MLP:FiM Book Discussion Thread

Bellosh

It seems we have quite a lot of MLP books heading our way next year. From the latest press release:

Celebrated artist Mary Jane Begin introduces fans to a brand-new land in the world of MY LITTLE PONY – the underwater city of Aquastria, ruled by KING LEO. When TWILIGHT SPARKLE receives an invitation to visit the underwater world, she invites all her pony friends and SPIKE to travel with her. Together, they learn of the long-held rivalry between the
seaponies
and the
mermares
, and must navigate the oceanic world, confront danger, make new friends, and race to the finish in this adventure that takes place in a shimmering new MY LITTLEPONY world that has never been seen before!

-------

TWILIGHT SPARKLE AND THE CRYSTAL HEART SPELL is the first book in a brand new chapter book series. Each book will feature a different pony character and an original story that ties in with events in the MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC, animated television series. Books will be released every three months and will feature bonus activity pages

-------

In MEET THE PONIES OF PONYVILLE, a Level 1 Reader (part of Little, Brown Books for Young Readers’ leveled reading program, Passport to Reading), the youngest of pony readers can read all about their favorite characters

WELCOME TO EQUESTRIA is a four-colour illustrated storybook that explores all of Equestria, from Ponyville to Canterlot ($3.99 / Ages 4-8).

-------

And perhaps one of the most anticipated releases for Pony fans of all ages is MY LITTLE PONY: THE ELEMENTS OF HARMONY (“THE FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC” OFFICIAL GUIDEBOOK), which includes extensive character bios, a complete episode guide and a map of Equestria, which will appear in print for the first time. Don't miss the complete lyrics to all the songs, a guide to the friendship lessons TWILIGHT SPARKLE and her friends have learned, and get Pony Words of Wisdom – so you can live your life in harmony with all other creatures ($14.99 / Ages 12 & up).

I can't believe that FiM is going to get even more of an expanded universe outside the show and the comics. :-o

Sea pony book sounds interesting, and I think that art is kinda nice actually. Might be worth looking into so as we can get more canon seapony lore introduced to the board too.

I'll have to hear more about these book though to determine if they're worth it. Kinda hard to tell.

People complain about all non-comfortive non-fan art that is aimed at the main demographic. The art looks fine. Excited for the guidebook. Crystal Heart Spell is ages 6-9? That's about the age that books are, you know, actual books. I wanna see how many pages it is before I decide on getting it. The Guidebook is already gonna be ALL MINE.

Note:

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/trenton-lee-stewart/the-mysterious-benedict-society/9780316003957/

- Another subformat middle grade book, like the Crystal Spell, and it stands at 512 pages.

Just a comment about the Sparkling Sea art:

Notice how the Mane 6 have gill-like things around their necks? Seems like normal ponies have a magical means of breathing underwater.

Spike has to make due with a glass helmet, haha.

Expanded plot summaries:

:

This gorgeous illustrated picture book features a brand-new My Little Pony underwater adventure, and includes an exclusive art poster!

When Twilight Sparkle receives an invitation to visit the underwater city of Aquastria, she invites all her pony friends and Spike to travel with her. The ponies are welcomed by the ruler of Aquastria, King Leo, who sits on the Cosmic Council alongside his cousin, Princess Celestia. There is a long-held rivalry between the seaponies and the mermares. The two groups compete each year in a race for the grand prize, which is a beautiful pearl. Join the ponies and Spike as they confront danger, make new friends and race to the finish in this shimmering new world!

:

Twilight Sparkle is a very special Pony and a loyal apprentice of Princess Celestia. Twilight Sparkle's life has been turned upside down by recent exciting events in Ponyville, so she sets off for the Crystal Empire to get advice from her former foalsitter, Princess Cadance. Join Twilight Sparkle in this original and brand-new adventure!

Don't miss the special purple activity pages in the back of the book!

So far, I see nothing to indicate that the quality of the storylines will be inferior to that of the standard slice-of-life episodes. And of course, there's all the world-building opportunities that Under the Sparkling Sea will bring (I assume book titles are not spoilers), so that'll be cool.

Under the Sparkling Sea:

The ponies are welcomed by the ruler of Aquastria, King Leo, who sits on the Cosmic Council alongside his cousin, Princess Celestia.

Well, that's a massive piece of world-building right there, if the books can be taken as canon. I hope these were written in close consultation with the show writers, because... a Cosmic Council? That's pretty huge. Presumably Luna is on it, too. And they really are hinting that they're going to need somepony to look after the stars, too...

Well, that's a massive piece of world-building right there, if the books can be taken as canon. I hope these were written in close consultation with the show writers, because... a Cosmic Council? That's pretty huge. Presumably Luna is on it, too. And they really are hinting that they're going to need somepony to look after the stars, too...

Wait, since when did Celestia let Luna leave the castle?

• 3 weeks later...

Lets all take a moment and realize that Celsistia has a cousin so that means

A.) Luna got married and had kids one of them being Leo.....

B.) Celistia has another sister or brother that had kids....

0___________o

Celestia and Leo being cousins would actually mean that one of Celestia and Luna's parents had a brother or sister, being one of the parents of Leo.

Of course, that assumes that we can really take words like "sister", "cousin", "niece" and "nephew" to mean the same things for ponies like Celestia as they do for mortal ponies or humans. I'm not 100% convinced that Celestia and Luna are sisters in the sense of both having been foaled from the same physical mother, or even if they were conventionally "foaled" at all.

Lets all take a moment and realize that Celsistia has a cousin so that means

A.) Luna got married and had kids one of them being Leo.....

B.) Celistia has another sister or brother that had kids....

If Cadance is Celestia's niece, it's kind of already been established the sisters must have another sibling. Plus, the whole Prince Blueblood thing.