Intermission: Worst Episode

Of the episodes below, which most needs to be at least 20% cooler?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Of the episodes below, which most needs to be at least 20% cooler?

• Owl's Well That Ends Well
    • Griffon the Brush Off
    • The Show Stoppers
    • A Bird in the Hoof
    • Feeling Pinkie Keen

KyCsr.png

Some episodes you can't help but like. Others, you love, but why can't the be more like their sisters? This is the vote to determine which episode is most in need of 20% coolerness.

Maybe your lest favorite episode isn't here? Well, don't blame me, blame science. These episodes received the least amount of votes in each 1st round poll (there was a tie for least in one poll, thus we have 5 options here). One vote for this poll, and it's only open for 3 days, part of which will run concurrent with the best episode polling.

WE VOTE! 8-)

Augh, some of my most beloved episodes are here! Show Stoppers! Pinkie Keen! Griffon the Brush Off! It's a damn travesty, and this poll breaks my heart and the heart of many others out there as well. But it must be done. We need to show that dirty loser episode what's what, yeah?

Easy vote for me: Owl's Well That Ends Well. I rewatched it, and it's not as terrible as I remember it being, but it's still not up to the standard of the series, IMO.

Augh, some of my most beloved episodes are here! Show Stoppers! Pinkie Keen! Griffon the Brush Off! It's a damn travesty, and this poll breaks my heart and the heart of many others out there as well. But it must be done. We need to show that dirty loser episode what's what, yeah?

Easy vote for me: Owl's Well That Ends Well. I rewatched it, and it's not as terrible as I remember it being, but it's still not up to the standard of the series, IMO.

With the exception of Pinkie Keen, I agree with everything in your post.

Owls Well was just okay. Nothing stands out as great, except maybe Scootaloo's hero worship of Dash, but the rest... ehh. And the overuse of the damn "Who?" joke :roll:

Pinkie Keen may have annoyed me, but it had some really good moments too, balancing it out.

I voted Show Stoppers. The CMC are just never as compelling as the Mane six to me. I remember being a little annoyed having to watch Show Stoppers immediately after Stare Master first time I watched the show. On it's own though, Show Stoppers might actually be the best CMC episode, so I do feel at least a little bad for voting for it.

I get why Owl's Well that Ends Well is getting the votes here, but I was really kind of grateful to get a Spike centric episode. It isn't the best episode, but I do think it was needed and I was happy to have it.

Griffon the Brush Off doesn't deserve to be here. That episode and Gilda are awesome.

What's A Bird In the Hoof doing here though? :? That's one of my favorite episodes. :sniff:

It didn't get enough votes in the best episode polling.

Admittedly, this is a rather crappy way to determine "worst episode." The methodology is terribly broken, and a polarizing episode wouldn't find its way down here, even if it might get a plurality of "worst" votes simply because it managed a plurality of "best" votes as well. Plurality is kinda a crappy way to set up a voting system, but a pairwise comparison of all episodes would take 312 polls (sum of all unique 2 episode pairings = 25+24+23...+3+2+1 = 312).

I figured we already had a polling bracket set up tht gives us some information, so we might as well use that to produce another poll.

I suspect there would be little patience for a full "worst episode" bracket.

I voted Show Stoppers. The CMC are just never as compelling as the Mane six to me. I remember being a little annoyed having to watch Show Stoppers immediately after Stare Master first time I watched the show. On it's own though, Show Stoppers might actually be the best CMC episode, so I do feel at least a little bad for voting for it.

I get why Owl's Well that Ends Well is getting the votes here, but I was really kind of grateful to get a Spike centric episode. It isn't the best episode, but I do think it was needed and I was happy to have it.

Griffon the Brush Off doesn't deserve to be here. That episode and Gilda are awesome.

Yes this is it that's exactly how I felt. Every word x3

Bird on a hoof was great for the same reasons that Doc Hoof MD said also we got the ever lasting meme from it along with on Owls well that ends well with the dastardly spike. I personally enjoyed that episode because it was nice not to totally focus on the Mane 6.

What's A Bird In the Hoof doing here though? :? That's one of my favorite episodes. :sniff:

It didn't get enough votes in the best episode polling.

Yes, I'm just surprised it got so little love.

Reminds me of the time Applejack and Rarity got less votes than Trixie and Luna in a Equestria Daily Poll. :scream:

That stung. :evil:

Actually, while I'm at it, let me express my feelings on the other episodes up there.

Griffon The Brush-Off: A pretty good episode, if only with a rather underdeveloped antagonist. Gilda comes off as too much of a one-timer, because A. She's the only Griffon we've ever seen on the show.

B. Episode 23 was a great opportunity to make her show up again, but she didn't (then again the episode was pretty ambitious for what it was, so there may have just not been enough time or resources to make it happen).

She's kinda like a "monster-of-the-week", except with a variation.

Still, I liked the humour of the episode.

The Show Stoppers: This episode. I'll admit, 2 episodes with the cutie mark crusaders was...agonizing, in a way. Specifically because they're written in a way that would make people scream at the TV for the ineptitude shown to handle a situation properly. "B-but they're kids, kids are like that!" No, and even if they were it doesn't make for good television.

Of course, this is Friendship is Magic, so the crusaders aren't that bad. And they're so adorable at times, especially Sweetie Belle.

Still this episode's problem was that it came directly after an episode focusing on the same characters with the same...issue, which usually elicits a feeling of staleness when it happens in too many doses. You could say the same problem happened with Green isn't your Color happening right after A Dog And Pony Show(Both focus on Rarity), except those have a completely different dynamic, and therefore aren't weighted down by staleness as much.

A Bird In the Hoof: This shouldn't be here dagnabbit! Even the characters that don't play an important role are well represented here, except maybe Rarity. Philomena is hilarious and the antics shown are some of the best of the season.

But apparently that's just me. :|

Feeling Pinkie Keen: If Pinkie's words near the end (You have to take a leap of faith!) had just been slightly altered, the episode would leave less of an aftertaste of not-so-subtle religious beliefs overcoming rational thought and more of a subtle recommendation that clingling to hope is not a bad thing.

Actually, no, that episode was pretty much screwed when it came to the lesson. But at least the antics were funny. And the return of Derpy was very much a moment of awesome.

The only episode I dislike to any real degree is Owl's Well That Ends Well. Here we had a Spike-centric episode at last and we didn't see any real development of his character at all. There was so much opportunity to cover his history with Twilight and how she came to value him, as well as his feelings in the fears of being replaced but all of that was missed. All we got was Spike being all emo and jealous for 20 minutes and the Owl as a character was uninteresting, and felt almost like a one shot even if the episode implies they wouldn't be a regular assistant to Twilight.

I enjoyed The Show Stoppers more than the preceding episode of The Stare Master, but I believe it got a bad wrap because it was the second cutiemark crusader episode in a role with he CMC playing essentially the same story for their part and lead to some backlash against a group who isn't particularly popular (as a group at least). In itself I though the episode was pretty cute, I just wish it was spaced a little more.

Pinkie Keen: I'm as staunchly atheist as they come, but I didn't have a problem with Pinkie Keen's message. Partly because it fits well in a world where there ARE magic and the ARE gods, so it makes sense internally. Also because literally speaking, faith is valuable. It needn't be faith in a god or higher power. The complexity and controversy of this episode's message is its greatest strength. "Explode twice" and canon Derpy was just gravy

A Bird in the Hoof: I didn't like Philomena. It just irritated me. He's incredibly cool looking in his rebirth form though.

Show Stoppers: Its timing was its only problem. That hardly warrants it being listed among the worst. In retrospect, most people like it.

The episode I think most deserved to be here beyond Owl's Well is Over a Barrel. Starting with that weird horse-drawn train, and moving into another White Guilt story (although handled better than most, I must confess), and introducing a setting which felt out of place... Bleh. But those buffalo are really cool looking.

hi hi

Show stoppers wouldn't have been so painful to me if they'd let Madeleine Peters sing the song not so horribly. But even so, it wasn't my least favorite episode. I might have said Owls Well That Ends Well, but the scene where they're all standing there watching the meteor shower totally blew me away. I still tear up when I watch it...

I guess the "honor," falls to Bird in the Hoof... It felt like they had rushed to get it out the door or something. I dunno, it wasn't horrible or anything, just lacked a certain polish I guess.

What's my least favorite episode? Feeling Pinkie Keen? Which episode needs to be at 20% cooler? I voted Owls Wells That Ends Well. It really isn't the same question. Feeling Pinkie Keen is my least favorite because of the it's structure compared to other episodes, but I don't think it needs to be 'better.' They could've done a lot more with Owls Well That Ends Well.

Also, what's wrong with Over a Barrel? It's introduces a new pony community (very well), there's Braeburn, the conflict between the species was kept with strong tension, even though its just a cartoon, Rainbow Dash was freakin' adorable in this episode, and it's really the only episode where lower-tiered characters make a bigger difference in the actual plot of the episode. Sure Pinkie's song leaves something to be desired, but it's not that bad. It was meant to be unliked, and if more was added to the song, it could've been a great song.

What made me love Over a Barrel even more after the fact was listening to a rip of it's soundtrack. Listening to it made the me appreciate the episode even more.

(try listening to it without the video.)

I was torn between "Owls Well What Ends Well" and "Griffon The Brush Off" which is kind of an odd comment since we're voting for least liked episode. Allow me to elaborate...

The "Griffon The Brush Off" episode has perhaps one of my most disliked characters in the show. I realize I might bring some fury down on myself for this, but I really really dislike Gilda. I will blatantly admit that a huge part of my dislike for Gilda comes from her making Fluttershy cry. The episode was awesome with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash pulling pranks on everypony in town and I honestly thought it would end up with them pulling one prank too many and having to apologize and learn a lesson from it. But then came in Gilda and made Fluttershy cry. I realize though that since we are voting on episodes based on the episode's story, development and entertainment value (at least I think we are, right?), I cannot justify voting this episode as being bad solely on my dislike of Gilda making Fluttershy cry. As such, I voted for the next episode on my list.

The "Owls Well That Ends Well" episode, although it carries a very good message in my opinion, I felt was just a sort of rushed filler episode in an attempt to give more air time to Spike before the season ended. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, I love the little guy, but he deserved a better episode than that. It felt predictable and it felt rushed, and I realize that makes sense seeing as the show is only 22 minutes long. Perhaps the episode felt rushed because of its message, how jealousy and lies don't mix well with friends, which although a very good message to have is, in my opinion, on par with the proverbial dead horse, that the episode felt rushed. This in turn made it predictable seeing as the first 3 minutes were enough to hint to what was going to happen. In all honesty, when I sat down to watch it the first time, it felt more like a chore than the love and entertainment feeling I get when I watch the show, and is the only episode in the season to which I can say I had that feeling towards. This was enough for the scales to tip in its favor.

Yeah What the hoof? :scream: it's one of the best episodes, and the ending is just so unexpected!! Also, I dare you vote "A bird in the hoof" after looking at this

3ybrl.png

Seriously... how could you?!?!?

Also, I can't just make my mind up about this.

There really isn't a BAD episode, nor anything you'd call "the least good" of the series. Every episode has ups, and maybe downs, but mostly ups.

"Owl's well that ends well" puts alot of feelings, despite the blandness of the Owl. I like when things get a bit... sensitive. Gave Spike way more depth. So duh... can't choose.

I'd say "Over a barrel" maybe, because I didn't really like the buffalos, and it was a bit predictable... still, AGAIN, not a BAD episode.

Confound these ponies!

The "Griffon The Brush Off" episode has perhaps one of my most disliked characters in the show. I realize I might bring some fury down on myself for this, but I really really dislike Gilda. I will blatantly admit that a huge part of my dislike for Gilda comes from her making Fluttershy cry. The episode was awesome with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash pulling pranks on everypony in town and I honestly thought it would end up with them pulling one prank too many and having to apologize and learn a lesson from it. But then came in Gilda and made Fluttershy cry. I realize though that since we are voting on episodes based on the episode's story, development and entertainment value (at least I think we are, right?), I cannot justify voting this episode as being bad solely on my dislike of Gilda making Fluttershy cry. As such, I voted for the next episode on my list.

This is right, I really don't like Gilda character and really thought about voting for this episode but story was good here.

My vote goes for Owl's well that ends well i was at all disappointed after this episode (And I love Owls, lawl).

The Show Stoppers is episode that I really enjoyed and I liked it, maybe cause its have one of my favorite songs in MLP FiM.

I realize though that since we are voting on episodes based on the episode's story, development and entertainment value (at least I think we are, right?), I cannot justify voting this episode as being bad solely on my dislike of Gilda making Fluttershy cry.

You can vote an episode down for any reason you like.

Gilda's easy to hate, which makes her a great villain. I feel the same way about the Great and Powerful Trixie.