weesh still thinks MLP is only for girls

weesh

The other day I was asking a boy what he wanted for his 6th birthday. When he asked for MLP stuff, I tried to steer him towards something else. I have jumped to fulfill the pony desires of his sister.

This may imply that after 11.5 months of being a brony, I still consider it...bad...for guys to like it.

Is there an alternative explanation?

I suppose our society's gender roles are so ingrained in all of us that even if we're MLP fans, there will be some stuff about the show that'll be difficult to embrace. Things like the opening theme song, for instance. :P

The other day I was asking a boy what he wanted for his 6th birthday. When he asked for MLP stuff, I tried to steer him towards something else. I have jumped to fulfill the pony desires of his sister.

This may imply that after 11.5 months of being a brony, I still consider it...bad...for guys to like it.

Still in the denial phase, huh?

• Like 3

I'm a fat guy that consider being overweight bad for one's health, but heh, bring on the ice cream tubs!! More lard! more lard! Yayy!

*de-idiotizing me now*

Heh, comrade you seem to have doubts of bronyism as a good thing on your own, subconsciously you want to free him of your 'ill' I believe quite a lot of people experienced it, I still got moments of "What's wrong with me and ponies?" I look my brushables, my plushie, my everything pony related... Is not that wrong, like it isn't to still enjoy videogames of youth, I still got a Genesis and a good deal of Sonic paraphernalia, even more than Pony stuff I have. Satisfy his pony need, if it sticks on him, the more we are the merrier, otherwise, he would keep his brony memories as a 'ugly' skeleton on his wardrobe. (for more funnies, picture him unboxing some ponies, you would ensure free life-long muscle help for moves)

This makes me sad, I can think of some alternatives, but none of them are any better. :(

I know! Me too!

Sorry to disappoint you...

Maybe you were subconsciously thinking that due to gender stereotypes, his friends might make fun of him for liking ponies?

Hmmm. Seems possible. Either way I need to do some soul searching.

---

There is one other thing that occurred to me. Right now I am his only source for the actual show, and he asked for DVDs. If he can watch the show without me, then my coming over may be less special to him. We normally watch at least one episode per visit as it is. This fear may be irrational, but I am not always rational.

Honestly I don't know what to tell you.

Truth is you may have just been thinking that kids are harsher at younger ages. At that age ponies are for girls and trucks are for boys. It's much easier for us to be comfortable in the things we like. I assume most of us here at least between middle school age. At six, being a boy with MLP toys would, in all seriousness probably alienate him and stunt his you know, social development or something.

As for that fear, yeah its a bit irrational. Even if he watched them all it just wouldn't be the same as watching them with another fan of the show. He would probably gladly rewatch them with you. I watch spice and wolf with my friend on blu-ray, I also watch it online, but I rewatch the same episodes with him in person because its fun.

Honestly I don't know what to tell you.

Truth is you may have just been thinking that kids are harsher at younger ages. At that age ponies are for girls and trucks are for boys. It's much easier for us to be comfortable in the things we like. I assume most of us here at least between middle school age. At six, being a boy with MLP toys would, in all seriousness probably alienate him and stunt his you know, social development or something.

As for that fear, yeah its a bit irrational. Even if he watched them all it just wouldn't be the same as watching them with another fan of the show. He would probably gladly rewatch them with you. I watch spice and wolf with my friend on blu-ray, I also watch it online, but I rewatch the same episodes with him in person because its fun.

In my experience, it isn't the six-year olds that have that. Maybe a little, but if you just show up with a pony and play with it, it's fine. It's around eight/nine that it becomes a problem and by Middle School it becomes acidic.

In my experience, it isn't the six-year olds that have that. Maybe a little, but if you just show up with a pony and play with it, it's fine. It's around eight/nine that it becomes a problem and by Middle School it becomes acidic.

Might be the way kids are depending on where we're located. Down here when kids are 6 being slightly different from the kids around you can make you forever alone until they meet more kids. Middle school down here is about the time were everything went pretty lax and kids stopped caring what you did as long as you were fun to hang with.

Might be the way kids are depending on where we're located. Down here when kids are 6 being slightly different from the kids around you can make you forever alone until they meet more kids. Middle school down here is about the time were everything went pretty lax and kids stopped caring what you did as long as you were fun to hang with.

Heh, wish I woulda lived in your neighborhood in middle school. Here in small town Grand Haven, Middle schoolers are the most judgemental of everyone. And the most violent :(

It's best to let the child decide what he likes and try not to stir him or her to one extreme or the other. By doing that you finalize the stereotypical, and sadly strongly desired by society, gender roles into them. In order for the strain of what is masculine and feminine to end and stop the bullying and other torments that those who are accused of liking what society would dictate as deviating from the gender role of the person in question is to let them go on their own way and let their developing personalities take the steering wheel.

True he or she might be bullied, but I think they will be happier with themselves in the end because they arn't trying to live up to an expectation that frankly their personalities and mind don't want to connect with. Why do you think alot of boys in some places grow up to be violent, mean, cruel and when they reach adulthood partake in crimes like robbery and such because they were raised to be that way due to the expectations the current idea of masculine gender means: To be assertive, aggressive and such.

Of course, I'm not a psychology major so this is just my limited knowledge of psych gives me.

I always get this feeling with my little brother all the time. Now, I might be wrong for thinking like this, but I only wish for him the best and want him to become a better person than I am. I'm not his parent, but I can't help getting this feeling towards his growth. :/

He sees me buying an RD toy, yet I wouldn't like to see him buy one because I feel like he just shouldn't...yet.

The thing is, I don't want him to grow up differently than I have. Then again...my little pony wasn't as good back then.

I did used to watch Power Puff Girls when I was a kid...meh...

I think it's perfectly normal, Weesh. If he really wants the My Little Pony toy, get 'em one. I don't think it 'ruins his chances of better masculinity'. Now, I'm not sure if you were worrying about that, but I tend to, sometimes.

Heh, wish I woulda lived in your neighborhood in middle school. Here in small town Grand Haven, Middle schoolers are the most judgemental of everyone. And the most violent :(

Dang really? Honestly, In my 23 years of life and all my schooling I've never seen any bullying or alienating. Fights were relatively rare and usually came about because of a petty power struggle.

Personally, anytime I hear my little brother get excited by a new episode, or hear he wants to have an RP session with me involving some crazy pony crossover, i get really proud of him. He has gotten picked on about it, but I always tell him I get picked on a lot too, and to not let it bother him. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what some kid thinks of him at school. What matters most is what he thinks of himself. Then I usually say they are just missing out. ;)

• Like 1

Dang really? Honestly, In my 23 years of life and all my schooling I've never seen any bullying or alienating. Fights were relatively rare and usually came about because of a petty power struggle.

Yup. Happened all the time. High school is different though, because here people don't care for the most part. I still get picked on, but it's mostly by incompetent blubbering fools with terrible grammer, so mostly I'm too busy laughing at them to listen to what they are actually saying.

I'm not as worried about how I will respond to him in the future. Logically I understand that it is ok for me or other guys to want MLP stuff. The surprise was the initial rooting out of the sexism, which makes it easier to reject later on.