What's your favorite Season 2 song?

Mojo

Favorite song of Season 2 (so far)?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite song from Season 2 (so far)?

• "Find a Pet" from "May the Best Pet Win"
    • "Becoming Popular" from "Sweet and Elite"
    • "Oink Oink Oink" from "Baby Cakes"
    • "Opportunity" from "Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000"
    • "The Perfect Stallion" from "Heart and Hooves Day"
    • "Smile" from "A Friend in Deed"
    • "Welcome Welcome Welcome" from "A Friend in Deed"

The songs are not any part of the reason that I watch the show. I don't dislike them, but neither do I think they are necessary.

However, the pet song got my vote for this line: "Cutsie? Wootsie? Do you even know me?" and the fact that the theme song probably isn't eligible.

Oh, and I skipped the theme song for the first time the other night when some kids I was sitting were getting anxious about not finishing an episode as their bedtime approached.

I'd prefer to be able to purchase an official soundtrack for the show, for quality reasons and support guys like Daniel Ingram for making such cool tunes

Degage feelings aside, I would probably buy an official soundtrack too.

Grrr...making me choose between all the excellent songs in Season 2? You monster! :-o

Well...let me list my opinions:

Find a Pet - INFECTIOUS. As soon as it hit that wonderful ending duet of Fluttershy and Dash, I knew it'd be a forever-classic. The only thing I don't like about it, would probably be that it's so inconsistent in its rhythym. It's not a BAD thing, but it comes off as uneven and un-harmonized. However, that's what makes it so unique... :smirk:

Becoming Popular - I don't know why, but I have no real opinion on this song. While I enjoy Rarity's singing voice, the song itself lasts BARELY less than a minute, and it just doesn't do it for me. However, the effort applied is definetly shown throughout, and I can appreciate it for that.

Oink Oink Oink - Ehhhh...it doesn't really count, honestly. It only lasts 15 seconds, and is just a bit of sound effects and singing...However, it IS an entertaining bit of comedy.

Opportunity - Okay...let me make this clear....I. LOVE. "THE MUSIC MAN". I got the references and style it was doing as soon as the song started, and I LOVED the execution. The lyrics were wonderfully-written, the chorus and general singing was beautifully-done, and the whole entire song was just AWESOME.

The Perfect Stallion - A VERY fun song. I can't say I LOVED it like Find a Pet or Opportunity, but it's certainly a great song. What just makes it even better is that it's the CMC singing, of all ponies, xD

Smile - Certainly the most "cinematic" and large-scale song. It makes the episode, and honestly is just fun to listen to and essentially "hear the gears spinning" within the wonderful bits of the song. It gets even better when the chorus picks up, and it turns into a Gospel-like song, something like "Somebody to Love" (QUEEN, NOT JUSTIN BIEBER). I can tell you, it's a great song. Its originality is stunning, and Daniel just hit the nail on the head with every point of it.

So I suppose I enjoy specific songs more depending on my mood. However, "At the Gala" still remains my favorite song of the series. That song is JUST BEAUTIFUL. I don't believe anything will top it...

You're making me pick?

Seriously, while admit that I like them all, My favourite has to be Becoming Popular. It's an awesome song, and it's from the episode where I started to actually like Rarity. For my second favourite, it's a tie between Smile and Opportunity, with Opportunity being just a tiny bit better than Smile .(Technically that would make Smile my third favourite, but who's counting? :P)

If I had to pick a least favourite, it would be Find a Pet. It's not a bad song, it's just a little formulaic and disney-ish for my tastes.

This thread has officially made me watch Becoming Popular again and have a costume geek-out. (Ooh, there's the one from Green isn't Your Colour! And there's her Gala dress! And that one looks like the one from her Gala fantasy!)

• 2 weeks later...

"Opportunity" barely beat "Smile" for me on the basis of the song itself. Considered in conjunction with the animation, I think "Smile" wins. "Find a Pet" is a very close third, and "Becoming Popular" isn't far behind. I found "The Perfect Stallion" a bit lacking, to be honest. "Welcome Welcome Welcome" was pretty catchy in terms of Pinkie's random songs.

The interesting thing about this season's songs is that there's an awful lot of variety of styles in them. "Find a Pet" sounds like a Disney song, "Becoming Popular" is basically a pop song, "Opportunity" is obviously a homage to old Broadway style, and "Smile"... I don't know how to describe it. Sort of gospel-ish, with influences from "Feelin' Groovy" and the Sesame Street theme song? Am I the only one who got that impression? By comparison, the three big Season 1 songs, while amazing, were all very much Broadway style, with two of them being specifically Sondheim homages. (The Cutie Mark Crusaders' performance defies all description, I think.)

• 2 months later...

Becoming Popular gets my vote; in the song, Rarity fully expressed her desire to become well-known as part of her outstanding record in the fine arts and her occupation, dressmaking. She's already become quite the star among Canterlot nobles (Hoity Toity, Fancy Pants) and the song also shows off her vibrant and complex personality. The fact that being posh is only part of her wonderful, deep character shows you a lot about this unicorn as the song not only manages to capture one's attention, but also fits her perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...