[Canterlot] Peachy's Portraits at Pony Joe's! Open to all. (Sign up required for portraits)

CaptainMcDerp

((Note he naturally speaks fast.))

Upon the mentioning of the hat, Java's eyes had turned to the head of the artist. He continued to study it as he listened to everything he said. He must admit though, he could understand why he had the sudden urge to have the hat. It was indeed a very nice hat. It did seem something close to what an aristocrat would wear, but oddly enough, this well known artist didn't seem to act the suit. Maybe flirtatious with the ladies, but definitely not the snobbish ponies that Java tends to avoid on his way to work or home.

"So what about you? What would be your special talent, my good stallion? And how did you come to find it?"

Well...” He finally looked away from the hat turning his eyes to meet the other. “My talent is technically called computation. But a lot of people just call it mathematics, since it's a more common word. I am a mathematician by heart and talent, and an engineer in mind, and career” Java mused with a smile.

I see things under a technical light. Lets me figure things out if I know enough of the concepts... but under a mathematical standpoint. Even create!” Java smiled and took a sip, before setting it back down on his platter. “And how I came across it?”

The pony tapped his chin for a moment in thought. His gaze then shifted to look back to his golden cutie mark. A sigma.

and how did I come across it? Well it's nothing incredible that got me fame. It was in school back in Manehatten. A good ole professor of science and engineering came to visit under the request of my teacher.. And well... I just loved math. To keep the story short, I excitedly asked him to take me as an apprentice, and he half heartedly gave me a problem, and asked me to solve. A way to deter. I suppose anyways, his face lit up in shock when I gave the correct answer in three seconds. But ah... I loved learning everything he taught me. May not have been much he could teach me when it comes to math, but the more I learned... only opened up more questions and delightful puzzles. Hmm... don't you run that shop a few blocks up the street? What brings you here?”

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PeachyBanner_zps681adafc.png

So the earth pony really was a math expert. Fancy that! Rather it be from his personal lack of math skills or not, Peachy held quite a respect for those so proficient with numbers.

He simply sat still and listened with great engrossment, imagining the scenes in his head as they were laid out. The pony's hasty sentences flew by in a jiffy, but Peachy managed to catch most of his words. He delighted in hearing life tales from others. To learn bits and pieces of one's back story and gradually paint a picture of somepony was most riveting. In short, he loved meeting new ponies. And this was no doubt a fascinating stallion.

As the pony's story was coming to a close, Peachy realized his sentence ended with a question.

"Hmm... don't you run that shop a few blocks up the street? What brings you here?”

"First off, allow me to say that was quite the intriguing story. Mathematical experts never cease to amaze me. Especially since I'm not the best at numbers myself. And as for your questions, yes that is in fact my shop. And the idea simply came to me while I was here one day." He impulsively glanced around the shop. "I thought the atmosphere would be perfect for a little portrait booth so I requested permission from Joe and the rest is history. As for why, I simply enjoy meeting other ponies and painting. So it's only natural that I merge the two."

Peachy blinked his eyes wide and crinkled his snout for a brief moment before returning to his usual nature. "Dear me, I do apologize. I believe I haven't gotten your name yet."

pony9.jpg

Cashmere glanced over, hearing his name getting called, and just levitated his coffee over to him, he'd get the treats later, trotting over, waiting for a pause to speak "Do you need me to do anything in specific Mr Keen?" He asked smiling softly, wanting to be out of the way and not interfere with the conversations, he was finding that he was less and less good at social interactions like this, taking a tentative sip of his coffee.

Mhm..how he missed this coffee..

(Sorry this post is so small and terrible)

The earth pony blinked after the praise, and then inhaled in a gasp to his name mid sip. Something that he had completely unexpected had actually caused him to wrongly inhale the piping hot coffee he was drinking. After a series of coughs, and finally a wheezing recovery he looked up to the pony with a mixture of confusion and surprise. He spoke once more, and once again each word came in a punctual but rapid succession, “Oh, nothing to concern yourself with really! Erm, my name is JavaSun. But please just call me Java.”

After beating his chest a bit with his hoof, he finally managed to clear up his tone. He straightened up and gestured down to the south where the mountain starts to dip down towards the valley, and on the opposite end of the town when compared to the Canterlot castle. “I live down younder the lower section of the city in a nice little… erm… study. Low rent residence if you will. Nice and quiet, and somehow less crowded than the deeper sectors of this city with a nice view of the countryside and the castle from a distance.”

He returned his coffee mug to his lips once more and took a deep sip, before placing it back down on the saucer like a coaster. “No worries of to much noise, so it gives me plenty of freedom for a large number of personal projects,” He then motions to his back, which still held saddlebags full of a variety of gears, metals, glass, cardboard tubes, and more. “And you, Peachy?”

Complimenting the pony seemed to have caused some bewilderment. He inhaled a bit of the burning hot coffee and fell into a coughing fit. Peachy grimaced and gazed at him with a look of concern as he struggled to regain composure.

"Oh dear... Are you alright?"

After a little while, the pony recovered enough to speak again, offering some much needed assurance for Peachy. Goodness gracious that looked painful.

“Oh, nothing to concern yourself with really! Erm, my name is JavaSun. But please just call me Java.”

Peachy's worried expression became a smile and he nodded in acknowledgement. JavaSun was certainly a fitting name. And as Java described his living place, Peachy couldn't help but imagine how splendid such a view must be.

“No worries of to much noise, so it gives me plenty of freedom for a large number of personal projects. And you, Peachy?”

Peachy's eyes darted around as he considered his answer. "I live a couple blocks from my art store in a rather large house. I admit it's more than I need but to be fair, it was inherited by my parents after they retired and downsized."

Upon ending his sentence, Peachy's ear twitched when a familiar voice reach him.

"Do you need me to do anything in specific Mr Keen?"

He turned in the direction of the voice to see Cashmere standing nearby. He displayed a wide grin coupled with a tip of the hat.

"Why hello again, Cashmere. Just take a seat at the client chair and I'll begin painting."

Peachy returned to his chair and levitated the paintbrush towards his paint palette. After dipping the brush in the appropriate shade of light grey, he turned his gaze to Cashmere.

"Me and Java were just on the subject of special talents. So what would yours be, if I may?"

2qdswhx.jpg

"Right.", the unicorn glanced over at the chair and sighed. It was one of those heavy molded chairs they always seem to have in waiting rooms. Both ugly to look at, and uncomfortable to sit on. They could generally be found in the waiting rooms of dentists, doctors, banks, and when he was younger, the principal's offices. Thankfully, unlike those other places, what he was waiting for, would be far less painful. Pocket Change tried his very best to get comfortable on the torturous device, and after finding an suitable spot, he sat and tried his best to smile.

"And here it is! I do hope you like it."

Happy to be finished with the process, the pony quickly removed himself from the chair and made his way over to the artist, "Very nice! But why am I eating..", it took him a moment to realize that he had been munching on his donut during the whole thing. "Ah-heh.", he quickly finished off the few remaining floating crumbs before using his magic to move a few more bits towards the artist. The full payment, and a decent tip. He needed to be careful and not overdo it on his first stop, as there were flowers to purchase, along with rulebooks and modules and anything else he thought would be needed. Maybe something slinky for Moondancer to wear, or maybe a slinky for himself? After all, they not only walk down stairs, be it alone or in pairs, and they do make an slinkity sound!

"I may need of your services in the future, so if you have a business card or other way to contact you, please toss it my way. I may have another subject for you to paint.", little pink and purple hearts popped from his horn as he imagined the most pulchritudinous-pupil-pleasing pony he knew getting her portrait done. "Oh nuts.", he noticed the small pile of hearts as he finished paying. Thankfully a broom wasn't that far from his grasp. "I'll just wait here until the portrait is finished drying. Don't want to risk ruining it."

(Captain's response can go here..)

Once finished there, and after all of his hearts were swept up, the unicorn returned to his seat and did a little pony-watching as he finished off his drink.

Java had actually been thrown back once more, finding it rather odd that this pony seemed to light up at just about anything he said. Maybe he was just one of the happy go lucky sorts? He took another sip of his coffee and slowly took another draw from his coffee.

"I live a couple blocks from my art store in a rather large house. I admit it's more than I need but to be fair, it was inherited by my parents after they retired and downsized."

“Well, can't be all that bad can it,” Java asked with a curious note. His hoof raised up to gesture to the Canvas before letting it dropped. The term rather made it seem like he was living in a house only designed to house a small amount of people, not a large mansion. For an artist, it should be perfect if they were anything like an engineer. Keep every single document, store what ever you can in what space you do have. “After all you need all the space you can get for a workshop or a Studio right?”

His gaze then turned to Cashmere, his eyes dipping below his eye level to take a look at the cutie mark on his flank. He wasn't quite sure about the terms he was using, but he could recognize a dowel of thread and a needle. Maybe something to do with clothing. When his eyes rose back up, his own hoof tapped at his chin again. The style of hair and monocle says that he probably wasn't the average sower. Maybe someone known in fashion magazines?

Sadly when it comes to culture, he's only more aware of art, architecture, and engineering. Anything else would be adding onto an already existing insecurity within Java. “Hm... A fashionable.... clother?”

• 2 weeks later...

pony9.jpg

Cashmere nodded, moving to sit as he was told, taking a sip of his coffee, listening to them talk...and noticed Javasun sort of looking at his flank, while he had no issue with cute stallions oogling, Javasun really wasn't his type, thankfully the comment about special talent severely eased the awkwardness! "Oh my special talent? I make custom fashions" He nodded "Bags, vests...the like " He glanced down at his cutie mark, remembering it fondly "I discovered it when I was a young colt, my mother lives here in Canterlot and she ran a sewing business but her eyes were starting to go...so she had me do the finer details and I quickly developed a passion for it" He took another sip.

"I rather enjoy my work, I run a small boutique in Ponyville!"

Peachy got to work on the painting as Cashmere spoke. Being accustomed to multitasking, he was able to focus on his brush strokes while engaging in the conversation at hoof. Cashmere's story was rather sweet. Sewing the smaller details for his mother due her fading vision and soon developing a love for it. A grin appeared on Peachy's face as he listened and painted.

Upon hearing of Cashmere's boutique, his curiosity was stirred. He took a quick glance at the tailor as he spoke. "I'd be delighted you visit your shop sometime. I'm quite a lover of fashion myself. Though I'm less than adept for creating such things."

After some time has passed, Peachy became less talkative as he applied the finishing touches. Once he felt it was presentable, he turned the canvas around to show his client.

zcashmerefinalresize_zpsb0cb7354.png

"There you go! It still has to dry but that shouldn't take much time. I must say, you make a fine looking portrait." He said with a wink.

Java finally looked up, oblivious to any notions of what he was given, and immediately turned to look down to the portrait that Peachy had been working on. He wasn't to much of one for fashion, but however he did enjoy home décor. It combined the best of several worlds in his own opinion. None of the less, the light chatter went ignored as the stallion instead kept his focus on the painting. But there was something about the painting that had actually captivated the young stallion.

It was not the brush strokes, even when each stroke went well appreciated by the stallion planned or not. It was not even the color choices as Peachy was only painting what he had saw, even if that one pose had only been brief. Each second Javasun had spent looking over each and every bit of detail of this portrait, even while unfinished only boggled him even further. His jaw had even dropped. His head tilted with his messy mane lightly laying a few tendrils of his fur over his eyes and snout.

The stallion before him was absolutely photogenic. And he dared to even admit it openly. An action he usually never takes. “Wow...” the pony mumbled, slowly raising a hoof of to his chin. The look of awe had barely even faded. “That's... just spectacular, Peachy,” he praised. His tone had been dampened by the previous speechlessness he had taken.

His gaze then shifted to Cashmere. His eyes darting back and forth between the two, detecting nearly no differences. “Do you often model your own lineup? I... must say that you are quite,” he paused for a second his eyes shifting back to the painting, “Photogenic. Cute even.”

Cashmeretempbanner_zpse1c43421.png

Cashmere held still the best he could while the other painted "I'd be more than happy to make you a piece! Why with your coloring and darling eyes I'd make such the lovely tan bag with emerald accents, and the softest peach lining! Oh it would be so DASHING on you" He got a little dreamy at the thought of making a lovely saddlebag or perhaps a vest for him... That he was utterly unprepared for the portrait..He looked so classy and refined in it, that it made his face go a slight shade of red.

"Oh..Oh my Mr Keen I'm afraid you'v gone and been far too generous" He chuckled "It's wonderful..thank you" The burning red in his face increasing in degree as the other pony named Javasun also complimented him..Oooh my today was an interesting day indeed "Ah..I do sometimes, in fact Photo Finish once snapped some photos of my line... Thank you very much, you flatter me with such kind words..."

Pony Joe finished setting down a new tray of donuts and turned to work on one of the coffee presses. Business was booming today and the unicorn had barely had time to get things settled. Now there was finally a break in the activity and he could take a breath. It seemed most ponies were satisfied with their coffee and treats but he wanted to make sure everypony had what they wanted. He brushed down the front of his work uniform with a hoof and then moved himself out into the seating area.

"Everypony have what they need? I've got fresh donuts and lots more coffee if anypony wants anything?"

He turned to look at the recently finished portrait. "Wow! You've got some talent there Mr. Keen!" He nodded towards the coffee bar. "You've brought in lots of business for me today. Let me know if I can get you anything."

"Photo Finish...?" Java asked with a curious note. Once again, his ignorance in the world of fashion shined bright again. But, it didn't take much reasoning for Java to take a shot in the dark, and guess that it was a photographer for magazines and posters. "Mmm... well I honestly can believe that..." The pony hummed.

Java slowly turned his attention away from the painting to look to Cashmere. While he may have been oblivious to any prior thoughts or such from the stallion earlier, the eyes of an engineer does not miss much when it comes to scrutiny of apparent details. Even so for the painfully obvious details, like a glowing blush. It took a few moments for it to register however, but when it did, the stallion's lip shifted into a quick devilish smile.

"Well, I do believe that blush works wonders for that look of yours," the stallion teased with a playful note to his tone. His gaze then shifted to back to Pony Joe. "Ah yes, yes, yes! Everything is splendid sir! As always, yes!"

1ktwo.jpg

"Everypony have what they need? I've got fresh donuts and lots more coffee if anypony wants anything?"

Hearing that reminder of why he came to the donut shop in the first place, the uniform-wearing Flash Sentry walked up to Pony Joe to make an order; "Yeah, I'll have two strawberry frosted donuts please. I'd also like a cup of coffee too while I'm here." As Flash made his order, he glimpsed the resident artist finishing another portrait. It looked just as good as the last one, prompting the pegasus to finally give in to temptation. As fast as he could, he wrote his name down on the portrait sign-up sheet in the earliest timeslot available. Being off-duty, PFC. Sentry could afford this detour from his routine.....

(Flash Sentry's sign up will be mentioned after Crystal Snowflake registers. :) )

"I'd be more than happy to make you a piece! Why with your coloring and darling eyes I'd make such the lovely tan bag with emerald accents, and the softest peach lining! Oh it would be so DASHING on you"

Peachy blinked in surprised at such a charitable offer, imagining the saddle bag in his head as Cashmere described it. It would be quite dashing, wouldn't it? "Oh, thank you. That's very generous. And I must say, the design sounds absolutely perfect. You most certainly have an eye for fashion."

When the painting was complete, Peachy was delighted as Cashmere seemed to like it quite a bit. He tipped his hat when Cashmere thanked him and sported a suave smile. "It's my pleasure, love." A hint of amusement appeared on Peachy's face when he noticed the fellow unicorn blushing.

JavaSun seemed rather impressed as well, praising Peachy's work and giving it a close inspection. After glancing from Cashmere to the portrait, Java gave the purple maned unicorn a compliment Peachy didn't quite expect.

“Do you often model your own lineup? I... must say that you are quite... Photogenic. Cute even.”

The already present blush on Cashmere's face burned even more red upon hearing the compliment. Peachy chucked quietly to himself. It was quite an adorable sight. He waggled his eyebrows at Cashmere as if you say "I think he likes you."

"Wow! You've got some talent there Mr. Keen! You've brought in lots of business for me today. Let me know if I can get you anything."

"Thank you, Joe. The pleasure is all mine." Since he had no clients at the moment, Peachy figured taking a little break couldn't hurt. "And yes, I think I'll have a little something now. How about one of those strawberry topped chocolate brownies with a small cup of milk?"

Crystal furrowed her brow. She wasn't used to being entirely ignored. She was somepony important. She had effortlessly demanded the attention of throngs of high class ponies at many a gala or elite soiree. Here, however, it seemed it was to much to even ask for the slightest indication that she had been heard.

She realized that the decision to wander into the shop was a mistake. This sort of common place just wasn't her world anymore. It never truly had been. She had fought so desperately to escape such common things in her youth. She didn't have any intention of letting herself continue to stand there gawking, waiting for the situation to perhaps change either. As she wasn't in the business of repeating herself nor that of making any kind of scene, she resolved to leave that place now as quickly as she had come. She returned in an instant, intent to make a beeline for the door. That was when, finally, somepony did actually approach and greet her, though it was not one to whom she had spoken.

"Miss Snowflake! It's been far too long. How have you been? Oh, I'll be there in a moment! Would you care to meet my daughter? It seems she's calling me."

Crystal took a step back and blinked twice. This was truly a shock. She wouldn't have ever expected to meet someone she would choose to associate here at this utterly common donut shop where customers were treated so rudely, and yet here was the familiar face of the Duchess Silver Belle of Trottingham. The pegasus found herself quite taken aback. It was especially odd since she wasn't aware the Duchess was even in town. Surely they would have met over the past week of fanciful events and not here in this base place? It only stood to reason that the Duchess was arriving in town just now as Crystal was preparing to depart. Regardless, she looked well. Her cloak was simple but not plain; it looked nice, but did not attract so much attention.

"Oh, Duchess Belle, what an unexpected pleasure," she started as she looked over the other important mare. "If I knew you were coming to Canterlot, I'd have made more time for my trip. We'll need to catch up some time," she said with a nod, stowing away all of her frustration of moments ago.

At the question of the other, she gave a small pause. That was right. Duchess Silver Belle had a daughter a few years younger than her own Snowfall. She hadn't ever met the child but she recalled hearing of her. She also recalled hearing of a fine and noble son who served as an officer in the REA.

"Oho, your daughter? I'd be delighted to make her acquaintance. She has to be a more well behaved young thing than my own foolish child," Crystal said with a halfway amused laugh.

It was then as the Duchess went to her daughter that Crystal again felt out of place in the shop. Her eyes searched awkwardly as she moved toward the duchess and her daughter and eventually she again noticed the artist she had before, only now there were customers returning from his simple stand with portraits, and portraits of no simple quality. What a unfortunate soul this was. He had clear talent, and yet here he was making his way in this place. She felt a miss of pity and curiosity. He seemed to work quick, and without needing a still model and Crystal had a bold hair. She decided then to stop by his workspace before continuing her chance meeting with the Duchess and her daughter.

"If you will, I will have a portrait, good sir," she said in a stern and simple voice as she retrieved a small but fine sapphire and placed it before the artist in payment.

"If you will, I will have a portrait, good sir,"

The stunningly dressed pegasus from earlier had approached his stand. Peachy was about to engage in his usual greeting when a small sapphire was placed on the counter. Today the portraits were free, but this mare's disposition demanded nothing short of respect. If he insisted on no payment, it might convey the wrong message. He had to be mindful during his reply.

Peachy grinned and tipped his hat. "Yes of course, miss. I would be more than happy to paint your portrait. However, they happen to be free at the moment so no payment is required." He motioned his hoof towards the client chair. "Simply take a seat over there and I'll get right to work."

VdxHNYE.jpg

“Nice seeing you too, Presteza,” Flash greeted back, even as Punk Walker’s voice boomed; “Sorry we couldn’t talk more last time.”

"DO NUT FEAR, CITIZENS OF CANTERLOT! BEHOLD! PUNK HATH ARRIVED TO SAVE THEE FROM THE VICIOUS AND UNHEALTHY TREATS! CLEAR THE WAY!"

The Mare levitated her hat off of her head towards a nearby hat rack,"Wot have ya been up ta since I --" Suddenly the mare's question was interrupted by the loud and boisterous entrance of a stallion;None other than Punk Walker. Presteza hadn't gotten to meet Punk Walker since she was a little filly when she was allowed to socialize with the members of the walker family during their own younger days. Back then she was quite a different little pony, she was more composed and almost un-enthused. Back then she also was a lot more prim and proper looking she shouldn't have been surprised seeing that Punk Didn't recognize her.

"I got to say that it's a lovely mare you've found yourself. And here was I was, almost starting to think that you weren't into mares. Congratulations!"

What Presteza was surprised by was that Punk had mistaken her for Flash's Marefriend! This idea in and of itself wasn't really offensive. Flash was kinda cute in that... hopeless, nearly incompetent, Bumbling military kind of way, the only problem was that Presteza was currently involved with a suave and sophisticated pony by the name of Merlot. What she found even odder was that Flash didn't openly deny a romantic relationship between the two of them... at least until she remembered something that Punk's own sister had told her. That something being that Punk could be a shameless flirt in addition to his boastful qualities.

Presteza decided to keep the fact she wasn't flash's special somepony on the down low for now. However, she didn't think it could hurt to jog Punk's memory about who she was,"Nice Ta see ya again, Punk! I'm not sure ya remember me but we've met before when we were younger. I'm Presteza, General Brougham's daughter!"

JWdXRQO.jpg

"Oh, Duchess Belle, what an unexpected pleasure," she started as she looked over the other important mare. "If I knew you were coming to Canterlot, I'd have made more time for my trip. We'll need to catch up some time," she said with a nod, stowing away all of her frustration of moments ago.

"Oho, your daughter? I'd be delighted to make her acquaintance. She has to be a more well behaved young thing than my own foolish child,"

Crystal's words brought a smile to the Duchess' muzzle,"We can't catch up now? This place has a pretty cozy atmosphere... if not for it's owner either ignoring or not hearing your order I'd say it'd be the perfect place for a chat! Speaking of your order..."

Once she let the other patrons have their chance Belle took a deep breath and put on a rather stern and displeased looking face. Approaching the counter she raised her voice with a loud,"AHEM!" to get Donut Joe's attention. Putting a hoof on the counter she glared fiercely at the stallion but kept her perfectly calm and composed demeanor about her,"Sir... What kind of establishment are you running here? Is Miss Snowflake not worthy of your attention sir? All she asked for was an Eclair, one of the strawberry cake donuts and some water. Not only did you not listen to her order but you ignored her questions too... I'd figured a shop owner in Canterlot of all places could at the very least be civil." Haven given Joe a piece of her mind, Belle returned to her friend with her kind smile once again on her face. "Anyway, Miss Snowflake. Where were we? Oh yes you wanted to meet My daighter. I'm Surprised that Snowfall has been giving you trouble. I thought she was doing a bang up job of running the company and she seemed so well mannered. Really the worst trouble I could imagine is... I don't know, getting foalnapped or something." said the silver coated mare with a playful little chuckle. Really though what were the odds of a pony like Snowfall, the CEO of a major company would be kidnapped? one in a million perhaps?

"Anyway... My daughter turned out a little different then when she was a filly." Belle pointed a hoof to the cream colored mare with the unkempt white mane and freckles. "She's an artist now. She's gotten to spending time with the more... common members of Equestria latel---" suddenly a loud voice erupted from the door, a red maned pegasus accompanying it.

"DO NUT FEAR, CITIZENS OF CANTERLOT! BEHOLD! PUNK HATH ARRIVED TO SAVE THEE FROM THE VICIOUS AND UNHEALTHY TREATS! CLEAR THE WAY!"

"Isn't that one of Brass hat's foals?" thought belle to herself. He looked vaguely familiar but he definitely didn't seem the kid of pony who was raised by the illustrious major and his strict methods of upbringing. He did seem pretty content to start chewing the fat with her daughter and the nice looking stallion at her side,"Well it looks like we might be meeting more than just her... quite the magnetic personality she has... It must run in the family." the mare giggled to herself with the last statement and punctuated it with an elegant flip of her luxurious silver mane.

Leading Crystal to the small group she gestured to the mare in the jacket, "Miss Snowflake. Presteza. Presteza. Miss Snowflake." Presteza's ears perked up a bit as she herd her mother introducing her, turning towards the mare in question she bowed politely,"Nice ta meet you, Miss Snowflake." As Presteza looked over Snowflake she noticed that there was a sign that said 'Peachy's Portraits'. Peachy... that name sounded so familiar. After scanning the Restaurant once her eyes widened as she saw a familiar sight; bright green eyes, a bright almost peach tinged shade of pink coat. "Um... Miss Snowflake, Mum, I'll be back in a sec."

approaching the artist shortly Snowflake she stood close to the desk and narrowed her eyes at Peachy. She moved her head around as if trying to catch a glance at Peachy from several different angles, The look in the freckled mare's eyes was intense; the kind of intensity that made one wonder if the eyes bearing it had the power to melt butter just by looking at it. After several different iterations on the monosyllabic expression of 'hm' the mare pulled back and her lips curled into a smile, "Say... Mister keen. Ya wouldn't happen ta remember a certain filly by the name Presteza, would ya?" asked the silver maned pony in a sly sounding tone.

After conducting her examination of Keen she had no doubts. This was the same Peachy that she'd met multiple times in Canterlot as a filly, the memories were still fresh in Pressy's mind. When she was a filly and her parents would often take her to the multiple extravagant parties held by the Canterlot elite, Presteza would always beg to see Peachy's family arts and crafts store. Even back then when she didn't realize painting was her calling she always was drawn to the arts and often wound up buying tons of books on the history of famous artists, getting quality paper and the best pencils to sketch on, and even spending some time to chat with the colt who was always helping her find the stuff in particular she was looking for. Whether he remembered Pressy or not, she was determined to find out. If Peachy had forgotten... well she'd be kind of miffed but on the bright side she could get to know him all over again! Since Snowflake had yet to take her seat she could only hope she had enough time!

Pre-existing relation with Peachy keen approved by Cap'n Mcderp.

The already present blush on Cashmere's face burned even more red upon hearing the compliment. Peachy chucked quietly to himself. It was quite an adorable sight. He waggled his eyebrows at Cashmere as if you say "I think he likes you."

While waiting for a reaction from cashmere, he'd glance away for only a moment to take another sip from his coffee mug. His lips had only neared the rim when he caught Peachy's strange eye gesture to Cashmere. He looked to the pink stallion with a blank expression. The gears slowly creaking into action as he tried to figure out what he was doing. Then it hit him, HARD. The pony's face soon flushed a deep sanguine red. His head quickly snapped up into the air, just slightly higher than his tail. “Oh! Uhm... are you suggesting...” he trailed off for a moment as his eyes rolled to the side in thought. What ever he said, he knew could easily be used against him. “Erm... teasing... is all.” He paused... looking between the both of them with the same expression. Then out came another nervous, “yes.” But the meaning of it was not clearly defined. Weather it was a “yes” as in that's my story and “stickin to it,” or a “Yes” as in, “I do”; the world will never know. And after realizing what he had said, the pony's blush grew much brighter as he quickly dipped his head down to take in long gulp from his mug.

,"AHEM!" to get Donut Joe's attention. Putting a hoof on the counter she glared fiercely at the stallion but kept her perfectly calm and composed demeanor about her,"Sir... What kind of establishment are you running here? Is Miss Snowflake not worthy of your attention sir? All she asked for was an Eclair, one of the strawberry cake donuts and some water. Not only did you not listen to her order but you ignored her questions too... I'd figured a shop owner in Canterlot of all places could at the very least be civil."

The sudden sharp noise that came from Crystal Belle, caused the pony's eye brow to raise in mid swig. His head rose from the cup once more to look across the shop to the disturbance. Those hyper aware eyes danced around for just a moment before finally landing on what may have been the source. His happy go lucky expression was soon misshapen and warped with a disappointed frown. A pompous mare with a stick up the dark end seemed to be chewing out the owner of his favorite coffee stop. His gaze never left them. Not till it was over of course. He looked down to his mug, and slowly shook his head, before turning back to the Dutchess.

“Hey now! Cut the fellah some slack,” Java called out with an annoyed look. He had to force himself to slow down so she could understand him, but the jitteryness of pint up caffeinated energy still showed with a rattling mug. However, after allowing his feelings of distaste to become evident, a small southern like draw had actually escaped from his lips.

He'd turn just slightly from his table to look directly to her, “This place has only been open for an hour or two, and it's been swarmed. He's the only stallion here cooking, taking orders, and serving. For a blue coat, I'd figure you'd be more respectful, mi'lady.”

Donuts! That would complete a trip to Canterlot. His saddlebags were packed with the sun in his eyes, and a sword on his side. But one last stop and catching the next train wouldn't harm anypony. This donut place was supposed to be good anyway, the baker who ran the donut store was supposed to be a donut prodigy and Dunder could appreciate the skills of others in something the pegasus lacked himself. Baking was never his strong suit.

He was trotting towards the shop when he first considered entering. In front of the establishment was when he decided that heading in would be worth the few bits for a donut and a drink. But when he entered, he didn't expect see what was waiting inside. An artist, and a cute one at that, at a desk with a sign reading "Peachy's Portraits." The pegasus hadn't had any art done of him in a while, and a few more bits to get a portrait done. Seems like he had a client at the moment, but they hadn't commenced the drawing part. He quickly made his way over, his sword held by belt around the waist swaying in tandem with his trot.

He approached the desk of Keen, smiling as he did. "Hey, cutie." Dunder said to the artist unicorn while reaching into a saddlebag. "Maybe I could trouble you to get me on your list for portraits?" He asked while summoning a few bits from one of his saddlebag pouches. He took a quick check of the quantity of the bits and laid down the 7 on the table.

"Anyway, I'll leave you to it." He said with a smiling glance at the two ponies before trotting off. He recognized two ponies in the other crowd. Pressy and Pocket. Those ponies seemed to be everywhere. He would make sure to say hi to Pressy, but he chose to go to Pocket. Dunder trotted up behind the pony and pat the unicorn on the back, "Hey! How's it going?" Dunder said to the unicorn. Dunder was very familiar with this stallion's sister, but he wanted to get to know Pocket a little better.

2qdswhx.jpg

Once properly situated back at his table, Pocket Change noticed that there were now a good deal more ponies at the donut shop than there were when he first arrived. While he wanted to head off to purchase more goodies for his friends and family, the unicorn decided to take it easy for a moment and wait for his painting to dry. "Hmmm. Spinal Clop lost another drummer. That band must be cursed.", he thought to himself as he scanned a newspaper that had been left on his table. After grumbling about the nerve about ponies having the nerve to own different opinions than he, the stallion glanced up and noticed that a fellow guild member was nearby, and it was the ever so delightful Presteza and an older, more elegant looking mare, who was probably either her mother or aunt. Actually, he was very sure he had seen that mare before. It was Duchess Silver Belle from Trottingham. He was very sure that his own mother had plans to write about the wealthy socialite before she became distracted by another subject.

While he did want to speak to Presteza, it appeared that she was already in the middle of a conversation with both her mother and yet another ostentatious looking mare. Being a proper Canterlot pony, Pocket Change decided that he would be polite and proper and would wait, so it was back to his newspaper. He nearly dropped his drink as a Pegasi nearly startled him. "Eh. Oh hey...", he glanced up and stared directly at Dunder, adventurer, chef and colt-friend of his sister? Actually, were they dating? He knew she had spent some time with him awhile back, and she had spoken well of the brown stallion, but was she actually seeing him?

"Oh, hello there Dunder.", the white unicorn smiled back at the stallion, "Just doing a little shopping for some friends and family, and I thought a donut or two would be a nice way to start the day. I see you noticed the artist there offering portraits.", he glanced over towards the pony who was busy working on another picture, "Hope you took him up on his offer. I'm currently waiting for my picture to dry. Thought it would be a nice little gift for my very special some-pony.", he sighed happily as he spoke the last word. "So, how are you doing?"

Peachy returned to his seat and began preparing the necessary supplies. He glanced from Miss Crystal Snowflake to the palette as he mixed the proper colors. Peachy was so focused on his task he didn't notice a stallion had approached him.

"Hey, cutie. Maybe I could trouble you to get me on your list for portraits?"

His eyes shot upwards upon hearing the compliment. A muscular brown pegasus stood on the other side of the desk, adorned with a sword at his belt. Oh. He was quite the handsome fellow, wasn't he? Peachy gave a flirtatious grin. "Why yes, of course you can, love."

He noticed several bits had been placed on the table and looked up to tell the pegasus portraits were free today. However, his future client had already excuse himself and was walking away from the stand.

"Anyway, I'll leave you to it."

"Wait..." By the time he spoke, the pegasus was already having a chat with Pocket Change. Peachy shrugged to himself. He'll just return them once the pegasus came back for the portrait. He levitated his quill over to the sign up list, but realized he didn't know the stallion's name yet. Oh well. "Light brown pegasus" would work as a place holder.

As he wrote, he noticed something on the sign up sheet. The words "Flash Sentry" were written in a style far different from his. This Flash fellow must have added himself to the list while Peachy was focused on something else. He hoped he didn't ignore the pony by accident.Just as he finished writing, he heard a strangely familiar voice.

"Say... Mister keen. Ya wouldn't happen ta remember a certain filly by the name Presteza, would ya?"

Peachy's eyes widened in surprise when his vision was met with an old childhood friend. A huge grin adorned his features. "Pressy! Of course I remember you. I never forget a face after all. Especially one as stunning as yours, love." He ended his sentence with a wink before stepping from the stand and giving her a brief hug. "So how have you been?"

His ear twitched as Java's voice caught his attention. It sounded like he was giving somepony a piece of his mind. However, when Peachy took a quick glance in his direction, he realized it wasn't just any pony. It was Pressy's mother! Oh dear, this is kind of awkward. He quickly veered he attention back to his old friend, trying to disregard the conflict as he listened for a response.

"Yes of course, miss. I would be more than happy to paint your portrait. However, they happen to be free at the moment so no payment is required. Simply take a seat over there and I'll get right to work."

"If not a payment, consider it a gratuity, dear. I insist," she said, shaking her head at the words spoken to her by the artist. "I have always felt that quality work demands something in return. I won't hear a word otherwise,"

She spoke with finality and then moved to the chair indicated, which was near enough Duchess Belle that the conversation could continue. She looked up at her as she started to speak.

"We can't catch up now? This place has a pretty cozy atmosphere... if not for it's owner either ignoring or not hearing your order I'd say it'd be the perfect place for a chat! Speaking of your order...AHEM! Sir... What kind of establishment are you running here? Is Miss Snowflake not worthy of your attention sir? All she asked for was an Eclair, one of the strawberry cake donuts and some water. Not only did you not listen to her order but you ignored her questions too... I'd figured a shop owner in Canterlot of all places could at the very least be civil."

Crystal was taken aback by what her old friend happened to do for her sake. It put her in an odd position in a lot of ways. It called attention to the fact that she was here, in this common place and had made such an... uncharacteristic order in the first place. Moreover, Crystal was not a shy mare. On another day, in another place she would have called out somepony who ignored her herself and with louder and harsher words than the Duchess used. She was wholly unused to having somepony else speak up for her. It didn't fit well on her, but at the same time, she couldn't be angry with Silver. She had done it for Crystal's sake after all. when it happened to cause a scene, however, Crystal felt somewhat guilty.

“Hey now! Cut the fellah some slack. This place has only been open for an hour or two, and it's been swarmed. He's the only stallion here cooking, taking orders, and serving. For a blue coat, I'd figure you'd be more respectful, mi'lady.

She looked at the stallion who had saw it fit to say these words with disdain. Here Silver had taken note of her poor treatment and called the proprietor out on it. Whatever other feelings it provoked, the intention was clearly a display of protective good will for an old friend. That some simple stallion had the very nerve to sit there and call Silver out on her most benevolent display made Crystal angry. Angrier in fact than being ignored had. She stood from her seat and took a step toward the stallion and stood proudly as she spoke in a firm tone.

"Excuse me, sir! You talk of respect, but have you none? What right do you claim to speak so to a Trottingham Duchess, especially as she stands up for the sake of another!" she spoke. "I don't know if things are different for such a common establishment, but I personally see no excuses for poor service. If I am not to be attended to, then my bits are best spent elsewhere. It's a simple matter.If Duchess Belle wishes to call them out on their error, it is entirely within her right!"

"Anyway, Miss Snowflake. Where were we? Oh yes you wanted to meet My daighter. I'm Surprised that Snowfall has been giving you trouble. I thought she was doing a bang up job of running the company and she seemed so well mannered. Really the worst trouble I could imagine is... I don't know, getting foalnapped or something. Anyway... My daughter turned out a little different then when she was a filly. She's an artist now. She's gotten to spending time with the more... common members of Equestria latel---"

Crystal calmed down at these words. Yes, that was probably enough. What was the point in continuing such an incident. It was neither here nor there really. it got no one anything, and the company of her good friend was worth far more than anything else here.

She laughed at the comments about her daughter. Foalnapped? Now that was a thought! That sort of thing didn't happen in this day and age, did it? The Duchess truly had a more creative imagination than she had remembered! When it came to the comments about Silver's own daughter however, Crystal was somewhat surprised. An artist? That was interesting. There truly wasn't much money in such things unless you had vision. It seemed an appropriate enough occupation for the daughter of nobility though, but Silver's reaction to it spoke to the fact that she didn't exactly approve.

"I think its in all children to find a way to reject us somehow," she said reflectively. "It may indeed be that Snowfall has done a commendable job of following her father's example into the world of business, but that doesn't mean her sweet head hasn't been addled by a particular and unfortunate brand of rebellion."

"If your Presteza can just find a respectable stallion, I think you should be proud yet," she said with a conclusive nod. "There are days where I would welcome Snowfall shirking her duties at NSI to pursue some fool dream if she would just take a moment to rethink her choices in love," she added, speaking in a steady tone even as she noticed Silver bringing the young mare toward her.

"Miss Snowflake. Presteza. Presteza. Miss Snowflake."

"Nice ta meet you, Miss Snowflake."

"And you as well, Presteza," she said as she greeted the young mare. "Though it is not truly a first meeting. You were so small though, last we met, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't recall it..." she said, reminiscing. "I imagine your brother might recall having my Snowfall for a playmate"

She gave a laugh, but the young mare seemed to spy someone and hardly seemed to interested in hearing an older mare talk.

"Um... Miss Snowflake, Mum, I'll be back in a sec."

Crystal wasn't surprised to hear these words. She just smiled and let the young pony go on her way. "We never can keep them in one place very long," she commented, shaking her head as she looked back at the Duchess and casually took her seat back where the young painter had indicated.

• 2 weeks later...

Peachy returned to his seat and began the task of painting as he continued his conversation with Presteza. Wouldn't want to keep Miss Snowflake waiting, after all. Besides, he's become quie adept to multitasking in his manner so it shouldn't be a complication.

Peachy was extra careful with this portrait since Miss Snowflake insisted on paying him. But after awhile, he realized he's spent more time on this one than the others today. Making countless revisions while trying to capture the true essence of this highly dignified mare. He often squinted his eyes and leaned back to get an overall view before making even more edits. After so many revisions, he was starting to feel a bit antsy, but when he leaned back one last time and gazed at the portrait, a smile appeared on his face. Finally it was ready. He turned the canvas around to face the mare with a sympathetic grin on his face.

snowflakefinalresize2_zps6a3828bf.png

"My apologies for the long wait, Miss. I do hope you find it worth the time."

He glanced at the sign up list to see a pony named Flash Sentry was written after Crystal Snowflake. He scanned the crowd, looking for a response as he called their name.

"Flash Sentry, you're up next!"

The pony tilted his head slowly, a smile slowly creeping into his lips as he listened to the retort of another pony. "I have no respect? To whom I show respect to is dignified by my own whims. If I feel you are undeserving of it after unsteeling your nerves to tell off a pony who has worked harder than possibly the both of you combined, then I won't show you any, which I believe I haven't done so yet. After all, I am not flitting insults through the air quite yet. But, I do give you my... ah, above minimum respect miss if it's for the status of your name," The pony sighed. His coffee mug was grasped with both hooves once agan, and another slow draw was taken from it. Java did take a moment to savor the taste of it, now that it was no longer at a boiling hot temperature, he could actually taste the rich flavor of a black coffee with absolutely no sugar. Still the best in town, he thought to himself.

Once the artist had finished his work, he did take the moment to peak over his shoulder. He did his best to prevent himself from recoiling in shock. He only made the slightest visible fidget after looking at the newest master piece. The creation was not horrible, no far from it. In fact, it was just as good as all the rest. It was... the feeling from the painting. The mare on the canvas looked incredibly angry, and stern at the same time. It was almost as if she were about to pull herself out of the canvas to give him the most passive aggressive speech he has ever heard in his life. Starting off with an all to recognizable, “ONE SHOULD REMEMBER.” A small shudder did creep past the pony when he recalled his grandmother from his own mother's side. She always seemed to have an endless supply of yard sticks and switches for when ever he faulted in the middle of his etiquette training. Nobility, something Java really wanted to stay away from... especially if this, this painting, would be the result of himself in an opposite gender. But then a sudden pain hit his heart. He had did his best to remain detach from that life style. It's gone so far to the point where he hasn't even spoken to her in the past several years. How selfish. How cruel he had been to not visit on such accounts. His expression soften some as he did give the painting another look. His head dipped down for a moment, giving it a light shake after his ears fell back.

Wow..... Peachy... I... suddenly want to write to my grandm-” he cut himself off quickly after realizing he was now about to play with fire. His head lifted up and his eyes quickly darted back to the recipient of the painting, hoping she hadn't caught on to what may have been an offense. “Erm... my mother's folks. Maybe a visit is in order... yes...”

Archived