Royal Duties

OccupyEquestria

Way out there theory:

Twilight was being watched by Celestia early on to have her as her student and groom her to be perhaps her right hoof, or even her successor.

(I don't remember where I heard it xD)

I've personally never bought into the successor stories unless it is the "Twilight is Celestia's illegitimate daughter." Equestria is after all a monarchy with multiple princes and princesses and so naturally one of them would assume the throne or else it simply wouldn't be a monarchy.

But there is certainly some growing evidence now that Twilight was being watched by the royal family from being a filly. I'm unsure how much of this was accidental though. Twilight is noted as having called Cadence a unicorn, which makes it seem that the art department might have messed up and then they were stuck playing off of it and dealing with the canonical changes in the future (if at all).

Way out there theory:

Twilight was being watched by Celestia early on to have her as her student and groom her to be perhaps her right hoof, or even her successor.

Not so out there, I've had a LOT of people, who have had NO exposure to the fandom say "Twilight is obviously the heir" (and this was before the tell-tale IAT where nobody questioned Twi going into the most secure spell depository in canterlot...)

Slightly more viable theory: Twilight Sparkle is more powerful than most unicorns, and the royals want to keep tabs on her. After all, she's shown to be able to teleport, which nopony else has, she's able to travel through time using the right spell, etc. It could be that Twilight Sparkle is some kind of very powerful unicorn that the royals want to work for them, or at least keep tabs on in case she tries to usurp them. That's at least my headcanon so far, that Twilight is a lot stronger than she's shown and it's going to come out over time.

/more crazy theories.

Slightly more viable theory: Twilight Sparkle is more powerful than most unicorns, and the royals want to keep tabs on her. After all, she's shown to be able to teleport, which nopony else has, she's able to travel through time using the right spell, etc. It could be that Twilight Sparkle is some kind of very powerful unicorn that the royals want to work for them, or at least keep tabs on in case she tries to usurp them. That's at least my headcanon so far, that Twilight is a lot stronger than she's shown and it's going to come out over time.

Seems pretty reasonable. If someone sinister.

It seems ridiculous that Cadence would sit for her unless Twilight had already caught Celestia's eye.

But I tend to think that the attention was because of the positive things Twilight could partner with them in, rather than preventing the creation of a rival.

Seems pretty reasonable. If someone sinister.

It seems ridiculous that Cadence would sit for her unless Twilight had already caught Celestia's eye.

But I tend to think that the attention was because of the positive things Twilight could partner with them in, rather than preventing the creation of a rival.

Hey, why not both? Raise a powerful alley, and at the same time keep her from considering becoming the enemy in the first place.

Hey, why not both? Raise a powerful alley, and at the same time keep her from considering becoming the enemy in the first place.

At least in my mind, that would be a little depressing. I don't put money and effort into my various causes because I want something from them, or because I'm afraid they will turn on me. I support them because I believe in them.

Even the idea that something so...devious...was in the back of Celestia's mind is depressing.

And likely unfounded since, as powerful as Twilight is, I'm sure she can't hold a candle to the princesses. I want to see potential for good in people. Not the potential for evil. I say that from my perspective, and what I hope Celestia's perspective is.

Maybe there is a situation where such thinking makes sense, but I haven't thought of it yet.

I've said this before... Twilight is the AVATAR! How else do you explain the pony avatar state??? In her entrance exam she clearly evokes it, and only Celestia was able to bring her out of it. (Glowing white eyes and a surge of uncontrollable power?)

I mean... really... Once she gets control of her Avatar powers she'll be unstoppable, Celestia knows this and is thus teaching her and ensuring that she is an ally.

• Like 2

At least in my mind, that would be a little depressing. I don't put money and effort into my various causes because I want something from them, or because I'm afraid they will turn on me. I support them because I believe in them.

Even the idea that something so...devious...was in the back of Celestia's mind is depressing.

And likely unfounded since, as powerful as Twilight is, I'm sure she can't hold a candle to the princesses. I want to see potential for good in people. Not the potential for evil. I say that from my perspective, and what I hope Celestia's perspective is.

Maybe there is a situation where such thinking makes sense, but I haven't thought of it yet.

I don't see it as being devious, and more of a preventative measure. She's demonstrated that she has extreme power, and IS the Element of Magic, after all. Remember her entrance exam to Celestia's school? What if she never took it, or it happened a day before or after when it did? The Sonic Rainboom kicked off her powers when it startled her, just imagine what could have happened if Celestia was not right there to reel her back in. It could be that Celestia knew of this power beforehand and thus had Cadence foalsit her (or did so immediately afterwards) to keep an eye on her and make sure her powers never went out of check again. Without their intervention, Twilight could have been a danger to herself with untamed magical ability on the calibre that she had. And now, to add a bit of a cynical, darker twist to it, not only are Twilight's powers more focused now, she's also intensely loyal to Celestia, meaning that it would take a lot, like a full out brainwashing, to turn her against her.

I'm guessing she was her foal-sitter and bodyguard. Probably needed someone powerful enough to defend foal-Twilight from certain enemies of Canterlot.

I don't see it as being devious, and more of a preventative measure....Without their intervention, Twilight could have been a danger to herself with untamed magical ability on the calibre that she had. And now, to add a bit of a cynical, darker twist to it, not only are Twilight's powers more focused now, she's also intensely loyal to Celestia, meaning that it would take a lot, like a full out brainwashing, to turn her against her.

See, I can buy that Celestia would bring her close in order to protect her. That is consistent with her character. And like what Rosewind said, grooming her for higher responsibility is also cool. I don't think bringing her close, and keeping up a relationship for the purpose of stopping TS from ever turning against the kingdom is consistent with the character we have been getting to know over the last two seasons.

See, I can buy that Celestia would bring her close in order to protect her. That is consistent with her character. And like what Rosewind said, grooming her for higher responsibility is also cool. I don't think bringing her close, and keeping up a relationship for the purpose of stopping TS from ever turning against the kingdom is consistent with the character we have been getting to know over the last two seasons.

Definitely not the entire reason. She obviously cares for Twilight, which seemed to be the intent all along. However, originally it seems she took her own as a student with hopes she would be 'the one'. Not surprisingly, they became friends as well. However, early on Celestia must have realized Twilight's power and potential. She kept her close as a friend, true, but that doesn't mean she wasn't keeping extra tabs on her as well.

Twilight says things like "The Princess trusts me completely. In all the years she's been my mentor she's never once doubted me".

Is that a lie? Is Celestia perfectly trustworthy or isn't she?

That's Twilight's personally opinion. Would Celestia really let on if she DID have doubts? Especially considering how paranoid Twilight gets about things... like we saw in Lesson Zero, she does have a crazy side.

Crazy isn't necessarily evil, but it can cause harm. It caused a major lapse in her judgement, definitely, and gave her control over other ponies.

It could be that Celestia knew of this power beforehand and thus had Cadence foalsit her (or did so immediately afterwards)

Cadence was her foal-sitter before she became celestia's protoge, her flashbacks show her playing with cadence before she had a cutie mark.

We dont really know what role twilight's parents play in canterlot, for all we know they could be important people in court, or something. Would explain why her brother was a shoe-in for the royal guard, why twilight got such attention from the royalty, and why she was able to be enrolled in the school for gifted unicorns, when she clearly didnt show any gifts until the rainboom.(Though we dont know how exclusive the school is, or if anyone can apply)

Thats what season 3 needs, more background story on the mane 6. I wanna know all about twilight's super family.

That's Twilight's personally opinion. Would Celestia really let on if she DID have doubts?

Really? It seems that Celestia agrees:

Spike: [clears throat] My dearest, most faithful student Twilight. You know that I value your diligence and that I trust you completely...

Is that a lie? I hope not.

Twilight clearly has an emotionally dependent personality built around Celestia. Considering Celestia's wisdom and foresight, I feel that the construction of such a relationship was entirely purposeful. As such, the opinions of Twilight towards Celestia are skewed. At the same time while what Celestia says may not be a lie, it does not have to be the whole truth.

Twilight as an heir is a plausible explanation, but it's also quite hard to imagine. My personnal opinion is that she coudln't be Celestia's heir, for the simple reson that she's just..a Unicorn. Celestia and Luna have been rulling for thousands years, and it seems they have still quite a way to go. If something happened to Celestia, it's probably Luna who's take over, with perhaps somepony to help her, but she 'd be the next on the list. And if something happened to Luna too, well Twi could take the throne, but only if she's still alive. I don't think she'd live long enough to even see something like this happening.

I'm starting to suspect that Celestia has actually been keeping an eye on Twilight's entire family for quite some time now. There may be some prophesy or some hereditary trait that highlights that family line as being likely to produce the new Element of Magic, and hence lead to her sister's redemption. I believe that this is suggested by the fact that the Element of Magic big crown thingy, when Twilight wears it, matches her cutie mark... but when we see Princess Celestia wearing it in the storybook opening of the pilot, it still looks the same - a six-pointed star. And Shining Armour's cutie mark has the same star device. This could be interpreted a lot of ways, but I think it means that Twilight's entrance exam wasn't the first time Celestia became aware of Twilight's potential.

hi hi

Princess Celestia understands harmony reasonably well, but she knew that Twilight Sparkle had the magic inside to surpass even her. It would have been a crime to all of ponykind to let that potential go to waste. And she did save the world from Nightmare Moon and Discord. When Celestia failed to notice the warning signs coming from Chrysalis and scolded Twilight, then later congratulated her for learning a valuable lesson, it was in that moment that we saw that Twilight had actually surpassed her teacher. (Now the circle is complete!) With Celestia incapacitated, Twilight Sparkle was able to step up and take charge in her place.

I also think Celestia took Twilight as her student to help her control her magical ability, as we saw the result of what happens when it goes uncontrolled (and Celestia might not always be there to stop it) -- by not doing so would have been very dangerous.

(I know I'm being Miss Obvious here, but still!)