spinoff in the first place. It's a necessary evil to ensure the continuing equine growth of FiM.

12 new songs? I bet they'll be great.

Let's not forget that the news from EQD did told us that Hasbro is starting from today, or was it yesterday, that it'll extend the lifespan for MLP to another 5 years.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/discussion-5-more-years-what-do-you.html

Gosh, this Year of the Horse is super epic, not only Season 4 is still ongoing & halfway there, then later Season 5 announcement, Equestria Girls 2 revealed started as a clip with some new characters like the diamond dogs, and finally, the 5-year extension. Holy Guacamole!

Yep, looks like this one is going to be a full on musical:

Capture.PNG

12 songs? The plot could be non existent and I'd probably still probably love it.

It occurs to me that since there is a novel, slight thought may be (124 pages I think), there must be some plot in there because novelisations of musicals don't tend to include the songs (except for the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Grease novelisations). Also, what is up with how they coordinate Equestria Girls novelisations? The first one came out months after the film, and this one comes out months before the film.

When I watched the trailer, I was stunned that they almost matched the idea I had in my head if the Mane 6 were ever a band exactly. The only difference is I would have Fluttershy play bass and AJ be another guitarist. Anyways, I thought the last EQG had some major, MAJOR problems, but still enjoyed it anyway. I expect the same result for this one. The only difference maker is going to be if they use the typical "high school rock band" cliche. The characters form a band, enter a Battle of the Bands contest, have to compete against a villian who is probably a rival band and who, for God knows whatever reason, happens to be a metal band (I will instantly hate the movie if this is the case), figure out that their music sucks, go through extreme lengths to get better, temporarily break up due to one member getting an inflated ego and quitting, eventually reunite and finally win against all odds. I've seen this trope used a million times in a million movies, TV episodes, etc, and as a musician I feel that this depiction is inaccurate and doesn't do the real struggles of gaining musical success justice, in addition to just being boring and done to death. But MLP isn't your typical cartoon, so we shall see.

Meh, doesn't sound too bad. I mean, if we're honest, aside from the fact that every girl seemingly wore a skirt except for Celestia and Luna, did Equestria Girls really have any problems? I mean, I somewhat enjoyed it, it certainly wasn't all that bad. Also, let's be honest here guys, 12 songs! I mean, even if you don't like the movie, 12 songs is enough to let the movie be similair to a musical!

This is another step closer to a Broadway show! Possibly concert, maybe, but who knows?

My younger brother wants to make a Broadway Friendship is Magic. His idea for costuming was actually quite similar to that early Equestria Girls art with the cutie marks on the cheeks.

Archived