Your FIRST Anime

Lord Wikipedia says (found it since i know the spanish name :P)

Moonlight Mask (月光仮面 Gekkō Kamen?) is a fictional superhero that has appeared in Japanese tokusatsu and anime television shows and movies since his TV debut in 1958. Created by writer Kōhan Kawauchi, Moonlight Mask is best described as Japan's answer to The Lone Ranger and Batman.

(...)

The 1972 anime series

The anime adaptation Seigi wo Ai Suru Mono - Gekkō Kamen (正義を愛する者 - 月光仮面), translated as The One Who Loves Justice: Moonlight Mask, was produced by Knack, and aired on Nippon Television from January 10, 1972 to October 2, 1972, with a total of 39 episodes (divided into three segments). The show also became very popular in Latin America under the title Centella (Fang Note: spanish for Sparkle.... no, really) . Japanese voice actor Michihiro Ikemizu provided the voice of Jūrō Iwai/Moonlight Mask.

Huh, that's the one I found too, but it didn't sound enough Chonico's description...

It was about a man dressed in all white who wore a cape and rode around on a white motorcycle.
Wiki: "Decked out in white tights, white & red cape, white scarf, yellow gloves & boots..."
His emblem was a yellow crecent moon and he threw crecent moon shaped projectiles at his enemies, kind of like "batarangs" for Batman. His enemies though, were an alien species trying to destroy and enslave humans. The monsters he fought were almost always humans mutated and twisted by the aliens.
Wiki: No mention of either of these things.

:/

Huh, that's the one I found too, but it didn't sound enough Chonico's description...

:/

Like I said, this was back when I was like 3 or 4 years old. I'm amazed I remembered he wore white and rode a motorcycle :P

I too was thinking it wasn't it, but as soon as I found a video clip and heard the intro theme song... POW! Yup! That's it. Flood of memories came with that too. Heck, I even remembered I dressed up as him for Nightmare Night. Although I'm pretty sure all my costume consisted of was me dressed in white PJ's, a cape, a mask, and a pair of swimming goggles.

And no wonder I couldn't remember the name. Centella? Yeah, grew up south of the border, but still. Centella?

Still, I'm pretty impressed you were able to find it with my description based off of the horribly cloudy memories of a time long ago. Think I might try and find me a few episodes and enjoy myself a bit. Thanks Blank Fang!

My "first exposure" to Japanese animation was the edited and dubbed versions done for American television back in the Eighties. This would be Volton, Star Blazers (original Japanese series: Space Battleship Yamato), and Battle of the Planets/G-Force (original Japanese series: Super Ninja Team Gatchaman). At that point I view them pretty much like I viewed any action-adventure cartoon series of that era, cool but typical.

My first "true" exposure to anime from Japan was VHS copies of Arcadia of my Youth in the late Eighties that my mom showed me. The movie enthralled me. Here was animation that wasn't dumbed down for kids, or censored in all sorts of manner for the sake "of teh children". In around a year after I had my first copies of anime that I owned (on VHS), recorded by a friend, and with (fan-dubed) subtitles: Project A-ko and Dirty Pair: Project Eden, I was also handed a few episodes of Ranma 1/2. These are what launched me headlong into my anime obsession of the early and mid-Nineties, back in the days before Sailor Moon and Dragoball Z on cartoon network made anime hip and popular in the US (at that time I was already starting to move away from my anime-obsessive days).

Still, I'm pretty impressed you were able to find it with my description based off of the horribly cloudy memories of a time long ago. Think I might try and find me a few episodes and enjoy myself a bit. Thanks Blank Fang!

rang a bell immedtiately since my parents (specially my mom) talk about it a lot :P

Hm, i'm not entirely sure... Could've been a lot of things, but lets see what i remember...

I remember waaay back when i was 4-6. i was up fairly late, watching cartoon network around midnight. Gundam was on, and i was just mindlessly watching cartoons. my mom was in the kitchen nearby and we were about to go to bed... but as i watched i heard a character say 'damn' and i freaked out. it was a cartoon and someone cursed? god forbid! hehe. i think my mom called someone up to complain, but i dont remember, i wasnt that into it...

now the first animes that i was actually into was either Pokemon, Dragon ball z, Case Closed, or Lupin III, not sure... all i remember from way back then was waking up particularly early (4am) to watch Lupin and Case Closed while they were on cartoon network.

Truth be told, I don't actually remember which anime I started on. Either it was Sailor Moon or Escaflowne...

My memory isn't the best, although, I do know that the one anime that really got me started was Inuyasha and Fullmetal Alchemist following up right behind it. While now a days, I've lost interested in the repeating puns of Inu Yasha, FullMetal Alchemist is still one of my most favorite animes and when the second series, FMA: Brotherhood came out, I was having a fangirl attack. Hahaha!

So, Yeah, Either Sailor Moon or Escaflowne. :-|

It might have been Pokemon? It was something my brothers watched and I refused to admit I had any interest in, though it had some memorably weird scenes. "WOOPA WOOPA WOOPA LA LA WOOPA WOOPA WOOOPA LA LA."

The absolute first time I sat down, watched an anime, and thought, "Ooo neat!" was Princess Mononoke, my freshman year of high school. I'd had foot surgery and was on some heavy postsurgical painkillers. I was flipping the channels, and came across the little kodama/head bobble guys, and it blew my valium-slowed mind. Eventually went back and watched the full movie, no painkillers involved, and it was still fantastic.

First series I followed and enjoyed was Cowboy Bebop.

• Like 1

"L did you know,Gods of death love apples?"

I am obsessed with Death Note,since I prefered live action stuff to Anime,Never actually watched any.Then I saw Death Note(the only thing that appealed to my horror love)And realised It was a manga.On another note,I recently restarted watching it,and noticed that the voice of Near is also Spike!So I was(Sort of)A brony before it was cool!

I think my first animé to watch was Sailor Moon but aahh I barely remember anything of it. I wasn't THAT into it... The only animés that were on TV when I was 7-8 was Sailor Moon and Silver Fang.

But then Pokémon came along! And Digimon. But if we're not counting those as animés then Cardcaptor Sakura. It came on TV when I was like 11 or 12, which I was highly dedicated to! Then later .hack//SIGN arrived and it has to be my favorite animé ever ;D

I'm not into animé anymore though :c nopenopenopenope cartoon network for me

When I was born I was given a Hello Kitty stuffed animal, however never watched the show before or knew that it was one.

My first anime was DragonBallZ and I watched it with my boyfriend. I didn't know it was anime though. I just knew that it was Japanese. Then about 2 years later I met a friend who introduced me to the anime scene with School Rumble and then after that: Chobits, Negima, Chibi Vampire, Love Hina, and a few others. After that I started looking up anime on my own and found my favorite is Fruits Basket. After all this time I'm still reading the manga. I'm almost done but I can't afford the next book which I will only buy and read.. and not read online. Its torture really.

Very first anime without knowing it was from Japan? Maya the Bee, when they had it on Nick Jr. waaaaaaay back in the early 90's.

Then of course Sailor Moon and Pokemon, and then I delved into the wondrous world of anime fully when I started watching Cowboy Bebop.

Wow, I feel reaally old now... I started watching anime with Astro Boy (The original) and Speed Racer in the late 70's early 80s. Moved on to Voltron and StarBlazers, but my anime collection started with Project Ako, Urusei Yatsura and Bubblegum Crisis... and I was in my mid teens when those started making their way over on VHS. Now I have a huge shelf filled bottom to top with anime and a couple of display cases filled with anime models I've painted. Characters, not the mechs.

Dragon Ball Z was the first thing I started watching without subtitles because everyone was watching it and I wanted to be in with the crowd. But the first real Anime that I liked and loved, and secretly watched was Sailormoon.