Ponifying everything.

ThunderBrony

What is with everyone's insistent need to ponify everything they see. Recently I saw a ponified version of The Hobbit which nearly drove me away from the MLP fandom, sure I'm a brony and I do dearly love the show, but why do we need to make everything pony related when it is a far stretch to begin with? I am a massive J.R.R. Tolkien fan, been reading his books since I was in grade 5. My overall question is what and what cannot be ponified? what are your limits to this ponification?

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the ponification of popular culture. FiM is a remix/parody heavy culture -- as tends to happen with something heavily internet-centric. I think a lot of it is very clever, and only adds to the hype and interest that the series gets. It's exactly that hype and interest that helps secure its popularity -- and ratings -- which help promote the creation of future seasons of FiM, merchandise, and plenty of fan-created content to enjoy across the sprawl of the internet between seasons and beyond.

If a ponified Hobbit is enough to drive you "away" from the fandom, perhaps you need to ask yourself what the fandom itself means to you, and how you wish to view or participate with fan-created content in the future -- it's certainly not going away. Come to think of it, there's probably a lot more Hobbit parody/remix culture out there than Pony, so...good luck avoiding it!

What is with everyone's insistent need to ponify everything they see.

Good question. I know that I would stop playing magic if it turned into a pony version, but I enjoy reading the comments for the card "Tyrant of Discord" because the bronies come out of the woodwork for names like that.

Moderation is the key. If I feel like everywhere I turn, I see ponies, I would be annoyed. As long as seeing a pony reference catches me by surprise, then I will know it hasn't crossed the line for me.

There is no line. But you don't need to view everything. Some ponifications are amazing, others not so much. It all depends on the artist and their skills. Granted... some don't make sense... But still, in the end it comes down to what you enjoy.

I'm a huge Tolkien fan as well, and I don't think seeing that would drive me away by any means. Probably one of my favorite ponifications is Doctor Who, and I'm enormous Whovian (along with Trekkie and Brony... man... I'm such a nerd :/) I actually think those are some of the best done ponifications around.

And if you wish to know how big of a Tolkien fan I am, I have the History of Middle Earth, the color illustrated copy of Lord of the Rings on my bookshelf right next to my hardcover copy of The Hobbit. This is along with several other Middle Earth books, yes, including the fabled Silmarillion.

Oh sweet Celestia, I have so many crossover pictures I want to draw. I hope I get to that in the summer. :I

If I got one free wish I'd want Space Channel 5 or Elite Beat Agents with Pinkie Pie in the leading role. Because if there's one pony that can change the world with song and dance, it's Pinkie Pie.

(In fact, I totally plan on trying to actually make a game like EBA with Pinkie Pie, but shhhh, it's a secret to everyone.)

There is no line. But you don't need to view everything. Some ponifications are amazing, others not so much. It all depends on the artist and their skills. Granted... some don't make sense... But still, in the end it comes down to what you enjoy.

I'm a huge Tolkien fan as well, and I don't think seeing that would drive me away by any means. Probably one of my favorite ponifications is Doctor Who, and I'm enormous Whovian (along with Trekkie and Brony... man... I'm such a nerd :/) I actually think those are some of the best done ponifications around.

And if you wish to know how big of a Tolkien fan I am, I have the History of Middle Earth, the color illustrated copy of Lord of the Rings on my bookshelf right next to my hardcover copy of The Hobbit. This is along with several other Middle Earth books, yes, including the fabled Silmarillion.

So much Hobbit!

Are you excited about the movie coming up? I sure as buck am!

I'm pretty fine with just about anything being ponified really. :)

The only things I can think of that I wouldn't want to see with ponies are things I'm not really so into or don't want to really see in the first place. Ponies make almost everything else better.

Sooo.... on topic. I don't really care for anything violence related being ponified. Because I like to keep my hyper violence and ponies separated, thank you very much. ^^

So yeah, that's pretty much where I draw my personal line.

I agree, that would be disturbing. Fortunately, as Starswirl said, you have some degree of control over what you see. It is good that I can avoid most of the shippy and sexual stuff by not seeking it out.

I find the extreme ponyifing of everything quite annoying honestly. I wish it would be done in better moderation, as it gives haters a free for all playground. It's okay to do. There's no problems with it, and I'm not against it. However, people have to realize that not everyone likes ponies. Spamming ponified stuff everywhere isn't going to help the anti-hate cause. :/

Contrary to that though, I have seen some pretty good ponified stuff. (I.e. Dr Who, Star Wars)

That hobbit parody seriously hurt my heart. The Hobbit was my favorite book as a small child, and still is. I don't understand the need to ponify everything. I mean, sometimes its great! I liked the Beatles ponified, but some things (Like Lord of the Rings <3 ) SHALL NOT PA- ahem, should not be touched.

That hobbit parody seriously hurt my heart. The Hobbit was my favorite book as a small child, and still is. I don't understand the need to ponify everything. I mean, sometimes its great! I liked the Beatles ponified, but some things (Like Lord of the Rings <3 ) SHALL NOT PA- ahem, should not be touched.

I agree completely with you J.R.R. Tolkien was such a genius! I shut off my computer and left the room because of that ponyfied version, I love My Little Pony but some things are too far.

I agree with starswirl, kind of. I think that if you feel the need to ponify things, then go ahead and ponify it. It's the internet, no one will stop you (except the mods XD) But it's all up to you to decided if you want to look at it. For example, the hobbit parody, if you stumble upon it and you don't like it, don't read it. You HAVE a mind of your own don't you? If it really stick into you and follows you around all day, and it really makes you angry, then just try as hard as you can to keep your mind off of it. I believe that humans have a natural will-power strong enough to allow you to say 'That's not gonna bother me.' And then it shouldn't. But that's just me.

Was there anything particularly offensive with the pony Hobbit parody in question? I haven't seen it, so maybe there's some other factor at play here.

I haven't either, nor am I going to seek it out. Mainly because I have no interest in the ponification of it.

honestly just saying...and dont flame me now (sorry im so used to the rest of the internet being a hate machine)...but honestly if everything were ponified (and I mean literally everything)...I wouldnt be complaining, in fact I'd probably giggling in joy on my bed until I realized there was a whole world of new pony waiting for me to explore and I flew out the door in glee.