Can you be in a love with a non-real thing/person?

Legit101

Falling in love with a person? Possible.

An idea? Possible.

A place? Possible.

So I think it's possible to love an inanimate object just as much.

Then again, I hope you're not using a different term of 'love' than what I'm using. 'Cause I'm talking in terms of attachment. :-|

Ah love... As confussing and maddening as it is wonderful and uplifting.

Love can be many different things to different people. Love for one's country, love for yourself, love for another... You could ask dozens of different people and get dozens of different answers.

Love remains a mystery while remaining a fact of life. A curse and a blessing, a crime and a gift.

Love can come and go and leave devastation and miracles in its wake. When it lingers, it can be marvelous and painful, just as when it suddenly vanishes.

Love can be so many different things. It can be right and wrong. A cure and an illness.

The one constant thing it is though... Love is reciprocal.

We give our love and make ourselves vulnerable in the hopes, plain as day or burried deep beneath, that we in turn will receive it as well.

That is what a I believe about love.

When one loves something or someone without getting loved back, it can be the cruelest and most painful of experiences. But at the same time, its an experience none the less. Experiences define us, make us stronger and hopefully better individuals. We learn from them and take small lessons, good and bad, and walk forward with hopes of doing better the next time around.

Nothing that teaches us is a waste, whether it be good or bad.

So, when somepony asks if you can be in love with a non-real thing or person, this is the mindset with which I approach and give my answer...

Yes, you could. But it is non-reciprocal.

• Like 1

Wow - fascinating Wiki article on this RCTwilightSparkle! Thanks for sharing!

Whilst it's interesting, I wouldn't say that it's necessarily healthy to develop a delusional psychological mindset like this:

"Object-sexual individuals also often believe in animism, and sense reciprocation based on the belief that objects have souls, intelligence, feelings, and are able to communicate"

I'd also say that if one feels compelled to engage in non-human relationships, there are deep-seated issues as to why, that would no doubt benefit from getting to the bottom of and finding the root cause.

Eeeyup, my boomstick is called "Roxette" and the day I played Ouija, UI sleept with it... :-| Real story bro...

About saying something useful,

I dunno if a pony character checks on "inanimate", they are as much real as any character on a movie, even I find it better, I don't see myself aroused by a pony, so, all, likable things, are personality wise, an that man, is the purest and greatest love. :smug:

err I should also add that while it is possible to fall in love with non human objects it is not a psychologically normal or healthy form of love

I strongly agree with this, but I also differ from it a little.

I believe that unreciprocated love would be considered obsession, and not true 'love' in order for at least MY definition of 'love' to exist, there has to be some sort of emotional response from the thing/being that is being loved. To be 'in love', in my opinion, is to have a meeting point of love. Where you love, and are loved in return, in a way only associated with that individual, and not felt towards anything or anything else.

I am currently 'in love' with my boyfriend. He loves me, and I love him in return. The idea of being with anypony else doesn't process in my mind. When I imagine losing him, I almost cry. When he is sad, I cheer him up. When we get angry, we forgive eachother. This is being 'in love'.

I love my dogs as children, and they love me as their caretaker. That does not make me 'in love' with them.

I love my little pony toys, but again, I am not 'in love' with them, as they feel nothing in reciprocation towards me.

I firmly believe that loving an inanimate object, a fictional character, or even say...being in love with a sheep, which does not even have the capacity to feel love, is NOT love. It's obsession, and would be considered a form of insanity, if only a minor one. But all it takes is a minor one to become a major one, and then....the next CSI episode.

Knight, I'd like to congratulate you for summing up a philosophical idea of love in layman's terms.

Now to get jiggy with it.

Since my belief system has a fairly long history of studying the subject (2000 years if you want to just say Christian, more like four or five if you want to go back to Abraham, I guess), we've come up with a pretty darn good idea of what it entails, or at least I think so, and it's actually similar to what Knight mentioned.

Most of what you all have been talking about is infatuation or attachment. This is obviously a healthy and normal part of any relationship, if moderated by reason and one's maturity. You can have fuzzy feelings, but those come and go, even if you are married to the love of your life. You will be angry with them, you may not like them, but you still love them. Why? Because Love is a choice. While it has its emotional components, it is definingly a choice. A meeting halfway, as Knight eloquently pointed out.

As much as I am attached to my new Celtic Ring Rosary, or my awesome Velociraptor model, they cannot "love me back". Technically, they can't even feel emotion. Nor can my dogs, though they are very affectionate and loyal. They are creatures of instinct, and their attachment is emotional. It doesn't mean it's not absolutely awesome though, or that I'm not attached deeply to them, or that I would dare treat them with any measure of cruelty.

For further information on the topic, I'd suggest either C.S. Lewis' "The Four Loves" for an easier read, or Blessed Pope John Paul II's "Love and Responsibility", if you've got some philosophical background and don't mind using google translate ten times in the introduction alone.

We're all forever alone here. :'D

Okay. So, I won't say it all, but..

Love is an easily twisted concept. People can say it without a second thought, people often say it without a second thought. It's

vocabulary used in widespread media, and relationships - more often than not - take up a good portion of our average day-to-day

conversations, wether it appears in the form of a question, a statement, a confession, or something else.

To me, love is basically finding someone romantically appealing. Someone you'd like to get involved with to intimate

levels. People label others who don't have this outlook on romance "deviant," for not being considered a "normal" member of

society. We have pedophiles, homosexuals, lesbians, people with odd fetishes everywhere, and have been there for a long time.

We call them those titles because we do not just dub them all as obsessive lunatics or insane nutcases, because in reality,

they could be good people. Like how most non-bronies ( FOX NEWS RRRRGH ) believe we are filed with mental disabilities

just because we watch a show who's primary audience was for children, if not females, when we have fanart, fanfictions, and

fanmusic that sounds and looks A LOT better than some of today's mainstream media.

To call a romanticism with a pony "unhealthy," might be slightly incorrect. Although it is true that inanimate objects and concepts

cannot feel emotions or feelings like the second post above, one partner is still able to find the other in his favor.

I mean, there's things like unrequited love and one sided love. Trying to marry your computer monitor might be taking it

too far.

TL;DR - Romance doesn't define you as a person. If you love someone, if you love something, then that simply occupies a portion

of your life that was missing before. It might come and go, or it might stay there for a while, but either way, I don't think it's as mentally

harming as people think.