Species: Earth Pony

Pelt Color: Light brown

Mane/Tail Color & Style: Short, curly, and blond

Eye Color: Light blue

Cutie Mark: A blue bowl and a wooden spoon

Physique: Tall and skinny

Origin: Fillydelphia

RP Type: Mane RP

Occupation: Self-Proclaimed Paranormal Investigator (He is actually a student)

Motivation: Finding his brother

Likes: Oatmeal (the food), His family; especially his brother, fireworks and meteor showers, playing hoofball, investigating, cooking

Dislikes: Being called "Crazy", cloudy skies (too hard to see UFOs), cabbage, skeptics

Character Summary:

"They're out there... somewhere... spirits... aliens... creatures that have an otherworldly origin. There are things in this world that we cannot explain, even with magic and technology. And I intend to find them."

Born to a loving family in Fillydelphia, Oatmeal and his twin brother Porridge were inseperable. Growing up together, the pair had plans to work at their parent's inn until they were old enough to get one of their own. Perhaps even starting a chain. That is until last year when Porridge went missing. It had been a long night for the brothers, who were walking back home from a party, when they were suddenly attacked by an unknown assailant. Oatmeal had been knocked to the ground, and was dazed. The last thing he remembered before passing out was seeing his brother pulled away from him into the darkness, followed by a blinding light. He never saw his brother again. It was that night that Oatmeal vowed that he would investigate every supernatural phenomena he could find until he found the one that took his brother from him. Many ponies called him crazy, though his parents fully supported his descision (even if they didn't quite believe his theories).

A year later and Oatmeal opened his own investigation agency, operating out of a tree house behind his parents' inn. Truthfully, he's had very few cases, and those turned out to be pathetically mundane (in one case a "dreadful ghoul" sighting turned out to simply be a rambling, homeless pony. Oatmeal very kindly took him to a local shelter). Nopony really wants to pay a schoolkid to investigate things that don't exist, but Oatmeal spends much of his time chasing rumours in local papers anyway. As he also works in the inn he listens out for information from the customers. Occasionally he gets interesting snippets while serving customers their meals, or cleaning the rooms.

Despite his lack of success, Oatmeal remains optimistic in his pursuit of the truth. Though normally calm and quiet, Oatmeal becomes remarkably animated and focused when presented with a mystery to solve. He gets easily frustrated when things don't go his way and despises admitting when he is wrong, but as long as he is investigating he remains happy and friendly.

Oatmeal got his cutie mark at the same time as his brother, when the pair of them worked their parents' inn while they were away on vacation. They did incredibly well, easily dealing with the customers, handling food and drink, cooking and cleaning. The brothers both got similar cutie marks, Oatmeal getting a blue bowl and a wooden spoon while Porridge got a red bowl and a glass of orange juice, representing the excellent meals they had made that day.

Oatmeal.png

gallery_299_36_1925.jpg

Edited by Diego Havoc

LMAO.

This is pretty funny. I kind of love him.

But, this being Equestria, the mods may want you to make Porridge's disappearance have a much more mundane happening, and Oatmeal's just mistaken (maybe Porridge was in an accident, and eventually comes back not remembering it). And being a colt he might be able to be FAR more hilariously mistaken without the implications of being genuinely insane. A colt could also have a completely wacky (by an adult's standards) mission control center, with the added bonus of at least some of his peers also joining him on his case. There would still be plenty of room for conflict seeing as though young children are often kind of unfeeling in their treatment of other children with non-standard ideas.

Also, three words:

PROJECT BLUE HOOF.

Glad you like!

Re: Porridge's disappearance: I need to refine that part but I want to leave it open to interpretation. I'm thinking that Oatmeal got smacked in the head somehow during the "attack" and that what he saw could be anything. I have a couple of rough ideas as to what "really" happened, but nothing solid.

Re: Age: Yeah, being a colt could leave a lot more room for wacky antics, while a stallion would probably be a more Fox Mulder type (I assume. Never really watched X-files).

Also, three words:

PROJECT BLUE HOOF.

Had to do a search to figure out what you were getting at, but yeah that's the kinda thing! XD

How is this app coming along? Remember, you need to post saying your application has been updated if you make edits! (and check off the little box in the editor that says 'Show 'Edit by' line')

Please also take a little time to update your tag system, we're phasing out brackets in application titles and asking that everypony switch to the topic tag system. Info about how to use the topic tag system can be found here but if you still need help feel free to ask!

- RC

This is a classic example of a pony who's preferred occupation has nothing to do with their cutie mark, or what makes them special. The only thing I'm not particularily big on is how mundane their cutie marks are compared to what /really/ makes this guy special but I suppose it's alright that they can be that completely unrelated. I'd have more expected that as part of being a paranormal investigator, he also works in the family restaurant hoping to pick up 'tips' and hints about paranormal activity and just so happens to be a spanking good cook while he's at it. If you want to change that, I'll be happy to allow that.

But For now,

AppApproved.png

I'd have more expected that as part of being a paranormal investigator, he also works in the family restaurant hoping to pick up 'tips' and hints about paranormal activity and just so happens to be a spanking good cook while he's at it. If you want to change that, I'll be happy to allow that.

Ah! Yes, I was trying to think of a way to tie them together and that works well. I'll try and squeeze it into the app.

As for the mundane cutie marks... well, I was mostly going with their breakfast themed names. I guess you can chalk it up to unoriginality on my part, but really, when all cutie marks are supposed to be unique, what makes one "mundane"?

Ah! Yes, I was trying to think of a way to tie them together and that works well. I'll try and squeeze it into the app.

As for the mundane cutie marks... well, I was mostly going with their breakfast themed names. I guess you can chalk it up to unoriginality on my part, but really, when all cutie marks are supposed to be unique, what makes one "mundane"?

Well, that's the trick really, is how to work in their cutie marks and their names with a story that allows for it but also allows for some more uniqueness to it.

So what I was thinking was attacking it from a different angle. Here is a young pony who's friend was taken away by an apparent paranormal means. But what truly makes him special is that he's an awesome cook. So he does paranormal stuff on the side while working in his dad's diner, and that's where he gets his cutie mark, because he's better at that than being a paranormal investigator. But part of that, allows him to be a good listener and a spotter for the unique and unusual which allows for him to not only have a great eye for dishes that would appeal to customers, but also for 'spooky' happenings! It all can work out. Having a great eye for detail can help a LOT in the kitchen as well as an investigator, but sometimes subtlety may be required and that may not be something he'd have as a cook. So you have some pro and con angles to work it in.