korok132

Pronouncing Lyra's name  

41 members have voted

1. 1. "Lie-rah" or "Lee-rah"?

• Lie-rah
    • Lee-rah
    • Both
    • Other

It's derived from lyre, so, yeah, "lie-rah", :)

Lyre is is already a weird world. phonetically, "lie-er", you might think to just swap the 'e' and 'a' sound, but that makes "lie-ar" which I would guess most people believe is wrong. But once you decide the direct sound transposition is incorrect, aren't all bets off?

Pronunciations of names is subjective. If we go by etymology, then lie-ra (/ˈlīrə/ according to IPA) is correct. However, in terms of what is possible, then lee-ra (/'lirə/) is correct as well, because the y in American English is capable of both sounds. (see words like city and lye (or it you prefer "why"), same letter different sounds). (I just noticed, same letter THREE different sounds). Heck in etymology there are two different pronunciations right there!

If you wish to pronounce it according to etymology, that is your prerogative. If others want to pronounce it according to their preference of what is possible in the English language that is fine too. Names are very variable in terms of pronunciation. Some parents INSIST on naming their kids something with a weird spelling and having it pronounced a certain way. And honestly, if we all went by strict etymology with names (remember that a lot of names are derived from greek, latin and arabic), then I have an odd feeling that many people's names would be pronounced differently than what it is commonly pronounced as. I know my name would be pronounced differently. My father pronounced my name according to its etymological roots, because his language didn't support the soft vowel sounds (many languages don't).

So I say both are fine and dandy. And until Lyra gets called out in the series, I won't call either official canon.

(I will say that Lyra is the name of a constellation, but that is from the Latin roots of the word Lyre in the first place, so its unfair to call that the official pronunciation because of that.)

So I was all set to say that Leer-ah was how I say it because that has been the case based on how I've heard lyre pronounced. And that has apparently been wrong.

http://visual.merriam-webster.com/pronunciation.php?id=arts-architecture/music/06740&title=lyre

So "Dear Princess Celestia, Today I learned it pays to look things up before posting on the internet because even if you've 'known' something for years you can be wrong!"

While I am not confidant in my pronounciation, neither am I completely convinced by any of the dogmatic responses thus far. I would certainly welcome an official word and would change my mind at that point...

What, weeshy didn't like my American IPA explanation? :(

What, weeshy didn't like my American IPA explanation? :-(

I didn't like it because it made me feel dumb : )

Also, your post was the least dogmatic in the entire thread, leaving room for other possibilities, which is apt since in is unknown if the creator of the name took IPA into consideration.

The interesting thing about this problem is that it is difficult to pinpoint the authority over the name. Lyra can't speak for herself. Hasbro would qualify if they had created the character and had voiced the name in the show. Does any one know who named her? If we found out that that guy had a specific interpretation in mind, would we defer to them? What about the standard pronunciation guides? Possible, but she lives in the same world as DJ-Pon3. Should the authority be based on consensus? That isn't a terrible route, but neither is it completely satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...