Friendship Is Magic Issue #3 Thread

Bellosh

I purchased the regular cover (Which I actually prefer over the special ones this time around) from Midtown. There's a preview, but I tried to skip over it..Saw a few images, but did not read it. The preview has like eight pages! Too much! :-|

It's the Changelings vs the Care Bears (Or Care Kitties). It's not pretty. Basically they show what happens after they were kicked out of Canterlot.

Guys this is the official thread...just like an episode thread, no need for spoiler tags here, unless they are for a future issue.

Personally, I plan on purchasing physical copies of the series, because I will continue to read them to kids, and lend them to friends/family.

Things I liked:

• In the last issue, everyone getting mad at each other was just a fit of passion. they figured out that they were being manipulated. this is great because it makes me feel better about my least favorite part of the last issue.
  • The CMC had a good line with the dentistry thing.
  • The artist drew a fine looking chupacabra, and I enjoyed the looks of horror after Twilight and Fluttershy saw the twigs in each other's hair
  • Rainbow's and Fluttershy's wings look wonderful, even if, or maybe especially because, they are bigger than they are in the show.
  • The knowledge that banishing the changelings rather than destroying them caused horror to another land is deep and thought provoking
  • the spike intro/outro was amusing and different. They are really keeping each issue fresh.
  • Banter between Crysalis and her minions was amusing
  • The pony katamari was well drawn, especially pinkie's reaction to it
  • Fluttershy was the only one NOT horrified by nature taking it's course? That is a side of my favorite nature lover that I have not seen yet.
  • The plot of the series seemed a little wonky at first, but it is somewhat explained, which makes me more comfortable.
  • Changelings OTHER than the queen talking is a good thing.

Looks like it. I just got my copy in the mail today. And I didn't get the cover I wanted! Boo! :oops:

I got the cute one with Pinkie and Twilight cover. Wanted the cover listed above. HOWEVER, I will be getting the

Hoof To Hoof..Or horn to horn..Or even Queen's teeth to Twilight's neck

cover for issue #4. Best one yet. Tis a shame we can't get an adventure type episode like this on the show. The world of Azeroth looks like Disneyworld compared to the nasties that roam uncivilized Equestria. And seriously..

did the Changeling Queen just eat (or kill) a kitten right in front of three little girls? That is some major evil right there.

Also kind of bummed that the current team is only on till..I think #5? Or was it #4?

And speaking of #4

Gotta love the Saint Patrick's day cover. Lyra doing a jig..Berry Punch doing her thing...A rather creepy Leprechaun Spike? o_O

Also, the costumes Pinkie has. Is it me, or do they remind me of those American FIM plushies they have in stores? With the noodle hair?

Taco, no wonder I felt like I was talking to myself, I had thought that had your issue in hand before I did.

Looks like it. I just got my copy in the mail today. And I didn't get the cover I wanted! Boo! :oops:

I got the cute one with Pinkie and Twilight cover. Wanted the cover listed above.

I saw both, and decided to go with the happy looking cover. I wasn't impressed with either.

And seriously...did the Changeling Queen just eat (or kill) a kitten right in front of three little girls? That is some major evil right there...

Seems like it. It is not clear what consuming the love looks like but it was certainly horrifying to the CMC.

Also, the costumes Pinkie has. Is it me, or do they remind me of those American FIM plushies they have in stores? With the noodle hair?

If that was on purpose, that was a low blow! And quite funny!

If there is no connection, then it was a lame part of the issue, which is ok because they did so much of the rest of it right.

I liked this issue like I have with the others, but two things did lift my eyebrow. First off, this clearly is the darkest canon story we've seen yet in the FiM canon, with cats getting tossed around and having the love sucked out of them left-and-right. Fluttershy's comments about predator rivalry were also fascinating to read, since the show doesn't usually comment on how some of the meat-eaters she cares for consume...... well, meat. XD

I give this issue a 4 out of five like usual, though I suppose Rarijack shippers will give this one a 5/5. :D

I saw both, and decided to go with the happy looking cover. I wasn't impressed with either.

Really? I rather liked the Changeling Mane 6 cover..And one I got stuck with is very pretty, and it looked like something Mary Blair would have done, if she were still alive and drew ponies. And it's nice to see Twilight eventually learned how to skate. The other covers were pretty nice as well. But nowhere near as cool as the ones we're getting for #4.

Seems like it. It is not clear what consuming the love looks like but it was certainly horrifying to the CMC.

And the big and rather messy THUMP really give you the hint that Mister Kitty probably ran out of his eight lives after that scene.

Really? I rather liked the Changeling Mane 6 cover..And one I got stuck with is very pretty, and it looked like something Mary Blair would have done, if she were still alive and drew ponies. And it's nice to see Twilight eventually learned how to skate. The other covers were pretty nice as well. But nowhere near as cool as the ones we're getting for #4.

In retrospect, I might have gone with the edgier and more creative version.

However, I got to the comic shop with no idea what covers existed, and I don't make quick decisions well. So I just decided to let cuteness prevail. I am not disappointed. Both are FAR superior to the spider covers from last month.

Oh yeah. I liked how Katie Cook drew the ponies on the covers and the spiders were cute. And I normally like covers that reflect what's inside, but I haven't got one like that yet...so far I got (#1) The Derpy taking a comic book bath cover, #2 The Doctor Hooves cover and now 3# the Mary Blairish comic. Still #4, I'll be getting the

Twilight Vs Queen Chrysalis cover, which from the look of it is also from the comic inside as well. Horn vs horn. And probably the Queen's teeth vs Twilight's neck. Owie.

I got my copies the day they came out and am happy to have done so. The plot's coming along nicely, amd I really enjoy Chrysalis. Nice to see they can make her a villain in some ways worth fearing- the splat panel was unexpected and effective. The comedy was as usual great, lots of great moments for every character. The interactions are superb. Katie Cook could write an adventure two parter for the show effectively, I believe. The art is great and I'm with weesh: love the bigger wings.

Um.

I have a feeling she splattered the kitty on the CMC's cocoon, basically making them keep quiet for the moment, as they were blathering non-stop since they were captured..Hopefully they have a bathroom in that thing...

If I have one bone to pick with the series, it is that some of the expressions on the pony's faces have poor aesthetics. Specifically "fear" and "shock" but many others as well. There are too many lines drawn, and characters that should be cute even when they are terrified are not as such. Some of the expressions, like "exasperation" and "annoyance" are very close to the line, but still ok.