Official Discussion Thread - S04E14 Filli Vanilli

I enjoyed this episode. Wasn't the greatest of the season so far, but it will be on my top twenty six.

Pinkie Pie must have been extra-sugared up before this episode since she was extra-silly during this one, but at least this was acknowledged by the other characters this time around. WHAP! :mad::x

We get Big Mac SINGING!

The two other pones that are part of the ‘Ponytones’ were really cute. I believe they're called Toe Tapper and Torch Song..

Love the looks on AB and AJ when they notice their Crazy-Cat-Lady relative is there at the adoption party..She needs more kitties!

Also Zippoorwhill and her dad were cute.

And we also get the triumph return of 'Flutterguy'.

"Ummmmm, no offense but you kinda sounded like a dude." - Pinkie

That was by far my favorite quote of the episode. It made me laugh which I always like to have happen during a FiM viewing. Yep, Pinkie was OOC for sure like others are saying but this quote salvaged it for me.

I also liked the AJ/Big Mac convo on stage. It went with the characters really well.

I'm also a huge fan of FiM songs and I liked the sound of the Pony Tones ;)

Not my favorite episode, but it wasn't the worst I've seen either.

5/10

(I finally found a way to view episodes so now I can comment in these review threads! Yay! Not having TV doesn't have many draw backs but missing curretn FiM episodes certainly is one of the few!)

One thing that initially bugged me were the other mane six's reaction to Fluttershy's singing. They should know that she can only sing, but sing well. How many times have we seen a Fluttershy song with another pony, or as part of a group, or in front of somepony else? What should have happened is when Fluttershy finished her diddly, her friends should have applauded thunderously, showing their approval at their friend's amazing singing skill once again. This would have suitably embarrassed the overly shy Fluttershy, who didn't expect anyone but her little animal friends to be listening; not because her friends didn't know, but because they were drawing attention to it.

It would have been nice if the Ponytones were mentioned before this episode. Although it would not have happened before season 4, this episode would have been know to the storyboarders for the previous episodes of this season, It could have been mentioned subtly, in passing, a couple times by Rarity as just part of a random conversation early on in a story or two. It would have built up curiosity in the audience, and it would have connected Rarity to the group while leaving her role ambiguous, and the others in the quartet a mystery. This is important as it was established in the episode that the Ponytones were fairly popular, at least in town (although they likely have never gotten the constant bookings before Flutterguy's voice).

Pinkie wasn't entirely OOC, but her normal filter was "turned off". I would have liked to see Pinkie had matured enough as a character not to be so in your face to Fluttershy, knowing as she did, how much Fluttershy hates it. This is especially noticeable because Pinkie has gone through some great development this season, despite the constant danger of her being Flanderized.

I enjoy this episode too, even with the humor is around because of Flutterguy. At an interesting start, I knew Fluttershy is our best Snow White. :)

Later, lol, whoops, vocal cords lost to Pinkie's turkey call. I suspect she can voice anything when she has a wide range of sound effects. :-o

Hoho, Zecora even flashbacks Fluttershy with Spike's given nickname when Flutters had a manly voice. :lol: Ahh... yes, hence the title and what Flutters is doing to help Big Mac's loss of his voice, Milli Vanilli's lipsyncing scandal during one of its concerts. I gotta say, like from the episode from that curtain fall, this is just like how that band got screwed in the first place. Oh well, can we blame it on the rain?

Oh, then there's a big daddy pegasus with his cute little girl. Oh my, I'm afraid of dating his daughter when she grows up. Gladly Scootaloo wasn't around, or else she's gonna cry so bad for that girl's hyperactive flying. Except that one Scootaloo-like filly that uses Rumble's color scheme, interesting! :-o I bet there will be a comic featuring that was actually Scootaloo in disguise and not very happy with that hyperactive flying filly.

Hello? Isn't that Celestia's personal secretary? Hmm... interesting cameo. Lol, I like what Pinkie did, "Spiderpie, Spiderpie!"

Oops, got BUSTED with the spotlight on her this time after that curtain fall! Fluttershy, your performance as Flutterguy is great, well, girl, you know it's true.

This was a... mixed opinion of an episode for me.

They brought back Flutterguy, there's an interesting relationship between Big Mac and Fluttershy. Not like true love, but like they're really good friends(probably because they don't talk much(winkwink), which was nice.

Pinkie Pie was cluelessly stupid, which I disliked the most in this episode.

I get the feeling they made this episode because of Pentatonix, but that's just me!

I felt the same too, she is being in "Talk before re-think" kind of attitude, something like that will easily offends other ponies. :( So yeah, I don't enjoy Pinkie in this episode. While I watch again, I focus on the Ponytones & Flutterguy instead.

Pinkie wasn't entirely OOC, but her normal filter was "turned off". I would have liked to see Pinkie had matured enough as a character not to be so in your face to Fluttershy, knowing as she did, how much Fluttershy hates it. This is especially noticeable because Pinkie has gone through some great development this season, despite the constant danger of her being Flanderized.

Pinkie Pie development begins and ends on each Pinkie Pie episode.

I'm going to agree that Pinkie was a bit too vicious, especially doing it over and over and over like that (though at least at the end she realized "too much?") Pinkie is not a mean character, much as I hate to agree, the poster before that said it sounded more like Dash was right (Will never forget back in S1 "Rarity, your not a laughing stock" "She kidna is!") Also, yeah, Flutters has sang a LOT, I dont understand her friend's suprise at it. The whole 'some songs were in their imagination' does explain it away (I mean really 'at the gala' seemed a little _too_ unreal, but then we had 'Generocity' and Dash lampshaded Rarity bursting into song, so...), but also it seems to be an arse-pull.

Interestingly enough I dissagree though with the best part of the episode, I absolutely loved those few seconds between Fluttershy's reveal before she realized everypony was looking at her. The energy she showed, it was clear she was having the time of her life :)

Plot was kinda predictable, though the twist with her syncing to Mac was a nice suprise. (Can somone tell me: Was that Mac's VA doing 'flutterguy' or did Libman actually voice that and it was remuxed?) Also, I though I did see Scootaloo for a brief flash in one scene, but maybe I was mistaken since it was in the background as they panned the shot...

It was someone named Marcus Mosley. Either Blu Mankuma doesn't sing or wasn't available to reprise the male Fluttershy voice.

Thanks, the version I saw had both sets of credits snipped.

I'm going to agree that Pinkie was a bit too vicious, especially doing it over and over and over like that (though at least at the end she realized "too much?")

After her last speech she also didn't realize she had forgotten to say the positive part she was getting to

They needed Pinkie to articulate Fluttershy's fears in a way so very young children would understand, and then to have those fears pointed at as irrational at the end when Pinkie is called out on it. I suppose they thought it would have been awkward for Fluttershy herself to flat-out explain it.

Archived