Seasonal Habits and Cravings

Angie Cakes

I find that the things I want to do and the things I crave change during the different seasons, as I'm sure it does for many people. how do the seasons affect you?

many places don't get as extreme differences in the seasons as Manitoba does, so I'm curious to hear from people in those areas :3

spring- craving: cake

most people in my family are spring babies, so spring time makes me crave birthday cake. I find that my need to draw is strongest in the spring time as well. when it rains out, I like to hang out in the sunroom and watch. I would sleep in there on rainy nights if I was allowed to.

summer- craving: cookie dough

once every year or two, my family goes out to the states for summer vacation. I always make it a point to buy a tub of cookie dough to eat because it's the only time I'm allowed to. when it's really hot out, I want to get in my swimming suit, open all the umbrellas in the house that I can find and role around in blankets, pretending to swim, since that's what I used to do as a kid XD the nice weather also makes me want to play video games, which probably isn't the best thing to associate nice weather with.

autumn- craving: peanut butter squares

when it starts getting cold out again, my mom gets in the mood to bake. because it's September and everyone is back at school and work, she doesn't have time to make complicated recipes, so she always makes peanut butter squares. autumn is my favourite time to take walks because everything is dry, and it's starting to get cold out, so I don't get sweaty from walking. the pretty colours are just a bonus XD I also have an overwhelming desire to look at Halloween decorations. Halloween decorations have that distinct smell to them that I really enjoy. no matter what time of year it is, if somebody lights a vanilla candle, I start wanting all the things I associate with autumn.

winter- craving: chocolate snowball cookies

there's always lots of baking around my house during winter, but snowball cookies have always been my favourite. there isn't much I want to do during the winter, I'm pretty content rolling around on the ground in a comforter. although, one winter activity I really enjoy is laying on my back in the snow on a cold winter night. I'd take that over a grassy field on a warm summer day, any day.

Hmm...

Spring: Venison. Spring is the time of year the stags from the local herds can be hunted properly so there's always a glut in the game larder. But it tastes so very fine that I always crave the stuff whenever springtime rolls around. Plus you can do so much with it, and it's a rich, delicious meat perfect for stews and casseroles when the spring weather takes a turn for the wintry again.

Summer: Vittorian salad. Summer is the time of picnic hampers by the river, of sweltering days where no-one can be bothered to cook or eat something hot, of long rides on horses with deliciousness in the saddlebags :P . Vittorian salad is always part of the hamper, and I look forward to it like nothing else, since it's never made for any other time.

Autumn: Beef wellington. A nice chunk of prime beef marinaded in red wine, slathered in foie gras and wrapped around with pastry, it's perfect for warming bodies still used to the summery warmth. Autumn is my favourite season, as it slopes into winter - not so much for the colour of the leaves as for the fading of the light and that ethereal, crepuscular quality it gets as dusk settles across the countryside, the smell of woodsmoke drifting on the chilly breeze and the playful bite of the cold. Halloween is always a delightful night to be out and about - and no-one looks at you twice if you put on your Grim Reaper costume...

Winter: Cranberry tea with a tot of brandy and cinnamon dusted on top. This is the staple drink of winter in my house, and I crave it the instant winter sets foot in the door. An enormous jug of it is always on the go, and it's perfect both as a morning pick-me-up, to brace you against the bitter chill, and as a relaxing, warming I've-just-come-in-from-the-cold drink. Winter is a close second, after autumn, for my favourite season. I love the clarity of winter days, the endless blue bowl of the sky, the stark simplicity of the landscape. The warm glow of lights from the house, the cheer of other madmen out in the bitter weather, and the delightful feeling of being curled up in front of a blazing fire with a good book and a glass of something hot and wicked whilst the wind and snow rage outside is very hard to beat.

Oooh I like this topic! Let's see...

Spring: Salad and lemon poppyseed muffins. Soooo good! I'm afraid I don't have much of an anecdote to go with this, though!

Summer: Strawberries! And brush fires. I grew up around wild strawberry fields -- the fragrance is heavenly. There were also lots of brush fires, and the smokey woodsyness paired with fresh strawberries is really unique and special to me. Maybe I'll try to pair the two sometime in a dish. Also lemonade made with real lemons in the glass. The oils from the skin give it an unmatchable flavor. It's easier to make with simple syrup (one part sugar to one part water, simmered until dissolved and cooled). Smoosh lemon slices in a glass, add simple syrup to taste, ice and water, stir.

Autumn: Cider and pumpkin anything. Not just cider out of the store, I'm talking about the fresh-pressed-from-a-cider-mill-cider. Pumpkin is great in any baked good, though once I made chicken pot pumpkin pie. I hollowed out some little sugar pumpkins, made the filling with chicken, veggies, and cream sauce, then put it in the pumpkins, covered them with pastry "vines" and baked. Num! I also have a thing for huckleberries. They're very rare, so if you ever get a chance to try them, do so!

Winter: Chocolate and gingerbread. Lots of chocolate, especially! Call me crazy, but I love the smell of stale gingerbread frosting.

Spring: Venison. Spring is the time of year the stags from the local herds can be hunted properly so there's always a glut in the game larder. But it tastes so very fine that I always crave the stuff whenever springtime rolls around. Plus you can do so much with it, and it's a rich, delicious meat perfect for stews and casseroles when the spring weather takes a turn for the wintry again.

ok honestly just super curious as to where you are at that they let people hunt deer in the spring

Deer season in the UK runs from August to the end of April (stags) or March (does/hinds) . There is a type of deer you can hunt at any time, too, but I don't think we have any where I am.

EDIT: Obviously, you don't aim for the heavily pregnant / just birthed does. That would be silly.

...Wings...Wings...Wings...Wings...

My stomach is rumbling with the sound only created by being 800 miles away from good wings.

Fall: cold cider and hot doughnuts

Weesh doesn't have any other overpowering needs during the rest of the year.

My stomach is rumbling with the sound only created by being 800 miles away from good wings.

Fall: cold cider and hot doughnuts

Weesh doesn't have any other overpowering needs during the rest of the year.

Here in New York City, there are great wings every five feet! Or less!

Here in New York City, there are great wings every five feet! Or less!

Must ask... Where do you normally get your wings? I get them from this place by my former internship on 40th and 9th iirc (I know where it is, but can never remember the name) I'm quite picky with my wings and philly cheesesteaks.

Must ask... Where do you normally get your wings? I get them from this place by my former internship on 40th and 9th iirc (I know where it is, but can never remember the name) I'm quite picky with my wings and philly cheesesteaks.

Anywhere within a mile radius. Sometimes more, if I feel active. I also don't feel like saying which street I live on.

In winter, I get a strange urge to eat ice cream. But thats about it. The rest of my dietary urges are random.

actually, me too XD most of my ice cream consumption happens in winter or on rainy days

Well, this weekend was the "official kickoff of summer" among my circle of friends, which starts with a trip to this yearly thing called the "Giant Yard Sale" (rain or shine) and and a canoe trip (shine only, if not it becomes a thrift store hopping afternoon, culminating in any place that has scorpion bowls.)

This involves a crappy cheeseburger at like 9 AM that on that one day, at that one event. it's the only time of year I crave it, or even can stomach it.

Spring: I crave fried seafood. And Skeeball. And being in swamps.

Summer: All I want to live off of is watermelon and water with mint in it. I also feel the need to drink gin and tonics on the docks near my house, have to walk around on dark warm nights with my toes in the grass.

Fall: Pumpkin ANYTHING (except if it involves maple or coffee), crisp apples, cider, donuts.

Winter:I just result to eating horrible junk that I don't even think about the rest of the year. Bad habit. I go to the beach more in winter than I do in summer though.

Aha! Weesh! Welcome to the "colored font because we're special snowflakes" club! Cravings though? I don't think mine change depending on the season, but my habits kind of do.

Spring: Eat at Buffalo Wild Wings and Spaghetti Warehouse on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I guess I'm a little more inclined to salad and fruits. Maybe. During rain and storms I'll lie outside on the porch and enjoy a peanut butter sandwich. My sister used to do this with me while we made up names for different patterns of lightning.

Summer: See Spring. Since all I do is turn crimson then burn in sunlight, I try to stay inside with the lights off and live like a vampony. Lemonade is a bit tastier than usual.

Fall: See Summer/Spring. I do get really excited for Thanksgiving though, because I rarely get to eat good turkey. I don't crave

Nightmare Night candy, just the little grin I get when I scare the foals running around with bags. Oh Nightmare Night, second only to Hearth's Warming Eve. I'm using my one week of vacation this year for that particular last bit of October.

Winter: See Fall/Summer/Spring. I drink hot chocolate all year long (it's my coffee) but it's especially good during winter. As my favorite season I have all sorts of things that I do like making cookies, stoking really big fires (I'm told I'm a closet pyromaniac), camping, singing Hearth's Warming carols constantly and without provocation, bundling up to take long walks in the blessedly cold air, buying obscene amounts of scarves, going to a particular high-end mall just to people watch and enjoy the atmosphere.

Aha! Weesh! Welcome to the "colored font because we're special snowflakes" club! Cravings though? I don't think mine change depending on the season, but my habits kind of do.

THAT'S NOT THE REASON, ROSE AND I NEED SOMEBOD(BONK)HEY! Get back in the trailer! Oh. Ignore that. And the great and powerful Trixie likes cider. Did I already say that?

THAT'S NOT THE REASON, WE NEED SOMEBODY...HEY! Get back in there! Oh. Ignore that. And the great and powerful Trixie likes cider. Did I already say that?

Pony feathers, you're just hijacked Weesh. I dun wan chu to go back to boring normal text at some point! >:3

Regardless, I'll remain a special unique one-of-a-kind snowflake of rareness.

Ok fun food time!

Spring: Not really anything special. Guess I use my old standby of chicken.

Summer: Ice cream, watermellon, cereal marshmallow treats, barbecue chicken

Fall: Apples (I have an orchard about 10 minutes away from my house. No, the Apple family doesn't work there), apple cider, pumpkin pie.

Winter, hot chocolate, ham, and baked yams.

When you said this, I instantly knew where you were from. They're soooo good.

I need to bake my own...

I'm actually not from around Little Italy in NYC. But, everything's connected in the city, so it's like 20 - 40 minutes for me.

(By God I hope that was where you thought I was from)

I'm actually not from around Little Italy in NYC. But, everything's connected in the city, so it's like 20 - 40 minutes for me.

(By God I hope that was where you thought I was from)

I shall use that radius to track down wing joints. :P