A possible new trend?

I personally think that if they did do a reboot of the various "girly" show/toy franchises, that it would either be overshadowed by FiM or just labeled as a copy-cat and largely ignored. Not to say that I wouldn't be interested if they did decide to reboot them with the same quality as FiM, I would probably actually watch Barbie or Strawberry Shortcake if either series was as good as FiM. What I'm trying to say is that, basically, no matter how good they are, they would be seen as riding on the coat-tails of FiM, and thus looked down upon.

It wasn't just the reboot of FiM that made it hugely popular, it was also the synergy brought along by net culture. I think a lot of stars and planets will need to align again if we'll see another cartoon that nails everything just right enough to become another FiM. There are numerous elements at play here that all combined in just the right way to make it all work. Attempting to emulate them will not a series make, as the variables are countless.

What I will say is that FiM might serve as the benchmark for animation, story, and character quality, especially for a series with an intended audience of young girls for future developments.

• Like 1

What I will say is that FiM might serve as the benchmark for animation, story, and character quality, especially for a series with an intended audience of young girls for future developments.

Fixed. ;) I've seen so many shows, aimed at every possible demographic, that could learn from FiM. If you look at the dynamics at work between the art, the writing, the quality... take away the names, places, etc, and you have a framework for ANY series to build on. Faust created a masterwork! (it gets +1 on all rolls! *dodges thrown objects*) I seriously can think of almost no series that couldnt learn soemthing from FIM...

I'm not sure what you mean... The trend has been happening if you mean rebooting old series... Thundercats, pretty much every superhero cartoon, especially Batman and Spiderman (seriously, how many shows are those two gonna get?), TMNT, GI Joe, Transformers, Pound Puppies, Strawberry Shortcake...

If you mean making shows more ambiguous for boys and girls (ieL shows meant for girls that boys can enjoy, or shows meant for boys that girls can enjoy)... That is where things get murky, especially for the former. Lauren Faust has a gift. My friend and I have a joke that she is related to the original Faust, and that is how pretty much every show and movie she touches turns to gold. (And if I make it to BroNYCon and she has a Q&A panel, I'm totally asking her that question, and if you are not sure what Faust is, I encourage you to Google it, great German legend). That said, I really hope she does more shows.

Really, I'm wondering why networks aren't allowing her and Genndy run wild. The two of them are geniuses, and deserve to be set free from the shackles that the networks put on them. Both have had an amazing history of making wildly popular shows that have become legendary and won awards. What are networks afraid of with those two? Better ratings? Attach either of those two names to a production and people will watch just for that (at least I know I would). Symbiotic Titan was just phenomenal, and needs to be brought back. And I NEED to see Galaxy Girls (with all the fan buzz, why hasn't it happened yet?)

Sorry for the OTness...

Quite frankly, I would love to see three reboots in particular... Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates (They should axe Jake and the neverland pirates for this), Pirates of Dark Water (I MUST SEE THE END), and Sonic SatAM.

Oh and maybe ReBoot, just for the punnie.

Sorry... been up all night and am a bit crazy :P

I'm not sure what you mean... The trend has been happening if you mean rebooting old series... Thundercats, pretty much every superhero cartoon, especially Batman and Spiderman (seriously, how many shows are those two gonna get?), TMNT, GI Joe, Transformers, Pound Puppies, Strawberry Shortcake...

Mmmm... I think the original intent was good quality shows, especially those that can appeal to a wide range of ages and/or both genders. Spider-Man, Batman, Thundercats... all that hero stuff pretty much maintains its quality, reboot or not. The quality of hero shows only improve because of the more advanced technology that exists now.

As mentioned... Pound Puppies is not all that great for older viewers, and neither is Strawberry Shortcake or Barbie. They don't have the same appeal as FiM, even though they are/have reboots.

Fixed. ;-) I've seen so many shows, aimed at every possible demographic, that could learn from FiM. If you look at the dynamics at work between the art, the writing, the quality... take away the names, places, etc, and you have a framework for ANY series to build on. Faust created a masterwork! (it gets +1 on all rolls! *dodges thrown objects*) I seriously can think of almost no series that couldnt learn soemthing from FIM...

I see what you're saying that FiM can serve as a basis to improve any cartoon, but I was referring more to the fact that animation designed for girls has always taken second place to cartoons made with an intended male audience, and FiM can serve as a model to unsuck other properties designed for a younger female audience. Maybe not in the same epic way that FiM has, but a quality improvement across the board would be nice.

To give a concrete example, two decades ago, Rarity might be portrayed as the token pretty air-headed dress up princess fashionista. Today? She runs her own damn business. She's still pretty and fashionable, but she's also smart and self-supporting, two images I think young women need to associate with themselves more than ever. You wouldn't have seen that back then, and the content made today needs to be relevant to the sociological changes that have happened since then.

I caught an episode of Strawberry Shortcake a while back when I had actual Hub access, and it didn't seem that bad. I mean, it wasn't FiM quality, but it wasn't unpleasant. With some good writers, it could easily be made pretty good, no reboot required. Pirates of Dark Water on the other hand I would LOVE to see remade, especially if they got a top-notch writing team like they had on Avatar. And of course, Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls would make an amazing show.

I would also love to see Disney try to jump on the bandwagon with their Disney Fairies franchise. A well-done TV series to build off the movies they've made would make me very happy. I liked the movies already, and if they made a quality show they could do a lot more with the less developed characters.

Sadly, quality shows do not often actually result in increased lifespan. Such has been the bane of TV veiwers since the dawn of network television. Great shows get cancelled all the time for all kinds of reasons, while other great ideas languish in the creative blight that stifles innovation. Most programming still caters to the lowest common denominator, and it one more cult hit isn't going to change their policies.

I didn't read the entire thread, but I want to say no. MLP has a mix of factors that make it what it is. Faust, for one, who has done exceptionally well with cartoons in the past. Her work is amazing most of the time. Because of Faust, we have a show that was written to be enjoyed by all: the kids and the parents/guardians being forced to watch. As a result, many in-jokes are slipped in, and the show is written with quality, which is probably the number one factor: most cartoons suck because they aren't written with any quality, just dumb jokes, caricatures instead of characters, and generally a little annoying.

Faust gave FiM a great writing team, good animation and art (and I firmly believe it's the new character designs that help make it. They're iconic, simple, and look more like a traditional cartoon over the strange design of previous MLP gens), some of the best VAs in the business that are just as iconic, don't sound annoying, and relatively known to audiences outside the target for FiM (Keira from Jak and Daxter as a geeky, socially awkward magical prodigy? Ain't that a jump), a relatively consistent world, well written and developed characters with development that continues from episode to episode, good lessons and the like being taught, injokes, references and insinuations only adults/older audiences would get, and two factors above all else:

- A show that's not only entertaining but cute and smile-inducing at a time when the world's a mess

- A team that cares, which is probably the top factor. Team Faust cares about the show, about the fans, and about making it the best it can be.

Without all this behind it, I doubt any show with a similar black mark ("My Little Pony? You mean those toys for little girls, right?") would reboot as well as MLP did here.

Edit: One more thing. Every show is going to have that "something". That unexplained little tug or push that either has you love the show, or not like it. For example I liked, and still will occasionally watch, Spongebob Squarepants. Some of my friends at the time didn't like it. Even now, some people love shows like Seinfeld or King of the Hill, and I don't, despite both shows having their own merits. Somehow, MLP:FiM just has that "something" that managed to pull in bronies.

• Like 1

I've often wondered what would have happened if Care Bears was what we got instead of FiM. Remember at the original inception, Faust was trying to pitch Galaxy Girls and the Hasbro rep asked her about rebooting MLP instead. That conversation could have easily become Care Bears, or any other property.

Yeah, I know Care Bears was recently "redone" and it's horrible.

Well, recently i saw something stating that they were already thinking about this with Care Bears... and frankly, i think it COULD work...

~Years ago i hate both series, seeing them as plots to steal money from susceptible children

~Very girly and uninteresting to anyone with half a brain

~When i frist heard of FIM, i was still against it.

~But when i watched it i thought it was really good!

So if MLP can do this, i'm sure other series COULD do it... but the thing is, will the fanbase be as big and amazing as this one is?

... random thought... Trolls 'watching' the new rebooted show and going up to bronies insisting its just as good so we waste our time watching it.... i dunno, random thought i felt like sharing...

Well, recently i saw something stating that they were already thinking about this with Care Bears... and frankly, i think it COULD work...

I'd place additional emphasis on the *could* part... I think the fact FiM was a 'new idea' took hold and was part of what contributed to it's success. Anything else will be seen as a knock-off now likely, no matter how good it is.

Now this isn't to say I wouldnt love to see this happen with more shows, especially those from the 80s I grew up with (even if I didnt watch them) I just think it will be hard if not impossible to achieve another FiM anytime soon...

~Years ago i hate both series, seeing them as plots to steal money from susceptible children

~Very girly and uninteresting to anyone with half a brain

~When i frist heard of FIM, i was still against it.

~But when i watched it i thought it was really good!

So if MLP can do this, i'm sure other series COULD do it... but the thing is, will the fanbase be as big and amazing as this one is?

... random thought... Trolls 'watching' the new rebooted show and going up to bronies insisting its just as good so we waste our time watching it.... i dunno, random thought i felt like sharing...

From what I remember, Care Bears wasn't such a bad show back in the day...

I'd place additional emphasis on the *could* part... I think the fact FiM was a 'new idea' took hold and was part of what contributed to it's success. Anything else will be seen as a knock-off now likely, no matter how good it is.

Now this isn't to say I wouldnt love to see this happen with more shows, especially those from the 80s I grew up with (even if I didnt watch them) I just think it will be hard if not impossible to achieve another FiM anytime soon...

Oh yeah, italicized and bold on the 'could' bit....

And agreed, even if it did end up being good, i think i wouldnt be as into it as MLP

From what I remember, Care Bears wasn't such a bad show back in the day...

I wouldnt know, i never watched it... i tried watching kids show during the summer cause i was bored... and i ended up banging my head against a wall instead... so i stopped trying...

Oh yeah, italicized and bold on the 'could' bit....

And agreed, even if it did end up being good, i think i wouldnt be as into it as MLP

I wouldnt know, i never watched it... i tried watching kids show during the summer cause i was bored... and i ended up banging my head against a wall instead... so i stopped trying...

It really depends on which show(s) you tried. Like how Cartoon Network has good and bad shows. You have to try each one (maybe a couple times) to know if you like it.

I'd love if Hasbro brought Faust back, put Care Bears in her lap with a heap of money, and told her to go crazy. There's no question that the result would probably be more awesome than what we have currently. It might not become another FiM, but it would be interesting to see if she'd use some of the same principles that made FiM great -- good character redesigns, a rich world, etc.

Could lightning really strike twice?

I'd love if Hasbro brought Faust back, put Care Bears in her lap with a heap of money, and told her to go crazy. There's no question that the result would probably be more awesome than what we have currently. It might not become another FiM, but it would be interesting to see if she'd use some of the same principles that made FiM great -- good character redesigns, a rich world, etc.

I think the 80's version of care bears is like the 2000's version of FiM...

Actually, it strikes more than twice in the same place. It just happens at a blink of an eye. :blah:

In all seriousness though, yes; I don't think that any watchable reboot of a girl's franchise show will be as successful as FiM, but that doesn't mean it won't come close. Besides, (and sorry if this sounds like an insult), but Hasbro and The Hub knows that bronies are picky, and they HAVE asked iconic bronies to help promote their pony based things both show wise and merch wise before.

Also, somone mentioned the new Thundercats - I was wiating for the season to end since I was told it was serialized, but I got hooked on FiM before that so I never saw it, but I plan to when my FiM addiction addles a bit, likely in the summer or something. I've heard VERY mixed reviews, but a lot that say it's more "Anime-like" which is enough to pique my interest... (one person even went so far as to say its NOT aimed at kids...?)

New Thundercats is definitely worth a look. The animation, music and the whole world building aspect is very well done. Third Earth really feels fantastic. Some of the actual episode plots, the filler ones rather than the ones that actually advance the plot, are a bit shaky, but even they have wonderfully creative ideas. The characters really do have character, and not bland cookie cutter characters. Also there is character development, though some of the earilest bits are a bit choppy. In the second episode Liono learns to not charge headlong into a fight, and in the next episode he's urged to sieze the day and do exactly that. It is a serial, and the better for it.

Quite frankly, I would love to see three reboots in particular... Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates (They should axe Jake and the neverland pirates for this), Pirates of Dark Water (I MUST SEE THE END), and Sonic SatAM.

Oh and maybe ReBoot, just for the punnie.

Still it's well worth watching. Talking about Bravestarr in the other thread has reminded me, I would love to see a Bravestarr reboot. Out of all the 80's cartoons, that would be my personal choice. While the focus would still be New Texas, do more off-world episodes, and flesh out the secondary characters. I would love to see Equestron,if it still exists, and give Thirty Thirty more chance to develop into his own character. Syndication limited character development, as it does with all cartoons designed for syndication. I mean, how hard is it to show the episodes of a cartoon in order?

Series like Outlaw Star and Coyote Ragtime Show prove you can do a space western.

Though I agree, Pirates of Dark Water _deserved_ an ending. And of course I would love to see season 3 of Sonic Sat AM. Tails was finally going to get some awesome of his own. There is a fan comic trying to do it.

Fixed. ;-) I've seen so many shows, aimed at every possible demographic, that could learn from FiM. If you look at the dynamics at work between the art, the writing, the quality... take away the names, places, etc, and you have a framework for ANY series to build on. Faust created a masterwork! (it gets +1 on all rolls! *dodges thrown objects*) I seriously can think of almost no series that couldnt learn soemthing from FIM...

Well it would _have_ to be to take the level of enchantment it has. I'd say it has at leat +3 to both attack and damage rolls... to my emotions and my wallet.

• Like 1