My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic turns 1!!!!

Hippo

Guess who's birthday it is!!??

That's right! One year ago today, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, along with the Hub Network, premiered on TV for the first time in the states and anywhere. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, that would make this the 1 year birthday of the show. Show let's party!!!!

pinkie-pie-party.jpg

• Like 1

Wow I can't believe it's been a whole year already! It seems like just last month I was watching the two part special for season one. It's been a fantastic year though, and I've grown both as a MLP fan and as a person. I hope this next year brings just as much awesome episodes, fan creations, friends, and personal growth as the last.

Happy birthday, ponies! :D

Even if I've only been into ponies personally for roughly five months and this time last year they weren't even on my radar...

Heh. Hopefully there are many more years of ponies to come. ;-)

In 9 days I will have lost an entire year to ponies. The Cartoon Brew article posted by Amid got me curious.

Here was my response on that day, and I still stand by it. Even moreso now!

Honestly, I find it pretty refreshing that Hasbro pulled Lauren Faust on board to deal with My Little Pony.

The woman will bring a love, nostalgia and humor to a rather souless and horrible (but much beloved across and entire generation and a half) line of toys and media that needs the kick in the pants. After all, she still has an impressive collection of the toys, a deep attachment to them, and is apparently still a 9 year old trapped in the psyche of an adult.

Personally I would rather see an existing, pardon the pun, stable of characters be redeemed for this generation. The recent wave of 80’s based cartoons is a great way for kids and adults to bridge the non-communication gap that’s happened since the takeoff of handhelds and social media. There’s common ground there. It should be tapped during this socially transformative period, rather than spin off another knockoff of the Simpsons or the early “what a Cartoon” shows. Among the people I know in the early to mid 30’s, the ones who have the greatest relationship with their children in the grade school demographics are the ones who have a mutual interest in certain hobbies.

Plus, maybe this will re-spark a renaissance in one shot animated shorts again, as the creatives have day jobs and are not totally exhausting their imaginations trying to recapture the same magic their original creations had week after week. Fertility can only last so long until it becomes redundant.

Adult Swim will be around for awhile. The National Film Board of Canada will be around for awhile. The internet will be around for awhile. The next crop of young animators who get angry that no creator-driven animation really exists shortly in the future will start another burst of innovation.

Everything will be OK.

• Like 1

hi hi

If you would have told me a year ago that I'd become a big fan of My Little Ponies, I think I would have been highly skeptical. I'm glad my skepticism was short lived though. :)

Being a brony was the farthest thing from my mind last year. Thank god it got to me.

hi hi

If you would have told me a year ago that I'd become a big fan of My Little Ponies, I think I would have been highly skeptical. I'm glad my skepticism was short lived though. :)

If some one asked me... ah'd kick them in the balls and run them out of town. Crazy what can change in one year.... as in ah like the show, not the ball kicking part.

hi hi

Sad to say, but if someone would had told me I was going to end up watching MLP as ravenously as a starved man on a deserted island eats a sandwich, buy both seasons from iTunes, have brush-able ponies on my bookshelf, be dropping lines and quotes from the show while at work or with friends, and actually taking the time to take one of my scales modles and re-color it to fit one of the characters... Well...

I'd of laughed in their faces and walked away still laughing.

Oddly enough though, I can't help think that given my curious nature, someone telling me that might have also caused me to look into it sooner than I did.

I don't think there was anyway to stop this... HAPPY BIRTHDAY EQUESTRIA!

• Like 1