Bronies? Pegasisters? Mares?

SkyMunki

brony, pagasis, pagasister, equestria girl, mare, filly, I think any of those are considered correct. I just go by brony because it's hard enough explaining what a brony is to people, I don't want to explain two terms (even if the definition of the second is just "a female brony", people never seem to understand).

I usually go with brony as well. I have seen pegasis a few times. Filly as well.

I had always assumed that "Brony" was unisex

I mean Pegasister is a brilliant pun but it's too long and sounds completely stupid.

It does sound a little odd. Plus pegasis would only work when it is typed out.

Bronies to me is kinda Universal. It could work in both genders. On Urban Dictionary.com one of the definitions for Bronies is "The Terms used to describe the fan community (Usually of the older group, Males and females)of the show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

Hm...Still not sure how much I like being referred to as "dude"... But I suppose that will have to do until there is an acceptable name for us. Personally, I always thought that girls were simply "Ponies," short for "Pony Fans," if you take my meaning. And Brony was simply the same, but masculine because of the influx of male interest in the show.

I think the whole "labels" thing is so 1800s... Why can't we just be "fans?" It's not classy, but not brutish; not defined by gender AAAND it can refer to any generation, age or medium. You can be a "fan" if you're a 10 year old girl who bought a toy or a 23 year old boy who just watched FiM for the first time.

:ends humble opinion:

I have a fondness for pegasister, though it is a stumbling word when you actually say it out loud.

I get called a brony all the time by my fb friends, and while I'm okay with it, I guess I would prefer a feminine turn. If the sense of it being on par with 'dude' is correct, there is always the optional 'dudette'....'Bronette?' naw, sounds too much like a BRUnette....*shrug* does it matter? Everypony's just a pony under neath all the gender definity. It just saddens the deeply buried equal-rights activist within me that there cannot be a unisex term. Bro refers to male. To say that 'Brony' refers to all fans as male is unjust. I suppose it's just like the term 'mankind'--it refers to women, too, but because of the simple fact that we live in a male-empowered society, women are listed as a category underneath or sympatico with man.

Oh, well.

• Like 1

I have a fondness for pegasister, though it is a stumbling word when you actually say it out loud.

I get called a brony all the time by my fb friends, and while I'm okay with it, I guess I would prefer a feminine turn. If the sense of it being on par with 'dude' is correct, there is always the optional 'dudette'....'Bronette?' naw, sounds too much like a BRUnette....*shrug* does it matter? Everypony's just a pony under neath all the gender definity. It just saddens the deeply buried equal-rights activist within me that there cannot be a unisex term. Bro refers to male. To say that 'Brony' refers to all fans as male is unjust. I suppose it's just like the term 'mankind'--it refers to women, too, but because of the simple fact that we live in a male-empowered society, women are listed as a category underneath or sympatico with man.

Oh, well.

: sits next to :

This. This so much. I was trying to say it in a way that didn't offend, but didn't think of putting it this way.

• Like 1

...because of the simple fact that we live in a male-empowered society, women are listed as a category underneath or sympatico with man.

Perhaps Equestria is a female-empowered society and bronies are listed as a category underneath or simpatico with 'pony'.

Some people hold gender identity in vocabulary very dear. I do not. However, in more formal types of communication, proper addresses and pronouns are always a must, should I want to avoid getting hit in the face.

I consider the word 'Brony' to be like the word 'dude'. It's masculine, but can be used for females as well.

*Sings* I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, 'cause

, hey!

I always thought pegasister sounded weird. I don't mind being called a brony! I've never heard "Bronita" before though. I think it's cute!

And I think calling female fans of the show "ponies" would be kind of... confusing. Brony is a word that was invented to refer to a specific set of fans of a specific show. Ponies are miniature horses. "Hey, are you a brony?" to someone who is unaware of the show would be confusing, but obviously meant to refer to something that person doesn't know about. "Hey, are you a pony?" might just be flat out confusing, even to a fan of the show. If someone asked me that, even if I knew they liked the show, my response would be, "I like ponies, yeah, but..." and not, "Hell yeah I'm a pony!"

In some languages, such as French, there are masculine and feminine words. Women are to use different pronunciations than men, which is likely what caused people to think of the term brony as a masculinity. Rather, it would be "La Brony" in French, ultimately marking it a feminine word? o: Somewhere along the line, we got messed up as the term brony to be masculine and only masculine. Rather, Brony would be more feminine since La Brony makes more sense in the French language, meaning that Brony would be feminine. :D

And Pegasister sounds nothing like Pegasus...

....wut?

I still don't think Brony refers to females, just because... well, thinking of it as the word is without 'ny' it's just bro. And bro refers to 'my brother' or 'my male friend, who I consider to be on par with a brother' and, in the most commmon phrase I've heard said with the word 'bro', (bros before hoes), there is a VERY definite difference between men and woman, and the status the 'lesser gender' falls under. So....in a pony phrase that would be 'bronies before ponies/pegasisters/mares' I think just calling females ponies doesn't make sense, nor does calling females mares. Both are actual creatures--a pony a living breathing animal, and a mare the definition of a female of the equine species. (okay, MOST equine species)

So....I guess I lean towards pegasisters, despite it being a mouthful.