It's "pegacorn."

Dessa

Well there was the one time where Twilight refers to Cadance as a unicorn.....

I think that was left in the script from Faust's original draft. Lauren has said that she conceived of Cadance as a Unicorn, but it was changed after she was no longer on the project. The toy division probably had to do with that change IMO.

As for pegacorn... yeah, it sounds like a snack food. In at least one fan-fiction I've read, they used pegacorn to describe a pony that was a born from 1 pegasus and 1 unicorn parent. They couldn't fly, and had very weak magic.

If I were choosing for myself, I'd say "winged unicorn" like several above, I dont like "pegacorn" or "unisus" Probably the exact same reason Hasbro's running with Alicorn is because it's less awkward than the alternatives...

What does the interwebs say? Hello? Interwebs! Talk to me!

(From Answers.com)

Pegacorn: Unicorns with wings

- In Cantabria, northern Spain, there is a myth of a flying Unicorn with wings on its hooves, El Alicornio, which is where the whole Alicorn thing stems from. Alicornio may as well translate as Alicorn, so I would say alicorn as a winged unicorn was in fact correct

A winged horse is a pegasus, a horned horse is a unicorn, and a unicus is a winged and horned horse so the answer is unicus.

It is usually refered to as a Pegacorn (in the odd event it comes up in topic) but unicus may be accepted as a term for them.

An alicorn (from the Latin ala [wing]+cornu [horn])

I like that explanation. More accurate. Most of the bronies who are "Alicorns" accept that descriptive label. Though I do like the "Royal Pony" Idea.

Were there ponies that had wings AND horns prior to G4? What were they called back then? Do any of the packages of princess ponies have a type on them?

The collectible trading cards list the type for each pony. The Princesses are listed as unicorns and pegasus, but earth pony isn't highlighted.

As far as I can tell, the English word "alicorn" to refer to a winged unicorn is fairly resent with the earliest mention being in 1984. in the Piers Anthony Bearing an Hourglass. "Alicorn" as a unicorn horn goes back considerably further, and so has only been referring to unicorns for me, although I would imagine that a winged unicorn's horn would also be called "alicorn".

hi hi

The collectable trading cards were mostly put together with fan input, so I'm not really sure if they can count as canon any more than Applejack's Farm Truck can.

39928__safe_princess-celestia_princess-luna_edit_trading-card.jpg

What about demi-pony or polyquine?

Maybe what they need to do is just stop trying to mash words together and come up with a brand new one. Like Flufficus, Carisus, or I dunno Steve... :P

• Like 2

Maybe what they need to do is just stop trying to mash words together and come up with a brand new one. Like Flufficus, Carisus, or I dunno Steve... :P

Steve's a pretty name!

I appreciate that they didn't create a name for the cards, and that they clearly show them as all three.

Another question arises though: What is Shining Armor's status? Has he become royalty? He is excluded from the mini roster of royal ponies, even though he was introduced at the same time as Cadence. Where did you get those pics Ginger? Do you have a link to see them all?

I prefer Alicorn, simply out of habit and familiarity. This will not change my head cannon in any way. :P

I could accept a completely new word that is catchy, easy to spell, and whose sole purpose is to solve this dilemma though.

In all seriousness, I don't really care whether the FiM staff refers to royal ponies as alicorns, pegacorns, or whatever. Unless a name gets mentioned in an actual episode, there is no true canon term in my opinion. Just because the staff may internally favor "pegacorn" right now as a useful description doesn't mean that they want to make it their final-final term.

Steve's a pretty name!

I appreciate that they didn't create a name for the cards, and that they clearly show them as all three.

Another question arises though: What is Shining Armor's status? Has he become royalty? He is excluded from the mini roster of royal ponies, even though he was introduced at the same time as Cadence. Where did you get those pics Ginger? Do you have a link to see them all?

Think about this: Catherine Middleton is not a princess in any shape or form, because she was born common. However, she will [edit: NOT] be if certain ramifications are met*. That's a whole different discussion, but because SA wasn't born into the royal family, just a high-class Canterlot citizen, he isn't a Wingacorn because he's only ceremoniously royal, much like Kate.

*=EDIT: Entirely unrelated, but it's not possible for Kate to be a princess, ever. She may be Queen, but she'll have to make the jump from Duchess to Queen.

I found some additional scans of cards HERE.

Of note:

1) Earth pony is not selected for the Tri-ponies?! I hope that Ginger's are the more up to date versions.

2) Shining armor is included as Royaly...as is Twilight?!

3) Shining Armor and Cadence have been given an element of harmony...they are both "Love".

My doubts about these cards are strengthening. There seem to be two sets.

• Like 1

hi hi

Those ones I found may be more up to date versions, I don't know. Remember, these were made by three fans consulting for Enterplay, so there's a reasonable chance that the stuff on these cards isn't going to match up with the show.

Maybe in the new Discord episode, he'll coin a sarcastic name for the Princesses that will stick? How ironic would that be?

2) Shining armor is included as Royaly...as is Twilight?!

I told you all that Twilight was the royal heir! I told you! :P

lol but seriously, I think somone was drunk when making the cards with all the errors... Or they were translated from Japanese to English by a native swahili speaker...

However, they spelled "armour" wrong >: (

"Armor" is the American English spelling.

Ginger, I'm going to have to listen to that show when I get a chance.

lol but seriously, I think somone was drunk when making the cards with all the errors... Or they were translated from Japanese to English by a native swahili speaker...

That's kinda harsh. I'm sure these things are difficult. And many of the errors are down right reasonable. Like omitting the Earth Pony from the Tri-ponies. Since earth ponies don't have distinguishing characteristics, it takes some deep thought to recognize their earth pony nature. They did so many things right, that the errors are especially glaring.