PONIES the Anthology II

Whitehawke

not as good as the first one i'd say... a lot of refences i didn't get, and alot of things i jsut didn't find fun or funny... the space odyssey thing at the end was dull, probably cause i haven't seen the movie... and GOD was it long... I think should've shaved it down and have a couple of episodes rather than one long ass thing...

But there were some good parts i enjoyed... some...

Excellent video. I enjoyed the full length of it. Even when I didn't get the reference or the joke, I could still marvel at how professional and impeccable the editing was.

So yeah, very well made and entertaining video. Favorite part had to be the FFVI/Fluttershy suplex sequences. That just made me smile. :D

I'm not actually sure I've seen the first one; I might have to go watch that now.

I saw bits and pieces of it throughout the day. I caught parts of it while I was on line for Faust during the day, watched a good 20-40 minutes of it after they continued later in the Con, and then missed the last minute of it while waiting for De Lancie (Who had an ABSURDLY short line at the end of the convention...).

I honestly loved this more than the first one. The editing was excellent, the quality of sound and animation was fun, lip-synching was surprisingly spot-on at points.

There were quite a few references I DID get, but alot of them I did not. I could tell which ones people DID NOT GET, and some people did. The more obvious ones (Like "The Room" or Keyboard Cat) got huge ovations, while the lesser-known ones (The one song clip of "Day Man" from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia") where minimal in applause. I did like how it was spread out, because it kept it fresh and not bland and boring. The ones I got I CRIED LAUGHING at, and the ones I didn't...I laughed at how absurd some were anyways, xD

I especially appreciated the 2001: A Space Odyssey homage at the end. Being a huge movie buff, it was EXTREMELY well-done, right down to the technicolor transition near the end and "Daisy Bell".

It's clear they put EXTRA effort into this one. I certainly loved it, and I can't wait to see if we ever get a "Ponies: The Anthology 3"...

I've only been able to catch the opening bits so far. An hour and twenty minutes long is crazy! :-o

Heh. It's worth it though. There are some great moments in there. ;)

It had the same problems and successes of the first, just more of both. I think the first one had more memorable spots, but that was likely due to length. Had this been split up into three videos over time, you'd see less complains. And while I appreciated the 2001 spoof, I think it was a mistake. It was a long stretch of time devoted to one joke: "We're spoofing one of the most tediously paced films in history by being really, really tediously paced in comparison to the rest of the video."

That sort of joke is a bad idea 999998/999999 of the time, especially if there is no dialogue or real acting to carry it.

That is my only complaint.

There were four South Park references. I was happy.

wow, that was really good :^D usually when I watch things like this, I get, maybe, four references, but this time I got at least a third of them.

the part at 56:14 made me die. I love concerned children's advertising XD

I do have to agree with SteelEagle on the 2001 parody, however.

I loved it, but that's because I KNEW the pacing of "A Space Odyssey" and appreciated and understood such. For a video like Ponies: The Anthology, you expect it to be fast-paced and making jokes fast and furious. It just seems that they really could've just made the "2012: A Pony Odyssey" bit a separate video, or made it faster-paced and more akin to the rest of the video. Just felt uneven with the rest, I'd agree.

...still, I love everything about the parody. The beginning bit with Pinkie representing the monkeys at the beginning was just perfect, xD

• Like 1

I thought

probably the best-executed parody myself -- it was pitched like perfectly! (And you all know how I feel about G1 AJ!)

This was quite a video to watch. I agree the ending was a bit weak and the pacing was way off. I thought the credits were great as they were a parody of How to Train Your Dragon.

• Like 1

This one is hit and miss, depending on how Pop-Culturally savvy you are.

The SNL "Letter to my Sister" reference was hands down the BEST part.

"Ooooh what you saaaayyyy~"

The scene where Chrysalis defeated Celestia, and the music came in, is a reference to an SNL skit where whenever someone was shot, they'd fall in slow motion and that song would come in.

• Like 1

Finally watched it... and honestly my overall reaction was "Meh" but that's averaging in some "ugh this sucks" and a few "So...AWESOME!!!!" as well. I liked parts, I didnt like parts, it was insanely long...

To be honest, the first one was better, imo, but part of that might be I liked more of the songs form the first one, and I "got" more of the jokes. It feels almost like they were trying to do two different age groups or something - #2 has a radically different "Feel" to it imo...

Over all, I'd still give it a 'hoofs up' but really... outside of a few parts (no, I'm not gonna lie, the "Dash's Bragging" bit was the highlight of my day) it was mostly just average to me... didnt love it, didnt hate it... will watch it again though.

EDIT:

oh and I agree with those above, the last bit from 2001 really did not belong and really killed it... should have ended with the previous "is this the end?" sketch

Anybody share my opinion and think that maybe the creators should've just made the 2001 parody a separate video?

I mean, I loved it for how it was executed because I've actually SEEN 2001: A Space Odyssey. The problem with everyone else is that Bronies aren't all educated as well in film knowledge. Besides that, the movie was released in the 60s. That's putting ALOT of trust onto the viewers having seen it.

I'm sure if everyone had seen the film, the last bit would've been appreciated more. However, it comes off as just out-of-place in the fast-editing ways of The Anthology series. It's, essentially, the equivalent of what Family Guy does when they pull that Conway Twitty garbage.

Anybody share my opinion and think that maybe the creators should've just made the 2001 parody a separate video?

I mean, I loved it for how it was executed because I've actually SEEN 2001: A Space Odyssey. The problem with everyone else is that Bronies aren't all educated as well in film knowledge. Besides that, the movie was released in the 60s. That's putting ALOT of trust onto the viewers having seen it.

I'm sure if everyone had seen the film, the last bit would've been appreciated more. However, it comes off as just out-of-place in the fast-editing ways of The Anthology series. It's, essentially, the equivalent of what Family Guy does when they pull that Conway Twitty garbage.

I think the movie's been parodied far too often, specifically the final scenes.

Personally, I only liked the parody of the "Dawn of Man", because it actually stands fine on its own.

The other scenes basically tried way too hard to parody the movie while missing the drama/intrigue the original scenes had.

I can see why they wanted to finish the video with this, since they wanted to end with a bang, but a parody of a movie that's already been parodied MANY (better) times was not the wisest decision. An original scene of 20-30 seconds would have been better in my opinion.

• Like 1

You hit the nail on the head, Whitehawke.

I particularly enjoyed the "Dawn of Man" parody, because that bit of the film never gets enough love. It did indeed stand well on its own as a parody. In fact, I would've been perfectly fine with that being the parody, and that they could've moved onto the next bit of the video.

It seems like the rest did indeed parody it with the most-used bits and didn't use any newer material. HAL-9000 obviously was in it, along with the technicolor transition (Which is unfortunately also overused, because that is a spectacular work of effects by Mr. Kubrick).

I suppose it just would've been better if they kept it short and sweet, like every other bit of the video...

I think the entire video as a whole could have used better editing. I know they brought in a lot more talent for this project, which worked against it since they had too many cooks stirring the pot. A lot of the fluff, vague, overdone references, and parodies probably tacked an extra 30-40 minutes onto it that could have been used to make the rest of the video shine -- maybe with a focus on modern relevance and net culture over cinema. Quality is definitely preferable over quantity.