Official Discussion Thread - S04E16 It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

I've seen alot of complaints about Breezies being weak even though they seem to get along fine in their own dimension and only have trouble in a foreign world filled with huge dangers to them Its like saying humans are weak because when they go to the moon they can't even survive without special equipment People also don't seem to understand that they can withstand wind easier if drafting together in a large group

I liked the episode All the characters had sensible motivation and I liked that while Seabreeze the other breezies and Fluttershy were wrong in a way none of them were being outright malicious which is different then most stories It was also nice to see Fluttershy have an episode not centered on her being shy or taken advantage of

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the best, not the worst (Though also I might add it's a rehash in a way of one of the comic's sub-plots)

Fluttershy didnt want to let the breezies go even though it was best for them, in the pirate comic she didnt want to let her fish go even though it was best for him, so it kinda hurt the episode as a whole for me

Otherwise, it was cute and sweet, a nice breather episode (if not for the rainbow key I'd call it outright filler though). Nice lessons in it, some cute scenes with the breezies interacting with the oversized world (always liked the Giant/tiny interactions in stories) and personally I LOVED the callback and role-reversal in the pre-credits scene.

Lore-wise, like was said above, nothing particularly interesting except Twilight's "copy" spell (notice she blasted the breezies too? She wasn't transforming the M6 into breezies per se, she was transforming them into the form of the other creature she cast the spell on. If she'd done it the other way, the breezies would have probably become pegasai (which honestly was what I was expecting) The fanfic writers and fanart artists are going to have a heyday with this... -_-

An interesting point from TVTropes that I hadn't picked up on and was only addressed by I think 1 post... these are the slackers of the group, and seabreeze has been putting up with them for who-knows-how-long, even discounting his desire to get back to his family, this makes his attitude more understandable.

I also agree this was another 'toy commercial' plot. Though in that way I'd also say it's kidna Biting the Hand humor since they made the breezies seem rather unappealing and useless (not to mention disconnected) Would have been better to cut the part in fluttershy's house shorter and shown more of the breezies' world, maybe give the M6 a day to explore it before returning home or something at least clipshow-able... Really that would have done wonders for the episode imo...

Final thoughts: It was decent as far as fluttershy episodes go (though off the top of my head I can instantly name 2 that were better and none that were worse...), they're usually light and cute, but this was was TOO light and nearly anything could have made it better.

The Breezies add nothing to the FiM world. They are fragile to the point of being unable to do anything on their own. There is no real display of anything they can do that would make them an interesting addition-- we see nothing of the breezy magic mentioned early on.

The breezy magic was mentioned to be protective magic. They're protecting their cargo, which they need for their home dimension. Which means that when it's used properly, no, you don't notice it. Rather like how we never really see Earth Pony magic. And as elsporko said - it's like humans on the moon. They're in a strange giant dimension. Think about how many 'honey I shrunk the kid' scenarios we often have, where even the most mundane things suddenly become horribly dangerous.

I'll admit I wished Apple Jack would have delivered a 'not again' phrase when she shrunk down so small.

All we get is obnoxious voices

A matter of taste. I actually kinda liked the singsong quality of the Simlish .. er ... Breezish.

Like Rarity's scene, what was that about? (snip) All it really seemed to do was further emphasize how hopelessly helpless the breezies were.

Establishing that Fluttershy was REALLY nervous and overprotective, actually. So that when she started being overprotective of the breezies it didn't come out of nowhere.

At the beginning I didn't even think Fluttershy was over protective

Fluttershy was protective for sure but it seemed to me that it the show was actually acknowledging the many epsiodes she has where she has found her ability to stand up for what is important

Fluttershy was taking control of a situation where if things went wrong breezies would die

Oh yes, along with "Daring Don't," this is a really garbage episode. Most of the criticism from previous posters is merited, though I found Seabreeze's voice kind of fun, but that was mostly the accent. But when the Mane 6 'Breezies' spoke, God, it was like fingernails on a chalkboard. And this was definetly one of those Hasbro Overlord episodes trying to sell toys with an overabundance of cute imagery and fairy rubbish. which took precedence out of actual plot developing and humor. But that's to be expected. Just remember folks, no matter how we think the writers retain their integrity for the show, Hasbro's word is law, so I wouldn't act so shocked an episode like this would come out every now and then.

Before I chime in here with my thoughts on the episode, the Breezies in Equestria is NOTHING like Humans on the moon. We are going from a place with atmosphere to a place with virtually no atmosphere (earth has 10^13 more molecules on earth at sea level than the moon, as well as oxygen and nitrogen rather than potassium and sodium). It is not weakness to not be able to survive in that environment. Even bacteria need certain requirements that the moon would be unable to provide (though it is possible that some would be able to, I cannot discount possibilities that some organisms might be able to survive on the lunar surface).

A better comparison would be humans on Pandora from James Cameron's Avatar (I would have chosen an anime called Jyu-oh-sei, but I felt Avatar would be better well known, but really humans on the planet Chimera of Jyu-Oh-Sei is a far better example of comparison). That world had a significant atmosphere (though one which humans could not breathe), basically half of the things could kill the humans, including the air. And you know what? On that world, YES, humans ARE WEAK. We are not only not designed to live there, but are ill equipped to survive there without being very cautious, and even when they are, creatures on that planet still kill them. I could continue on, but in the end, yes, the breezies are terribly weak and helpless outside of their home dimension, more so than humans on Pandora (since they had everything needed for an organism to survive except the robustness). This is to the point where they cannot survive there for very long. And I'd like to remind that this is in comparison to SMALLER insects that survive in Equestria without issue.

Here is a question, they have protection magic... for their cargo. Why exactly, if they cannot handle a strong breeze (which, I remind gives them their magic), does their protection magic not only protect their cargo but themselves as well? They said several times in the episode that they had to slow the breeze down because the breezies would be hurt if the breeze was too strong. It doesn't seem logical that protection magic would only affect what they are carrying but not the carrier.

Like Rarity's scene, what was that about? it wasn't funny and it added nothing, save a certain level of doubt regarding some of Rarity's design choices (kind of like her awkward scenes in Rainbow Falls).

They seem to do this fairly often, where Rarity shows up wanting to show off some fashion attempt on her part. In my mind, it reminds the audience that Rarity isn't as good of a fashion designer and trend setter as she think she is, which explains why she still runs a dressmaking shop in Ponyville instead of being on the fashion forefront in Canterlot. Sometimes her designs are a meag-hit, and sometimes.... not.

Also it offered that funny line about how Rarity though it was too Purple but twilight insisted... Twilight being all "wait, what?" You can tell Rarity was just deflecting her uncertainty about her style choices onto her purple friend, knowing that the conversation never actually happened.

Here is a question, they have protection magic... for their cargo. Why exactly, if they cannot handle a strong breeze (which, I remind gives them their magic), does their protection magic not only protect their cargo but themselves as well? They said several times in the episode that they had to slow the breeze down because the breezies would be hurt if the breeze was too strong. It doesn't seem logical that protection magic would only affect what they are carrying but not the carrier.

I figured it was some sort of spell that was simple in nature that allowed them to collect the pollen, and once collected, not to fall out of their pollen saddlebags no matter what kind of breeze they encounter, even a breeze that is too hazardous for a Breezie to fly in or survive. In other words, the pollen is more important that the life of any individual Breezie because its critical to their species as a whole.

This is just speculation though; the episode didn't make much of an attempt to explain what their magic really was or why the pollen was so important.

As for smaller creatures able to survive well in Equestria; I assume it is because they evolved there.

I –liked- this episode. Wasn’t great, and I’ll probably end up forgetting about this one in a month or so, but I still liked it. Liked the design of the Breezies..Guess they’re the pony version of the ‘fay’. With all the cuteness in this episode, there was a little bit of darkness. Fluttershy basically warning these little guys if they don’t go home, they’re gonna die. And those bees. They were looking for blood! :?:

I figured it was some sort of spell that was simple in nature that allowed them to collect the pollen, and once collected, not to fall out of their pollen saddlebags no matter what kind of breeze they encounter, even a breeze that is too hazardous for a Breezie to fly in or survive. In other words, the pollen is more important that the life of any individual Breezie because its critical to their species as a whole.

This is just speculation though; the episode didn't make much of an attempt to explain what their magic really was or why the pollen was so important.

As for smaller creatures able to survive well in Equestria; I assume it is because they evolved there.

Yes, but if they can't make it back because they are so fragile it would all be for naught. Still doesn't make sense.

And that is exactly my point. In Equestria, Breezies are indeed weak and rather useless. There is no way around that.

Yes, but if they can't make it back because they are so fragile it would all be for naught. Still doesn't make sense.

And that is exactly my point. In Equestria, Breezies are indeed weak and rather useless. There is no way around that.

To be fair though, Equestria is a world where animals appear to need the ponies to help care for them, and not even the truly domesticated ones, but those found "in the wild". The Everfree is the exception where it is seen as strange that "the animals take care of themselves". So the fact the Breezies also need pony help to survive isn't that much of a stretch in my mind.

It is as if something happened long ago that disrupted the natural order in such a way that ponies and their magic are needed to hold the natural world together, or to keep it running right. The Everfree may be what is left over from those ancient times "before".

Pure speculation, but it make a good story idea for some fanfic writer. :P

To be fair though, Equestria is a world where animals appear to need the ponies to help care for them, and not even the truly domesticated ones, but those found "in the wild". The Everfree is the exception where it is seen as strange that "the animals take care of themselves". So the fact the Breezies also need pony help to survive isn't that much of a stretch in my mind.

It is as if something happened long ago that disrupted the natural order in such a way that ponies and their magic are needed to hold the natural world together, or to keep it running right. The Everfree may be what is left over from those ancient times "before".

Pure speculation, but it make a good story idea for some fanfic writer. :razz:

Tended to yes, mended, certainly, but not protected really, not to that degree at least. Also, she didn't need to protect the bees... Also still doesn't change the fact that what gives them their magic could also kill them.

And that is certainly a fun fanfic idea.

I seriously feel for SeaBreeze, I can understand how it feels to try and do something that I view as important but the group doesn't want to listen.

He had a home, a family, and a world he wanted to go safely back to, and was being held back from it, he was angry, and more than that? He was terrified, this world is too big, too hostile, and too scary for them to live in, staying would literally be the death of them and he just wanted to go home.

The Breezies needed subtitles. Also, why didn't they want to go back to their homeworld again?

Well they had just almost died on their journey

The breezies seem to use drafting techniques so the larger the group the easier it is for them to handle winds This is why the small group was unable to handle the wind the larger group could

I'm giving this episode a 3 out of 5. I wasn't actually all that bothered upon the initial watching; I was kinda busy thinking about how Sea Breeze resembled my Col. Pummel as presented in the Vapor Dep RP. While not as entertaining as the rest of Season 4, yesterday's episode didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth like Rainbow Falls, or Fluttershy's latest overcoming-shyness episode did. Plus I liked the lessons the principle characters learned.

Well, I'm not sure what's up with all these people saying it was a bad episode, but I certainly disagree. While, certainly not my favourite of all time, I did indeed enjoy the episode. In fact, thinking about it, I cannot really say what was wrong with it, I mean <3 Flitter <3 got some screentime and we even learned that Dash wouldn't mind being a griffon or a dragon for a while :) .

(I guess you always plan ahead, Ash, this'll certainly be interesting if we ever reach that point in the dragon rp ;) )

The breezies seem to use drafting techniques so the larger the group the easier it is for them to handle winds This is why the small group was unable to handle the wind the larger group could

Watch the episode again. They started out with a strong breeze and had to slow it down because at that strength the breezies could be hurt. They, as a group, can only seem to handle light breezes or at least breezes of certain strength. Again seems silly that the thing that gives them their protection magic for their cargo can also harm or kill them.

The other thing that bothered me was why was Sea Breeze able to ride a breeze solo but as a group there wasn't enough of them? Even though he wasn't able to ride it well he was able to get airborne.

You know what? As for the toy above, so what? I mean c'mon, this whole show's purpose is to sell toys. As much as we love it; as much as the characters worked their ways into our hearts with their great personalities and adorableness; as much as the writing has gone above and beyond; as much as the animation, the voice acting, and comics are amazing; it is there so Hasbro can sell toys. Canterlot Wedding that we loved? Specifically for toy selling a princess. Alicorn Twilight? Ditto. This whole season with the quest to unlock the mystery box... We know it is to sell rainbow power ponies, no matter how good the story may be. So why are people upset that "breezies are there just to sell toys"? I mean, durr!

Heck if I must be annoyed, I would be about the fact I couldn't get a Fluttershy figure without all that extra flair on her body these days, rather than the Breezie, which personally, I would be fine with.

We know it is to sell rainbow power ponies, no matter how good the story may be. So why are people upset that "breezies are there just to sell toys"? I mean, durr!

Heck if I must be annoyed, I would be about the fact I couldn't get a Fluttershy figure without all that extra flair on her body these days, rather than the Breezie, which personally, I would be fine with.

I couldn't possibly agree more with this, and I mean, yes it was was made to sell toys, but didn't they do a great job into making this an actual story? Heck, why are we even complaning anyways? Shouldn't we be glad that this amazing show exists? Shouldn't we be thankful for that?

Edit: We might want to watch out here, guys, this is seemingly real fast turning into a discussion about the fact that this is used to sell toys, rather than the actual episode...

I couldn't possibly agree more with this, and I mean, yes it was was made to sell toys, but didn't they do a great job into making this an actual story? Heck, why are we even complaning anyways? Shouldn't we be glad that this amazing show exists? Shouldn't we be thankful for that?

Edit: We might want to watch out here, guys, this is seemingly real fast turning into a discussion about the fact that this is used to sell toys, rather than the actual episode...

Despite popular belief you don't have to kiss Hasbro's butt for everything they spew out, Because I am sure a lot of people pitched a tyrannical fit at EQgirls so please don't tell us to just shut up if we don't like the episode which is how your opinion is coming across.

And my argument was never "THIS SUCKS BECAUSE IT SELLS TOYS'

I was merely replying to the posters comment about "Justifying the Breezies"

There is no need to justify them, they were brought in to sell toys, no justification required .

Archived