So Why Isn't Rainbow Dash a Wonderbolt?

Since season one when Rainbow Dash did the extremely rare "Sonic Rainboom" and rescued Rarity and some of the Wonderbolts in front of a large crowd at the Young Flyer's Competition, it has been established that she is one the most skillful, athletic and fastest flyers around (even with her occasional bouts of performance nervousness). So the question people often ask, why isn't Rainbow Dash a Wonderbolt?

Given the below facts, she would seem to be a shoe-in:

• She won at least one Best Young Flyers Competition.
  • She has experience in management and teamwork as the head of the Ponyville Weather Department.
  • She managed to get into the Wonderbolt Academy and once there, excelled at it.
  • She was recruited by the Cloudsdale Relay team, which were all Wonderbolts, because they felt she had the talent to fly with them based on past experience.

However we all know she is not officially a Wonderbolt but instead still aspires to be part of the elite performance team. The question then is, why? When she seems so qualified after all. The easiest answer could be the writers want her to keep the motivation of someday joining her heroes as a plot point. That being said, it is four seasons in and it wouldn't hurt the franchise at this point to have her achieve Wonderbolt status and thus find new goals to aspire to, especially given that its been shown she could match their skill. Of course there may be very good reasons in universe why the opportunity hasn't opened up for Dash yet:

• She is famous for being the embodiment of the Element of Loyalty due to all that the mane six has done for Equestria. She is certainly a local legend in her adopted town of Ponyville and it would be safe to assume she has some notoriety in the rest of Equestria. This may count against her though because the Wonderbolts may fear they may be perceived as adding a celebrity to their ranks merely as a publicity stunt by the general population.
  • She is friends with Twilight Sparkle. Not something that would count against Dash before, but now Twilight is a princess the Wonderbolts may be reluctant to recruit because ponies may perceive Dash getting in solely, or primarily, due to the political clout of her BFF Twilight (it is possible Dash herself could be reluctant for the same reason).
  • There may be no room. It is hinted that there are only a small number of Wonderbolts and that number is set. If so, it may be there is simply no open slots for Dash to possibly fill, until for whatever reason, one of the Wonderbolts permanently leaves the team.
  • Going with the above, as someone in the Wonderbolt Academy, Dash may already be on the short list to join the Wonderbolts when a slot opens. Consequently though there may be others ahead of Dash on that list and it may be some time before she can join.

So what do you all think? valid reasons? Will Dash become a Wonderbolt this season? Next season? Or ever? Let us know!

hmm all good and vlid points and i agree with all the above stated but as with the case of Rarity "staying behind" in manehatten for a while longer to pursue her goals i don't see why Rainbow this time around have a 1-1 talk with SpitFire about joining as a member to confirm one way or the other seeing as they canonically remember her in the academy

anyway just my two bits

I saw that she's already capable to do so, but we have to take note that once inside, it's kind of like being in the military. You can't just visit your friends whenever you want and so forth. So I'm not so sure about this, but for now we cannot confirm that she'll officially say yes or no. Recruits and privates tend to be temporary until you reach corporal, now that's serious.

Because Spitfire will eventually retire and Rainbow will take her place as leader of the Wonderbolts, but only after a huge, mind-blowing episode/finale of some sort. We'll also see Rainbow's parents during this time and much fandom geekout will be had.

Because Spitfire will eventually retire and Rainbow will take her place as leader of the Wonderbolts, but only after a huge, mind-blowing episode/finale of some sort. We'll also see Rainbow's parents during this time and much fandom geekout will be had.

Someone expand on this synopsis and e-mail it to Hasbro.

I saw that she's already capable to do so, but we have to take note that once inside, it's kind of like being in the military. You can't just visit your friends whenever you want and so forth.

My in-universe theory (that also applies to writing/scripts) like Ghost said, Dash will, at best, have scheduling conflicts so no running off on adventures with her friends and more importantly no running off to save equestria unless she wants to give up being a 'bolt (though what a test that would be... give up her dreams or save her friends...)

Unless it's a test (as mentioned above, or a simple "join us or keep your friends, like with the SB back in 102) I dont expect her to join untill the series finale, but I think the show will end with her being a wonderbolt, showing the moral "if you world hard enough and never give up, you can achieve your dreams"

I think there's one more possible reason, though of course it hasn't been shown so much...

Dash has shown herself to be amazingly fast, skilled, and eager to improve. However, she's not as much for fine control, yet - and the Wonderbolts aren't about standing out and doing amazing solo stunts. They're about perfect formation flying.

I'm inclined to agree with Bramble. Rainbow Dash would probably need more intensive training before she's ready to fly as a Wonderbolt. Or perhaps she's already part of a Wonderbolt reserve squad. Who knows? :20:

Obviously, the truest answer is because she wants to stay near Rarity more than she wants to be a Wonderbolt. :razz:

because Rarity is Generosity, so she freely loans Dash bits for all those dates Dash has with the stallions*

*What, you think the guy pays for the date in this world?

well there are a few reasons I imagine,

1. as stated above the team is full and she needs to wait for a spot to open up

2. she is acually a wonderbolt (academy episode) just not on the team yet

3. some kind of paperwork or politics involved

4. she's always fighting monsters or saving the world, probablly doesnt have the time to perform

Dash has shown herself to be amazingly fast, skilled, and eager to improve. However, she's not as much for fine control, yet - and the Wonderbolts aren't about standing out and doing amazing solo stunts. They're about perfect formation flying.

Very true, and dont forget how she is easily distracted and her flying suffers... there is a good reason she's still occasionally called 'Rainbow Crash'

because Rarity is Generosity, so she freely loans Dash bits for all those dates Dash has with the stallions*

*What, you think the guy pays for the date in this world?

LOL! Love that idea (though I argue dash has plenty of bits since she lives in a freakin' mansion --- of course if you win, then racing probably plays WELL plus she has her weatherpony job)

She can be really ambitious in being a Wonderbolt, but knowing it inside and out is not always that easy and at 100%. Just like if you want to know how this company works and how they do, you must be an employee at that company to find out and stay there for a long time to learn. Although I cannot be sure if she'll be joining them when the canon storyline shows she'll be needed very often, not to mention we got the Games & even Scootaloo's flight problem still yet to be resolved.

She can be really ambitious in being a Wonderbolt, but knowing it inside and out is not always that easy and at 100%. Just like if you want to know how this company works and how they do, you must be an employee at that company to find out and stay there for a long time to learn. Although I cannot be sure if she'll be joining them when the canon storyline shows she'll be needed very often, not to mention we got the Games & even Scootaloo's flight problem still yet to be resolved.

Yeah, that ties into what Noir said about her not being ready on the fine-control end. If we need an in-universe reason, I think this is the one that is most "official" (i.e. if you asked spitfire why Dash wasn't in the 'bolts yet) though I think a lot of the others are considered too.

Yeah, that would be devistating to scootaloo to learn to fly while Dash was away, or worse to earn her cutiemark and not have Dash be the first one to see it...

I don't personally think Scootaloo *can* fly. I don't think this is a 'problem to be fixed'. I think she's disabled.

For the longest time, I thought this might be the case, but she showed a lot of progress last time, I'm very unsure now, they could be going with her just taking a long time to be able to do so (and personally I hope they are, though I'm not expecting it) Even if she doesnt though the other point I made still remains, she would be crushed if she earned her cutiemark and Dash wasn't around to see it.

Not seeing her cutie mark while being away is definitely create a sorrow. This will be awesome only when RD gets to hear this news upon the day Scoo gets it. When away for who knows how long at the academy, it will become old news easily and RD can just say congrats and then that's it. It's over after that. It won't be exciting when Pinkie can party for Scoo, if RD can't turn up on time, the celebration mood will die itself out.

Yeah, just like last time when she was complaining to Spitfire when she was given as Wingpony, she should have noticed that Lightning is a little big better on the Spinning Wheel thing. If only Soarin is there as their drill sergeant.

Archived