• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure they just payed Tori a decent sum just so she could garner a crowd familiar with the Royal Wedding. After all, celebrity appearances = BIG RATINGS

I'm sure Spelling wouldn't shake two tailfeathers for the show...frankly, I found her constant bits in the commercial breaks to be VERY irritating...

Just realized this at dinner, chewing some spinach staring at the lamp...

"A Canterlot Wedding" made a too clear reference to a obscure book... About a guy who can see certain "people" who actualy were shapeshifting creatures called "Goblins", creatures feeding in human despair and sadness, so Goblins ensured world was a sad place to be... That sounds like Changelings, but reversed... :-o

P.S. The book is called

"Twilight eyes" :-|

but is an horror novel, even if a mediocre one, is not kid friendly...

P.S.2. If Changelings are reversed Goblinsfeeding in Love, they aren't suposed to make Equestria a happy place? :shock:

Yes This was a grate EP But I really Disliked one thing... It made me crave new Ponies! and Now I have to wait... I have already watched the EP like 10 times...

Your argument is invalid. Discord is the best villain.

Yes Discord is the Best vilain Hes John de Lancie he is Q!

Apologies if this idea has already been put forward in another thread but I've just checked 27 pages here so....

Regarding the changelings being alternative alicorns, rather they may be alternative Windigo's.

Explanation. Alicorns are the embodiment of the three standard ponies and are still rooted in the physical. They still eat and drink for example.

Windigo's are the only emotion eaters we had met before the changelings, and changing/evolving to eat a different emotion seems less of a 'jump' than changing from physical sustenance to emotion drainng.

Windigo's existed a long time ago (more than a thousand years/pre Celestia and Luna). Back when ponies were hateful, these negative emotions would attract Windigo's to feed, however the Windigo's feeding also froze and killed the ponies they were feeding on. The ponies therefore had to go through some very fast evolution (social as well as physical). Hateful ponies attract widespread winter which wipes out anyone in the area, hateful or not. Groups of kind and fluffy ponies survive. (If you want a further imagination game, imagine if every battle or conflict in the real world had attracted unseasonable winter).

Windigos then are left in a pretty sorry state, the ponies they can feed from are dying because of the winter and they can't feed on the surviving ponies who are friendly and loving. Then you have a mutation/choice/magical alteration that allows Windigo's/protochangelings to feed on positive emotions. The same thing begins to happen, with communities of ponies being wiped out by the protochangeling presence, so by necessity the 'negative effects' of their presence becomes smaller. Wipe out your food source-starve, live 'in harmony' with your food source-survive.**

Or changelings and Windigo's are entirely different species* and they wax and wane in tune with the amount of love and hate in the world.

Warring ponies=many Windigo's, few changelings. Loving ponies=Many changelings, few Windigo's

Obviously massive speculation+headcanon+magic affecting genes in weird ways = make your own mind up. Was an interesting thought pattern for me though :)

*Windigo's are spiritual/pure magical beings whereas changelings are physical creatures(?) who use magic so maybe this is better explanation.

**Doesn't explain why changelings evolve but Windigos don't. Physical changelings evolve but spirits cannot? Ooh both positive and negative eaters were originally physical beings but as pony society changed to a more co-operative one, (co-operative ponies survive winter more readily than warring ponies), the negative emotion eaters died out leaving their spirits in their mass destructive state. As spirits they can come and go when there are not enough negative emotions to sustain them. The surviving positive emotion eaters are still physical beings so can change/evolve in response to their changing food source.

Hurrah for trains of thought passing through Clapham junction!

• 1 month later...

One thing that bothers me...What was Chrysalis' original plan? She was pretty shocked when she was able to take down Celestia...So I'm gonna assume that wasn't part of her original plans. Wonder if she intended to hostage off Twilight and the real Cadance for her demands?

Option A: As a new member of the family she may have been hoping that Celestia would love her too. Feeding from the love of a goddess? Yes please! If the love of a mortal unicorn was enough for Chrysalis to overcome a goddess, (though unknown before she did it), how much power would she have from long term feeding on the love of such a powerful being?

Option B: The original plan may have simply been to have Shining armour under control and sneak in more and more changelings. Feeding, multiplying and growing until finally the princesses have no, or very few, actual ponies left as subjects. This plan would have been made and initially carried out under the assumption that Celestia, Luna or both would have been able to defeat Chrysalis in a 'stand-up fight'. When Chrysalis was discovered there was a natural, believed to be doomed to failure attempt at self defence when suddenly..... Chrysalis beat Celestia! All bets are off, forget this sneaky infiltration stuff, lets just invade!

EDIT:- Actually, ignore both of those... Chrysalis admits the invasion before defeating Celestia....

Which then, sadly, leaves basic villain monologuing as a choice. She just got so carried away with 'Muahaha, I fooled all of you, I am in control, we will feeeeeeed.... DOH! Alicorn standing right behind me!'

Well, the Changeling invasion would have happened whether Chrysalis was revealed by Twilight or not (Chrysalis was not in a position to either summon or call off her minions while disguised as Cadance). However if Twilight and Cadance hadn't escaped from the crystal mines, Chrysalis would probably have had more freedom to sabotage Canterlot's defenses "from the inside". After causing more of a mess of things, Chrysalis would then choose her own time to go into her villian monologue. That's my two bits, anyway.

One thing that bothers me...What was Chrysalis' original plan? She was pretty shocked when she was able to take down Celestia...So I'm gonna assume that wasn't part of her original plans. Wonder if she intended to hostage off Twilight and the real Cadance for her demands?

I think her plan was not to be found out. She got rid of all the ponies who suspected her. Lerian was on the right track. Filter in Changelings, since by the time the wedding rolled around, she had full control over Shining Armor. Sure, the shield was up and they checked ponies coming through, but how would they spot a Changeling if they look like ponies anyway?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little on the late side with this, but here's a review of the "Royal Wedding" from the AV Club (The Onion's spin off that actually deals with real media type news). It's always interesting to read reviews of this show from non-Brony sites.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-royal-wedding,72535/

I think she intended to have Twilight take out Cadence. Why else would she lead Twilight to blast the wall where Cadence was being hidden?

Yeah, but what would Chrysalis' gained from that? I have a feeling, if she wanted Cadance dead, she would have killed her instead of dumping her underground...

I think that was appended to the plan as a back up. As a product of circumstance. "She isn't evil, the priced pupil of the princess is evil and by extension the princess herself." Kind of thing... Thus chrysalis would have been able to perform a political coup in case the brute force take over failing. However the idea was half baked and ending up back firing on her.

Yeah, but what would Chrysalis' gained from that? I have a feeling, if she wanted Cadance dead, she would have killed her instead of dumping her underground...

Twilight likely has way more powerful magic then Chysalis. Chrysalis got Twilight in the mines due to surprise, she probably did the same with Cadence. Going down to finish the job could result in being defeated, however having Twilight do the dirty work keeps her out of harm's way

Twilight likely has way more powerful magic then Chysalis. Chrysalis got Twilight in the mines due to surprise, she probably did the same with Cadence. Going down to finish the job could result in being defeated, however having Twilight do the dirty work keeps her out of harm's way

Could also be an 'It's your fault!' play if Twi had killed Cadence?

Run Twilight... run away and never return...