Fair Weather Friends

Hippo

Who would have won the running of the leaves if Rainbow Dash and Applejack played fair?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who would have won the running of the leaves if Rainbow Dash and Applejack played fair?

• Applejack
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Some other pony

I was wondering what everypony thinks. A realistic running of the leaves RP is bound to happen this fall (crosses fingers), so I wondered what everyone would think if AJ and RD played by the rules.

I will enable the poll for 10 days.

Applejack, since they're on the ground.

As fast as Rainbow Dash is, being a pegasus, she lacks the strength and stamina of an earth pony and is just not nearly as used to running on her hooves.

You, people, you don't trust Rainbow's skill at all. I feel ashamed for all of you! :D

Nah. Personally, I go with Rainbow Dash, given that she is more of a professional athlete than Applejack; AJ also has what it takes, but she lacks the natural speed and light weight of a pegasus. Their endurance must be quite similar - they both excercise daily.

I can say without fear of favour that, if anyone, then Dash would have won. I'd rather not choose, though.

Okay, I might be a tiny bit biased.

I don't particularly believe that long-distance running's primary requirement would be a large amount of muscle, and I highly doubt that having such would make a difference, given that they are both sporty enough. I base that on what I know about humans and my personal experience, so feel free to correct me. :P

About her stamina - I think she (the one to create a Sonic Rainboom) has trained enough to be able to stand her ground against anypony stamina-wise. They were both running till the end, after all.

As of now, it seems I'm alone with my opinion. And yet again, I wrote a book-sized comment. o.o

Applejack, because they are on the ground, not flying. Rainbow Dash's got speed, that's a given, but all her power is in her wings. When flying, she rarely uses her legs, so they aren't worked out nearly as much. While Applejack is always on her feet, so she works them out a lot more. Plus, she could keep up with a stampede of cows, which must take some speed.

Well, if you watch the episode, the two were pretty much neck-and-neck the entire race. Even when either of them were cheating, the other was quick to catch up. I think they'd be fairly equally matched, it would probably come down to the end sprint.

Both of them are athletic, and remember, they competed in the Running of the Leaves in order to settle the score. The Iron Pony competition was very close to a tie, so the two are pretty equal. Rainbow Dash would probably have an advantage if she were to use her wings, but if you look at the Iron Pony competition, it came down to the last contest and RD won because of her wings. Without them, she's still pretty athletic though. She doesn't always fly everywhere, so here strength isn't just in her wings.

I think that Rainbow Dash is the more competitive and determined, and would give it her all to win the race. Applejack seems like she is competitive, but she has limits. RD would pass out at the finish line just to win, while it seems that Applejack would slow if she got tired.

Because I am the king of over-analysis, I have composed a chart that guesstimates rating scores for the ponies based on different criteria. I hope the attributes are something everypony could agree on. It would have been a close race indeed, but the stamina bar is probably the most important in this visual perspective, since it is sort of a marathon.

fwfchart.png

Where are you getting all that from? The stamina one seems off, why would Twilight be able to go longer than seasoned athletes like Rainbow Dash and Applejack?

Because she paces herself rather than giving it her all right off the bat and then slowing down as the race progresses. She saves some energy for the last sprint, which is actually pretty important. I used to be in Cross Country, the last sprint can cost people their place in the race. (I once passed 2-4 people near the finish during one race during the end sprint. Ended up in like 9th place, not bad for myself.) I think Stamina is kinda equal to Endurance here.

mm, this has already been said, but now I get to say it to X3

Rainbow dash exercises her wings, while Applejack exercises her legs

Rainbow dash flies almost everywhere instead of walking and practices flying each day. she's also probably very lightweight.

Applejack has to walk everywhere, buck apples off trees and do hard labor everyday, so her whole body probably gets exercised.

I think that Rainbow dash can probably run faster, but I doubt that she can run as long as Applejack can

and that's my argument, the end ._.

unless Rainbow dash is allowed to fly, then she'd win hands down

You must remember that Twilight came in FOURTH PLACE last time, despite not running in any sort of long-distance race before.

This was achieved through only literal research. Now she's had some practice....think about it, don't you think the fact she has more experience...combined with her intellect would help her to place higher in the race, maybe even win it?

You must remember that Twilight came in FOURTH PLACE last time, despite not running in any sort of long-distance race before.

This was achieved through only literal research. Now she's had some practice....think about it, don't you think the fact she has more experience...combined with her intellect would help her to place higher in the race, maybe even win it?

And thus, MLPFiM Wacky Racers was born.

You, people, you don't trust Rainbow's skill at all. I feel ashamed for all of you! :)

Nahh, I am completely 100% alright with my Applejack bias. :smug:

Besides, Rainbow Dash is a mighty good athlete. AJ's jus better...

I voted Applejack.

Both ponies are athletic, so it's hard to say on that merit. In the Iron Pony, RD wins a lot because of her natural lottery wings. The only contest in the Iron Pony that she wins outright is the hoof wrastle. However, I'm not exactly sure why that is, because we see in episode 3 (Ticket Master) that RD and AJ are pretty evenly matched. I voted for Applejack because she simply outperforms RD in the Iron Pony minus the fact that RD uses her wings to get ahead in the last bit. Aside from the hoof wrastle, on average RD uses her wings to save the day more often than when she does win outright.