EveryPony?

Kendrick

So I hope I'm not rehashing an old topic. I tried looking through older threads before starting this one.

I'm new on here and want to follow the correct etiquette.

I'm curious about the regularity of the use of personal ponynouns. (somepony, everypony, et al.)

I've seen them used, not used, and ran across at least one disparaging comment on their use at all.

I don't use them IRL at all, but it's my natural impulse when posting about ponies. But I don't want to ruffle feathers either.

And on the subject of unwritten rules of forums.....

I've been on boards before where you'll get grief-ed clean off the board if you start a new thread about an old topic.

Do I need to be afraid to post without doing an exhaustive search first?

Thanks!

:)

In RP I use them every time, because that's the world they live in. On Pony boards I use then sometimes, mainly just when I think about it. When posting to certain people that I know really like them I go out of my way to be sure to use them. IRL I dont think I've ever used them, though that may change over time since over the years I don't even notice now when I say things like "on the other paw..." or "shut your muzzle!" etc

The term is actually racist.

... what about the Dragons?

Personally I don't use those terms. Not against their use WITHIN MLP RELATED CONTEXT. Using outside of MLP related areas like facebook/twitter/etc is a little too mental for me.

I won't say 'everypony'... I'm more likely to refer to everyone as "you lot" or "that rabble". :artax::blush::halo:

I think they are ridiculous. In the show and out. Or, at least I did. They might be growing on me. I typed one myself for the first time within the last week.

It has been shown that people pick up the speak habits of those they associate with. Hang around with other ponies enough and you'll start saying things the same way they do.

I never use it when I refer to people or non-pony characters in the show. I only say it when discussing the show and referring to all the ponies. I will say "everypony in Ponyville loves apple cider.", but I won't say "everypony I know is too busy to chat with me.".

Don't worry about necroing old topics that might have been discussed, especially if you're new here. Everypony here is very friendly!

I use it in two different contexts: to flavor RP, or for referring to fans of pony. I believe ponynouns and normal nouns are interchangeable between fans, series, or whatever, since part of the culture is all about the puns! Use it however you like here, and don't let any neighsayers tell you otherwise!

It has been shown that people pick up the speak habits of those they associate with. Hang around with other ponies enough and you'll start saying things the same way they do.

I didn't use it because I needed to, or because it struck my fancy. It just felt right in the narrow context of what a specific character was thinking.

But I absolutely pick up the habits of those that I can hear. It is difficult to keep myself from swearing when I am frequently around it, but I try anyways because I work with kids so often and I want to set a good example.

The one pun that I can't fight is "Mane 6". I tried typing out "Main 6" but it felt so wrong that I decided to go with the flow.

I use them all the time. ;)

Always in the RP (well, unless I'm playing Gilda or something). Use them quite a bit in just general conversation as well though, and sometimes even with non-pony friends online, just because I know it kind of irritates them.

• Like 1

and sometimes even with non-pony friends online, just because I know it kind of irritates them.

Well if we're including those situations, I always use them with my ex because she hates FiM for stupid reasons ("It's crappy Flash animation!") which is odd since she liked G1-G3.5... but I digress...

...she hates FiM for stupid reasons ("It's crappy Flash animation!")...

I showed MLP to a friend who is an animation buff, and while he liked the stills, the animation was very distracting to him. He said something to the effect of "Is the whole thing animated in flash?" roughly two seconds after the oddly animated intro in the first episode ended and the more typical animation began.

I showed MLP to a friend who is an animation buff, and while he liked the stills, the animation was very distracting to him. He said something to the effect of "Is the whole thing animated in flash?" roughly two seconds after the oddly animated intro in the first episode ended and the more typical animation began.

She's a severe traditionalist (and elitist), if it's not expertly hand drawn she wont watch it (she also will not read any form of web comic because she "only reads *professional* manga")

She's a severe traditionalist (and elitist), if it's not expertly hand drawn she wont watch it (she also will not read any form of web comic because she "only reads *professional* manga")

There is nothing wrong with having a high bar for quality. And I am not disappointed by people who think MLP fails to get over that bar. There are some aspects of the animation that are aesthetically offensive. If someone is a snob about it though, that is a completely different issue.

Ultimately, the animation is the vehicle of the story and the characters. It should also be pleasing to the eye without forming a distraction. The same is true for the language in a story. It should be pleasing to the ear, without forming a distraction.

That is the biggest strike against "everypony". It draws attention from the meaning, and focuses it on the single clever word. Sure, you can get used to it, and stop it from pulling focus, but that is a bad attitude. The purpose of language is to communicate, and if you are distracted by the words, you are not paying enough attention to the ideas.

There is nothing wrong with having a high bar for quality. And I am not disappointed by people who think MLP fails to get over that bar. There are some aspects of the animation that are aesthetically offensive. If someone is a snob about it though, that is a completely different issue.

She's snobby about it and looks down on both the comics/animation that doesn't meet her "extremely well hand drawn by professionals" standards AND those who read/watch them. Also I turn your point back against you - the medium is just a vehicle for the story, Therefore, if you set your bar too high you miss out on a LOT of good stories (one of my favorite webcomics is El Goonish Shieve, which especially in the beginning, is not "high quality" (though it gets better) but is an incredible and fun story that addresses a lot of good issues, even more offensive imo is a comic like Jack (DO NOT google it if your under 18!) it addresses a LOT of very hard topics in a very clear and well-written way... but it's not "professional manga" so she wont touch it.

Also I turn your point back against you - the medium is just a vehicle for the story, Therefore, if you set your bar too high you miss out on a LOT of good stories

While visual quality is not completely indicative of story and character quality, they are absolutely related.

There are way too many comics and videos to absorb them all. Why not focus on those that meet all of your standards? I absolutely reject comics that have terrible drawings before giving the story a fair chance because unless it was phenomenal, it would not be worth subjecting myself to painful art. AND if it really is a phenomenal story, I will hear about it again. And again. At which point I might give it a fair shot. I will say this about your friend, she probably spends less time wading through the crap that I do, and her enjoyment per hour is probably higher. It seems like she just needs a more diplomatic way to decline your suggestions.

Having high standards and completely disregarding something based on uneducated preconceptions are two different things.

Is that the issue here? I'd agree if it were, but it might not be.

If the most important part of any media is how it looks to you, then you can make an educated guess as to the odds of your enjoying it in just an instant of looking at the material. There are a few styles of art that I find grating to look at, even when they are well done. If flash animation were one of them, no quality of characters or stories could make MLP worth it to me.

It's interesting. I really LIKE the animation. It's clean, cute, and attractive. After stuff like "Jakie Chan's Adventures" and the other stuff from that school of animation I'll take ponies every day.

So the basic feel I'm getting on the ponynous is "Whatever." Some people don't like them but not to the hostility level. Right?

:D