Okay, I'm excited now. I think things are looking up after the more lackluster Season 3.

So the elements of harmony are no longer available as the automatic I.W.I.N. button, so we should be seeing some more creative solutions to world-threatening problems. And the thing with the keys? Did they just set up a story arc that'll last for more than two episodes? I THINK SO.

And they really need to keep an eye on Discord. Like, even more so than before.

Yowza, what an episode!

The story was a lot more complex than any episode I've seen, to be honest! I notice the show's made some necessary changes, too, and it's almost as if the writing is different. I'm not complaining, because having Discord be the comic relief of the episode was fantastic!

Awesome episode...I liked the whole battle between Celestia and Nightmare Moon....With NM striking her sister directly in the heart. Looks like she wasn't going just to knock her out..She was going for the the kill...And Poor Celestia was crying during the end of the battle..Sniff. And ofcourse..This:

n1sy.png

• Like 1

Some additional thoughts:

1)So I guess we finally have an explanation for why the Everfree forest is creepy and filled with monsters. Though now that the tree is restored, would that mean that the forest is gonna become somewhat *less* evil?

2)Speaking of which, when the elements of harmony froze Discord and cleaned up *everything else* he did to Equestria, how come the seeds didn't disappear? Do the elements' energies not penetrate through the ground or something?

Further thoughts:

I feel like this episode represents a significant tonal shift for the series. I won't quite say that the content is darker, but it is certainly more mature. Instead of reacting like scared fillies or using Pinkie Pie's laugh trick like in "The Mare in the Moon" (S01E01-02), everypony in the Mane 6 knew their places and handled the enemies they confronted with swift, decisive action. They were willing to proceed at great risk and without complaint to accomplish their mission.

In addition, the dialogue seems less "kiddy," with the Mane 6's individual mannerisms coming across in their way of speaking rather than in the dialogue itself. The show grew up and even though it was wholly unexpected, I like it a lot.

Also that scene when Twilight cries over Celestia, where the music completely cuts out and it's just silence is far more impactful than I thought it would be. If we get more moments like that in S4 (in terms of impact, not in terms of ponies nearly dying), I'll be super happy.

• Like 1

Alright, finally got to see this today. I have to say the Season Opener was great!

I love that this episode helped clear up some questions I and others had about the series. Things like how exactly Celestia banished Nightmare Moon, how Discord fit into things, and where the Elements came from were great to show. I like how we see Discord as not being completely good but as a villain who is just playing along and may have a chance to prove he has changed. The idea of Twilight still getting used to her abilities and being a Princess are clear as we see some moments of determination and of doubt. Interesting to see how in Celestia's and Luna's absence Twi is no longer seen as just a friend but a Princess who must be protected. Yet I think the lesson is that as Discord said one shouldn't use power or position to not justify not being able to help.

The biggest thing I liked is the fact that the Elements are now for the moment put to rest. Not that these were a problem, but the season needs something new to focus on rather that the Mane Six defeating a certain villain with them. It also lends to how Lauren Faust initially saw the Elements as not jewelry per se but as a mysterious magical thing now made more magical being tied towards the Tree of Harmony. This basically is closing the book on seasons 1 through 3 which was about harmony and opens the door to something new.

Then there's the Locked Box. Obviously it has to do with Harmony in some way, but I don't think it's another magical weapon like the Elements were. Not sure yet what may be inside. Overall a great opener, perhaps the best of the four seasons so far.

Ok, here's my review! SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Have to admit, I was expecting more action and less 'flashbacks' BUT these flashbacks were entertaining, informative, and vital for the plot of this 2-parter, so I'm cool with them. That being said, one main point needs to be made. TECHNINCALLY, Discord WAS lying when he told the Mane 6 after they summoned him that he wasn't responsible for the plants and the damage they were causing. He knew the minute they started growing and taking over town what they were, he reveals this in the last part of the episode. And then, by actually spurring Twilight Sparkle to rejoin her friends, was Discord purposefully helping them succeed so that the Elements would be returned to the tree (and supposedly, out-of-play for further use against him?) Could Discord go 'rogue' again? My favorite part of the episode was the flashback to the Princess sister's 'battle' with Discord and Discord takes Celestia's tail. You have to wonder, if he had kept it, would it continued to sparkle and glow or would it eventually stop with the 'light show'? Oh well, as a Premier, it wasn't the best one, but it was good. 3 out of 5 stars from me.

Thinking back on Part 2 again:

Another reason why sending Twi back to town made absolutely zero sense: didn't the rest of the Mane 6 remember that all six Elements need to be together to work? You'd think it'd make sense to bring the Element of Magic along with the five others to that one Tree they all originated from.

Huh, maybe I should possibly consider watching this at somewhere at some point in time. Hmmm. All of the glowing reviews make me suspicious.

We will trap you with LOVE.

Also, I'm with Dio. I know the show will retain a sense of light fun and be very kid friendly, still the focus of course, but I think they realize that both the intended audience as well as their side audience are willing to invest in the characters as characters rather than pure archetypes. Combined with them feeling confident enough- getting a season beyond the 65 episodes can be a huge confidence building measure- and secure enough to take risks, and I do think it is a tonal shift.

I had no clue I was gonna love this. I am overcome with too much positive emotion toward the opener to give it a critical analysis just yet. For what it's worth, I almost don't really want to. I'm enjoying the thought of basking in the memory of that very Saturday. CBS even came over to the premiere party that my local Brony Meetup Group was at just to see what all the fuss was about. After that, we all went on a bar crawl and had a riotously good time.

They kinda didn't explain a **** thing about the finale, but the show proved it can be still entertaining and enlightening and easily connected with me all the same now though. Bring it on, Season 4. Bring it on.

• Like 3