Well it is finally that time of the year again! A new season of the show we love, Friendship Is Magic, is finally upon us! So here is the official discussion thread for the first two episodes, which are a two parter: Princess Twilight Sparkle.

This time we are doing things a little different, the thread is open from the beginning instead of time locked to the episode. Also, spoilers and screenshots are welcome, however we ask that they be under the 'Spoiler' tags.

So let's discuss!

800px-Twilight_in_stained_glass_S4E1.png

It's good to be the boss!

• Like 3

Okay. If S4s important episodes keep to this quality it will be the best season. The two partner was strong and provided us with several pieces of backstory, a new creature, and a new magical macguffin.

It confirmed some headcanon. debunked some as well.

IMO it was the strongest two parter in the series.

And that chest... I want to know whats in there.

I rather enjoyed the episode. I really enjoy how they kinda brought everything from all the seasons together.

This episode has left me a bit confused. I think it was interesting how every villain made a cameo of sorts. Discord and Nightmare Moon clearly appeared in the episode, but the particle effect for Sombra's magic appeared when Twilight turned the potion to white. What's more, the invasive plant life seemed to be based entirely on the Changling aesthetic. The similarity was so significant to be, I was banking on Queen Cheese-legs being the problem at the end. The plants were black with a blue-teal thorns, sharp pointed thorns, and large gouges in the leaves. I'm curious if this could be some heavy fore-shadowing that the series is not unknown for.

Further more, the title should clearly have been called "The Discovery of the New McGuffin!"

So much for an epic war between Celestia and Nightmare Moon. XD

Anywho, I'm giving this episode a 4 out of 5. Would be ranked higher except for one weird out-of-character part in the middle of Part 2. Still good overall.

I rather enjoyed the episode. I really enjoy how they kinda brought everything from all the seasons together.

This episode has left me a bit confused. I think it was interesting how every villain made a cameo of sorts. Discord and Nightmare Moon clearly appeared in the episode, but the particle effect for Sombra's magic appeared when Twilight turned the potion to white. What's more, the invasive plant life seemed to be based entirely on the Changling aesthetic. The similarity was so significant to be, I was banking on Queen Cheese-legs being the problem at the end. The plants were black with a blue-teal thorns, sharp pointed thorns, and large gouges in the leaves. I'm curious if this could be some heavy fore-shadowing that the series is not unknown for.

six keys... Twilight, Celestia, Luna, Discord, Sombra, and Chrysalis. They wouldn't dare make the six titans of MLP come together to open the chest with the one item that can defeat the true evil... would the writers do this to us?

Let the fun begin! Finally!

Edit: Interesting episode! I think it was great to see all the back story with Celestia/Luna/Discord, which helps patch some chronological holes we haven't been able to figure out until now.

Yes, loved those, but now I need to revise my app :(

All right, I've seen it twice now back to back, and I think I have my opinion of this two parter settled pretty good. ;)

Now, this is how you kick off a season of pony! It seemed to try for a lot of the same core elements as last season's Crystal Empire opener; mostly focused on Twilight and her decisions, offers up the promise of some action, features an impeding threat to best and ends with a heaping helping of intrigue to carry on for later in the season. The core difference is that, practically all of it was more successful here than there.

The first part was excellent build up. It did a good job of picking up where we last left off, with Twi and her friends still adjusting to her role as the princess. I find this pretty fascinating--not the wings thing, that'll get played out pretty quickly. I say, just let the Twidash bonding happen and move past that as soon as we can. I'm more interested seeing Twi react more to her title in general; the scene with her and the royal guards was interesting, as were her earlier scenes with Celestia. Tara does a very good job of capturing the conflicted emotions just right. And it's also interesting to see how her friends are taking it. This episode really portrayed Applejack in particular as being the voice of how things have definitely changed. I wonder if that will continue. Twi and AJ have never really had a bonding episode, come to think of it; their relationship is kind of hard to place. I wonder if this attitude from AJ will come to anything?

Then there's Discord. John de Lancie is just amazing. The episode really went lengths to stress that while the reform episode happened, with Discord that will only ever go so far. I wonder if that sates any of the neighsayers of that particular episode? For me, as a fan of Keep Calm and especially what Fluttershy did in it, it almost seemed overly dismissive of it all. Still, Discord made this episode a lot of fun, and I like how increasingly morally gray he's becoming. He was needed in the ep too, as since we didn't have a villain with a face, he could offer up the personality instead. I'm very interested to see what the writers do with him now, now that the mane six have nothing to hold over them (but friendship, in Fluttershy's case).

of course, perhaps the most interesting scene in a lot of ways was the most inconsequential to the plot. I'm not sure why Zecora would have or make a past-seeing potion she cannot use (and in fact only four ponies period can), but due to that device we got to see the showdown between celestial sisters. It was pretty epic too. One of the most intense action scenes I can recall in the show. Speaking of that scene, Celestia was absolutely awesome in these episodes. Nicole Oliver needs be commended for her amazing voice.

There were some other interesting pieces of new lore. The Tree of Harmony is somewhat interesting and cool. It makes me curious, being this tree underneath the abandoned overrun castle in the heart of Everfree. Also gotta say I liked the cragadile; it's always great to see new monsters show up, just so we can add more (canon) variety to our Everfree RPs. The Plunder Seeds were interesting, and I liked the look of the vines. It's hard to say a bunch of overgrown plants could take the place of a thread with a face, but at the same point they were probably actually more interesting an antagonist than Sombra. I do have to question though, if the vines came from the seeds, where did the strange spiky clouds come from? Was that just a natural result of the weakened magic of the tree of harmony? I suppose, probably.

The final thing to comment on is perhaps the most exciting, the ending. This certainly does change things. The Elements have always been the big deus ex machina big finisher. Will things now actually be harder for a while, even though Twi's an alicorn? we'll have to see. Also, gotta know what's in the box. Ooh, the mystery. I suppose will have to wait until finale time. :)

So yeah, I'm really, really impressed. I'd say it was my favorite two parter, but I'd still probably rate A Canterlot Wedding ahead of it, and that's really mostly on the merits of This Day Aria. A song really would have pushed this well over the edge, though I'd concede there probably wasn't room for one. All the same, I'm left hyped and am expecting amazing things now.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what to say other than "Yes!" I loved these episodes and cannot wait for more! I'm very happy they changed the intro just enough.

I love the new direction. Having given up the elements imo will make the show much more interesting. No more default solution to all of their problems. To me this not only opens the door for more creative solutions, but makes room for growth as characters. Elements were a crutch. Here's hoping for more of a questing feel this season with the search for the mystery keys(1 of which needs to be in Unyasi).

Ugh there is so much I am IN LOVE WITH! The Backstory, the sacrifice! DISCORD! I just HATED how quick they were to point hooves at Discord, even FLUTTERSHY got in on it :/ So what "Your reformed but we're still blaming you if something goes down" ? Dude if you don't LET people change they WON'T change..

I was surprised to see how accurate Lullabye for a Princess actually was to canon O-0 Overall I loved LOVED LOVED this episode, This Day Aria still makes Canterlot Wedding my fave but this 2parter is now 2# favorite episode.

After some well earned sleep and a morning cuppa, it's time for me to put in my two bits.

To quote from my Twitter post earlier this morning:

"Whew! What a premiere! Had a bit of trouble keeping up, but I think this season is going to be the biggest and the best yet."

Thoughts on the episode itself are below (spoilered):

The premiere episodes were fantastic! While it was a bit weird for me getting used to some of the new story elements due to being away from the show from quite a while, the episode itself was a spectacular on it's own and the backstory was also a nice addition, especially when it came to the Nightmare Moon part.

There were also a couple of scenes which had me a tad weepy for a little bit, especially in the second part where Twilight broken down after seeing Celestia and Nightmare Moon battle and towards the end of the episode where she had to break off from her friends.

Outside of the episode itself, the new animation style was very noticeable and also the new show intro was a nice touch.

Apart from that, a great premiere all round. It will be interesting to see how this new storyline will go into the remaining episodes of the season.

Eeee. It's felt like such an eternity since I've poked in here, and the Season 4 premiere seems like an excellent place to start. c: I was incredibly excited about this season, and I definitely wasn't disappointed by what they delivered.

I feel like they handled the balance of the show's past with the show's potential future. I think it was a wise choice to introduce the concept of the Mane Six's friendship changing because of Twilight becoming a princess. It threw a nice little kink into the mess, an brought a little something challenging to the table. It's definitely more interesting than the instances where that kink was not thrown in (The Season 3 opener comes to mind, where it was more "Twilight must do this alone!" and everyone understanding / deferring to her). It felt like a stronger Season 2 opening, where their friendship is actually tested, as well as introducing Twilight's new dilemma. It was refreshing to see Twilight struggle to cope with her responsibilities as a Princess, and how uncomfortable she was. c:

I thought the bit with the flashbacks was a little forced and could have been explored in a more adventurous way, though. That was probably my one complaint. It served its purpose, but didn't really offer much mystery or suspense to the ultimate conclusion. I would have liked them having to investigate before uncovering the root cause of the problem. The answer was more or less coincidentally thrust upon them.

Nevertheless, it was a great series opener. I'm super excited for the next episode, and that darn chest.

Eeee. It's felt like such an eternity since I've poked in here, and the Season 4 premiere seems like an excellent place to start. c: I was incredibly excited about this season, and I definitely wasn't disappointed by what they delivered.

I feel like they handled the balance of the show's past with the show's potential future. I think it was a wise choice to introduce the concept of the Mane Six's friendship changing because of Twilight becoming a princess. It threw a nice little kink into the mess, an brought a little something challenging to the table. It's definitely more interesting than the instances where that kink was not thrown in (The Season 3 opener comes to mind, where it was more "Twilight must do this alone!" and everyone understanding / deferring to her). It felt like a stronger Season 2 opening, where their friendship is actually tested, as well as introducing Twilight's new dilemma. It was refreshing to see Twilight struggle to cope with her responsibilities as a Princess, and how uncomfortable she was. c:

I thought the bit with the flashbacks was a little forced and could have been explored in a more adventurous way, though. That was probably my one complaint. It served its purpose, but didn't really offer much mystery or suspense to the ultimate conclusion. I would have liked them having to investigate before uncovering the root cause of the problem. The answer was more or less coincidentally thrust upon them.

Nevertheless, it was a great series opener. I'm super excited for the next episode, and that darn chest.

Nice theory, overall, I like the flashbacks. Wow, the crew really did a good job to kickstart the series once more. :)

Wow, Season 4 is off to a great start!

The flashbacks were a really neat element and the action was great, especially Nightmare Moon's confrontation with Princess Celestia. I also love how Discord was still... well, Discord, in spite of his reformation (old habits die hard, eh? :P ). Princess Twilight's initial uneasiness and her stepping up to her role was done nicely. Lastly, after learning about all these events surrounding the Elements of Harmony in the past, only to have them used one final time and then returned to the Tree to save Equestria, I realized how bold the creators of the show have been. I'm glad they kept permanent changes like making Twilight an alicorn princess. It gives the series continuity and really shows how the characters are growing together and changing as they learn. No longer having the Elements of Harmony was a good call, too. Not only did it prevent them from constantly being deus ex machinas, but it also saved them from a common trope where one episode's "ultimate weapon" becomes useless two episodes later. Now the Mane Six are developed enough and have been through enough to figure things out on their own without having to rely on the Elements to solve everything if the situation is too dire. As for the situation these episodes involved? Well, the Elements were directly involved so it worked great ^_^