How's School?

BrassSong

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Higher education in the US is completely overrated; there are ignorant hicks with millions and guys with PhD's working at McDonald's. It is just a business and it makes me want to study abroad. I know complete idiots that spawned out of 'top-notch' universities, while extremely intelligent people either flunk out or give up due to circumstance. School should be for harnessing one's talents and strengths, not trying to conform students to one bland standard of what the government views as 'intelligent'. I'm tired of being lumped as stupid or 'special' because I can't do this, even though I'm a genius at that. Not everyone can do EVERYTHING, and those that can have horrible common sense and really are bafoons. The top 5% of my graduating class was full of ditzy blondes and thick-skulled puppets, while everyone with creativity, talent, and true smarts were at the back of the pack.

The college I attend is a HUGE trap for high school graduates. It's a 4 year school with all the common majors, but it's ridiculously cheap ($1500 per sym) and easy to get accepted into. They accept all applicants within the major city area, take their money and then most flunk out because they assumed cheap/low requirements = easy. The graduation rate of the college is one of the worst in the country because most students flunk out because they can't handle college or just transfer somewhere better. Sad to say, I hear the most expensive schools are usually the easiest once you get accepted. There's more freedom in big universities, whereas my college seems super formal, almost like some uptight office.

Start: Maaan, these classes are easy. English, Jazz, Math, Psychology, no biggie. I don't really have any friends, but I'm sure I'll make some.

Week 4: Huh...things are starting to get a bit tougher. I don't really know how to play a lot of the jazz music, and I'm kind of forgetting a lot of English stuff. I don't really have any friends yet... ah, well. Things will get better.

Week 7: Oh, jeez. Looks like I'm going to have to drop English. Now Math is starting to pile up... at least I'm getting the hang of the Psychology work, and I know a song or two with Jazz. I at least know some people, so that's something. They all live way far away though, so we can't really hang out.

Now: Okay, so I got kicked out of Jazz AND English. At least I nailed Psych. I'm gonna have to ACE that Math final if I want any hope of passing that class. And now I don't have any classes with my friends anymore... and I don't know anyone else in the school. Maybe next semester will be better?

Moral of the story: College may seem easy at the start, but don't slack off. It will bite you in the ass REAL fast.

I graduated this past May, but I just wanted to pop in here and wish everypony an awesome finals week :)

I will say though, reading all these post... makes me feel weird that I've spent a whole 4-5 months without freaking out about a paper or exam. But I shouldn't complain. There are plenty of other things to freak out about after school.

Keep your spirits up Bronies! The road is long and hard, but the carrot dangling from that stick will eventually taste oh so much sweeter at the end :)

What's sad is that my required freshmen course "Freshmen Year Experience" required more work than all my academic classes combined, and I bet only 20% of all that work got graded. It's suppose to be a class that 'teaches' you how to go to college; study skills, test taking skills, etc. The 'side-theme' was cultural awareness, (we had to read a novel about a little girl in the Iranian revolution) but sadly all I learned was how racist and ignorant all my classmates were after having private discussions; "How can I relate to some little terrorist in Iran, this book needs to be about an American." The whole class was a huge face-hoof. And if all that wasn't enough, we also had ANOTHER theme; 21st Century Aviation. Our teacher was actually just a high school teacher who was also in the air force, in fact, none of the FYE teachers are actual professors, which irks me. But yeah, had to write essays, do projoects, and continuesly take quizzes on three completely different subjects in one dumb class.

Georgia's education system is in extreme turmoil and it's only getting worse for the newer generations. It makes me wonder "Gee, maybe schools in other states are like what schools are like on tv..."

Keep your spirits up Bronies! The road is long and hard, but the carrot dangling from that stick will eventually taste oh so much sweeter at the end :)

Best pony-nalogy ever. :D

Welp, I take my math exam today. If I can make like a 60 on it I might pass the class. Lucky for me it's all multiple choice, so it's plug-into-equation city! I'm actually nervous about my english final. It's writing an essay about some abstract english subject of our choosing; but I haaaate writing papers to answer/explain things that I can accomplish in a few sentences. I'm not a fan of stretching out subjects and bsing papers, but I guess I'll have to.

I love how in high school we were only taught how to write persuasive essays; get to college "Here, do a narrative/research paper." Um...what are these things you speak of?

WOT? :-o

My high school was so lame, all standard stereotypical electives. But jeez, that's cool. In GA we're crammed with year after year of US history and government. I don't give a crapolla about this boring country, I want to learn some cultures and world history dang it! :x

Also taking performing arts. However, most of the electives have to do with the social sciences like history and finance. there are earth sciences later on for juniors and seniors (marine biology is one i wanna take)

Ha Ha Ha........school.

Yea I didn't do too well.

Tell me, since when was 50% a fail?

And another thing! I failed a maths test by about 0.41%. That just makes no sense! Who wouldn't round that up to 1%? I would have passed! I HATED my math teacher with a passion....stupid big nosed....grrrr

So yeah Aussie highschool student finished school today got a couple of weeks of holidays. But I can feel your pain I can still feel the battlescars I received from our hell week (end of year exam week) but no matter how much I complain I can only know that it gets worse, a depressing thought in reality but the School Certificate has been abolished so no SC for me to do next year so that's a highlight.

Also taking performing arts. However, most of the electives have to do with the social sciences like history and finance. there are earth sciences later on for juniors and seniors (marine biology is one i wanna take)

The electives at my high school; band, chorus, drama, argiculture, and weightlifting. .____. So very very bland

The electives at my high school; band, chorus, drama, argiculture, and weightlifting. .____. So very very bland

no visual art?! D: I'm never going to your school ever

no visual art?! D: I'm never going to your school ever

Oh yeah that class....it was a huge joke hahaha, I only took it once cause I could have 4 electives senior year. (I don't understand why there is a senior year, you only have to take math and english, then all the other classes are electives to waste time in)

I got no exams anymore. They abolished that last year.

I'm doing fine. Faling Digital Design hard though. And i might be doing poorly with Geometry.

The irony for that is that I'm doing better in Physics then I am in Geometry. >_>;

ah, it's really hard D: I'm still in high school, but I'm in IB, so it's supposed to be like high school in a university setting (more work, harder questions, etc. it gets you ready for university)

my english class is the hardest, but it's the only non-IB class I have ¬_¬ at least I'll be done with that class in February. my other classes go until June.

if this is high school, I never want to go to university D:

Here, we take Dual Enrollment and AP courses.

I love my AP Art History and European History courses. <3

No agriculture classes for me.. pff. XD That would be the northern part of the state for us.

School is... bleh. Everything seems to be piling up. Concerts for band, tests so that the teachers have enough grades, and then studying for finals. I'm going to have to pull some seriously hard studying for Pre-Calc if I want to do well in there. I just want Christmas break to get here. At least I only have to take four exams this semester...

OMG, school's been terrible for the past few days.

lol, not really, but one of my teachers hates me with a passion, so she tries to fail me at every chance. What's bad is that I have her for two periods every day, so it's gruelling. I'm also failing a class for the first time (not really, I have a B, but it's failure in my book).

I'm so glad I got accepted to college, or else I'd hate it right now.

I honestly just can't wait to get out of there. High school is undoubtedly the worst.