Post length paranoia

I know some RPers make 1-2 paragraph posts and others type up full pages, but.. do they mix? Do the long-posters get annoyed by somepony joining in to make paragraph posts, or are they totally fine with it? I avoid any thread with super long posts just because I think the people in it will see me like the same type that makes a misspelled, 1-sentence post and calls it a RP. :-|

• Like 1

Heh. And then there are posters like me who will sometimes write like eight big paragraphs and other times write like two or three sentences depending on the situation. :P

I personally never feel put off by the length of other posters' posts whether short or long. I mean, maybe at the absolute extremes I'd be a little discouraged. If the first post is some big essay length thing or a single flimsy sentence I'd probably not give it a second look. Generally though, I'm comfortable with whatever RP styles others might use.

Generally, the person to start the topic determines the post length. We recommend at least a paragrah with a minimum of 5 (original) sentences. But, I try to do at least seven lines in my posts (probably easier to count than sentences, and it forces me to get a good length post down). If the OP (original poster) does two paragraphs, doing at least one slightly lengthy paragraph should be okay. If the OP starts off with a couple sentences, you know that it's okay to write short posts for that RP.

If the RP is already going but is still open, take a look at the length of posts already there. Your post should be roughly the same length.

Personally, I don't like when someone jumps into one of my RPs and just posts a couple sentences. It doesn't really add a whole lot to the RP or give the other players much to go on and respond to. I stick to the minimum recommendation, and if you meet that, I'm cool. If you don't, you'll probably get a PM from me asking you to make the post longer. This is just in RPs that *I* personally started. If you make a short post in someone else's RP and they don't like it, it's their job and business to take care of it (if they care).

So, just try to write at least one good paragraph when you're first joining. As the RP goes along, if other people have long posts, so will you! You'll be able to interact with and react to what other ponies are doing, and if they're doing a lot, chances are you'll also have a lot to respond to. Just reciprocate the action and give the other players things to go on.

Scroll down and check out the Roleplaying Rules. There are tutorials and stuff to help you lengthen and make good RP posts. This one especially I was thinking of for you.

I personally never feel put off by the length of other posters' posts whether short or long. I mean, maybe at the absolute extremes I'd be a little discouraged. If the first post is some big essay length thing or a single flimsy sentence I'd probably not give it a second look. Generally though, I'm comfortable with whatever RP styles others might use.

This.

I gennerally go for "what is needed here?" if your sitting in a bar and the barkeep asks you waht you want to drink, your going to toss off a sentance or two --- if you start describing the wood-grain in the bar, the different labels and colors of the bottles, the feel of the seats, etc etc etc, I'm just going to be annoyed (unless it's relevant) Likewise if I ask something like "so whats your life story?" and you respond "Well I was born, I'm alive, and I'll die" then I also get very very annoyed... (though keep in mind there *are* times when both are relevant and can be used to add character depth, it really depends on the situation.

Personally, unless your replying to something very simple, I'd say go for a paragraph when you post a reply (unless your writing the OP, then try to get 3)

I operate on the three paragraph rule. I try to write three paragraphs- not always full paragraphs, but three separate entities within a post that are of a different flavor. Thoughts about what happened, some other thoughts, response, dialogue, so generally four.

I don't care about length; I care about effort. Someone can jam out a page long post of poor quality, or they can write a single paragraph of greatness.

It mostly depends on who I'm RPing with. If they're the type who like to describe every little detail, then I go with it. If they're the type who posts things right to the point, then I could easily adjust as well. But generally my posts are usually 4-5 sentences long on replies. But of course, it should contain quality content and not mere blabbering just to fill up paragraphs.

It doesn't really matter how long it is, just as long as you're filling your character's design and providing places for character interaction. If you're having trouble posting a RP reply because of lack of content, it means that you don't have a very large character scenario to launch from. Provided you have ideas, 'minimum' post length really isn't hard to achieve.

Personally, I have no problem with one line responses, because that is what some responses should be, but I have been warned that mods will issue warnings if your posts are not 5 lines thick so I do short posts only when I dont think they will be noticed.

While I can and often do create walls of text, I sometimes find myself in the situation Ashton mentions having to pad a post when a short paragraph is needed and it sometimes comes out sounding like a pulp fiction story where the authors were paid for word count. (now you know why some old stories sounded like Shakespear reading Sam Slade ;-) )

Personally, I have no problem with one line responses, because that is what some responses should be, but I have been warned that mods will issue warnings if your posts are not 5 lines thick so I do short posts only when I dont think they will be noticed.

Define "5 lines" - On my 800x600 laptop, if I type five lines, I end up with 1.5 or so on my 1920x1080 desktop....

While I can and often do create walls of text, I sometimes find myself in the situation Ashton mentions having to pad a post when a short paragraph is needed and it sometimes comes out sounding like a pulp fiction story where the authors were paid for word count. (now you know why some old stories sounded like Shakespear reading Sam Slade ;-) )

That explains so much... except why after reading that, I have this desire to write a Noir Detective story from Twilight's perspective about Dash asking her to find a missing fluttershy... (wow 10 words inspired an entire short story! lol)

Length isn't as important as quality and the effort we see that goes into a post. One paragraph can be fine if it is a really good quality paragraph that contains everything I need to respond to, and does so in a high-quality fashion.

• Like 1