Summer of Pony ~ Session VII [S1E16-18]

cjolz.png

Summer of Pony '12 ~ Session VII ~

Introduction/Schedule

Previous Sessions:

I, II, III, IV, V, VI

Sonic Rainboom, Stare Master, The Show Stoppers

Welcome to Session VII of Summer of Pony! Weesh is still recovering from getting lost in the Alaskan wilderness (really, lol), so he was a bit out of commission for helping this week. We will undoubtedly see more of him in this thread, though! Say hi, Weesh!

Possible Change in Format?

I understand we're smack into the middle-ish of summer here, with S3 far away and general lack of interest in stuff. Weesh and I are curious if our current format/schedule would attract more attention if we gave focus to just one episode every week, instead of staggering all of them. Share your thoughts here, or if you're feeling like a shy pony, feel free to PM us! We're always open to suggestions to attract more attention, activity, and fun, so please, by all means, give us your suggestions! Meanwhile...

Quote the Frame Results:

Lots of fun and very clever quotes from last week! A few really stood out as super clever! Catch them below!

Up2kG.png

Conor Colton:

"Ha! That's just a colander with Heart's Warming lights!"

Swirly (my personal fav):

TS: Now that I have you hooked up to the lie detector, I have but one question... What happened to Rainbow Dash?

PP: What? Nothing happened to her! She's in my basement where I left her!

Diego:

:Pinkie: "Do you expect me to talk?"

:TSparkle: "No Ms. Pie, I expect you to die!"

:Pinkie: "That's a shame, 'cos I reeeeally like to talk! I'll talk about anything! Like, did you know that bees make honey from nectar? I only just found that out. How cool is that? I mean, you'd think something made by bugs would be gross, but I use honey in my cooking all the time it makes everything taste so super sweet and have you heard that saying "the birds and the bees"? I always wondered what that meant 'cos my Mom would always tell me I'd find out when I was older but I'm older so so I asked Mrs. Cake about it and she said it was something about babies but I don't really see how birds and bees would have anything to do with babies except that they all start with the letter B so I thought about other stuff that begins with B like bananas I like bananas I had this sweet banana sundae yesterday it was so good they served it with toffee ice cream and-"

:-|

Ginger:

Pinkie Pie: Explain again. Why is there a colander on my head?

Twilight Sparkle: Oh, I wouldn't worry about that Pinkie, I wouldn't want you to strain your noodle.

Pinkie Pie: ...

Vbyln.png

Weesh:

AJ: lots of people go to college for 7 years.

R: yeah, they're called Doctors.

Davroth:

Rarity: Where did you hide that camera again?

Applejack: ...You are right in front of it..

Ginger:

Rarity: I hope you can see because I am rolling my eyes as hard as I possibly can.

Applejack: Actually Rarity, yer kinda facing the other way there... just so's ya know.

Secret, but fun frame:

wPV9p.png

Davroth:

Rawr, I'm a cyclops. : D

Conor Colton:

"Hey! I'm on next!" :D

Nice job! You're all SO AWESOME! :kissy:

Pony it up! Watch:

"Sonic Rainboom" Original airdate: February 18, 2011

Rainbow Dash becomes increasingly nervous whilst preparing her performance for the Best Young Flyer competition where she could win a day with her idols, the Wonderbolts, as she planned to perform a highly advanced aerial stunt known as the Sonic Rainboom.

"Stare Master" Original airdate: February 25, 2011

Cutie Mark Crusaders wanted to stay for one night in Rarity's house, but because of troubles caused by them, as well as Rarity, Sweetie Belle's older sister, being busy, they have to stay in Fluttershy's instead. That night, when Sweetie Belle's extremely loud lullaby scares one of Fluttershy's chickens into the Everfree Forest, Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo try to venture into the forest to try and rescue her from the dangers within.

"The Show Stoppers" Original airdate: March 4, 2011

Cutie Mark Crusaders wanted to stay for one night in Rarity's house, but because of troubles caused by them, as well as Rarity, Sweetie Belle's older sister, being busy, they have to stay in Fluttershy's instead. That night, when Sweetie Belle's extremely loud lullaby scares one of Fluttershy's chickens into the Everfree Forest, Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo try to venture into the forest to try and rescue her from the dangers within.

This episode set holds a special place in my heart. Stare Master was my very first episode of pony. EVER. It was my hook. It was my game changer. Sonic Rainboom is one of my favorites -- just the concept behind it, the gorgeous writing, and the story, as well as the RD development. There's also that CMC one or something. Anyway, watch'um! Let me know what you think in this thread. I'm sure there's lots to discuss! Right Weesh?

... *pokes Weesh with a stick*

Speed Paint Game:

This should be a fun one!

Pull out MS Paint (or any paint program will work, really).

You have one minute to draw a scene from one of the episodes featured in this thread. Share it here, and everypony will try to guess which scene it's from. We'll be featuring these, of course, in Session VIII, so get drawing! Even if you're not artistic, I'm sure you can make something fun-looking in a minute!

This will be veeeeery interesting! Go!

adS6i.gif

You get an F. You clearly have no artistic talent whatsoever. (Sarcasm.)

Believe it or not, that was all free hand with a mouse!

And a minute is crazy short! I did this one in about 2.5 minutes...

final2.png

I did get this one done in just a minute:

final3.png

There you go guys, I've set the bar pretty low.

Lets see if you guys can limbo under it!

My advice is to stick to one character...

I forgot to mention it before, but Ginger's caption for the first picture was hilarious! :D

Anyway, I certainly noticed less activity in the previous thread, and I think that perhaps cutting down these topics to just one episode a week might be worthwhile.

I should point out that I'm not actually rewatching any of these. I just don't really feel the need to; I've seen most of them at least three times each. Maybe when we get to season 2 I'll start watching again.

Oh, um, Rosewind? The synopsis for Show Stoppers is looking very similar to the one for Stare Master :P

One minute to draw a picture. I don't know if I can something that quick, since I usually spend about a minute per line I draw XD I'll give it a shot though. I usually spend at least 15 minutes drawing a day, so this will give me a nice break. :)

MSPaint?! Less than a minute???? Surely you jest! I can barely draw a stick figure in a minute, let alone an entire pony! I'm going to watch at least one ep tonight and post thoughts at the very least..

MSPaint?! Less than a minute???? Surely you jest! I can barely draw a stick figure in a minute, let alone an entire pony! I'm going to watch at least one ep tonight and post thoughts at the very least..

You'd be surprised what can happen in less than a minute.

...That really didn't sound right, did it?

hi hi

I guess it can be a little bit of a trick to write a full review of several episodes in one week. (Usually takes me about an hour to watch the episode and compose my thoughts.) I've been trying to space them out rather than go all at once, but I could do that if it worked out better. I'm interested, regardless of how you plan on organizing it.

Anyway, on with the review. :)

Ah, Sonic Rainboom. One of the best (often considered the best) episodes no doubt. There's a lot to talk about so lets get started.

The opening sequence has a pretty interesting setup by itself. I know Rainbow Dash has gotten some flak from people for pushing Fluttershy to assert herself, I get the impression that Fluttershy really does want to learn how to assert herself more. Later in this episode we hear her get excited and say "Did you see that? I was so assertive!" (Putting Your Hoof Down may have been in season 2, but it also exemplifies that part of her personality). And considering how miserable she gets when she ends up being pushed around (like in Green isn't Your Color) I suspect that Rainbow Dash might actually be giving cheering lessons by request. At the very least, I don't think she's trying to impose herself unfairly.

Also, in the last shot, did anyone else notice that crazy blue tree with two trunks? Crazy!

Speaking of crazy, how about that crazy weekend of studying?

mlfw1672-1317739285.gif

I tried to pick out a part of their meeting at Twilight's house that I thought was the best, but it proved impossible. Just about every line that comes out of everypony's mouth is awesome, from Pinkie Pie's antics to Fluttershy's "did my cheering do that?"

No wait, I lied. Pinkie Pie instantly finding the flight spell and Applejack's "How'd you do that?" were pure comedy gold. :)

Twilight says its a spell that allows Earth Ponies to fly for three days, but Rarity is a unicorn! Dun dun dunnn! (Foreshadowing? No, probably not.) Speaking of which, was anyone else on the edge of their seat the first time they saw Twilight trying to cast the "really difficult" spell? The music was so tense and then kaboom! I think that display of magic might have been more impressive than even lifting an Ursa Minor, and it was all in the presentation.

I did a little bit of research into stage fright/performance anxiety and its kind of interesting. I already knew that it often manifests as an irrational phobia in people that usually don't experience social anxiety at all. Sometimes it comes and goes, sometimes it is a more chronic problem, but one of the key components is a over awareness of one's own appearance. With that in mind, I think its no mistake that Rarity was chosen to make a grand appearance in every sense of the word.

Uncertainty is another big part of the equation, and it is kind of interesting to think about what Rainbow Dash is uncertain about. I don't think she was too concerned about failing the Sonic Rainboom, at least not at the beginning. She'd failed it hundreds of times in practice so she had to have some expectation that it wasn't going to work. Why else have the first two phases anyway? I suspect that it was only later that she started worrying about what might happen afterwards. She may have been confident in herself, but as is commonly the case in Stage Fright, there is a sense of uncertainty about the reaction of others.

Rainbow Dash didn't mind failing all day long in front of Fluttershy, but once other ponies started giving her a hard time, she stopped being certain about how others would respond to her performance. (even failing the Sonic Rainboom was pretty spectacular) Especially the reactions of Princess Celestia and the Wonderbolts, who she isn't personally familiar with.

I've had a few discussions with people on the subject of whether or not Rainbow Dash is a self-confident pony or not, and I'm convinced that she is. Stage fright manifests physiologically as a "fight or flight" response, and Rainbow Dash didn't run away. I think this is part of the reason why, especially for physical activities, that the anticipation is so much worse than the actual event. Once she got started she was "Fighting," as it were.

Now that I've got that part out of the way, how about some silly things? Right after Rarity is admiring herself in the mirror, we see a placard advertising high heeled boots. How does that even work for ponies? Ponies are already standing on the tips of their toes! :P

Clearly there's some kind of pegasi magic that lets solid objects stay up in the clouds. If they can hold clothing up in the clouds then they have the capacity to hold solid objects. Alternatively, if the clothes are made out of clouds, if they can make hardhats out of clouds, then they can make solid objects out of clouds that can hold weight. My guess is that there's lots of different types of clouds (just like in real life)

I <3 the weather factory scene. Every part is amazing, but just like always, Pinkie Pie is the scene stealer with her spicy rainbows. (She steals scenes just as well as she steals corn cakes.)

The Wonderbolts don't get a lot of screen time, but the animators really do a good job making them look awesome. Coordinated aerial moves, or just rushing to action when somepony is in danger. So what if they get knocked out, they at least get knocked out with style.

"She just looked like such a nice pony." Fluttershy would make either the best or the worst judge, I can't tell which.

Why is Princess Celestia awarding the prize? I thought the Wonderbolts were supposed to be the judges. :P

Also: I am glad that the mean ponies weren't total jerks in the end. They may have had good reasons to be skeptical before, but once they realized they'd been proven wrong, they didn't hold a grudge.

I don't know what else I can say about this episode other than "omygoshomygoshomygosh!"

Now for the remix of the episode: Rainbow Rhapsody - Makkon

Now lets see, time to try to make a picture in one minute... Need to find a stopwatch here...

...Ok done. That was hard! Even using the eyedropper tool to pick colors that was a challenge.

rarity_1minute.jpg

• Like 1

The opening sequence has a pretty interesting setup by itself. I know Rainbow Dash has gotten some flak from people for pushing Fluttershy to assert herself, I get the impression that Fluttershy really does want to learn how to assert herself more. Later in this episode we hear her get excited and say "Did you see that? I was so assertive!" (Putting Your Hoof Down may have been in season 2, but it also exemplifies that part of her personality). And considering how miserable she gets when she ends up being pushed around (like in Green isn't Your Color) I suspect that Rainbow Dash might actually be giving cheering lessons by request. At the very least, I don't think she's trying to impose herself unfairly.

I'm ok with Dash being hard on Fluttershy, if only because it makes sense with her character, and she didn't stay that way. Also, we know that RD doesn't stay that way. Most notably, in Huricane Fluttershy, she pushes FS lightly, but lets her go. And then at the end, she deflects the bravery compliment to Fluttershy after she is complimented by one of her heroes.

Also, in the last shot, did anyone else notice that crazy blue tree with two trunks? Crazy!

Whoa!

Right at the end as a wingless Rarity is being held up by two pegasi and everypony is cheering there is Lyra doing her thing in the background, twice even. It's nice to know that it's not only Twilight that has access to cloudwalking spells.

While looking for that bit, (to make sure I hadn't imagined/wished it), I paused as winged Rarity was doing a spin for her presentation and suddenly 6 Ditzy/Derpys!

Bask in her grey and blonde glory!

Pinkie saying 'We still love you' to Rarity at the end, D'aaaw.

Speaking of crazy, how about that crazy weekend of studying?

Twilight says its a spell that allows Earth Ponies to fly for three days, but Rarity is a unicorn! Dun dun dunnn! (Foreshadowing? No, probably not.) Speaking of which, was anyone else on the edge of their seat the first time they saw Twilight trying to cast the "really difficult" spell? The music was so tense and then kaboom! I think that display of magic might have been more impressive than even lifting an Ursa Minor, and it was all in the presentation.

I can't say I was on the edge of my seat, but I do remember the look on Rarity's face just before the magic envelops her completely. It's a look that simply says "...umm."

Uncertainty is another big part of the equation, and it is kind of interesting to think about what Rainbow Dash is uncertain about. I don't think she was too concerned about failing the Sonic Rainboom, at least not at the beginning. She'd failed it hundreds of times in practice so she had to have some expectation that it wasn't going to work. Why else have the first two phases anyway? I suspect that it was only later that she started worrying about what might happen afterwards. She may have been confident in herself, but as is commonly the case in Stage Fright, there is a sense of uncertainty about the reaction of others.

Rainbow Dash didn't mind failing all day long in front of Fluttershy, but once other ponies started giving her a hard time, she stopped being certain about how others would respond to her performance. (even failing the Sonic Rainboom was pretty spectacular) Especially the reactions of Princess Celestia and the Wonderbolts, who she isn't personally familiar with.

I think the problem was that Rainbow Dash was worried about her image. She wanted to be seen performing this spectacular stunt, not failing miserably. She believed that the Wonderbolts would never let her join if they saw her fail her stunt. For some reason, she never thought far enough ahead to realise that maybe she should try something safer, instead of risking everything on a move she knew she'd have a hard time doing. Saying that, Rainbow doesn't really seem like the kind to think ahead, does she?

Now that I've got that part out of the way, how about some silly things? Right after Rarity is admiring herself in the mirror, we see a placard advertising high heeled boots. How does that even work for ponies? Ponies are already standing on the tips of their toes! :P

Ahaha, I never noticed that before! I imagine a pony wearing those would be very unbalanced (but not really a problem for a pony who moves mostly by flight, eh?)

Here's something I never noticed before. When we first see the Cloudsdale stadium, there is actually a huge cloud statue of Princess Celestia above the royal box. It's in the same style as Twilight's picture book from episode 1. Also in the same scene, happy bouncing Lyra on the far left!

Did anyone else think that Rarity looks really creepy with lipstick? I don't like heavy lipstick at the best of times, but on a pony... it's just weird.

...Ok done. That was hard! Even using the eyedropper tool to pick colors that was a challenge.

rarity_1minute.jpg

That's very good for just one minute! Such simplicity, yet you can tell exactly what it is.

thetest-1.jpg?t=1339372439

three pictures there. really great, right? :U

Screenshot2012-06-10at53026PM.png?t=1339372345

Screenshot2012-06-10at52940PM.png?t=1339372345

Screenshot2012-06-10at53201PM.png?t=1339372345

That's really good Angie! :-o Also that Apple bloom in the third picture is so adorable!

The birth of a meme, not exactly a frame of the show (hay, burn 10 seconds when I noticed)

SCOOT.jpg

Hee hee! That's cute!

hi hi

These 1 minute drawings are fun to see. I like Angie's unimpressed Scootaloo and chicken Scootaloo... actually, there's an awful lot of Scootaloo around here isnt there? Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that she's awesome? I'm not sure. Also, Silly Sweetie Belle, only pegasus ponies can sleep on clouds!

If I were a pegasus, I'm not sure which would be more awesome, being able to fly or being able to sleep on nice, soft, fluffy clouds. :)