Winter Wrap Up: Plant Team

SteelEagle

Flora was terrified now. Sure, she could take care of herself on the road, she had learned that from her father, but this was entirely new to her. She had no idea what to do. All she knew was that she couldn't just stay there and freeze. With a shaky sigh, she stood and began walking towards the sound of somepony shouting. It sounded like whoever it was was trying to find the others. She headed in that direction for a bit, struggling against the snow and what was left of the wind.

Before long, she came across the tunnel, by falling through the roof of it with a shriek. She ended up landing on her back, right behind the group following the diamond dog. She looked over at them with a perplexed look on her face before hiding in her mane.

"Umm... S-sorry for c-collapsing p-part of your t-tunnel." Flora said as she righted herself. When the group started moving again, she followed them.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AppleBanner_zps8c0524a4.png

Applejack had never seen or felt or heard anything remotely like this in all of her years living on the edge of the Everfree and all the wild and dark arts that lay therein. She had experienced many violent storms but they either had purpose or reason to them. It was an odd thing but there were times when the Everfree seemed to have a tighter control of its environs than Equestria did- it just unleashed its chaotic offspring at them. More than a few trees had perished because of it and her farm overrun with many a disaster and nasty bit of critter but she had never thought that the Everfree would show its contempt for them in an even more egregious manner. To mess with the Winter Wrap Up was appalling, even for that nebulous region that seemed to have a special passion for screwing with Applejack. She had seen it all or at leas had seen enough to make that a realistic assumption. But what happened as she fought through the sheets of snow falling in thick layers over her eyes over the blistering wind shocked even her.

A snow tornado formed, its vortex and funnel creation escaping Applejack's sight. One moment there was sheets of snow and then it was upon her, the winds beyond anything else encountered. She tried to hold onto anything but all she could find was the unrelenting snow and she was sucked up.

"Whoooaaaa!" She bellowed to nopony in particular as she was caught up, twirled around in the air and made to feel like some sort of chew toy. The snow sliced about her face and whipped across her eyes, blinding her even further. She tried to fight and rage against it but she couldn't. Vut as soon as it began it was over, Applejack tumbling out of the small snow tornado as it darted across the field erratically. It shot her out with enough force to send her cartwheeling in the air towards a destination she couldn't even begin to see, her whole world various stages of white until she smacked against the ground. The growing pile of snow didn't do much to settle her fall and she went skidding across the ground a few extra yards...until she fell into a hole with some of the others!

"Annnnyyypony get tha number of that minotaur...?" She ased absentmindedly, eyes and head wobbling.

TczjcS9.png

Granny continued to examine Carrot Top's injuries and listened to her answers to her questions.

"Now, don't ya trouble yursenf none about all this! Ain't nopony could've expected all this..."

As the elderly mare spoke, the fierce wind whipped through the house. With the windows all open, the strong breeze began to blow all of the sandwiches and fixings all around where Filthy Rich and Brougham were standing.

"Jist stay right thar, miss! I gotta do somethin' bout all this breeze gitt'n in!" Granny said, as she got up on her four hooves and slowly moved her way up to the main open windows. Realizing she wasn't strong enough to close them with her front legs, the gray maned mare turned about and 'bucked' them closed, securing them with the metal sliding bolt locks after she did so. As fast as she could, Granny Smith did the same with every other open window on the first floor, and then pushed a special sliding storm wooden door over the front door area. At last, Granny Smith had managed to shut the whipping wind out of the kitchen area.

"Alrighty troops! Now that the wind's all locked out, we gotta git back to the task at hoof! I'll finish take'n care of mah patient an' the rest of y'all please keep fixin' sandwiches. Ponies gotta eat, even durin' a storm!"

The snow-tunnel was beginning to become quite crowded. Having some access to fresh air once again, Psmith's natural poise and verbosity slowly returned to him, though an expression of worry still surmounted his face. "We are here gathered today in joyous reunion, but alas! One seat remains empty." He shook his head. "No matter, let us proceed. Lead on, comrade Soft Paw; I trust you remember the way to the house?"

Just at that moment, Applejack came crashing through the snow-tunnel, knocking the wind out of the lavender unicorn once again as she landed on top of them. "Oof! If it rains cats and dogs, it snows ponies. This local meteorology is exciting in its way, but I wouldn't have thought any town plagued by it habitable until now. I crave the skies of my native city, enough their simple loveliness for me."

Psmith was starting to become self-consciously silly at this point; mostly to take his mind off the situation, and perhaps be a comic relief to the others. He'd often done so to relieve stress for his friend Might when the latter was tying himself in knots over a test.

Soft Paw hadn't quite expected his tunnel would be so popular. Ponies were falling into in left and right because of the thin roof, but at least there would be less ponies to search for later. Soft Paw continued to dig onward. The longer he took to dig, the longer they'd all be out in the cold!

"I trust you remember the way to the house?"

That would be well and all, except that they were going to find Appleja..........well never mind. Soft Paw tried to picture the fields in his head. If he changed the direction a little right.

"I think I know the way to the house, but I'm not sure." Soft Paw replied, making another air hole. He popped his head out to see if he could see anything, and lo and behold he could see a large shadow in the distance, large enough to be the house. "Never mind, I see it!" Soft Paw said, digging the tunnel directly towards the shadow he had seen. He tried to think how many ponies might still be out there, but he couldn't even be sure how many ponies there were on that field! All of the ponies he knew had thankfully found his tunnel, one way or another. With luck, all of the ponies caught in the storm would be safe, tunnel or no.

PeachyBanner_zps681adafc.png

"Yes! Over here!"

Peachy's ears picked up. That sounded close. Really close. His eyes darted around until he caught sight of the dark copper pony. Peachy smiled, but before he could speak, the stallion fell through the thin layer of snow and plummeted into the tunnel. Peachy quickly ducked into the hole with a small grin, delighted to know another pony is safe.

"Oh thank goodness." He assisted the stallion to his hooves. "Are you alright, love?"

Not long after their exchange, a squeal cut through the tunnel along with a 'THUD!' Another one? Peachy swung around to see somepony else had made it to their tunnel! It was a green mare, lying upside down behind him.

"Umm... S-sorry for c-collapsing p-part of your t-tunnel."

He nearly gasped at her apology. "You don't have to sorry, my dear." He helped the mare stand to her hooves. "Are you okay?"

'THUMP'

Somepony crashed into the tunnel, landing on the purple unicorn. As Peachy got a closer look, he realized it was Applejack!

"Annnnyyypony get tha number of that minotaur...?"

Peachy approached Applejack, chuckling at the purple unicorn's comment about it snowing ponies. His spirits were being lifted as more and more ponies made it to safety. As he neared Applejack, he could tell she was banged up quite a bit.

"You okay, love?" Peachy helped her off if the purple unicorn and levitated four tiny snow balls in front of her face. "How many snowballs am I holding up?"

When Soft Paw announced he could see the house, Peachy's lips curled into a wide grin. "Soft Paw, you are heaven sent! I just hope the others found refuge in there."

2ccsaxy.jpg

Even in the world of unconscious dreams, FIlthy Rich found himself in the business of wrapping sandwiches. Except here, he was in a unheated Stalliongrad factory in the dead of winter. There was only one conveyor belt... and there was only Mr. Rich present as a worker. His job: to make sure that every sandwich that rolled on the belt received proper wrapping so it could be sent further down the illusory chain.

For the first minute, Filthy accomplished this task successfully enough, not leaving any sandwich unpackaged. But the conveyor belt only sped up faster and faster, and the products themselves appearing in greater frequency. Soon enough, the stallion started missing some sandwiches in his job to wrap them, and then he started committing sloppy mistakes in a misguided attempt to keep up the pace. And the temperature in the factory only grew colder and colder. But the bumbling Filthy dared to press on, for no other option existed in his dream.

Of course, in the real world, Mr. Rich was still sprawled out on the kitchen floor. All his hard work lay ruined, the sandwiches too spoiled by contact with the floor and other surfaces for consumption. All his hard work was for naught; there would be no special treat for the ponies of Winter Wrap Up to eat.

Flora looked at the stallion that had approached her as he said she didn't have to apologize. She smiled slightly at him as he helped her up and asked if she was okay. She gave herself a quick check over before responding.

"Y-yeah, I'm okay." Flora said to the stallion just before another pony fell through, landing on a purple unicorn. She winced at the collision, but the unicorn seemed fine. Upon taking a closer look, the pony that had fallen through turned out to be Applejack. Thank goodness! That meant her new friend was safe. Plus it was one less pony to worry about. She wasn't quite sure how many had been on the field, but she hoped they all made it to safety. Flora walked up behind the stallion that had helped her and examined Applejack from over his shoulder. She frowned slightly at her friend's condition, hoping nothing had been damaged. She had learned some medicine from her dad, but it had all included the use of certain plants. Finding plants at all right now would be a struggle, let alone the ones she might need.

"Please be okay Applejack." Flora whispered to herself as the diamond dog, Soft Paw according to the stallion, said he could see the house.

redcedar90px.png Red Cedar

With so many ponies literally falling into the tunnel, it was starting to get positively cozy. Too bad it was also still freezing cold. Taking a quick head count, Red Cedar asked, "Okay, we have everyone?" and then immediately cursed himself for even asking it. "Almost everyone?" he corrected himself.

Patting Peachy on the shoulder with a hoof, he nodded. "Yeah, I'm okay," he said, before directing him back to Applejack. Trotting up behind Soft Paw, he asked, "Think you can get us there?"

“Oh what the hay,” grunted JavaSun as he soon found himself now locked in a battle with the worst blizzard he has ever seen in his life. While he knew he was incredibly late, he figured it'd be best to stop by his house first and go through his entire collection of resources to grab what he could spare. He remembered all to well when the plows or tows suddenly broke down in the middle of work from being over used past it's typical limit. And so attached to him was a trailer loaded with scrap metal and spare parts, along with a couple sets of welding torches. All of which was held down by a large blue tarp.

The pony kept his head low to keep it out of the worst of the wind. But it didn't help with the chill, nor the fact that he was shivering pretty badly. The wool cap he wore for the trip was already gone with the wind. The wind had done tore it off of his head, and sent it flying into the wilderness and out of sight. Not to mention that the storm had frozen the wheels of the trailer shut, so the pony had been dragging around nothing but dead weight, not that Java had noticed. The pair of goggles he wore allowed him to see against the chilling wind and buffeting ice storm. On the horizon he could barely see the fields where he was sure everyone on the plant team was... but he couldn't really see anyone.

“Oh man...” he grumbled to himself through cattery teeth. “HEY!? ANYONE OUT HERE,” he called out. He looked around, not quite stopping, but feeling himself slow down.

"Soft Paw, you are heaven sent! I just hope the others found refuge in there."

Well, that was something no one had ever said to him before! Soft Paw began to wonder though, how much of this was coincidence? Golden Compass had participated in this event for years, he must have known when it would be this year as well, but he still set up a trip to Stalliongrad. Then again, how could he have possibly known about or predicted such a storm would hit? Golden Compass was wise, but not psychic! With all of his thinking, Soft Paw's digging had slowed by about 25%. Thankfully, Red Cedar brought his attention back.

"Think you can get us there?"

"I know I can!" Soft Paw replied, doubling his digging efforts. He kept digging and digging and digging, and his paws were starting to get numb from the cold, but according to Soft Paw's calculations, they should be right about there. Digging another air hole, soft paw held his paws together to help the ponies get out of the tunnel. "Alright, we should be there now," he said so that everyone knew why he had stopped.

TczjcS9.png

In her busy rush to close all the doors and windows before returning to Carrot Top's side, Granny Smith had not noticed the unconscious Filthy Rich.. until now.

"LANDS SAKES! OL' FILTHY GOT KNOCKED OUT!" the elderly mare shouted as she finished wrapping Carrot Top's injured leg. "You best stay here and rest a spell, miss, I gotta nother patient ta tend to!"

Galloping over to the stallion, the instincts of 'Doctor' Granny immediately took over. Gently feeling the back of his head, Granny now realized what had happened to her long time friend.

"That thar's a nasty bump! Best stop the bleeding first before I revive'm," the gray maned mare said as she reached in her black bag for more gauze. Preparing a proper bandage, Granny Smith carefully wrapped his injured head. "Ok, now that the bleedin's under control, time ta wake'm up!"

Granny grabbed one more thing out of her black bag. A tiny sealed vial that she was about to open beneath Filthy Rich's nose.

"This here skunk root's got enough powerful smell ta wake the dead! If this don't git'm up, ain't nuthin' else will!"

Opening the vial, the pungent smell of the skunk root soon flooded the whole kitchen. Granny now realized she had a real emergency on her hooves. No time to think about fixing lunch now, now that this powerful storm had struck and she had a lot more 'doctoring' to do.

"I say, that is a fine word, almost. The most polite method of negation. We do not say that 'everyone is not here', we say 'almost everyone is here'." Psmith's good humor was a resilient beast, but Red Cedar's little slip had reminded him of his friend, who might possibly be in mortal peril without any way for Psmith to aid him. He tried to shake himself back into stoic calm, remarking to the diamond dog, "Lead on, intrepid explorer, let not these arctic elements dampen our vital spirits. Lead on, to glory, not the grave!"

They made remarkably quick time, for so cramped a group in so narrow a tunnel. It was with frank relief that Psmith surfaced for the last time, seeing in front of him a door. "Inquire a week from now at the Royal Society, and I shall see you have a medal, Comrade Soft Paw." The unicorn rapped on the door, not wanting to open it and let in winter unexpectedly.

Peachy relaxed a bit knowing everyone seemed to be okay. He followed behind Soft Paw, glancing behind him every now and then to check on the others.

Finally, they made it to the house. Peachy climbed to the surface with the help of Soft Paw and gave an audible sigh of releif upon seeing the front door.

The purple unicorn surfaced as well, speaking to Soft Paw.

"Inquire a week from now at the Royal Society, and I shall see you have a medal, Comrade Soft Paw."

"You deserve it" Peachy added with a sincere smile on his face. "If not for you, we'd still be wandering around aimlessly in that Celestia forsaken storm."

“HEY!? ANYONE OUT HERE,"

His ears perked up and the smile faded to a focused frown. "I hear someone!" Peachy said, pointing in the direction of the voice. "But just barely. He must be rather far."

He inhaled deep before shouting as loud as he could, voice cracking from the strain. "I CAN HEAR YOU! FOLLOW MY VOICE AND TRY TO LOOK FOR A HOUSE!"

Peachy fell into a brief coughing fit. He's never yelled quite this much in his life. Plus the frigid air was doing a number on his throat and lungs. He scanned the white void, listening for a response. Whoever they were, they had a ways to go before reaching them. Peachy turn to Soft Paw, his voice growing raspy. "After everyone makes it inside" He cleared his throat. "I think we should go after him."

Java was shivering much more violently at this point. He continued to stumble through the snow and battled against the winds. His breathing becoming much heavier after loosing the feeling of his hooves at this point. “Oh... wow... heh... heh... I'm in trouble... chief...” he mumbled to himself before finally coming to a stop. His eyes surveyed the landscape once more hopelessly. He was just about to detatch his harness and crawl into his trailer for refuge till he heard a voice over the howling wind.

"I CAN HEAR YOU! FOLLOW MY VOICE AND TRY TO LOOK FOR A HOUSE!"

The pony looked up after hearing the response and dipped his head down, trying to shake the thought of the cold away. “Thirty... degrees to the left...” he mumbled to himself, before slowly turning himself and the entire wagon around. He looked up once again, his eyes squinting through the frost that built up on his pair of goggles. He did see something, but he wasn't quite sure what it was just yet.

“I HEAR YAH,” Java called out, before finally detaching himself from the cart. He quickly turned around and shoved his head underneath the tarp. He could feel the wind beat on him, even with his head underneath the thick cloth. He scrounged around till he found a heavy bit of wood, and pulled it out along with a blowtorch. He struck the torch's pilot light, and lit both ends of the lumber. The heat already was enough to melt some of the frost that had built up on his lenses. He knew full well it wouldn't be enough to actually keep him warm in a storm cell like this. But it would be enough to keep him motivated, and his goggles clear. Plus the added benefit of visibility to others who may try to look for him.

He quickly extinguished the torch, and through it back inside the cart. He looked back up to the horizion he had heard the voice, and soon spotted something that may look like a house... or a barn. Which ever... it's a great place to be.

“I'LL BE THERE IN SEVEN MIKES,” he yelled over the winds. The estimated amount of time, however was only accurate to the point of where he had heard the voice. With no real landmark that he could fully determined, he was practically following loose ends. He reattached his harness. His head dipped down, to pluck up the burning lumber, then the lone pony set off in a gallop to what he hoped to be the house.

Carrot Top at least felt a little bit better with Granny Smith's reassuring words. The mare resolved though that injury or not she was going to help. After all, making sandwiches wasn't going to be that hard even in her state. still she wanted to know whether her injury was a simple sprain or one that would lay her up for some time.

Before she could ask though Granny ran off to first shut a few open windows and then an unconscious Filthy Rich being attended to. She could only lay as ordered by Doctor Granny Smith, hoping her prognosis was good.

Flora followed along with the group as Soft Paw dug towards the house. She was glad he was avoiding digging up the ground they had planted. That way they still had a chance to grow. They couldn't grow if they weren't planted. Of course, if this weather kept up they wouldn't grow either. The stallion that had helped her kept glancing back at her and the others, and she gave him a small smile in return.

Then Soft Paw announced that they had arrived at the house, and the purple unicorn and the nice stallion exited the tunnel. Flora exited next, giving a friendly smile to Soft Paw as he helped her out.

"Thank you, Soft Paw. Y-you're a g-good diamond dog." Flora said as she exited the tunnel. Then the nice stallion was yelling, probably at somepony he heard still out there. She watched the white expanse, listening for any kind of response. She faintly heard the voice, and again later, probably giving an estimate of his arrival time. What was a mike? And how long was seven of them? She looked over at the two stallions that had exited before her with obvious confusion on her face.

Java pressed on, his lounges felt as if they were on fire with all the cold air he was breathing in. His breathing now becoming shaky and rather rapid with short puffs of white smoke each time he wheezed. With the lack of feeling in most of his body now, his movements felt quite sluggish. But JavaSun was sure that he hadn't slowed his pace. “Three minutes down....” he whispered to himself through the burning wooden torch he held in his jaws as a way to edge himself on, “four mikes left.”

His head now began to feel a bit light as a dizzy spell took over. The chocolate colored pony stumbled for a moment, and had barely managed to catch himself from falling over. He panted for a moment, and looked up after hearing a small creak. His head tilted some as he lifted up an ear in confusion. A strange groan was coming from behind him... along with crackling. “Sounds like I am on...” he began and paused as a sneaking suspicion of alarm overcame him. A loud crack came and then a groan. The next thing he noticed was the cart behind him suddenly plunging downwards as the poor pony had been lifted into the air.

“CHECK THAT, AHM ON ICE,” he cried out. His hind legs kicked frantically as he was hoisted up by the harness. His fore legs quickly shot up to try and detatch himself from the wagon. But after a quick tap, he realized that the harness's bindings had literally been frozen together.

“NONONONONONONONO-, he screamed in terror as he quickly snapped his head back to bite down on one of his tools and quickly ripped a metal line from a device. Without much other thought, he slung it out to a nearby tree just as his lower body had been submerged into the ice water. His forelegs scrambled quickly against the snow as he was being slowly druged in. But thankfully for Java, the line had came through for him, managing to become taught just as he was hip deep in water. Of course the chill felt like fire at this point, managing to force a gasp out of the pony.

“O-Oh-oh... g-g-g-g-give...m-m-me a b-b-break...” he whined his tone nearing the point of a sob as he slowly pulled his heavy legs free from the water. Once he could regain his footing, he slowly began to pull the wagon clear from the water.

2ccsaxy.jpg

Granny Smith’s “cure” worked on the unfortunate stallion. Within mere moments of a horrid smell intruding on his dream, Filthy Rich gagged profusely to such an extent that he came back to the world of reality. Shooting upwards from the kitchen floor, he kept coughing at the odor of skunk root, almost sure he was going to throw up right then and there. When his eyes finally met Granny, Filthy could only ask one thing of the elderly apple mare; “*COUGH* *COUGH* What’s that smell? *COUGH* Can you get *COUGH* rid of it? *COUGH* *COUGH* *COUGH*” Filthy felt something rather nasty in his throat rising.....

redcedar90px.png Red Cedar

Red Cedar crawled from the tunnel near the house, patting Soft Paw on the shoulder as he did. "Nice work," he said on the way out. That was when he heard the screams of a pony in distress yet again, and looked over to find Java trying to extricate himself from frigid water. Trotting over quickly, he splayed himself low on the ice, crawling along until he was close enough to help pull Java and his wagon free of the water.

It seemed the pony was closer than he initially thought. He could see their silhouette amidst the blizzard along with a faint image of what seemed to be a wagon. Peachy almost sighed in relief, but then the cart began to sink, dragging the pony down with it.

“NONONONONONONONO-"

The pony's screams made the situation obvious. He was falling through ice.

"Ooooh dear."

Peachy galloped behind the dark copper pony who was also heading towards the scene. When Peachy neared the area, he instantly recognized the stallion.

"Java!?"

A pink cloak of magic surrounded the cart and with a the help of Java and the dark copper stallion, Peachy managed to lift it the rest of the way out of the icy water. After regaining his breath, he walked alongside Java, inspecting the submerged half of his friend. "Oh my goodness, are you alright? We need to get you inside immediately."

Java had only just managed to pull his legs free from the icy water. He shivered as the wind cooled down the wet portion even more as he then slowly rose up to his hooves. With a light pant, he took a few steps forward, till he felt the weight of the wagon. “C-c-come on... y-you're a Gear... y-y-you can pull outa this...” He tried stepping forward, but felt his hoof hit snow, and slid instead. He began to think about the effects of hypothermia. Low body temperature? Check. Can't feel anything? Check. Narrow vision? Check. Loss of rational thought?

“Oh... g-g-g-g-geezzzze. I-Ah goin-na b-b-be a pony-c-c-c-cicle at this rate,” He muttered to himself as he struggled to pull himself free. The chill had gotten through him enough, that he couldn't quite notice what was happening around him. Not even when the ponies had all came in to help. He felt the wagon budge, but only by an inch or so with the excess weight of the dense metal and wood inside. “O-o-oh, wh-what fl-flavor... would I b-b-be... I-ah d-don't know... chocolate. P-p-probably... b-be the f-f-f-first thing... a-a-anypony... w-w-would think. C-C-Ch-Ch-fudge pony-c-c-icle,” he nickered in weak amusement.

He bit down on the metal wire that had kept him from sinking back into the water, and tugged on it as hard as he could while also stepping forward. With his efforts, and those around him helping, the wagon had finally slid free of the water, and was carried a few more feet till the pony who was attached to it stopped at a nearby tree. Still shivering, though much weaker, he kicked the wire hook free and let it snake it's way back to it's holster.

He began to trot once more. His mind mostly set on finding the house before he actually became a chocolate pony ice-cream treat. However, he did jump after hearing a voice near him. He glanced around for a moment, and then raised a hoof to lift up his frosted goggles. He saw a very familiar pink pony. “Who the-O-oh? Peachy,” he gasped tiredly, before looking back to the lake. He noticed the other hoof prints and ponies that had been gathered around near the ice. “Yall pulled me out? Oh th-thank you... you're such sweet hearts... A-ah owe you all. but...” He quickly noticed Peachy looking to his flank. If he had any heat left in his body, he'd probably be on fire with a glowing blush by now. Though it was quite a horrible time for anyone to be checking another out. He'd slowly shuffle to the side bashfully, but the wagon he was locked to prevented any movement. His tail sort of twitching for a moment, but it didn't move. Maybe the poor pony's rational thought was now leaving as well.

" P-probably... isn't what it looks like..." he thought while he looked back to his own self. Ice had practically already began to form around him. Not to mention the loss of all feeling in... well all over in general. And well the lack of his usual dosage of coffee... and just general lack of energy. His tone quickly adopted a sarcastic note for just a few words, “Erm... oh yeah... yeah.,. I am... peachy... just fine... fine maybe... just fine... just fine.... I-I-I think. Cold....but....fine... I can live. Check that, I can't feel...anything. I.... th-think that's bad... r-right?”

TczjcS9.png

Granny Smith was delighted to see her 'wake up remedy' had worked so well on Filthy Rich.

"Glad ta see ya awake now, Filthy! Ya best rest fer a spell, ya got bonked by some flyin' debris in the house an' got knocked out colder than a mackeral! I stopped yur bleedin' but fer now, jist stay put."

The elderly pony now returned to Carrot Top.

"I'm back, Miss. Looks like ya jist have a sprain, no broken bones that I kin see. I'd give ya somethin' fer the pain, if'n I had anythin' ta give ya. Fer now, yur jist gonna have ta live with it. If'n yur well enough, once all this commotion ends, could ya help us makin' sandwiches fer the hungry crew?"

Despite Psmith's repeated knocking, nopony from within answered the door. "I believe the normal interlude for politeness, defined as the amount of time it takes for equine blood to freeze solid in one's hooves, has long passed. Let us housebreak, and burgle some home comforts." With that, Psmith began to attempt to pry open the door. Given that the wind had picked up again, it was fortunate that the door opened inward, otherwise it would have been quite impossible to budge it.

After half a minute's worth of dislodging the ice, a sudden gust blasted the door open, knocking Psmith inward like a billiard ball and neatly depositing him in the corner pocket, in a pile of fallen sandwich ingredients. He sprang up, calling out over the howling housebreaking winter gales, "Have you no comforts for the Hearthswarming Mummers? We come to enact the old miracle play, 'The resurrection of dead limbs,' followed by, 'The thawing of the Frost Ponies.'"

2ccsaxy.jpg

Staying put was very good advice for Filthy Rich to follow. It’d take several minutes at least for his raging headache to subside. Until then, Filthy wouldn’t be useful for pretty much anything at all. Despite that, it wouldn’t be very comfortable to rest on a kitchen floor, would it? Especially when it still stank bad in there. Keeping a hoof to his bothersome head, Mr. Rich wobbled his way over to where “Doctor” Smith kept her other patient; “Would it be too much trouble if I rested here, Mrs. Smith?” The headache better go away soon, because it seemed like the freak snowstorm was going to cause trouble everywhere that needed to be fixed.....

Archived