Should there be a MLP FIM movie

punky

Should There be a MLP FIM movie  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should There be a MLP FIM movie

• yes
    • no
    • unsure

Back in the 80's, Hasbro did three movies, each for their most popular franchises: My Little Pony, GiJoe, and Transformers (the only one that did any good was the Transformers movie. The GiJoe movie was...okay at best.) Now that they've rebooted all of these, I'm wondering if there's a Friendship is Magic movie on the horizon. What do you folks think? Heck, the second season finale was almost like a Disney movie.

What does a movie get us that double and triple part episodes do not?

Does this style of animation scale well to the big screen?

Would it be an adventure movie or have a more classic slice of life theme?

I'd see it.

But it isn't necessary.

I think if any movie was made, it would probably premiere on the Hub itself, with a lot of advertising hoopla around it -- sort of like Royal Wedding. It could have easily been a movie, it was done so well.

I would like to see pony get so popular that FiM could be on the big screen, but I just don't know if Hasbro would take that kind of financial plunge just yet -- I have no doubts that its quality and actual execution as a movie would be fantastic.

I'm not all that sure if FiM should get a big-screen motion picture or not. While the animation crew is probably up to the challenge, would there be enough families out there willing to pay tickets for a 2D-animated movie these days? It would probably be less financially risky to do a TV special or straight-to-iTunes* release instead.

* Take that, DVDs!

I think that a movie is potentially in the books. I'm of the opinion that Season 3 will have fewer episodes so they can work on a movie, based on some things I've heard around tumblr and EQD.

As for the big screen? I personally hope so. I'd gladly shell out to see it three to four times in theaters, and it'd be a great way to see just how many bronies there are in your area. Granted yes it would be a financially risky move, but I think Hasbro has been testing the waters for their market to see if it's a feasible plan of action.

We likely won't even hear about carefully placed whispers of a movie being in production until fall of 2013 unfortunately. Season 1 was the unintended magical hook, season two they reached out to us to see if we were really listening. I think Season 3 will be testing the waters to see if we're really a sound consumer base to target off to the side. They've tossed us scraps so far, lets see where we (the bronies and hasbro) lead each other with Season 3.

But considering the last gens all got movies, I think the least we can expect would be a straight to TV movie.

Much of my reasoning has already been said but I prefer backing up my vote to 'trying to avoid repeating posts'

Firstly, I would love a movie, the animators, writers, music crew and all the rest I haven't mentioned are certainly up to it.

I believe it may have to be a non-cinema production as a 2D 'big-screen' production is less likely to sell to those that finance/green light such things. It is almost guaranteed that bronydom would turn out to see it as well as families but that brings risks of its own. I have no idea how large we are as a demographic (1 or 2m? More?) and although it may seem a large number, very large numbers are needed to justify AAA productions. It also leads to the idea of selling/aiming it at a (widely) split demographic. Do you market it at your adult audience and risk alienating your primary market (E.g. grown up references, midnight showing etc) or do you aim at your primary market and risk backlash from the adult fandom and the media which is already giving grief. (e.g. saturday afternoon, pre-Christmas release; shock and horror at [insert comic book guy stereotype here] daring to show up at a childrens theatre, said stereotype loudly complaining that it doesn't live up to his standards by being too childish and 'dumbed down' etc)

To re-iterate, I have no doubt the MLP team could do it, they've already done it and are continuing to do so. It's those people in bold and the blessed mainstream media I would have concerns with.

Personally, I would love to see a MLP movie. As others have already said, the cast/team are up to the task, but I think the main concern is (as others have said) if Hasbro will take the plunge on it. And we can't forget what could happen if the movie (do I dare say it?) is.... bad or lacking in some way. That could severely damage the fandom, and provide further "disapproval" from non-bronies (i.e. 'even your movie wasn't good to you guys'). But, then again, the FiM team is great at what they do, and I'm pretty sure they could pull off a good movie.

It's like my movie.

Ryan Reynolds and the other actors are ready

Robert Liefield and the writers from Zombieland are ready.

Tim miller is ready to direct.

Normally this would add up to the perfect "Deadpool" movie.

But FOX is afraid of low box office sales. and keeps delaying/lowering the budget.

I think MLPFiM has good enough potential to make a nice tv-movie, with such a dedicated team making the tv-series I am sure they would get even busier with a movie and make it really glorious. It takes good a good cast of both actors and artists to make a successful movie based on a tv-series, which MLPFiM has, so yeah would definitely like to see that!

And yeah the Canterlot Wedding would've made a nice movie ^^ With a movie the visuals would probably have even more work behind it, would've made the episode ever nicer :0

Much of my reasoning has already been said but I prefer backing up my vote to 'trying to avoid repeating posts'

Firstly, I would love a movie, the animators, writers, music crew and all the rest I haven't mentioned are certainly up to it.

I believe it may have to be a non-cinema production as a 2D 'big-screen' production is less likely to sell to those that finance/green light such things. It is almost guaranteed that bronydom would turn out to see it as well as families but that brings risks of its own. I have no idea how large we are as a demographic (1 or 2m? More?) and although it may seem a large number, very large numbers are needed to justify AAA productions. It also leads to the idea of selling/aiming it at a (widely) split demographic. Do you market it at your adult audience and risk alienating your primary market (E.g. grown up references, midnight showing etc) or do you aim at your primary market and risk backlash from the adult fandom and the media which is already giving grief. (e.g. saturday afternoon, pre-Christmas release; shock and horror at [insert comic book guy stereotype here] daring to show up at a childrens theatre, said stereotype loudly complaining that it doesn't live up to his standards by being too childish and 'dumbed down' etc)

To re-iterate, I have no doubt the MLP team could do it, they've already done it and are continuing to do so. It's those people in bold and the blessed mainstream media I would have concerns with.

The budget issue is the big issue. Though honestly if they make a movie, I hope they stick to their guns and gear it towards the kids like they have so far. The references and visual gags are fine and dandy, but it's not what started the massive following and kept it strong. Keep it pure, keep it positive and whimsical, and aim for the target demographic. I honestly think they'd LOSE bronies if they started overtly aiming for them. Shoutouts are nice, but it's not the cake.

We didn't see the Power Puff Girls movie until PPG had been on TV for about 4 years. Granted movies are easier to make now, and there's a new following behind MLP.

It's a tricky subject, and one that I'm POSITIVE has been bouncing around the board of directors over at Hasbro for quite some time. There's no way they wouldn't talk about this!

• Like 1

The budget issue is the big issue. Though honestly if they make a movie, I hope they stick to their guns and gear it towards the kids like they have so far. The references and visual gags are fine and dandy, but it's not what started the massive following and kept it strong. Keep it pure, keep it positive and whimsical, and aim for the target demographic. I honestly think they'd LOSE bronies if they started overtly aiming for them. Shoutouts are nice, but it's not the cake.

Exactly my thoughts and my biggest worry for future series. :scream:Please remember what formed the brony fandom in the first place decision makers!

I agree with most of the opinions that I've read so far, if their testing the waters with season 3 and its a total success, everything stays afloat , I think a movie should be on the horizon, a full -length story with a movie sized budget. The next issue would be what format to make it in and how to present it to MLP:FIM's drastic demographic. Now honestly I think any fan can agree, seeing something is better then nothing. Would a theater release seem like a impossible situation yes and no, is the Market and the general public so far gone to not accept a change, a 2-D animated feature, recent history will say yes but personally I'd love to see the company, Hasbro, go all out and in turn let the MLP:FIM team do the same. This is wishful thinking, it seems, so I will settle on options cause their are ones. So yes to there being a movie, and yes as a fan I will except this film in a theater, on a DVD rack, or in my own living room.

I think I would like to see a TV movie before a big screen release. I think Canterlot wedding was fine without being any longer. I do think Return of Harmony would have benefited from being longer however. That one would have made an excellent TV movie. The conclusion is just way too rushed

Oh come on, you know, eventually they are going to do an 80s Ninja turtles crossover, and it will be epic. And it will be aimed towards us. And it will be the cake.

A successful cartoon franchise cranking out a theatrical movie doesn't always work.

I fear a MLP FiM movie (unless it's REALLY, REALLY good) will flop at the box office and not help the ultimate cause of MLP FiM mainstream acceptance.

Think it'd be a bad move. MAYBE it COULD work as a 'Direct to DVD' offering, but even that is probably a financial risk Hasbro's not willing to task.