Shapeways...Anyone buy from these guys?

tacobob

x3s8s7.jpg

You can buy this on Shapeways...Has anyone purchased anything from this site? Looks really cool. This is what the official toys should look like..

wwlmd1.jpg

I bought a Nightmare Moon from them once. It arrived broken and I got no refund for it. Kinda sucked. But, given Canada Post...

It's supposed to be made out of sandstone..

Sandstone is an industry name for a type of resin, I am pretty sure, which would make sense if they were printed on 3d printers considering they take a powdered resin and apply layers of polymers to get the object 3-dimensional. There is no way these are carved out of the sedimentary rock.

What's the cost? if they're expensive enough you'd be better off just getting a 3D printer and making your own...

What's the cost? if they're expensive enough you'd be better off just getting a 3D printer and making your own...

According to the link Halide provided, they're selling for $38.22.

Ah, well at that price might not be worth it. unless your planning to buy like 20 of them (~$700) then it might be since a 3D Printer can be had for $499 ;)

According to the link Halide provided, they're selling for $38.22.

And 3D Printers are still in the $10,000 plus range.

Where can you get a $500 3D Printer? o_O

I have a friend who has one of those $10,000 ones. I should ask him to print ponies. And more Death figurines Don't ask how I know him!

I would buy printed ponies from him so long as they aren't horribly fragile.

How do you know him?

I have a friend who has one of those $10,000 ones. I should ask him to print ponies. And more Death figurines

Don't ask how I know him!

So, how do you know him?

Hey! :wail:

I knew you would ask!

Well actually, my older sister dated his older brother back when I was still in college. I met him, and he told me his brother was into web design, like me. I went to go see him, and we became good friends. Except for when my sister and his brother broke up. But we're all good now.

Hi guys!

I work at Shapeways, and wanted to post an update.

Hashbro, who makes the pony model in question, has updated his model so it no longer breaks.

Maybe with some prompting, he might create more models!

Also, it is our policy to issue refunds if a model did arrive broken after shipping, so Halide, if you want to contact customer service they would gladly do that for you!

• Like 4