Fireplace? Check!

Newspaper? Check!

Expensive, purring cat? Check!

Top hat, monocle, pipe? Check!

Paper moustache? Check!

Turkish apple tea? Check!

Vuvuzela? Check!

Makeshift firecracker? Check!

No neighbours? ...They're old, good enough!

My checklist for 11:45 PM, 12/20/12, AKA tomorrow.

I've been looking into all the dumb theories for this crop, and all of the reasoning too. Turns out, I fell for it when I thought the Mayans used the Aztec sunstone, and that it was just too darn big!

• Like 1

OH NOES!

I just took this picture outside my window!

7015_10100534962492834_204451130_n.jpg

ONLY 31 HOURS REMAIN!

*Flails about* I can only hope the Hero of Time has the Ocarina to save us all! (Or the Doctor... he is usually good with that)

http://www.terriblefate.com/

But, anyway, I think 2012 is a bunch of ****. Just because some race that's already dead "predicted" it, doesn't mean it will come true. One of my friends, however, did say he was legitimately scared for the end of the world. Because of some dude named Nostradamus predicting it too or whatever. *shrugs*

But, anyway, I think 2012 is a bunch of ****. Just because some race that's already dead "predicted" it, doesn't mean it will come true. One of my friends, however, did say he was legitimately scared for the end of the world. Because of some dude named Nostradamus predicting it too or whatever. *shrugs*

“From the calm morning, the end will come

When of the dancing horse

the number of circles will be 9.”

That? BS. Besides, Nostradamus only wrote prophecies in lines of four. Count the lines here, bucko.

When did the Mayans predict the world was going to end? Last I checked, they didn't. Neither Nostradamus nor Mayans predicted anything.

• Like 1

Stop the presses!

I have breaking news about December 21st!

Aparantly the Mayans were correct that history would change but they were wrong about the world ending.

But I have discovered the truth using a ball of lint, a stone that has a face that looks like Elvis and a Justin Beiber song slowed down and played backwards.

The truth is:

Equestria will merge with Earth and ponies will be here fore real!!! :)

(Or so I wish. Sigh...)

• Like 3

Stop the presses!

I have breaking news about December 21st!

Aparantly the Mayans were correct that history would change but they were wrong about the world ending.

But I have discovered the truth using a ball of lint, a stone that has a face that looks like Elvis and a Justin Beiber song slowed down and played backwards.

The truth is:

Equestria will merge with Earth and ponies will be here for real!!! :)

tumblr_lb10zb94uN1qe91wdo1_250.gif

8ca.jpg

This just got real.

• Like 2

Ok, listen up folks. There's a lot of misleading information being passed around in this thread, even though it's a joke thread. And just for the sake of putting this up here because I find it interesting:

The Maya (not Mayans) still exist.

The Mayan Long Count Calendar is where the dates stop counting tomorrow-ish.

That's all. That is the end of their involvement. It is only one of several calendars they used, quite a few centuries ago (and was even considered obsolete several centuries before Columbus even set foot in the Americas), and they were used in conjunction. It is kind of like one of those calendars that had clickwheels, but the year date only went so high. See below. The circles represent day, a longer hard to explain time period (that is shorter than a year), and finally, the long count, which identifies an even longer and hard to explain time period (that is comprised of several years).

wheel.png

Why is it so weird to us? They liked math and astronomy. a LOT. There are MANY different ways to do math, and most of what we learn today is just a standardized form based on the way the Greeks figured out things. The Maya did it a little differently because if you don't know how to do a thing you make up your own rules based on what works for you. Apparently this worked for them, and was fairly accurate. I think it's mostly base 20 is the main difference instead of base 10 or base 12 or 60 (time) like most of us are used to.

Yes, they did account for the 1/4 day that the earth's revolution is actually off of the 365 days.

Why do the dates stop? Because it's a physical object and you can only put so much detail on it. If the Maya were still around in the same way culturally today as they were way back before even Columbus showed up, they probably would have just made a new one. Alas, they were assimilated into everyday Mexican and Central American life, and retain some but not all of their cultural identity. A lot of them are also laughing at how funny it is that people are freaking out about something their ancestors made. Some of them are pretty annoyed that people keep saying they're an extinct race, though.

it should also be noted that this below is not the Mayan calendar. It is the Aztec. The Aztecs are the civilization that are ACTUALLY extinct. Not the Maya. They lived around what is now Mexico City. They were similar in many ways, but distinct, as they were much more brutal than the Maya.

mayan-calendar.jpg

The world ENDING Prophecies were started by a bunch of New-agers in the 70s and 80s.

Picked up steam because barely anyone on the internet bothers to fact check. I swear, Google Mayan Calendar and most of the photos will be of the Aztec.

But prophecies are what you make of them. You can use 12/21/12 as an opportunity TO re-invent the world as a period of enlightenment like the books have said if you want. Just make it a better place.

Or you can do what I am going to do and use it as an excuse to blast Rush's 2112 12 times.

• Like 4

How in Celestias name does any method involving such a thing NOT predict the end of the world? Even if it is slowed down and backwards.

Well, predicting the fate of mankind is not an exact science.

The thing is that even if it did, what could you do about it? Nothing. But the one thing people never seem to ask is what does it mean: "End of the World?" What definition of the word world are we using? Do you mean the planet earth? Doubtful as it would take a HUGE and I mean HUGE HUGE natural catastrophe or some man made nuclear war to end the planet so odds are it's not that. Do you mean the world as we know it, being that the current systems of government, society and ways of thinking will end? Possible, seeing as the world is filled with people clamoring for reformations, which might have to become full on revolutions to gain any sort of active power in the society as the current status quo is highly against change. Will the enviroment change? Well its winter where I live and we have not gotten a single drop of snow, in fact it is not even that cold where I am so maybe thats a sign of some serious enviromental goings ons. Civilized world could collapse, after all Rome did and the way I see it it could happen again as history does repeat it self, mostly cause no one bothers to learn from it, and since I live in america given the current economic challanges we are facing, and the ever approaching fiscal cliff which no party can decide upon an agreement yet as we edge closer and closer that could send the economy back into a recession, perhaps a depression, who knows.

The thing is, the mayan calender does not even say doomsday, it just ends there and the real translation of that is the ending of one cycle and the beginning of another. The beginning of a new cycle could mean change, and I guess for many people in the world change could be seen as the end of the world. Sadly, you can't prevent change, human nature is to constantly adapt and change, and the world will not allow change to be prevented. Just look in history and see that no matter how we might have wished to stop it, in the end change wins out over our fear and determination to prevent it. The only thing that people should do is stop trying to prevent change, as to do so is to go against your very nature and to continually prevent a change in our broken society is to allow all the evils that it breeds to continue and to cause a greater loss of life and safety in the battle to prevent change. Change will happen, and it can either be accepted and passed through harmlessly or it can be chained and barred outside till it finally has to break down the door and crush those who are trying to keep it shut and those caught in the crossfire.